Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Greybottle wrote: »

So, if I've got this right, almost all of >Maynooth-Clondra (Shannon) is done?

That's my understanding. It's rough from Maynooth to the 13th lock at Intel, and gravel to Confey, earth to Clonsilla, Muck/treeroots to Castleknock and hard surface to Phibsboro, Pedestrian paths only down to Binns Bridge, and hard surface to North strand road. Impassible from there to Sherrif street, and a cycle path to the Liffey from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Farmers’ group opposes Ring of Kerry greenway plans

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/farmers-kerry-greenway-plans/

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Updated map with proposed Glanmire Greenway from here. I get the feeling there are a number of these 'local' greenways that are flying under the radar. Please let me know if you know of anything like this, or improvements made to greenways in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Looks like the map can be updated. The potential greenway along the Shannon from Limerick City to O'Brien's Bridge can be changed to 'proposed'.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/07/03/key-tourism-projects-targeted-by-e2-3-million-fund/

Fantastic :D I always like upgrading the colour of routes!

• Advertisement

Is it just yourself that can change the map? I see that there's a section in Limerick City that is marked as completed. It isn't even proposed as far as I am aware!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

That proposed underpass under the N21 to the lookout at Barnagh has great potential. There are incredible views over the Golden Vale farmland from that point. With recent weather it would be a great lookout at sunrise. I wonder could you see it being extended to Limerick city then, a real comnuting option.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Updated map with proposed Glanmire Greenway from here. I get the feeling there are a number of these 'local' greenways that are flying under the radar. Please let me know if you know of anything like this, or improvements made to greenways in your area.

It's great when you can update your map but the problem re greenways and greenway proposals springing up everywhere is that the €55 million which is apparently what's earmarked over the next 4 years wont go anywhere near completing even a fraction of the and many communities will be disappointed. Shane Ross keeps quoting this €55m to everyone who asks, latest time I saw it was yesterday via a tweet from Brian Hayes MEP citing an email from Shane Ross. €55 is chicken-feed in light of the pent-up demand for safe and enjoyble cycling infra so with General and Local Elections coming up think we'll need to tell our representatives that #IBikeIVote and it's time to #Allocate4Cycing

zulutango wrote: »
    Is it just yourself that can change the map? I see that there's a section in Limerick City that is marked as completed. It isn't even proposed as far as I am aware!

At the moment its mostly myself doing it, if anyone with different information wants to lend a hand I'd be glad to give them editing permissions. Where in Limerick isn't marked correctly? I think I based most of the routes there on what I could see on streetview/sattelite, and a few articles about various greenways there. Don't get much chance to go to Limerick so I don't have much first hand information.
    It's great when you can update your map but the problem re greenways and greenway proposals springing up everywhere is that the €55 million which is apparently what's earmarked over the next 4 years wont go anywhere near completing even a fraction of the and many communities will be disappointed. Shane Ross keeps quoting this €55m to everyone who asks, latest time I saw it was yesterday via a tweet from Brian Hayes MEP citing an email from Shane Ross. €55 is chicken-feed in light of the pent-up demand for safe and enjoyble cycling infra so with General and Local Elections coming up think we'll need to tell our representatives that #IBikeIVote and it's time to #Allocate4Cycing

Agreed, the NI greenway network (which is mostly just the main corridors and a few secondary routes for tourism) is estimated at £175 million, which is dirt cheap in terms of Goverment level funding, but given the clamour for greenway initiatives happening all over Ireland at the moment that €55 million figure is looking decidedly puny. I would suggest however that a similar 'Island greenway network' be proposed at the government level as part of any announcement on funding, especially as it would create a focus for projects and encourage them to link together disjointed sections.

The highlighted section on the screenshot would be a fantastic greenway but it's a long way off I think. I don't even know if it's proposed. At the moment there is a narrow concrete path along some of that section but you wouldn't be able to cycle on it. Most of the rest is a muddy, broken semi-collapsed track that isn't even walkable. It is effectively offroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The highlighted section on the screenshot would be a fantastic greenway but it's a long way off I think. I don't even know if it's proposed. At the moment there is a narrow concrete path along some of that section but you wouldn't be able to cycle on it. Most of the rest is a muddy, broken semi-collapsed track that isn't even walkable. It is effectively offroad.

That goes past St Mary's Park/King's Island area, not exactly a place I would like to be cycling past with young kids.

That goes past St Mary's Park/King's Island area, not exactly a place I would like to be cycling past with young kids.

Firstly, it doesn't. It's across the river from King's Island. The area is fine.

Secondly, even if it did, that's even more reason to put a Greenway there. The St. Mary's Park area has been fairly isolated for a few generations and that's one of the main reasons there's such social deprivation there. I'm not saying there wouldn't be challenges, but over time a Greenway would be very good for the area.

Thirdly, people from lower socio-economic backgrounds deserve cycling infrastructure, such as Greenways, just as much as everybody else.

Thanks for highlighting that, I have moved it to proposed, I should probably put it in potential as I can't find any of the articles I had previously marking it as done or in any way suggested, if you can find any let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

At the moment its mostly myself doing it, if anyone with different information wants to lend a hand I'd be glad to give them editing permissions. Where in Limerick isn't marked correctly? I think I based most of the routes there on what I could see on streetview/sattelite, and a few articles about various greenways there. Don't get much chance to go to Limerick so I don't have much first hand information.

Agreed, the NI greenway network (which is mostly just the main corridors and a few secondary routes for tourism) is estimated at £175 million, which is dirt cheap in terms of Goverment level funding, but given the clamour for greenway initiatives happening all over Ireland at the moment that €55 million figure is looking decidedly puny. I would suggest however that a similar 'Island greenway network' be proposed at the government level as part of any announcement on funding, especially as it would create a focus for projects and encourage them to link together disjointed sections.

And how much of that £175m have they actually spent since it was published?

And how much of that £175m have they actually spent since it was published?

Well thats just the published cost of the whole network, not how much has been made available so far. About 100-200k has been made available so far with councils having developed proposals in competition for funding to bring them forward, I believe it had been narrowed down to 4 routes progressing at the moment to planning application stage. Having an overarching scheme for Countrywide greenways and a full price tag that people can look at and say 'so we are spending x billion on these roads/railways/hospital costs, and for only 4/500 million we could absolutely cover the country in a cycling/walking network which would save the HSE x billion over the next 20 years?' Gets people thinking about it and gives a proper target for transport ministers to fund towards instead of pulling a random million figure out of their arse.

Well thats just the published cost of the whole network, not how much has been made available so far. About 100-200k has been made available so far with councils having developed proposals in competition for funding to bring them forward, I believe it had been narrowed down to 4 routes progressing at the moment to planning application stage. Having an overarching scheme for Countrywide greenways and a full price tag that people can look at and say 'so we are spending x billion on these roads/railways/hospital costs, and for only 4/500 million we could absolutely cover the country in a cycling/walking network which would save the HSE x billion over the next 20 years?' Gets people thinking about it and gives a proper target for transport ministers to fund towards instead of pulling a random million figure out of their arse.

Of course I agree with you re networked routes & €110m for their smaller area is better than €55m for here but comparison with NI is not entirely relevant. Afaik the 4 routes you mention are cross-border greenways being developed with mainly EU funding & the odd thing is that a criteria for fundig was that the routes had to be commuter routes. Hence Derry/Inishowen for eg which has gone to public consultation. On the other hand, while our greenway strategy hasn't been published yet the emphasis is overwhelmingly on tourism and tourism revenue and greenway groups seeking funding have to pitch their bid accordingly. Obviously any infra will benefit locals too.

Of course I agree with you re networked routes & €110m for their smaller area is better than €55m for here but comparison with NI is not entirely relevant. Afaik the 4 routes you mention are cross-border greenways being developed with mainly EU funding & the odd thing is that a criteria for fundig was that the routes had to be commuter routes. Hence Derry/Inishowen for eg which has gone to public consultation. On the other hand, while our greenway strategy hasn't been published yet the emphasis is overwhelmingly on tourism and tourism revenue and greenway groups seeking funding have to pitch their bid accordingly. Obviously any infra will benefit locals too.

At least one of the routes I was referring to as getting funding is the Newcastle to Downpatrick greenway (Mountains of Mourne Greenway) which would be much more of a tourist route than a commuter route. The biggest 'commuter route' plans I've seen anywhere in Ireland are the Dublin Area cycle plan. Belfast has a cycle plan too but its received numerous objections from commuting cyclists for not including protected cycleways along the main transit corridors and relying on silly things like routes through parks that close at dusk. True Greenways are almost always tourism focused, although with benefits for locals and a fantastic alternative route for anyone wanting to travel cross country on foot or by bike. But linking them into a cohesive network is important for encouraging things like Dutch style cycle tourism, and also for getting groups together to form a stronger funding base, if you want a greenway in your area its much better if you can go to the council/government with 'We have a detailed design for building the planned greenway connecting Euro Velo route 2 to the Great Western Greenway" instead of "Wed like to get a greenway from Lenanne to Maam Cross"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Part of the map along my commute seems to be wrong.

455013.png

The marked (green) path is actually a pitch and put course. There may or may not be a path through it, but it's not always open in any case. I've marked the actual cycle route in red.

Edit: That's near Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin btw.

Part of the map along my commute seems to be wrong.

455013.png

The marked (green) path is actually a pitch and put course. There may or may not be a path through it, but it's not always open in any case. I've marked the actual cycle route in red.

Edit: That's near Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin btw.

Thanks for that, I was sure I traced that out from the satellite view but I must have ballsed it up !

True Greenways are almost always tourism focused, although with benefits for locals and a fantastic alternative route for anyone wanting to travel cross country on foot or by bike. But linking them into a cohesive network is important for encouraging things like Dutch style cycle tourism, and also for getting groups together to form a stronger funding base, if you want a greenway in your area its much better if you can go to the council/government with 'We have a detailed design for building the planned greenway connecting Euro Velo route 2 to the Great Western Greenway" instead of "Wed like to get a greenway from Lenanne to Maam Cross"

The Greenway groups I am familiar with re very conscious of the need for a network & are planning accordingly but the actual funding available will have to greatly increase.I did a submission to the Greenway Strategy myself and stressed the need for a network It means though, that counties have to cooperate to get funding across county borders. Between the involvement of TII, NTA, Waterways Ireland, Dept Ag (via Rural Recereation Scheme Grants) DTTAS & Local Enterprise Offices it's hard to join up the funders/builders never mid the actual greenways!

• Advertisement

The Greenway groups I am familiar with re very conscious of the need for a network & are planning accordingly but the actual funding available will have to greatly increase.I did a submission to the Greenway Strategy myself and stressed the need for a network It means though, that counties have to cooperate to get funding across county borders. Between the involvement of TII, NTA, Waterways Ireland, Dept Ag (via Rural Recereation Scheme Grants) DTTAS & Local Enterprise Offices it's hard to join up the funders/builders never mid the actual greenways!

Well thats the main thing about there being a 'Published' network plan that is a benefit, the estimated cost of the whole network would have to be calculated, and then theres a funding target to 'aim' for.

Hi OP, DTTAS Greenway Strategy finally published today! I wonder how quickly you'll be able to amend your "potential" and "planned" Greenways to complete!

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2018/ministers-launch-strategy-future-development-national-and-regional-greenways

http://www.dttas.ie/tourism/english/greenways

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kerry greenway: 197 landowners told of compulsory purchase orders
    Council says it has to force land sales after failing to reach agreement after four years
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/kerry-greenway-197-landowners-told-of-compulsory-purchase-orders-1.3615772

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Kerry greenway: 197 landowners told of compulsory purchase orders
    Council says it has to force land sales after failing to reach agreement after four years
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/kerry-greenway-197-landowners-told-of-compulsory-purchase-orders-1.3615772

About time, they really should be limiting these agreements to 1-2 years and then forge ahead. These farmers dont realise what it can do for the local community etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭woody1

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SpudBr

I have just cycled the Athlone to Mullingar - absolutely lovely and very peaceful .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am a great fan of greenways and their potential and welcome the expansion of a greenway network nationwide. However I also believe there is untapped potential in onroad cycling on quiet rural roads. Ireland has the most extensive network of public roads per square mile of almost any country in the world. I recently cycled nearly 50km through stunning scenery on quiet rural roads with grass down the centre in the north west of Ireland. In all that time I met 5 cars one quad and one tractor.
    Is there a potential to develop some of these little used routes for long distance cycling trails. Possibly through the use of signage, restricted speed limits and coloured, perhaps green, tarmac when resurfacing?
    It is possible to travel huge distances in rural ireland along this network of minor, little used backroads.
    They are already in public ownership and with a little imagination could be used to link greenways or create safe, scenic long distance cycle routes.

The current marked long distance cycle routes in Ireland leave a lot to be desired.
    The Tour dHumbert Route is difficult to get any information on.
    I have yet to find a map online of the Northwest Trail. It’s website is full of generic stock images under headings like culture, which shows a picture of an African tribe?
    The Kingfisher Route also seems to have gone by the wayside.
    Should we seek to develop onroad cycling as well as greenways?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Cork County Council announced in the past couple of days that they are progressing with the early planning stages of the Midleton to Youghal greenway

Greenway Announcment

Green Party is agin' it, though

De Paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I am a great fan of greenways and their potential and welcome the expansion of a greenway network nationwide. However I also believe there is untapped potential in onroad cycling on quiet rural roads.

Should we seek to develop onroad cycling as well as greenways?

I'd subscribe to this idea too. For the majority of my long cycles I plot a route that avoids main roads where possible and or busy secondary roads. There are so many enjoyable routes to be found about the place where you'd rarely encounter another car. Abroad a lot of minor roads I've cycled would have bicycle signs and when running broadly parallel to main roads would have only local access cars.

The only issue I'd see is how to regulate local access only routes here without some stick such as bollards / traffic calming to avoid rat runs around certain populated areas.

Advertisement