Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Ah no, we are going to miss him, he seems to really pursue the information and bring new information back

Fully expecting a poster called "The Sherriff is Back" to start posting any moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Move on from this please, there is a topic.

We need Miss Marple now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MurmanskRun

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Move on from this please, there is a topic.

In fairness, I tried to bring a bit of levity and/or brevity to the discussion several pages back before the usual AH agenda-highjacking*.

*When some wannabe gangster took five minutes to remove his hand from his cock after improving his Call Of Duty kill score.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

When some wannabe gangster took five minutes to remove his hand from his cock after improving his Call Of Duty kill score.

Hang on, one can use one's cock as an Xbox controller now?

Technology is really opening some exciting new doors for the lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

In fairness, I tried to bring a bit of levity and/or brevity to the discussion several pages back before the usual AH agenda-highjacking*.

*When some wannabe gangster took five minutes to remove his hand from his cock after improving his Call Of Duty kill score.

Jesus wept.

Yes you really are a martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Jesus wept.
    Hang on, one can use one's cock as an Xbox controller now?

Technology is really opening some exciting new doors for the lads

And these posts have what exactly to do with the topic?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Time to unfollow this by the looks of things..

See you all in the next thread :D

http://www.thejournal.ie/mtk-global-boxing-ireland-3841660-Feb2018/
    THE BOXING MANAGEMENT company that was co-founded by Daniel Kinahan has said it will not be hosting any more events in the Republic of Ireland.

MTK pulling out of events in Ireland and cutting ties with Kinahan.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mtk-global-boxing-ireland-3841660-Feb2018/

MTK pulling out of events in Ireland and cutting ties with Kinahan.

According to that statement they cut ties with him in Feb of last year. Ties in with a comment made last week by a boxer (forget who) who lambasted the media for "hounding" him out of involvement with MTK. So it would seem that it might indeed be a bit of a stretch for the company to continue being referred to as a "Kinahan-linked" company, although having said that, he seems to get tagged in every Twitter conversation involving their Irish fighters... Difficult to tell, but since the company was bought by new management last November I'd lean towards assuming that he really doesn't have any more direct involvement or investment with them.

The problem surely isn't really his involvement though, the problem is whether he or his associates are still likely to show up and support their boxers, and therefore put events at risk of a Regency Mk II type scenario?

• Advertisement

According to that statement they cut ties with him in Feb of last year. Ties in with a comment made last week by a boxer (forget who) who lambasted the media for "hounding" him out of involvement with MTK. So it would seem that it might indeed be a bit of a stretch for the company to continue being referred to as a "Kinahan-linked" company, although having said that, he seems to get tagged in every Twitter conversation involving their Irish fighters... Difficult to tell, but since the company was bought by new management last November I'd lean towards assuming that he really doesn't have any more direct involvement or investment with them.

The problem surely isn't really his involvement though, the problem is whether he or his associates are still likely to show up and support their boxers, and therefore put events at risk of a Regency Mk II type scenario?

Yeah it seems the term involvement could mean business ties or attending events. They're probably trying to make it sound like both when it may just be the former.

Yeah it seems the term involvement could mean business ties or attending events. They're probably trying to make it sound like both when it may just be the former.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/daniel-kinahan-takes-backseat-role-in-boxing-gym-business-due-to-bad-publicity-35394012.html
    Gangland criminal Daniel Kinahan is taking a step back from his boxing business due to "bad publicity" his business partner has said.

Ex-fighter Matthew Macklin, who has no involvement in crime, has revealed Kinahan's new backseat role in the organisation as the gym undergoes rebranding.

The Marbella gym, established four years ago, now manages more than 100 fighters.

"Me and Daniel started off MGM. We were best friends and like I said I was over there all the time when I was training... so we set that up and it just grew from there," he said.

"Obviously then there's been a lot of bad publicity... Daniel has taken a backwards step.

He still advises lots of fighters."

This was at the end of January 2017. The new CEO says they cut ties with him the following month, February 2017. Somewhere around that time, MTK fighters were banned from fighting in Ireland due to the risk of violence at their events:

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/news/exclusive-mtk-fighters-including-conlan-and-barnes-banned-from-fighting-in-ireland-229131
    Bosses at the BUI, acting on the advice of An Garda Siochana, will not sanction any boxers fighting here under the name of the MTK, which was co-founded by Kinahan along with Matthew Macklin in 2012.

And speaking to The Star the President of the Boxing Union of Ireland Mel Christle explained the body’s decision to prevent MTK boxers from fighting in the Republic.

“The reality is that the presence of an MTK fighter on a bill at present, in the view of the Boxing Union, would put at risk, the safety of patrons and other persons involved in the boxing event. It’s as simple as that,” he said.

A few weeks ago, Declan Geraghty stated that Daniep Kinahan was "hounded" out of MTK by the media:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/if-it-wasnt-for-daniel-kinahan-boxing-would-never-have-got-back-going-in-ireland-irish-boxer-backs-crime-boss-36559841.html
    "He was my manager, and he was a great manager, and great for boxing.

"He has no involvement in MTK anymore because of the likes of you writing in the paper saying all sorts of crap for a man with no convictions."

Geraghty went as far as to say boxing in Ireland would not be where it is today without the input of Kinahan.

From all this, we can gather that until MTK was bought out in November of 2017, Kinahan probably still had an advisory role and shares / some kind of stake in the company, but no direct involvement - and that since November, he's been entirely exiled from it. The fact that he's still tagged in most of the related Twitter threads would imply either that he still informally advises his former fighters, or that they just tag him because they're still mates even if he's totally gone from the business.

It's a totally weird situation. Prior to 2016, he's referred to by the press merely as a "Ireland businessman" with some peripheral allegation of involvement in betting shenanigans following him around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/syndicate-sought-to-confront-fallon-1.971118
    BRITAIN:A former Dublin furniture shop owner, Daniel Kinahan, travelled from Spain to Newmarket to confront jockey Kieren Fallon in his own home "in the very early hours" days after his "bet to lose" syndicate lost £160,256 (€231,300) because he won his race.

It was one of several races the syndicate expected Fallon to throw but which he went on to win, the Old Bailey heard.

The horse, Russian Rhythm, was from the stables of Queen Elizabeth's favourite trainer Sir Michael Stoute, and ran in the 2.40pm Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes at Newbury on May 15th, 2004.

The jury heard one of the alleged organisers of the so-called "bet to lose" conspiracy, Yorkshire businessmen Miles Rodgers, refer to the Spain-based Irish businessman Daniel Kinahan in intercepted phone calls as a formidable character called "D".

Mr Rodgers was heard on the intercept telling a person, whose account he has been using to lay bets to lose on online bookmakers Betfair, that while he had met many "menacing" people in the course of his business, they paled beside "D".

He said he was "only a little fella, but you know when you've been spoken to".

It would seem that his involvement in the feud was entirely picked up by the press from the statement published after the Regency attack by one of the alleged gunmen, saying something along the lines of "Daniel Kinahan started all this, it won't end until he's dead".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/chilling-threat-issued-that-gang-war-wont-end-until-kinahan-is-dead-34484558.html
    between the Christy Kinahan cartel and the Hutch mob will not end until Daniel Kinahan is shot dead.

The grim warning was made this week by a major criminal who is believed to be one of the three hitmen who were disguised as gardai in the Regency Hotel murder of rival mobster David Byrne.

“We will not rest until Daniel Kinahan is dead. He caused all of this – it won’t end until he is in his grave’,” the gunman said.

I can't find any references to Daniel Kinahan being either the main target of the gang or its main linchpin in the public media before this.

So it's hard to tell whether the media (potentially unfairly) turned him into the bogeyman based entirely on hearsay or if there's more to it than that. But it seems that MTK dumped him entirely for publicity reasons at some point after he voluntarily "took a step back" from his involvement - sort of like how Lance Armstrong was bluntly fired entirely from Livestrong weeks after he voluntarily resigned his board.

Difficult to know what to think about whether he's been singled out by the media as the guy to pin everything on. Personally I just believe very strongly in due process and people not having their livelihoods torn apart until they get convicted of something, but its hard to blame the company for sidelining him if they felt his reputation was damaging the brand... Personally I've always felt that there should be a law against it, people shouldn't lose their jobs based solely on allegations without actual convictions. But as it stands, they're within their rights, and probably have a case if they do decide to sue any of the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Trebhygt

Has a date been set for "Fat Freddies" trial for conspiracy to murder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/daniel-kinahan-takes-backseat-role-in-boxing-gym-business-due-to-bad-publicity-35394012.html

This was at the end of January 2017. The new CEO says they cut ties with him the following month, February 2017. Somewhere around that time, MTK fighters were banned from fighting in Ireland due to the risk of violence at their events:

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/news/exclusive-mtk-fighters-including-conlan-and-barnes-banned-from-fighting-in-ireland-229131

A few weeks ago, Declan Geraghty stated that Daniep Kinahan was "hounded" out of MTK by the media:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/if-it-wasnt-for-daniel-kinahan-boxing-would-never-have-got-back-going-in-ireland-irish-boxer-backs-crime-boss-36559841.html

From all this, we can gather that until MTK was bought out in November of 2017, Kinahan probably still had an advisory role and shares / some kind of stake in the company, but no direct involvement - and that since November, he's been entirely exiled from it. The fact that he's still tagged in most of the related Twitter threads would imply either that he still informally advises his former fighters, or that they just tag him because they're still mates even if he's totally gone from the business.

It's a totally weird situation. Prior to 2016, he's referred to by the press merely as a "Ireland businessman" with some peripheral allegation of involvement in betting shenanigans following him around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/syndicate-sought-to-confront-fallon-1.971118

It would seem that his involvement in the feud was entirely picked up by the press from the statement published after the Regency attack by one of the alleged gunmen, saying something along the lines of "Daniel Kinahan started all this, it won't end until he's dead".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/chilling-threat-issued-that-gang-war-wont-end-until-kinahan-is-dead-34484558.html

I can't find any references to Daniel Kinahan being either the main target of the gang or its main linchpin in the public media before this.

So it's hard to tell whether the media (potentially unfairly) turned him into the bogeyman based entirely on hearsay or if there's more to it than that. But it seems that MTK dumped him entirely for publicity reasons at some point after he voluntarily "took a step back" from his involvement - sort of like how Lance Armstrong was bluntly fired entirely from Livestrong weeks after he voluntarily resigned his board.

Difficult to know what to think about whether he's been singled out by the media as the guy to pin everything on. Personally I just believe very strongly in due process and people not having their livelihoods torn apart until they get convicted of something, but its hard to blame the company for sidelining him if they felt his reputation was damaging the brand... Personally I've always felt that there should be a law against it, people shouldn't lose their jobs based solely on allegations without actual convictions. But as it stands, they're within their rights, and probably have a case if they do decide to sue any of the papers.

Some very good points, I have thought that a lot as in how much is this guy really responsible for, it’s questionable however on the flip side I find it odd that he has never taken any legal action against the papers or even the writers of a book were he is repeatedly named as the head of the gang responsible for all sorts of illegal activity, why wouldn’t he sue?

He hasn't sued because.....he has some morals,he thinks there are enough scammers out there without him jumping on the bandwagon. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Trebhygt wrote: »
    He hasn't sued because.....he has some morals,he thinks there are enough scammers out there without him jumping on the bandwagon. /QUOTE]
    sheriff????????

Was been sarcastic....lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Cheers tomofson

Some very good points, I have thought that a lot as in how much is this guy really responsible for, it’s questionable however on the flip side I find it odd that he has never taken any legal action against the papers or even the writers of a book were he is repeatedly named as the head of the gang responsible for all sorts of illegal activity, why wouldn’t he sue?

Perhaps he just doesn't want any more bad publicity, or thinks there's enough evidence to make any such case a bit shaky. Or, perhaps he doesn't want to draw any more attention to himself or his family - or perhaps, given the price on his head, he couldn't bring himself to set foot in Ireland to show up in our courts for such a case anyway :D

I'm not in any way saying that I personally believe him to be an innocent victim of a media smear campaign, but I've seen firsthand how the media can take their story from one side with an axe to grind and just run with it, becoming essentially a "smear for hire" outfit if someone is able to spin them a good yarn which will make some nice headlines, regardless of veracity. And I've been told by multiple people involved in the justice system that Paul Williams in particular is full of sh!t and firstly treats the Gardai as a 100% credible source with no need to fact check anything they tell him, and secondly is more than willing to sacrifice reality for jucier fiction if given the choice. Even the term "Crumlin-Drimnagh feud" which he himself coined to describe the Rattigan vs Thompson gang war and which was adopted universally by the Irish media has been described by people living locally as inaccurate - according to them, most of the alleged participants actually lived in Dolphin's Barn and Rialto.

There have also been multiple people who seem to actually know some of the people involved, comment in this thread and in other forums that the real feud is between the Hutch faction and the Byrne faction, not the Kinahans. I wouldn't see any reason to believe those people, but likewise anonymous gangsters talking to journalists don't rank much higher on my own list of what I'd consider credible sources of information. So if that statement by one of the gunmen singling out Daniel Kinahan is actually the original source of the term "Hutch-Kinahan feud", which it seems to be based on my own research into news stories from the time, I'd take it with at least some pinch of salt.

At the end of the day, the only thing we can reliably go on in these situations is our tried and tested justice system involving fair trials, burdens of proof, and juries of our peers. So in that context, I personally just find it distasteful that a person can lose their job, their business and be exiled from their colleagues and livelihood in the absence of a conviction. I'd regard it as no different to people tagged by #metoo losing their jobs and acting roles on the basis of accusations, without ever having actually been convicted in court - in my view, it just gives too much power in society to vindictive people who would be willing to lie about somebody they had a grudge against, just to hurt them. History has shown us that there are plenty of humans who are more than capable of that. Therefore, any system which relies on "someone said you did X, therefore you should be punished for doing X" and gives the accused no recourse to contest that, is something I personally find dystopian as it pertains to where society is headed in general.

I'd apply that to most of these cases tbh. All of us were fairly united a few years ago in regarding Seanie Fitz as a crook who deserved to be run over the coals for what happened to our banking system, but as it turned out he wasn't found guilty when those accusations were tested in court. The lead-up to that - in that particular case, apparently an incompetent investigation - is kinda irrelevant, the fact is that by our standards of justice he should be allowed to live his life and not face further penalty over those allegations. And rightly so - because the alternative, if you think of everything from the witch hunts, to Guantanamo Bay, to the Guildford Four, is horrific and unthinkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Perhaps he just doesn't want any more bad publicity, or thinks there's enough evidence to make any such case a bit shaky. Or, perhaps he doesn't want to draw any more attention to himself or his family - or perhaps, given the price on his head, he couldn't bring himself to set foot in Ireland to show up in our courts for such a case anyway :D

I'm not in any way saying that I personally believe him to be an innocent victim of a media smear campaign, but I've seen firsthand how the media can take their story from one side with an axe to grind and just run with it, becoming essentially a "smear for hire" outfit if someone is able to spin them a good yarn which will make some nice headlines, regardless of veracity. And I've been told by multiple people involved in the justice system that Paul Williams in particular is full of sh!t and firstly treats the Gardai as a 100% credible source with no need to fact check anything they tell him, and secondly is more than willing to sacrifice reality for jucier fiction if given the choice. Even the term "Crumlin-Drimnagh feud" which he himself coined to describe the Rattigan vs Thompson gang war and which was adopted universally by the Irish media has been described by people living locally as inaccurate - according to them, most of the alleged participants actually lived in Dolphin's Barn and Rialto.

There have also been multiple people who seem to actually know some of the people involved, comment in this thread and in other forums that the real feud is between the Hutch faction and the Byrne faction, not the Kinahans. I wouldn't see any reason to believe those people, but likewise anonymous gangsters talking to journalists don't rank much higher on my own list of what I'd consider credible sources of information. So if that statement by one of the gunmen singling out Daniel Kinahan is actually the original source of the term "Hutch-Kinahan feud", which it seems to be based on my own research into news stories from the time, I'd take it with at least some pinch of salt.

At the end of the day, the only thing we can reliably go on in these situations is our tried and tested justice system involving fair trials, burdens of proof, and juries of our peers. So in that context, I personally just find it distasteful that a person can lose their job, their business and be exiled from their colleagues and livelihood in the absence of a conviction. I'd regard it as no different to people tagged by #metoo losing their jobs and acting roles on the basis of accusations, without ever having actually been convicted in court - in my view, it just gives too much power in society to vindictive people who would be willing to lie about somebody they had a grudge against, just to hurt them. History has shown us that there are plenty of humans who are more than capable of that. Therefore, any system which relies on "someone said you did X, therefore you should be punished for doing X" and gives the accused no recourse to contest that, is something I personally find dystopian as it pertains to where society is headed in general.

I'd apply that to most of these cases tbh. All of us were fairly united a few years ago in regarding Seanie Fitz as a crook who deserved to be run over the coals for what happened to our banking system, but as it turned out he wasn't found guilty when those accusations were tested in court. The lead-up to that - in that particular case, apparently an incompetent investigation - is kinda irrelevant, the fact is that by our standards of justice he should be allowed to live his life and not face further penalty over those allegations. And rightly so - because the alternative, if you think of everything from the witch hunts, to Guantanamo Bay, to the Guildford Four, is horrific and unthinkable.

I thought a lot of the Rattigan gang were from Drimnagh , pretty certain Rattigan is from Cooley Road and the first victim , Gavin was from either Galtymore or Mourne road.Fairly there's quite a few more from Drimnagh too.

Freddy Thompson is from Cork street or Maryland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

it looks like the guy, pictured trying to remove graffiti about him two weeks ago.

Hard as a rock that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So it's hard to tell whether the media (potentially unfairly) turned him into the bogeyman based entirely on hearsay or if there's more to it than that.
    Difficult to know what to think about whether he's been singled out by the media as the guy to pin everything on.

https://youtu.be/Oewa1cJiTYw?t=397

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

A senior Garda detective from the regency investigation has been found dead at his garda station in Ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A senior Garda detective from the regency investigation has been found dead at his garda station in Ballymun

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0211/939853-garda-detective-death/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Collie D wrote: »
    Defence only requested 1000s of emails from Guards in the station the other day.

Defence only requested 1000s of emails from Guards in the station the other day.

Imagine this resulted in an acquittal

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

tomofson wrote: »
    Imagine this resulted in an acquittal

Was there an acquittal?

Was there an acquittal?

NO! but it would make things a lot more interesting if there was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Was he one of the Detectives that were were able to recognise the person in the female wig? If he was, I would imagine it will make a big difference to the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement