Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Why are you obsessed with athletes in Ireland, specifically? This is not an Ireland-specific concern. The increasing number of biological men competing against women in athletic competitions around the world is widely documented.

And sports bodies are working on ways to deal with it.
    Simply banning trans people from sports should not be an option.

I already told you that I don't believe it's possible for someone to "assume" a different gender — whether by hormonal, surgical, or legal means.

Science and the medical community disagree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the first line of that video is 'i've been told i'm transphobic for liking vagina. who i date is not up for debate'. also followed by 'trans women are women'
    seems to be a clickbait title. top comment replies from trans women in full agreement with the message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dumQfzcrOzk

exactly the same message that got her deplatformed from pride, it looks like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

We live in Ireland. We're on an Irish forum.

In case you haven't noticed, you're on a thread discussing a Canadian psychology professor's appearance on a British news show. I'm not sure why you think this discussion should be about Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

20Cent wrote: »
    Who is requiring you to say things you don't believe?
    trans activist. and it is in this that they diverge from gay rights campaigners. gay rights was live and let live. trans rights is live and let live AND you need to validate someone's dysphoria through language and access to women's spaces, sports etc....can people really not see the difference here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

You clearly have no idea what the topic of conversation is about.

I think it's you that doesn't. ;)

• Advertisement

trans activist. and it is in this that they diverge from gay rights campaigners. gay rights was live and let live. trans rights is live and let live AND you need to validate someone's dysphoria through language and access to women's spaces, sports etc....can people really not see the difference here?

How are they forcing you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

this is the blaire white i'm referring to, some good videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsxK4_FKfc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPBLyb8H_iE

How are they forcing you?
    call it coercion. threats to my livelihood if i dont comply. if i were a "terf" on twitter threats of rape and murder. if i were in the uk visits from the police to "check my thinking". banishment from the left if i were JK Rowling.

for me its about truth.

if a biological male says/thinks/feels that they are female - does that in fact make them a woman? a woman the same as someone born with a cervix and xx chromosomes?

i'm sorry but its a bridge too far. i cant force myself to believe this any more than i could force myself to believe in the resurrection or transsubsansiation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

bluewolf wrote: »
    this is the blaire white i'm referring to, some good videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsxK4_FKfc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPBLyb8H_iE

Isn't, or wasn't Blaire White a very vocal Trump-supporter and anti-feminist? I can't really respect someone who is willing to throw the rest of her community under a bus because she thinks she can make a good living pandering to people who hate and fear every trans person*

*except her

B0jangles wrote: »
    hate and fear every trans person

so it's either you are either fully on board with all aspects of the transgender movement or you fear and hate all trans people?

• Advertisement

for me its about truth.

It's about the subjective versus objective nature of reality..

They're pulling you into their solipsism..

call it coercion. threats to my livelihood if i dont comply. if i were a "terf" on twitter threats of rape and murder. if i were in the uk visits from the police to "check my thinking". banishment from the left if i were JK Rowling.

for me its about truth.

if a biological male says/thinks/feels that they are female - does that in fact make them a woman? a woman the same as someone born with a cervix and xx chromosomes?

i'm sorry but its a bridge too far. i cant force myself to believe this any more than i could force myself to believe in the resurrection or transsubsansiation.

Out of interest have you ever met a trans person?
    Why are you so afraid of someone you are very unlikely to even meet?
    Even if you do meet one just walk away and don't interact with them no problem.

Seem to feel very victimized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

so it's either you are either fully on board with all aspects of the transgender movement or you fear and hate all trans people?

No, I am talking about the people who actually really do hate and fear trans people. There are plenty of them around the place.

edit: I just reread my last post and if it comes across that I am saying Bluewolf hates and fears every trans person because she posted a couple of Blaire White videos, that was not my intent at all.

Out of interest have you ever met a trans person?
    Why are you so afraid of someone you are very unlikely to even meet?
    Even if you do meet one just walk away and don't interact with them no problem.

Seem to feel very victimized.

i work along side a trans person and I think they are sound. everyone in the workplace avoids politics/religion as an unspoken rule and i avoid using any pronouns towards this individual where possible but will use their preferred pronoun when necessary in order to keep my job. everyone walks on eggshells around this person which must make them uncomfortable.

i'm no more a victim than anyone else .

B0jangles wrote: »
    No, I am talking about the people who actually really do hate and fear trans people. There are plenty of them around the place.

fair enough

i work along side a trans person and I think they are sound. everyone in the workplace avoids politics/religion as an unspoken rule and i avoid using any pronouns towards this individual where possible but will use their preferred pronoun when necessary in order to keep my job. everyone walks on eggshells around this person which must make them uncomfortable.

i'm no more a victim than anyone else .

So why do you think they are trans then?

If they are sound what's the problem using their preferred pronouns.
    Like that's all you have to do, that's a big deal!!
    All workplaces have policies about employees interacting with each other.

So why do you think they are trans then?

If they are sound what's the problem using their preferred pronouns.
    Like that's all you have to do, that's a big deal!!
    All workplaces have policies about employees interacting with each other.

i think they're trans because they used to be called John and now they're called Mary* and Mary looks an awful lot like John

not real names

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

i think they're trans because they used to be called John and now they're called Mary* and Mary looks an awful lot like John

not real names

Could they be brother and sister?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It's an urge humans demonstrate. The desire to halt change is not new. It's an old story, think accepting gays and gay marriage: people push for change and others push back against it. Those opposed to he change will warn of all the terrible consequences of the change. Then the change happens without all the terrible consequences. Those opposed to the change pretend they were never really opposed to the change. They don't acknowledge the were wrong to oppose the change because the terrible consequences never materialised, they move on to opposing the next change.

Does anyone remember the opposition to gay marriage? The warnings about all the terrible consequences and knock on effects?

Some people are just terrified of change and they will find any old reason to oppose changes. Peterson is marketing his products to those people and it's a very successful sales strategy. Fox News is a whole entertainment news station dedicated to the sake audience.

Fox news will oppose the topic of change of the day and then move on to the next topic. The market exists and people design products to sell to that market.

It will be a cold day in Hell, dude, the day I accept the change that babies can be said to be born without a sex, as Dawn Butler, a leading labour politician in the UK, just said on national TV.
    It will also be chilly down below the day when I accept the change whereby violent male bodied sex offenders should legitimately be imprisoned with females, as Lisa Nandy, aspiring leader of the UK Labour party just vowed.
    I will never accept the removal of words like mother and woman from biological reality, or that men give birth or that women sire a child.
    I will never accept the medicalisation of young children with pubertal blockers and cross sex hormones as young teens which is a priority of trans activists - AFFIRMATION, they cry. Hormones that shrivel their uteruses, retard penile growth, lower their bone density, increase risk of cancer and heart disease, retard IQ and frontal lobe development etc etc. The devil will be wearing thermals the day I accept such changes and I hope there will be younger people who will hold the line of reason long after I am gone.

for me its about truth.

A professor at Oxford university has to have security because trans activists have made credible threats against her because of her supposed transphobia . Another thing that "never happens"...

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/education-51248684

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    It will be a cold day in Hell, dude, the day I accept the change that babies can be said to be born without a sex, as Dawn Butler, a leading labour politician in the UK, just said on national TV.
    They already are.

It will also be chilly down below the day when I accept the change whereby violent male bodied sex offenders should legitimately be imprisoned with females, as Lisa Nandy, aspiring leader of the UK Labour party just vowed.
    They aren't
    I will never accept the removal of words like mother and woman from biological reality,
    No one is suggesting that.
    or that men give birth or that women sire a child.
    It happens anyway
    I will never accept the medicalisation of young children with pubertal blockers and cross sex hormones as young teens which is a priority of trans activists - AFFIRMATION, they cry. Hormones that shrivel their uteruses, retard penile growth, lower their bone density, increase risk of cancer and heart disease, retard IQ and frontal lobe development etc etc. The devil will be wearing thermals the day I accept such changes and I hope there will be younger people who will hold the line of reason long after I am gone.
    Maybe leave that to the experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

A professor at Oxford university has to have security because trans activists have made credible threats against her because of her supposed transphobia . Another thing that "never happens"...

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/education-51248684

Unreal.
    Prof Todd said the threats come from some campaigners who believe her views on the need to protect women's spaces, such as single-sex refuges, from people who self-identify as women but are anatomically male are unacceptable.

The academic said that she has witnessed "quite antagonistic" and "quite confrontational" protests outside women's rights meetings she has spoken at in the past.

So much for the tolerant, compassionate society these people claim to represent.

They already are.

They aren't

No one is suggesting that.

It happens anyway

Maybe leave that to the experts.

You are incorrect on all of these replies.

https://i.redd.it/2u8ojszs4dh41.png

bluewolf wrote: »

What's your point?

Excellent rebuttal.

I don't believe in people with red hair. See them sometimes but don't believe they actually have red hair.
    The argument is that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Since when do people have a right to exclude others because they are uncomfortable with their bodies? Should butch looking women, old women, unattractive women be banned from changing rooms as well?

No, because non-feminine women still read as women. It’s easy to tell by the way somebody moves at the very least. And of course there’s no problem with older ladies. And none of them are packing.

An outspoken critic of transwomen in women’s sports is a good example of a non-conforming woman but there’s no mistake - Martina Navratilova is all woman.

Excellent rebuttal.

I don't believe in people with red hair. See them sometimes but don't believe they actually have red hair.
    The argument is that stupid.

You are still incorrect on all points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'd consider myself left and I'm a member of the LGBTQ community so you'd think transgender issues would play a larger part in my life than the average person but honestly they don't. The only time transgender issues become an issue are when the right tries to turn them into second class citizens. And let's be real about it, if in some alternate reality trans people didn't exist or were outlawed then you can bet the same people on this thread attacking trans people are the same people who would then turn their attention to gays and lesbians because people who are bigoted need a minority group to attack.

Well, I’m likely in that group on this thread by your estimates and I have supported gay rights my whole life, well, since I was old enough to know what gay was. I’m also left wing. Why do you think it’s all right wing driven? Look at the ructions in the Labour Party in the UK at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Well, I’m likely in that group on this thread by your estimates and I have supported gay rights my whole life, well, since I was old enough to know what gay was. I’m also left wing. Why do you think it’s all right wing driven? Look at the ructions in the Labour Party in the UK at the moment.

OK then in a non confrontational way as somebody who has supported gay rights and who probably would consider himself a gay ally, where do you stand on trans rights?

Quick edit: I'm not trying to lure you into a trap with the question, I'm genuinely curious coming at it from an angle of if you're liberal enough to have fought for gay rights, I'd just like to know why are trans rights a step too far for you.

Advertisement