Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs open good Friday shows TDs in Vintners pockets

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sober or pissed, night or day Dublin is never a nice CC to walk around in and its not drunks making it so

At night, which we are discussing, it is.

The addicts tend to be tucked in bed at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

London and Parisian standards are not too big for Dublin to emulate.

If there was a will it would be done through, yes, education but also enforcement which both those cities do ruthlessly compared to us.

And it works. In Dublin it's almost lawless drunkenness.

I hope things are changing but I don't see it, yet.

But London allows bars to open every day of the week and every hour of the day?

So there is more access to drink than Dublin yet they are able to control it. Why is that?

Mr.H wrote: »
    But London allows bars to open every day of the week and every hour of the day?

So there is more access to drink than Dublin yet they are able to control it. Why is that?

They have far better policing than we do. Try spot a guard between the canals after 9 pm on weekends...you'll see a van in Temple Bar, the odd car, and that's it.

There is not remotely the enforcement needed.

That applies during the day almost as much by the way!

The addicts tend to be tucked in bed at that stage.

The addicts are wide awake and causing trouble after the clubs in Dublin as well I'll tell you that

They have far better policing than we do. Try spot a guard between the canals after 9 pm on weekends...

There is not remotely the enforcement needed.

That applies during the day almost as much by the way!

So what you are saying is it is nothing to do with what days or times the bars are open and more to do with policing?

I agree that is an aspect.

• Advertisement

The addicts are wide awake and causing trouble after the clubs in Dublin as well I'll tell you that

Maybe that's the case I don't know. Never had a problem in the early hours with addicts. Maybe I have just been lucky.

So what you are saying is it is nothing to do with what days or times the bars are open and more to do with policing?

I agree that is an aspect.

It's a big aspect.

I agree the opening times are daft because everyone knocks back before closing.

We don't have the effort needed on multiple fronts to change things.

I think things have to change because it's reputational damage (and sometimes worse) at the end of the day. When that will be, I won't hold my breath.

It's a big aspect.

I agree the opening times are daft because everyone knocks back before closing.

We don't have the effort needed on multiple fronts to change things.

I think things have to change because it's reputational damage (and sometimes worse) at the end of the day. When that will be, I won't hold my breath.

I think its unfair to put the blame mostly on the Gardai. Thats like saying "you should have arrested me before I got into a fight".

The biggest issue is education simple as. We need to teach our society young and old the effects of not just drinking, but violent behavior. Drinking is only talked about as a danger to organ and body health where the other issues associated with it such as violence, mental health and the harm verbal abuse can cause.

As a society we need to be given more freedom and harsher punishments. No closing times would be my suggestion. But public disorder would be punished with mandatory minimum public service work. If you are involved in something stupid you should at least get a week of community services. Clean the streets and parks. Punishments need to be more beneficial to society as a whole and not just send people to jail for everything.

But I wouldnt blame the Gardai because I believe that most Gardai are just doing the best they can. They are under resourced and their superiors are not giving them what they need to do the job. What they need is better laws regarding punishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sorry, I didn't realise you're setting the exact context of this thread
    Leave you too it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

People have little to be crying about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Thread already discussing this here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057834196

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement