Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs open good Friday shows TDs in Vintners pockets

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you have a contract garaunteeing you GF as a paid day off then you are entitled to it.
    I’m one of many people who enjoy that.

If you have that then thats great and well done :D I mean that. But unfortunately we aint all as lucky buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Mr.H wrote: »
    I have read the whole thread (its 6 fricken pages its not exactly a long thread) and my point stands.

You seem too focused on the VTI. Who cares who lobbied for it? At the end of the day its the correct decision. You are saying the the VTI are winning after today as oppose to supermarkets. I could just as easily argue the point that supermarkets are just as heartless and would love nothing more than your money. But again another pointless argument.

If you are so anti VTI then dont go to the pub ever............ The prices are ridiculous I agree. The prices in the supermarkets are also really high I agree. But none of these facts mean anything.

The fact is that people should have the right to go to the pub on Good Friday (and I would argue Christmas day also) if they so choose.

Anyone who says that pubs should be closed on Good Friday and still drinks at home that day is just talking nonsense to be honest. I dont like drinking at home and try to never drink at home. I feel like I drink less because I only drink in the pub. Since I dont go out more than three or four nights a month I think thats a pretty healthy attitude to have. So I feel insulted by any notion that I cant go to the pub when I want just because of "catholic tradition".

I think pubs and bars should be open whenever they want.
    I also think that lobbying by groups with a vested interest should not be tolerated is a so called democratic society.
    Also I have no time for the church but they are not to blame for everything.:)

And lastly I think I will leave it there I quite unintentionally strayed into some hot water.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I remember going to the pub in Boston on a Good Friday and having a decent skinful of Pints and feeling happy doing it.

The locals could not believe that pubs in Ireland closed on Good Friday and also closed at one time on St. Patricks day because of people fighting or some such nonsense.

Easter is one of the busiest travel days of the year.

I recall a pub in Tipperary tried to open on Good Friday selling only food and Tea and and Coffee and no drink but wasn't allowed to. He even set up a Marquee separate to the pub but wasn't allowed to due to planning laws...on one of the busiest days of the year.

Unlike most people in the accursed "island of Saints and Scholars" I am organised and get all my booze on "Holy" Thursday so the church cannot dictate to me when I can or cannot drink. A lot of people have being doing this and the supermarkets look like Wall St on Thursday before the accursed "Good" Friday....why its called Good I do not know why as it it is the most miserable and depressing Friday of the entire year....such is this mental perversion called religion.

It is salutary to note that this only became law in 1927, so we cannot blame the English for it. It was our own work. i would love to know which Bishop or politician was responsible for this abomination of a law so I can curse his memory and properly celebrate the end of this State imposed misery on a suffering people.

I remember TV being closed on Good Friday and Cinemas Closed on Good Friday....the Church wanted everyone to be miserable and guilty about the death of a carpenter 2000 years ago as if it were our fault.

It was not our fault. Enough stuff happens in our lives without taking on the sins and failings of an obscure Roman Governor and an evil set of circumstances in region still strangely beset with war and strife...all due to religion.

I apologize I am not up on legal matters.
    What I meant was lobbying that is neither open nor democratic.

Ok lets be careful on the subject of why it was brought in.

When the law was first signed we where just a couple of years into our brand new country. Make no mistake the church had HUGE influence on our society and encouraged our separation from the UK. Us being separated from the UK meant that the vatican had more influence on our country.

While it may not have been the pope or any member of the church that pushed for the closure of pubs on certain days, it was certainly people with strongly religious beliefs and loyalties.

Here is an exert from the Irish times just briefly talking about what I am saying. It is by no means proof, but rather a glimpse into the reasoning.

"There were – and are – good reasons for controlling the sale of alcohol. But outright bans rarely work. Ireland’s problem with alcohol abuse was reflected in restrictive nineteenth century legislation and through various temperance campaigns. Sunday and Saturday opening hours were tightly controlled. But the 1927 legislative ban on Good Friday, St Patrick’s Day and Christmas Day drinking represented a significant departure and arose from Catholic Church influence in a newly independent State. The elasticity of the Dáil in that regard became obvious in 1929 when special legislation provided for extended Sunday opening hours to mark the centenary of Catholic Emancipation."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/good-friday-lifting-the-alcohol-ban-1.3047535

Can you give me a reason why the ban on alcohol on these days was introduced that has nothing to do with religion?

I think pubs and bars should be open whenever they want.
    I also think that lobbying by groups with a vested interest should not be tolerated is a so called democratic society.
    Also I have no time for the church but they are not to blame for everything.:)

And lastly I think I will leave it there I quite unintentionally strayed into some hot water.:o

Well the common people of this country have called for this change for years and it fell on deaf years. It is only when people of influence take the fight, that change is made.

We dont have to like them to be thankful of the outcome.

The church are to blame for a lot more than we give in this country and not enough has been done to rectify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This is actually one of the eighteen prophecies of Armageddon in Revelations:

There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they drank pints on Good Friday, and tried to commit sexual immorality, but were unable, which happens to all sinners sometimes and is not a big deal as few naggins be grand at home. Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Vintners. Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will hit you such a slap to the side of the head you will think it is last Monday.

FYP

If you’re going to quote Revelations, do it properly. :rolleyes:

Can you give me a reason why the ban on alcohol on these days was introduced that has nothing to do with religion?

No it had everything to do with religion.
    However it was a TD and not the church itself.
    What went on behind the scenes who knows.

What annoys me is a group calling for more relaxed laws in one area and calling for much harsher laws in another area on the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you have that then thats great and well done :D I mean that. But unfortunately we aint all as lucky buddy

I know. Bar staff were garaunteed GF off but that’s all over now, buddy.

No it had everything to do with religion.
    However it was a TD and not the church itself.
    What went on behind the scenes who knows.

What annoys me is a group calling for more relaxed laws in one area and calling for much harsher laws in another area on the same topic.

So the TD you mean had absolutely no loyalty to the church (which had a lot of politicians pockets at the time)?

Thats ridiculous to think that three holy days the bars being closed and it had no church influence.

So many of our laws that where passed had been influenced by the church yet this one escaped?

I know. Bar staff were garaunteed GF off but that’s all over now, buddy.

Good. Why should they be guaranteed the day off when I am not? I work in hospitality and still work that day.

• Advertisement

So the TD you mean had absolutely no loyalty to the church (which had a lot of politicians pockets at the time)?

Thats ridiculous to think that three holy days the bars being closed and it had no church influence.

So many of our laws that where passed had been influenced by the church yet this one escaped?

I am sure your post is entirely correct.
    It was a sign of the times people danced to the tune of the church back then.

My posts may have come across the wrong way I am not trying to split hairs on this topic.
    I am happy the influence of the Church is being brushed off.
    However I think the people should decide not hidden lobbies.

That was the whole point of this thread.
    Spain for example had dirt cheep drink prices.

I am sure your post is entirely correct.
    It was a sign of the times people danced to the tune of the church back then.

My posts may have come across the wrong way I am not trying to split hairs on this topic.
    I am happy the influence of the Church is being brushed off.
    However I think the people should decided not hidden lobbies.

That is something I entirely agree with you on. Maybe I have just read your posts the wrong way.

It is just frustrating that you and me will be never listened to. Then you have billy big business having so much influence.

The irony of arguing about an entity such as the catholic church having so much control in our legislation only to have another entity (VTI) do the exact same and be hailed for it.

I just hope they dont get their way in the long term with the minimum pricing

That is something I entirely agree with you on. Maybe I have just read your posts the wrong way.

It is just frustrating that you and me will be never listened to. Then you have billy big business having so much influence.

The irony of arguing about an entity such as the catholic church having so much control in our legislation only to have another entity (VTI) do the exact same and be hailed for it.

I just hope they dont get their way in the long term with the minimum pricing

Thanks we are on the same page that is why I keep pointing this subject out about the VFI.
    Maybe my posting style leaves a lot to be desired and I am sorry for wandering onto iffy ground I don't have a solicitor proof read my posts.

Good. Why should they be guaranteed the day off when I am not? I work in hospitality and still work that day.

There’s nothing like a good old bit of Irish begrudgery I always say.

There’s nothing like a good old bit of Irish begrudgery I always say.

Nothing to do with begrudgery

See that attitude is the typical Irish rubbish. If someone disagrees with something it must be begrudgery.

I use to work in bars and on Good Friday I worked in the bar like a lot of bars cleaning. There was no day off on Good Friday. We didnt serve pints but we worked. Again like most bars.

As for wanting a day off I dont care. If you want the day off take the day off. It is a normal day for me and everyone who isnt religious and I would like the day to be treated as such. If I want to go for a pint after a hard honest days work then why should I be stopped by some ridiculous law. I mean should we also close the bars for the length of Ramadan?

Nothing to do with begrudgery

See that attitude is the typical Irish rubbish. If someone disagrees with something it must be begrudgery.

I use to work in bars and on Good Friday I worked in the bar like a lot of bars cleaning. There was no day off on Good Friday. We didnt serve pints but we worked. Again like most bars.

As for wanting a day off I dont care. If you want the day off take the day off. It is a normal day for me and everyone who isnt religious and I would like the day to be treated as such. If I want to go for a pint after a hard honest days work then why should I be stopped by some ridiculous law. I mean should we also close the bars for the length of Ramadan?
    No . I’m quite sure when someone says “Johnny has to work on Friday when he used to have it off and I’m ****ing delighted because I always had to work on Friday myself “ that that’s begrudgery.

No . I’m quite sure when someone says “Johnny has to work on Friday when he used to have it off and I’m ****ing delighted because I always had to work on Friday myself “ that that’s begrudgery.

This is what I said "Good. Why should they be guaranteed the day off when I am not? I work in hospitality and still work that day."

It is true.

What makes bars so exclusive that they are closed on Good Friday and lets say Pennys isnt?

Thats not be begrudging. That is me pointing out how ridiculous it is.

If I own a bar for example why would I not be allowed to open and work on Good Friday if I choose??

Your talking as if people deserve Good Friday off for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VFI (Vintners Federation of Ireland) is the representative body for 4000 publicans. As a trade organisation we promote and protect our members' interests.

So you work for them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My view on this is the less the Irish drink the better.

I think we have serious issues with alcohol and are in denial as a country.

I'm not happy an extra day is provided.

P.S Nothing to do with religion.

rates have been falling for the last decade and are pretty much average compared to Europe. Irish drinking habits are an outdated myth.

• Advertisement

I think we have serious issues with alcohol and are in denial as a country.

I'm not happy an extra day is provided.

P.S Nothing to do with religion.

An extra day being "provided" is absolutely nothing to do with our societies issue with alcohol.

People (religious ones too) always drank on good friday.

I am a firm believer, if you tell someone not to do something it will make them want to do it more. Our nanny state telling people how to behave is the reason for so many issues.

People having freedom of choice allows them to mature.

A teenager will do stupid things because their parents tell them not to. When they move out and get independence they grow up[ and mature. Then they stop doing stupid things.

Telling people when they can and cant drink just leads to drinking issues. You look at closing time as an example. Right now it is just a target for people to get as drunk as possible by that time. Where as in the UK they stopped that mentality with less restricted opening hours. Now people in the UK have the mentality they can booze all night so there is less of a rush. There are still issues of course but you take away the time limit and you slow down the drinking.

The less restrictions the better for society

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Right lads and ladies a little PSA from KKkitty. If you wish to abstain from alcohol that day by all means do. Like the last few decades where no establishment that serves alcohol was opened forcing you to sit through a drink free day if you weren't cute enough to buy drink the previous day. Do you know what you're an adult who can decide whether you want to drink or not on that day. You most likely have bought alcohol the day previously anyway but just want to appear pedantic to prove a point.

rates have been falling for the last decade and are pretty much average compared to Europe. Irish drinking habits are an outdated myth.

Continental cities look like Dublin City Center at night Thursday - Sunday do they?

They don't, they really don't.

Continental cities look like Dublin City Center at night Thursday - Sunday do they?

They don't, they really don't.

Most UK cities do.

Also you obviously havent been to eastern Europe.

I can confirm that Paris isnt like that but in saying that I find the lack of actual social scene at the weekend really dull and boring in Paris.

You dont have to be out of control to enjoy the social aspect of the nightlife we have in Ireland and the UK

Most UK cities do.

Also you obviously havent been to eastern Europe.

I can confirm that Paris isnt like that but in saying that I find the lack of actual social scene at the weekend really dull and boring in Paris.

You dont have to be out of control to enjoy the social aspect of the nightlife we have in Ireland and the UK

If you are not pissed out of your brain do you find Dublin a pleasant city center to walk around late at night?

If you were a tourist would you find it pleasant?

I have been to cities all over the world and Dublin is a national embarrassment for this. It's suppose to be a capital city. I can walk in cities all over the world at night (in some dodgy parts of the world too), take in the best sights, and feel a lot safer than in Dublin if I was sober.

Don't you think that's not right? And you are comparing us to the UK?

Our standards should be a lot higher than Sheffield to be perfectly honest.

London is pleasant at night though. It's a global city where standards are quite high.

If you are not pissed out of your brain do you find Dublin a pleasant city center to walk around late at night?

If you were a tourist would you find it pleasant?

I have been to cities all over the world and Dublin is a national embarrassment for this. It's suppose to be a capital city. I can walk in cities all over the world at night (in some dodgy parts of the world too), take in the best sights, and feel a lot safer than in Dublin if I was sober.

Don't you think that's not right? And you are comparing us to the UK?

Our standards should be a lot higher than Sheffield to be perfectly honest.

London is pleasant at night though. It's a global city where standards are quite high.

Firstly I do and I dont enjoy Dublin at night. I do enjoy a lot of the bars but no I dont enjoy whats outside them. But not just because of the drunken louts. Its more them homelessness that puts me off. That makes me feel unsafe more than anything.

I do however enjoy Cork Galway and Limerick on busy weekend nights. I drink but I drink a few pints and Im happy out. I dont drink to get hammered. I drink because I like the taste and it relaxes me.

London has some very very Dublin esque parts at night time. But I am talking more the likes of comparable cities like Manchester Birmingham and Liverpool which all are exactly like any Irish city on a weekend. As are Cardiff Edinburgh and Glasgow.

When in Continental Cities I find drinking very strange. Almost like it is frowned upon to have a sing song in a bar (which it very much is). That is not something I would like to see in Irish bars.

Nightlife here consists of great live bands in regular bars. European mentality is just have a few glasses of beer while having a # quiet chat in a cafe.

London has some very very Dublin esque parts at night time. But I am talking more the likes of comparable cities like Manchester Birmingham and Liverpool which all are exactly like any Irish city on a weekend.

So the benchmark for the capital of a sovereign European country should be these cities?

I don't think it should.

You obviously disagree and that's fine.

I'd just like to see our capital city with more civic pride and not a destination for stag parties and hen nights.

I'm all up for the laugh and getting sh!tfaced occasionally and having a good time but I see the dysfunction of this city and our cities and think it needs to change.

That's just my opinion.

So the benchmark for the capital of a sovereign European country should be these cities?

I don't think it should.

You obviously disagree and that's fine.

I'd just like to see our capital city with more civic pride and not a destination for stag parties and hen nights.

I'm all up for the laugh and getting sh!tfaced occasionally and having a good time but I see the dysfunction of this city and our cities and think it needs to change.

That's just my opinion.

Well they are cities of similarity in size to Dublin (center wise). London Is too big to compare to Dublin.

Im not saying that things dont need to change. I am saying that keeping the bars closed on Good Friday hasnt worked to reduce the problem so far so obviously its not the solution.

Education is the solution not suppression.

Sober or pissed, night or day Dublin is never a nice CC to walk around in and its not drunks making it so

• Advertisement

Well they are cities of similarity in size to Dublin (center wise). London Is too big to compare to Dublin.

London and Parisian standards are not too big for Dublin to emulate.

If there was a will it would be done through, yes, education but also enforcement which both those cities do ruthlessly compared to us.

And it works. In Dublin it's almost lawless drunkenness.

I hope things are changing but I don't see it, yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement