Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs open good Friday shows TDs in Vintners pockets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

VFI are undoubtedly scummy but them now making an extra few quid on Good Friday is the lesser of the two evils of the Catholic Church interfering in another aspect of Irish everyday society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

This will turn into another incredibly messy day. A new paddy’s day.
    How so it's not a national holiday, it will just become like any other Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭trellheim

Not taking a position but someone asked above who voted

Answer : went through without a vote ( by general agreement )

see http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2018012500029?opendocument

Question put and agreed to.

Bill reported without amendment, received for final consideration and passed.

Forgot to say that Tuesdays Order of Business for this allowed for a division
    (2) The proceedings on Second Stage of the Intoxicating Liquor (Amendment) Bill 2017 [Seanad] shall, if not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion after two hours and 20 minutes; any division demanded on the conclusion of Second Stage shall be taken immediately;

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2018012300011?opendocument

Nice to see Aengus O Snodaigh taking the Order of Business. I must have missed him moving to the Government benches or is that the way the Business Committee works now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

and what has that got to do with the price of drink? :confused:

VFI lobbies for more relaxed laws for their business that sells drink and gets it.
    The very same VFI lobbies for home sales to be crippled to save us from binge drinking and it looks like the government will comply.

A five year old could understand this I don't get which part has you confused?

Well, I for one welcome our new VFI overlords and will celebrate their arrival by drinking myself into oblivion on the day formerly known as Good Friday.

Verplischdishk or whatever your name is, you’d do well to learn to relax the cacks there buddy. Have a drink, just not at home now, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

fry.jpg

3p7d33.jpg

Ohmeha wrote: »
    VFI are undoubtedly scummy but them now making an extra few quid on Good Friday is the lesser of the two evils of the Catholic Church interfering in another aspect of Irish everyday society

I don't agree with any organization interfering with aspects of everyday life especially ones with vested interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I don't agree with any organization interfering with aspects of everyday life especially ones with vested interests.

Do you have a Facebook account?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Your a moderator and have almost 11'000 posts and you have been a member over ten years and you are unaware the VFI are behind the lobbying to cripple home drink sales?

Sorry but what does VFI stand for? I haven't heard that term before.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Well, I for one welcome our new VFI overlords and will celebrate their arrival by drinking myself into oblivion on the day formerly known as Good Friday.

Verplischdishk or whatever your name is, you’d do well to learn to relax the cacks there buddy. Have a drink, just not at home now, mind.

I am relaxed I am just motivated to expose the hypocrisy of the VFI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Well i hope everyone's happy - the country is falling apart :D:D

Sorry but what does VFI stand for? I haven't heard that term before.
    VFI (Vintners Federation of Ireland) is the representative body for 4000 publicans. As a trade organisation we promote and protect our members' interests.

me_irl wrote: »
    Do you have a Facebook account?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Have you a link to show that dunne’s and tesco have an objection to selling drink at higher prices and making more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

jasper100 wrote: »
    Of course that’s absolutely untrue. Tesco and Dunne’s etc. are not competitors of pubs.

In reality they are cutting the price of alcohol as loss leaders to entice people into their stores.
    The supermarkets are competitors to the filthy expensive publican cartels because they expose the publican cartels by selling alcohol at a profit while still only fraction of the price of what you pay for a pint in a pub

Supermarkets are making nice profits on alcohol at their current prices despite the government's 'cheap alcohol' propaganda/myths/lies

Go to supermarkets in Spain or France for a reminder at the profits our supermarkets are selling this mythical 'cheap alcohol'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They aren't being hypocritical. Forcing people I to pubs was one of the government's campaign promises :p

Have you a link to show that dunne’s and tesco have an objection to selling drink at higher prices and making more money?

Did not see Dunnes or Tesco lobbying for this did you?

Why is the VFI so worried about Tesco and Dunnes?

The supermarkets are competitors to the filthy expensive publican cartels because they expose the publican cartels by selling alcohol at a profit while still only fraction of the price of what you pay for a pint in a pub

Supermarkets are making nice profits on alcohol at their current prices despite the government's 'cheap alcohol' propaganda/myths/lies

Go to supermarkets in Spain or France for a reminder at the profits our supermarkets are selling this mythical 'cheap alcohol'

This 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This will turn into another incredibly messy day. A new paddy’s day.

It will in my shyte, good Friday is a normal working day for myself and I'm sure the vast majority of posters.

Why anyone would want to go to the pub just because it's good Friday (as opposed to the other 363 days they can go) is beyond me.

I think the uproar about no.booze on good Friday was directed at the fact that you couldn't buy it anywhere, shop/bar/restaurant due to an ancient outdated law based on religion.

It'll certainly be no paddys day extravaganza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:

Edit do you have any link to the VFI (Vintners Federation of Ireland)?

:D No I don't. I'm not defending them. I just wondered if it's the Good Friday ban or restrictions on off licences you want discussed. The off licence can now open GF as it turns out.

But look, you obviously are taking any request for clarification as some sort of personal slight. So carry on.

• Advertisement

Fact is supermarket in Ireland sell alcohol at a loss, and furthermore the exchequer losses money because they write off the vat loss.

That’s the fact of the matter. It doesn’t apply to all alcohol sold, just the promotional stuff they are selling below cost.

But don’t let the facts get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fact is supermarket in Ireland sell alcohol at a loss, and furthermore the exchequer losses money because they write off the vat loss.

That’s the fact of the matter. It doesn’t apply to all alcohol sold, just the promotional stuff they are selling below cost.

Have you any source for your "fact" incidentally?

Don't forget offlicenses will be hit by this too, offlicense sell alcohol too.

Where's their loss leader?

:D No I don't. I'm not defending them. I just wondered if it's the Good Friday ban or restrictions on off licences you want discussed. The off licence can now open GF as it turns out.

But look, you obviously are taking any request for clarification as some sort of personal slight. So carry on.

Nice straw man in bold I am motivated on this subject but I am not taking any of it personally.
    I like many others enjoy a few beers at the weekend at home these arseholes have lobbied the government for massive price hikes in the name of stopping binge drinking.
    They have claimed it is sold below cost but yet it is among the most expensive in Europe already.

Again I am not taking this personally as I have no vested interest.

If the law is passed I might just quit my few weekend beers and keep the money myself I won't be spending it in the pub.

Have you any source for your "fact" incidentally?

Don't forget offlicenses will be hit by this too, offlicense sell alcohol too.

Where's their loss leader?

Of course.

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/228306/cheap-booze-but-you-lose-supermarkets-toasting-e24m-vat-back-trick/

Saying something is a fact does not make it a fact.

We are among the most expensive in Europe for supermarket drink sales and that is a real fact that can be proven and backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Does this apply to all off licences as well ?.Last year on Good Friday I went into a Super Value in the Midlands and all the off licence area was covered with black plastic.It looked ridiculous,a bit like a silage pit in a shop.

They aren't being hypocritical. Forcing people I to pubs was one of the government's campaign promises :p

They will need a gun to force me in.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The VFI are doing their job, promote and protect rural publicans. You should be complaining about the off licence operators not forming a powerful lobby to lobby against the increase, but they aren't because they will make more money.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The VFI are doing their job, promote and protect rural publicans. You should be complaining about the off licence operators not forming a powerful lobby to lobby against the increase, but they aren't because they will make more money.

The off Licence association is in favour of higher prices. I doubt the big retailers are too bothered at not being able to give alcohol out below cost either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement