Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's rights on Abortion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The only reason I posted in here was for the people berating men to open their eyes and realise that it's not just the women involved in this decision that suffer. Simple as that really.

I don't think anybody denies men have a right to be heard but if the man is to be given the right the stop an abortion and basically force the woman to remain pregnant against her will, that's a step too far for a lot of people and also completely unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

The only reason I posted in here was for the people berating men to open their eyes and realise that it's not just the women involved in this decision that suffer. Simple as that really.

I don't think anyone would argue that men in this situation don't suffer, it's just there isn't a whole lot that can reasonably be done about it without violating the human rights of another person.

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What about the men in this situation who would be good parents who have this decision taken out of their hands?

I don't agree with a man having to the right to overrule a womans choice to have (or not) an abortion. So bad luck for the guy if the woman chooses an abortion.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I certainly don't think that and I would like to think that not many people do.

Like I said earlier, in my experience it's a traumatic experience for all involved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Delirium wrote: »
    I don't agree with a man having to the right to overrule a womans choice to have (or not) an abortion. So bad luck for the guy if the woman chooses an abortion.

And this attitude is exactly the problem. Bad luck for the guy? Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I don't think anyone would argue that men in this situation don't suffer, it's just there isn't a whole lot that can reasonably be done about it without violating the human rights of another person.

I don't think anyone would argue that women in this situation don't suffer, it's just there isn't a whole lot that can reasonably be done about it without violating the human rights of another person.

But tough luck to the woman right?

eviltwin wrote: »
    But tough luck to the woman right?

I don't recall saying or thinking that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Unfortunately we will be in a situation where someone can have an abortion up to 6 or 7 months meaning she will be full on pregnant and very emotional. If an argument happens in the couple she may even want to not have the child and the man won't even be asked his opinion.

Yes I will sound selfish but it is a complete disaster that feminism has eliminated my opinion I'm my potential child.

I am not saying I should get to overrule her. I am saying that my opinion should matter and that on demand abortion is a bad thing. I am all for abortion but it should still go before a judge and I should also be heard before a decision is made.

And before any of the menanists jump in, I may have had the choice hot to have a kid with her but she has the same choice.

If you don't wanna have kids then use protection. I know plenty of couples who don't want kids and don't have any because they are careful. The not 100% argument is for people that are not careful.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm an awful human being for respecting a womans choice to have (or not) an abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What is the solution then? You're asking a question without giving your own opinion of the answer.

You can't allow a man in a relationship to have control over a woman's body and be able to dictate her pregnancy schedule.

I don't recall saying or thinking that.

Not saying you do but those advocates who are concerned about the mans feelings aren't offering the same consideration to the woman.

....... wrote: »

It's not about wanting a child, it is about stepping up when the situation arises and not taking the easy way out.

It's not about wanting a child, it is about stepping up when the situation arises and not taking the easy way out.

Just because you don't agree with someones choice doesn't make it 'an easy choice'.

Delirium wrote: »
    Just because you don't agree with someones choice doesn't make it 'an easy choice'.

The procedure and recovery time of 5/6 weeks is much easier than 18 years of parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

but that's a disagreement between two partners, it's not really something that can (or should be) legislated for?

The procedure and recovery time of 5/6 weeks is much easier than 18 years of parenting.

And what of it? Do you want to punish people by forcing them to have children they don't want because they were careless or made a mistake? What good is that for anyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You were in the clinic yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Mr.H wrote: »
    Unfortunately we will be in a situation where someone can have an abortion up to 6 or 7 months meaning she will be full on pregnant and very emotional. If an argument happens in the couple she may even want to not have the child and the man won't even be asked his opinion.

Yes I will sound selfish but it is a complete disaster that feminism has eliminated my opinion I'm my potential child.

I am not saying I should get to overrule her. I am saying that my opinion should matter and that on demand abortion is a bad thing. I am all for abortion but it should still go before a judge and I should also be heard before a decision is made.

And before any of the menanists jump in, I may have had the choice hot to have a kid with her but she has the same choice.

If you don't wanna have kids then use protection. I know plenty of couples who don't want kids and don't have any because they are careful. The not 100% argument is for people that are not careful.

You must have a very low, distrustful opinion of women if you think a woman would abort at 7 months just because of an argument.

Your point is moot anyway because our referendum will only be allowing up till 12 weeks.

Contraception isn't 100% effective, otherwise there would be no unplanned pregnancies anywhere on earth.

Your post is just pure hyperbole.

And what of it? Do you want to punish people by forcing them to have children they don't want because they were careless or made a mistake? What good is that for anyone

Do you want to punish men who want to keep the child by having their baby/fetus murdered?

You were in the clinic yourself??

Yes.

Do you want to punish men by having their baby/fetus murdered?

Oh it's murder now is it?

and you yourself said not everyone is cut out to be a parent.

Why is it a bad thing that women on reflection decide they may not be up to being a parent and have an abortion?

Oh it's murder now is it?

In MY situation that is how I looked at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Do you want to punish men who want to keep the child by having their baby/fetus murdered?

Strong words for someone who has no interest either way
    I have no interest either side of this debate but I can tell you that is 100% what I saw. Of course I also saw people crying while others kept to themselves but there was a group of 3 girls(early 20s) sitting down beside us laughing and joking, it was the girls 3rd abortion which she seemed somewhat proud of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement