Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

nilhg wrote: »
    I can't see those old railway lines being a runner, a quick look at your map shows that in many places the line is completely gone and often runs across big agricultural fields.

In many of those places the farmers essentially just 'moved in' to the land after the railway closed, legally they likely have ownership after so long in their possession (case in point the Kerry Greenway debacle) but I think if a major awareness campaign/charm offensive went out to them it could change their views on the idea. A lot of those old railway lines, even ones closed a long while ago, are currently being very seriously looked at by councils for routes so its not just my wishful thinking on the matter, the more successful greenways on old rail alignments the easier it will be to argue the case for future ones.

I think a huge boost would be Irish Rail working with the rail based greenways to encourage bike tourism by rail, have a carriage like in the Netherlands for 'greenway specials' to carry a rake of bikes and owners to the trailheads. (Obviously this is my own insane pipedream scenario but I reserve my right to wistful thinking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I think a huge boost would be Irish Rail working with the rail based greenways to encourage bike tourism by rail, have a carriage like in the Netherlands for 'greenway specials' to carry a rake of bikes and owners to the trailheads. (Obviously this is my own insane pipedream scenario but I reserve my right to wistful thinking

Wistful thinking indeed. Bringing your bike anywhere on Irish Rail services is an adventure in itself. There's always a bit of suspense if you're actually going to get the bike on the train at all.

I'd to travel with my bike in the hallway before, standing all the way from Dublin to Athlone. I was lucky i got it on at all it seems as i was told by the guy with the sweets trolley on the train that i shouldn't have had it on if the two cycle racks on the train were already full. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

In many of those places the farmers essentially just 'moved in' to the land after the railway closed, legally they likely have ownership after so long in their possession (case in point the Kerry Greenway debacle) but I think if a major awareness campaign/charm offensive went out to them it could change their views on the idea. A lot of those old railway lines, even ones closed a long while ago, are currently being very seriously looked at by councils for routes so its not just my wishful thinking on the matter, the more successful greenways on old rail alignments the easier it will be to argue the case for future ones.

I think a huge boost would be Irish Rail working with the rail based greenways to encourage bike tourism by rail, have a carriage like in the Netherlands for 'greenway specials' to carry a rake of bikes and owners to the trailheads. (Obviously this is my own insane pipedream scenario but I reserve my right to wistful thinking)

One old line I always thought would have made a great greenway is the Naas-Baltinglass-Tullow line, lovely varied countryside, nice country towns to visit and in a fairly well populated part of the country, most of the road and river bridges are still there and sound and solid enough to take greenway traffic, so you'd imagine it's a no brainer but I just can't ever see it happening, I'll show two examples of why but there are loads more.

Here outside Dunlavin the old line runs parallel to the road, there are 3 houses built on it, move a little up and down on streetview and you'll see the old bridges still there.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0770374,-6.6979559,3a,75y,205.43h,92.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-4J5uF4eZ_2nPs6GqJWZLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here near Giltown, you'll see where a dairy enterprise is using the old railway underpasses to move their cows to and from pasture at milking times,

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0967734,-6.7051848,661m/data=!3m1!1e3

Streetview from one bridge

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0985139,-6.7046106,3a,75y,107.94h,97.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8HWscKx39OAdTo6uS0P3Bw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On most of the other old railways that I'm aware of in my general area (Kildare, West Wicklow, Laois, Offaly) the story is the same, sure you could work around some of the obstacles but there are so many in most places I can't see it happening

nilhg wrote: »
    One old line I always thought would have made a great greenway is the Naas-Baltinglass-Tullow line, lovely varied countryside, nice country towns to visit and in a fairly well populated part of the country, most of the road and river bridges are still there and sound and solid enough to take greenway traffic, so you'd imagine it's a no brainer but I just can't ever see it happening, I'll show two examples of why but there are loads more.

Here outside Dunlavin the old line runs parallel to the road, there are 3 houses built on it, move a little up and down on streetview and you'll see the old bridges still there.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0770374,-6.6979559,3a,75y,205.43h,92.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-4J5uF4eZ_2nPs6GqJWZLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here near Giltown, you'll see where a dairy enterprise is using the old railway underpasses to move their cows to and from pasture at milking times,

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0967734,-6.7051848,661m/data=!3m1!1e3

Streetview from one bridge

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0985139,-6.7046106,3a,75y,107.94h,97.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8HWscKx39OAdTo6uS0P3Bw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On most of the other old railways that I'm aware of in my general area (Kildare, West Wicklow, Laois, Offaly) the story is the same, sure you could work around some of the obstacles but there are so many in most places I can't see it happening

I'm not suggesting it would be particularly easy, but its been done in other areas (A good few houses on the Great Western needed to be bypassed). It really depends how successful the current push for greenways is and how much return Councils expect from them, Would love to be able to spin down to Baltinglass and beyond from Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What's already starting is that farmers who were adamantly anti-greenway are starting to get greenbills green lights in their eyes as they see the existing greenways bringing tourist money to the areas where they exist.

It's been a hard start, but we'll soon be pushing an open door.

I particularly like the concept of wistful thinking, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm thinking of cycling up from Graiguenamanagh this Sunday on the Barrow Way and the Grand Canal path. Would the grassed areas on the Barrow way be a bit too much of a slog this time of year.

I'd be on a CX bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Any word on the Cherrywood - Cournelscourt greenway? I've been trying to find out if it's going ahead, but no luck so far... seems to have gone dead.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Any word on the Cherrywood - Cournelscourt greenway? I've been trying to find out if it's going ahead, but no luck so far... seems to have gone dead.

I couldn't tell you right off, for all I know its been completed and there was just zero fanfare about it, the local routes seldom get any major press. If someone was willing to swing by that route and give an update I'd be more than happy to add it to the completed list if its done!.

I couldn't tell you right off, for all I know its been completed and there was just zero fanfare about it, the local routes seldom get any major press. If someone was willing to swing by that route and give an update I'd be more than happy to add it to the completed list if its done!.
    It seems to be stalled. No work has been done on it. There is opposition from The Park housing estate, Brennanstown Square where the residents don't want it coming through and also by locals who don't want it going through Cabineteely Park...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It seems to be stalled. No work has been done on it. There is opposition from The Park housing estate, Brennanstown Square where the residents don't want it coming through and also by locals who don't want it going through Cabineteely Park...

The only thing I can see in DL&RCC docs is a short mention of "Cabinteely Park Masterplan Upgrades to 2 gate lodges, greenways, car park and entrance."

• Advertisement

The only thing I can see in DL&RCC docs is a short mention of "Cabinteely Park Masterplan Upgrades to 2 gate lodges, greenways, car park and entrance."

Heres the proposal: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1szF7NfED3Tx1nLh0ZcXfJ8_Lue0CKxL2

It would be great for locals, particularly with Cherrywood being developed and new leisure facilities there...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mazza

De Bhál wrote: »
    I'm thinking of cycling up from Graiguenamanagh this Sunday on the Barrow Way and the Grand Canal path. Would the grassed areas on the Barrow way be a bit too much of a slog this time of year.

I'd be on a CX bike.

I did Dublin to St Mullins the weekend before last on Grand Canal - Barrow Navigation - Barrow.

For the most part there was a path with short / no grass, though some bits the grass was longer (like your garden before you cut the grass), but they were short enough stretches. Nothing major in the way of mud, mainly hardpacked and not sticky really. The entire route was fully passable, no detours.

I was on a hybrid with MTB tyres (2.3"), and full up-and-over panniers. Average speed of just over 10 kmph including all breaks (short-ish, none more than 20 mins). I was alone and did it over two long enough days. A slog? Yes, but sorta what I was there for!

Any queries, just let me know. Have a good time!

mazza wrote: »
    I did Dublin to St Mullins the weekend before last on Grand Canal - Barrow Navigation - Barrow.

For the most part there was a path with short / no grass, though some bits the grass was longer (like your garden before you cut the grass), but they were short enough stretches. Nothing major in the way of mud, mainly hardpacked and not sticky really. The entire route was fully passable, no detours.

I was on a hybrid with MTB tyres (2.3"), and full up-and-over panniers. Average speed of just over 10 kmph including all breaks (short-ish, none more than 20 mins). I was alone and did it over two long enough days. A slog? Yes, but sorta what I was there for!

fair play, thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Raven seems to be enjoying himself. Lovely dog. If I left my lad off the lead there he'd have been swimming to kilcock :D

mazza wrote: »

one query actually - can you recommend a place close to the canal about half way up for eating, doesn't need to be fancy, just a shop with a deli counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mazza

De Bhál wrote: »
    one query actually - can you recommend a place close to the canal about half way up for eating, doesn't need to be fancy, just a shop with a deli counter.

How many days are you planning doing the trip over, as a matter of interest? Its 170km roughly from Dublin city centre to St Mullins on the canal, so a very long day been for a strong cyclist I'd say, given the terrain.

I was coming from North Dublin and stayed in Monasterevin and Borris, each about 80km cycling a day. (I could have finished it on Day 2 and taken the train back to Dublin but was meeting people the following day down there).

Places.to eat, I looked at options in Rathangan, but ended up eating in Monasterevin (all fast food). Borris is a couple of km off canal and has decent pub grub in a hotel on the main street. Not much help I think but that's all I tried!

Thing is that the canal and river generally go slap bang through the towns, so you just come up off it and you're right in the middle of town, shops, eats on hand. Athy, Carlow, Leighlinbridge should all have options, in varying degree.

Anything else just shout. I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you too. I really enjoyed my trip and took a lot from the whole experience

Weather permitting, the plan is one long day alright. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What's happening about the various plans for cycle bridges across the Liffey to join up the long-awaited Dodder Greenway with the Clontarf Cycleway?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Rechuchote wrote: »
    What's happening about the various plans for cycle bridges across the Liffey to join up the long-awaited Dodder Greenway with the Clontarf Cycleway?

The geosurveying barge has been doing test drilling at three sites over the last year, one at the scherzer bridge widening at guild street, one at the proposed bridge at Forbes street, and the third is still present at the mouth of the Dodder , the one to connect the Liffey cycle way with S2S and the Dodder greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The Great Southern Trail will be closed at Barnagh (approximately mid-way between Newcastlewest and Templeglantine) for approximately two months from this week as they route the greenway via the Barnagh railway tunnel. AFAIK, it should just detour users via the main road for a couple of km.

(I rode the length of the greenway last week and there was just one sign about the closure, located probably 15km away from it. Hopefully more signage has been added.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are there any plans to extend the GS trail beyond Rathkeale and into Limerick? I presume the old Patrickswell road (bypassed since) could be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Speaking of Limerick Greenway, this aspirational article may be of interest

https://hlymrekr.com/2018/10/19/time-for-a-treaty-city-greenway/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 G-monee

Hi!
    Can anyone help my with some advice for an upcoming bike trip over the bank holiday?

Day 1: Heading from Drumcondra along Royal Canal to Mullingar, Greenway to Athlone, them on to Shannon harbour.

Does anyone have suggestions for a quietish route from Athlone to Shannon Harbour? Any ideas I get from Google maps are on main roads which I'm hoping to avoid.

Day 2 is back to Dublin along the Grand Canal so it's straight forward enough. Hopefully arrive on time to see Liverpool crush Spurs!😜

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

G-monee wrote: »
    Hi!
    Can anyone help my with some advice for an upcoming bike trip over the bank holiday?

Day 1: Heading from Drumcondra along Royal Canal to Mullingar, Greenway to Athlone, them on to Shannon harbour.

Does anyone have suggestions for a quietish route from Athlone to Shannon Harbour? Any ideas I get from Google maps are on main roads which I'm hoping to avoid.

Day 2 is back to Dublin along the Grand Canal so it's straight forward enough. Hopefully arrive on time to see Liverpool crush Spurs!��

Thanks in advance for any help!

what type of bike are you on and how much of the section before Moyvalley are you expecting to do along the canal?
    I'm hoping to head down to Athlone on my road bike (my folks live there) some day soon and then back up the following day but afaik will be on road until Maynooth, then on and off Greenway until Moyvalley at which point you can go completely along the canal to Mullingar then Old Rail Trail Greenway to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

G-monee wrote: »

I'd come off the greenway a few k outside Moate it's a nice road nearly all the way bar a very short section on the N52 just before Ballinahown. You could come of either in Moate and go Castledally through the Doon cross roads but the road surface from Doon to where you turn for Belmont is desperate.

Hopefully link works!
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moate,+Co.+Westmeath,+Ireland/Ballynahown,+County+Westmeath,+Ireland/Clonony+Beg,+Shannon+Harbour,+Co.+Offaly,+Ireland/@53.3107415,-7.9749708,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x485db37c5ec8497d:0xa00c7a99731cea0!2m2!1d-7.7186188!2d53.3949987!1m5!1m1!1s0x485c4c32db9cc907:0xa00c7a997319cb0!2m2!1d-7.8488925!2d53.3506786!1m5!1m1!1s0x485c5a064768273f:0x2600c7a819bae312!2m2!1d-7.9510616!2d53.2219454!3e1

what type of bike are you on and how much of the section before Moyvalley are you expecting to do along the canal?
    I'm hoping to head down to Athlone on my road bike (my folks live there) some day soon and then back up the following day but afaik will be on road until Maynooth, then on and off Greenway until Moyvalley at which point you can go completely along the canal to Mullingar then Old Rail Trail Greenway to Athlone.

I'll be on a gravel bike with 35mm tyres. I cycled past Moyvalley asking the canal a few months ago. There was a good bit of single track which was quite muddy at the time so a road bike wouldn't have made it. It's a great route to have though - good excuse to go and visit the folks too!

Ryath wrote: »
    I'd come off the greenway a few k outside Moate it's a nice road nearly all the way bar a very short section on the N52 just before Ballinahown. You could come of either in Moate and go Castledally through the Doon cross roads but the road surface from Doon to where you turn for Belmont is desperate.

Hopefully link works!
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moate,+Co.+Westmeath,+Ireland/Ballynahown,+County+Westmeath,+Ireland/Clonony+Beg,+Shannon+Harbour,+Co.+Offaly,+Ireland/@53.3107415,-7.9749708,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x485db37c5ec8497d:0xa00c7a99731cea0!2m2!1d-7.7186188!2d53.3949987!1m5!1m1!1s0x485c4c32db9cc907:0xa00c7a997319cb0!2m2!1d-7.8488925!2d53.3506786!1m5!1m1!1s0x485c5a064768273f:0x2600c7a819bae312!2m2!1d-7.9510616!2d53.2219454!3e1

That's great!! Thanks a lot. Link worked too. I'll defo be giving that a try.

Thanks again!

Completed the Waterford Greenway and Carrick-on-Suir/Clonmel Blueway over the weekend gone. Both amazing routes, great scenery etc. But the difference in quality was very apparent.

Waterford was absolutely excellent surface for the entire length, wide enough along its entire length (barring Kilmeaden station) to easily accommodate the passing of pedestrians and other cyclists with no conflicts.

The Blueway surface was good for the most part but quality changed abruptly along the route and the section near Carrick was very poorly maintained concrete. Much narrower so more potential for conflict, although in most places two cyclists could pass one another with reasonable care, obviously I wouldn't expect the path to be as wide as it is in Waterford given the more environmentally sensitive nature of the river, but would be good to see it achieve a consistent width and quality for the entire length. There looked to be works ongoing so hopefully time will show improvement in what is a really fantastic route.

As a side note I was also in WIcklow town last week and was amazed by the quality of roadside cycleway around the town, currently in the process of adding it to the maps, but the outskirts of the town at least are extremely well catered for (for Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 PFitz86

Hi riddlinrussell

how did you develop this map ? and have you got this data spatially - can you pm me would like to know more on the data.

Advertisement