Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosemary Mac Cabe suggests #yesallmen...then claims she was joking

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Grayson wrote: »
    Women get harassed by men. I've read stories on here where women have mentioned it happening from the time they hit puberty. It's not every guy but pretty much every woman has been on the receiving end of some kind of vulgar comment or behaviour.

Women know it isn't every man. They know most men are decent but unfortunately because it happens often enough to them and their friends they can still end up being wary.

edit: I know that post is going to open up a can of worms. last time I posted something like that it went for pages telling me I was "virtue signaling" or "talking out of my arse". So before you reply understand that I'm specifically not saying that all men are like this. Or even a majority. Just a large enough minority that it's understandable why women can be wary of men they don't know.

Sometimes other people aren’t nice.
    Fact.
    It can make you feel sad, or mad, for a 1/2 hour or so, but most other people you meet today will generally be pleasant.
    As adults, unless we stay indoors hiding from other people, we need to learn a way to deal with the unpleasant bits and just get on with enjoying our short lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Grayson wrote: »
    Women get harassed by men. I've read stories on here where women have mentioned it happening from the time they hit puberty. It's not every guy but pretty much every woman has been on the receiving end of some kind of vulgar comment or behaviour.

Women know it isn't every man. They know most men are decent but unfortunately because it happens often enough to them and their friends they can still end up being wary.

edit: I know that post is going to open up a can of worms. last time I posted something like that it went for pages telling me I was "virtue signaling" or "talking out of my arse". So before you reply understand that I'm specifically not saying that all men are like this. Or even a majority. Just a large enough minority that it's understandable why women can be wary of men they don't know.
    I'm female. I have been sexually assaulted - forced to have sex without consent. Did it make me wary? Absolutely it did. I didn't sleep with anyone for three years after it. But I'm not a victim. I'm strong, and men wolf whistling or sounding horns of their car, while embarrassing in the moment, is not assaulting me or making me feel scared for my safety or something I'd even give a minute thinking about after it happened. If a man puts his hands on me, I'm totally capable and not behind the door in telling him to get his hands off me before I break his arm. Either of two things happen. They either take their hand away or they don't. 99% of the time they will. I'm not so delicate and precious that another man touching off me will traumatise me.
    Like I said, I'm female and ok looking, I'm not a complete dog, I can say that men don't go around grabbing my ass tits or crotch area. I'm trying to think the last time I was "touched" without consent and the only thing I can remember was this guy told me it was his birthday. Asked for a kiss. Went to kiss his cheek, he whipped his head and got me right on the lips. Bit cheeky but is it anything?

What I do know about most men is for the most part they're kind. From men younger than me, to men much older than me. I had a guy I didn't even know, 6 years younger than me, get into a taxi with me so as I wouldn't have to get a taxi on my own. He came to my house, stayed in the taxi and went back to town to meet up with the crowd he was out with. Men for the most part will look out for you, that 1% that's too pushy, generally a guy will step in. They'll let you skip the line in the chippers, they'll offer to share their chips in the taxi office, they'll give you their jacket, they'll offer to walk you home.

Yes there's bad men out there. Rapists, paedophiles, abusers. But they're certainly the minority. There's bad women out there too. Bad mothers. Bad kids. There's a lot of bad in the world but thankfully #yesallmen is not something we need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

I'm female. I have been sexually assaulted - forced to have sex without consent. Did it make me wary? Absolutely it did. I didn't sleep with anyone for three years after it. But I'm not a victim. I'm strong, and men wolf whistling or sounding horns of their car, while embarrassing in the moment, is not assaulting me or making me feel scared for my safety or something I'd even give a minute thinking about after it happened. If a man puts his hands on me, I'm totally capable and not behind the door in telling him to get his hands off me before I break his arm. Either of two things happen. They either take their hand away or they don't. 99% of the time they will. I'm not so delicate and precious that another man touching off me will traumatise me.
    Like I said, I'm female and ok looking, I'm not a complete dog, I can say that men don't go around grabbing my ass tits or crotch area. I'm trying to think the last time I was "touched" without consent and the only thing I can remember was this guy told me it was his birthday. Asked for a kiss. Went to kiss his cheek, he whipped his head and got me right on the lips. Bit cheeky but is it anything?

What I do know about most men is for the most part they're kind. From men younger than me, to men much older than me. I had a guy I didn't even know, 6 years younger than me, get into a taxi with me so as I wouldn't have to get a taxi on my own. He came to my house, stayed in the taxi and went back to town to meet up with the crowd he was out with. Men for the most part will look out for you, that 1% that's too pushy, generally a guy will step in. They'll let you skip the line in the chippers, they'll offer to share their chips in the taxi office, they'll give you their jacket, they'll offer to walk you home.

Yes there's bad men out there. Rapists, paedophiles, abusers. But they're certainly the minority. There's bad women out there too. Bad mothers. Bad kids. There's a lot of bad in the world but thankfully #yesallmen is not something we need to worry about.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Where are all these men that are always harassing women? I don't see them.

In the last 3-4 years I have noticed I talk to less men because less men interact with me, maybe that's age or maybe I have just deteriorated alot :D but either way they certainly don't harass me or the people I go out with. I think it's flattering when someone gives you a compliment or gestures that they are interested in you, even if it is a sleezy wolf whistle or a harmless touch. Isn't it nice to be acknowledged in a world where we are so pressured to be "perfect", I find it empowering, when it stops maybe then I'll feel oppressed..

Advertisement