Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosemary Mac Cabe suggests #yesallmen...then claims she was joking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Remember the days we used to be optimistic that the internet would be a great place? Then along came social media...

I'm reminded of this for some reason...

4be.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

anna080 wrote: »
    Was she joking here too? She posts shlt like this all the time

930lAi3.jpg

Poor thing can't get a minutes peace.

I find that funny, let's be honest she is not exactly a looker. Might be all in her big ego head.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I find that funny, let's be honest she is not exactly a looker. Might be all in her big ego head.

Careful now. She'll be tweeting about your comment later on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A quick google of her name...tells me that she was stepping away from social media and would be no longer posting less than a month ago
    For any atomic powered attention seeker, stepping away from social media would be more difficult than a heroin addict giving up the smack.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Women get harassed by men. I've read stories on here where women have mentioned it happening from the time they hit puberty. It's not every guy but pretty much every woman has been on the receiving end of some kind of vulgar comment or behaviour.

Women know it isn't every man. They know most men are decent but unfortunately because it happens often enough to them and their friends they can still end up being wary.

edit: I know that post is going to open up a can of worms. last time I posted something like that it went for pages telling me I was "virtue signaling" or "talking out of my arse". So before you reply understand that I'm specifically not saying that all men are like this. Or even a majority. Just a large enough minority that it's understandable why women can be wary of men they don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

anna080 wrote: »
    Careful now. She'll be tweeting about your comment later on.

Well it won't matter. She clearly thinks all men are s**t no matter they say or do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Grayson wrote: »
    Women get harassed by men. I've read stories on here where women have mentioned it happening from the time they hit puberty. It's not every guy but pretty much every woman has been on the receiving end of some kind of vulgar comment or behaviour.

See, I think this is the key part to this whole thing.

It's not the majority of men doing it, but the majority of women are on the receiving end of sexual harassment at some point in their lives.

As the majority of women end up on the receiving end, it's incredibly easy for them to view it as the majority of men causing it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I have looked at her twitter - the term "swivvel eyed loon" comes to mind.

Look, she obviously has some sort of a problem with men in general, but the real question is why does anybody care? Lads on the internet get so wound up by the idea that some looper of a woman might be judging them based on their genitalia rather than their personalities and what they have done, but why does it matter? The lunatic minority who make sweeping, angry statements against the entirety of either 50% of the population are cranks - why spend brainspace worrying about what a crank thinks of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Sonics2k wrote: »

It's not the majority of men doing it, but the majority of women are on the receiving end of sexual harassment at some point in their lives.

As the majority of women end up on the receiving end, it's incredibly easy for them to view it as the majority of men causing it to happen.

Except that isn't remotely easy at all.. think about it. Of all the men, any given harassed women has met, how many of them DID NOT harass said woman? Quite clearly the vast, vast majority of them. How many women has the average women 'met' in her lifetime? Tens of thousands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I have to say that as a guy, I have been on the end of pretty nasty sexual harassment myself over the years from both genders and it is not pleasant and people do need to have more cop on.

I've been groped in nightclubs and not by women I wasn't in anyway interested in. I mean quite aggressively having my rear end pinched, felt up. You laugh it off to a point but it is annoying.

The worst I've ever had was where I was pushed against the wall in a club and a woman basically tried to shove her tongue into my mouth while two of her friends encouraged her to 'score' with me. I didn't want to go near her and she was actually really unattractive and had cigarette breath and, being a guy you can't really just shove her out of the way either. So I ended up having to kind of slide out of the way and somehow get the hell out of the place.

I've also had women come onto me when I wasn't interested and been told I'm weird, gay, 'frigid', you name it because I wasn't interested.

I've also been stalked very badly by a woman who pursued me around a college campus for weeks. It got to the stage I actually had to take time off college which impacted my performance quite badly that year.

On the male side: I've had guys grab my rear, drop the hand and be way too pushy about stuff once or twice too. Again, in nightclub scenarios mostly.

You also get the weird scenario where some woman will crack onto a gay guy and won't back down. I've seen that a few times and I know there are guys out there who will do exactly the same to gay women.

Double standards most definitely apply though as you can't really defend yourself against women and nobody takes you seriously if you are badly harassed.
    My view of it is that a lot of men get quite badly sexually harassed and even assaulted but because of cultural norms, just don't do anything about it.

3 of my male friend have been very badly stalked for example and I don't think any of us are breathtakingly attractive or anything. All the guys in question are just 'normal', nice, friendly blokes and somehow got into the targeting system of psychos with control freak issues.

---

I would add that I am hugely in support of furthering gender equality, women's rights, and think that women have been and continue to be treated absolutely disgracefully by societies and various institutions due to a long legacy of basically institutionalised misogyny and discrimination. However, you can't make progress by lumping all men into the same category. Other than we all have the same genitalia, I am not really sure what or why I would be lumped into the same category as some **** who goes around sexually harassing or sexually assaulting people.

It's really unfair, and it's totally counterproductive.

• Advertisement

Men get harassed by women and other men. Doesn't excuse being nasty to the whole gender. Women get harassed by other women, but we don't see the public outcry about that (have a look at violence in gay relationships, or female prisons)

I've been verbally attacked and physically attacked by women. I've had a female stranger take a knife to me because of a case of mistaken identity. I've had a drunk female smash a pint glass across the back of my head, for "****s and giggles". I can list dozens of incidents over 40 years where females have insulted me, attacked me, or done similar to people within my eyesight. Oh.. and I could easily reinterpret stories to put a sexual element to them even without mentioning the women who have attempted sex while I was asleep. But hey! that's not terribly important because I'm a man, and women don't behave that way.

Doesn't mean I'm going to accuse the whole female gender for the behavior of a minority. I'm not even going to say it's a minority of females but...
    Women know it isn't every man. They know most men are decent but unfortunately because it happens often enough to them and their friends they can still end up being wary.

Women know it isn't every man. The problem isn't with "women". The problem is with some women who through their experiences have come to hate or distrust men. These women do not acknowledge their own personal responsibility for their experiences and instead seek to absolve themselves of their mistakes by blaming men.

Are there men out there who are murderous, sadistic or rapists? Yes, there are. But you don't try attaching that behavior to the gender. You attach it to personality types. The same way we would for women who behave in the same manner. We find a female molester, nobody blames the gender, they blame her state of mind... These double standards are really starting to become extremely irritating.
    edit: I know that post is going to open up a can of worms. last time I posted something like that it went for pages telling me I was "virtue signaling" or "talking out of my arse". So before you reply understand that I'm specifically not saying that all men are like this. Or even a majority. Just a large enough minority that it's understandable why women can be wary of men they don't know.

The disclaimer doesn't help much. I get tired of this victim protection behavior going on to excuse the behavior of these man-hating women. That they're somehow justified because they encountered someone who was an absolute ****. And yet, I have scars on my body & soul from various women I've met in my life, and I don't take that as a reason to step up on a podium labeling all women as potential violent offenders, or nutcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Nobody here is saying that there is not a minority of men that are assholes . Let's say 10 percent as a generous figure. That a serious problem and needs addressing but you can't claim that the other 90 percent are responsible.

I'm sure there is a similar. Or comparable percentage of women acting the same but that's not reported the same or scuttered all over social media

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

She should be sacked from her job.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I have looked at her twitter - the term "swivvel eyed loon" comes to mind.

Look, she obviously has some sort of a problem with men in general, but the real question is why does anybody care? Lads on the internet get so wound up by the idea that some looper of a woman might be judging them based on their genitalia rather than their personalities and what they have done, but why does it matter? The lunatic minority who make sweeping, angry statements against the entirety of either 50% of the population are cranks - why spend brainspace worrying about what a crank thinks of you?

Because men have been ignoring this stuff for decades now, and it's not encouraging it to disappear. Look at the changes in society and law which have gone to the extent of making gender studies classes acceptable at the secondary school level. Young boys are actually being taught to be ashamed of their gender.

Ignoring this kind of behavior is not helping. It's not going away, and judging by the numbers of sexual abuse/harassment articles or accusations that have popped up over the last 6 months, the movement is growing.

Men will only receive equality in our society when we say enough is enough. Otherwise, you will wake up one day in a very unequal society, where women can accuse men of harassment/abuse without evidence, and you will be punished for it. Oh, wait...

As I see it, it's her job to provoke debate. That's what social commentators and journalists do. I don't agree with her but, I would rather debate the issues like grown-ups from the 21st century, not just engage in pointless gender arguments.

As I see it, it's her job to provoke debate. That's what social commentators and journalists do. I don't agree with her but, I would rather debate the issues like grown-ups from the 21st century, rather than engage in pointless gender arguments.

If that's her job, she should sack herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

As I see it, it's her job to provoke debate. That's what social commentators and journalists do. I don't agree with her but, I would rather debate the issues like grown-ups from the 21st century, rather than engage in pointless gender arguments.

I would agree if she was provoking debate and raising genuine issues
    what she is doing is hate speech and branding everyone that stands up to her as a rapist and part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

Debtocracy wrote: »
    Something interesting about the whole #metoo discourse is the degree to which women will attack average/normal guys. Now the average man has nothing to do with this as the whole point is men in power, using their power to make unwanted advances at women. But women will blame the average man for almost creating a rape culture that facilitates powerful men (as if they wait around for their subordinate’s approval).

My sense is that women get angry at average guys because they’re an easier target, they’re less powerful. Throughout evolutionary history, the dominant, powerful man has always been an attractive mate for women so attacking him can feel a bit weird. They feel a lot more comfortable displacing their anger onto the average guy.

Here's the latest case I've found of looking to ride that train to get attention for something that really has nothing to do with the victims of the like of Weinstein went through

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/music/the-chainsmokers-alex-pall-allegedly-caught-cheating-by-girlfriend-tori-woodward-in-cctv-video/ar-AAuOBoR?li=AAdfeCr&ocid=spartanntp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

As I see it, it's her job to provoke debate. That's what social commentators and journalists do. I don't agree with her but, I would rather debate the issues like grown-ups from the 21st century, not just engage in pointless gender arguments.

You do realise that her whole position, and the reason people are pissed off, is a pointless gender argument?

I mean I generally don't like censorship, largely because when idiots like this are let speak they usually help to discredit themselves. However to pretend there's a rational debate to be had about this is nonsense. Maybe we should fit it in after the debates around 'Were the Nazis right about Jews' or 'Do the KKK have a point about blacks'-because that's the level trash like this exists at. The only debate to be had here is why bigots like this so often seem to get a pass from certain media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

In fairness to that poster you quoted, they were referring to her claim that she has spent every day of her 31 years avoiding being harassed be men. There's no denying a lot of women get harassed at some point throughout their life, absolutely, some even regularly, but every single day of their life without fail? Every day when she is just an average looking woman who isn't in the public eye- despite her best efforts- seems a bit of an exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

JayZeus wrote: »
    If that's her job, she should sack herself.
    Having a twitter account is not a job :D

I'm not saying that there's a rational debate to be had and I'm not agreeing with or defending her tweet.

I just think that sometimes people tweet things in odd contexts and I would rather understand why she tweeted that than jump on the bandwagon of ripping someone apart on social media over a one liner. I'm just not one for pillorying someone over a tweet. I'd really have to read her pieces in a lot more detail before I'd have any opinion at all tbh.

As I've outlined in previous posts though, I am really offended by the notion that anyone's attempting to just dump all men into one category and associate me and everyone else with sexual harassment.

I just want to understand what the thought process behind that is and I would rather dismantle the argument than the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Exactly. At the end of the day she's just another sad bastarb with an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

who?

miguel-cabrera-game-5-alds-home-run.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Boom_Bap wrote: »

She is one of many, unfortunately. Did anyone read about the 'social media influencer' who tried to get a free stay in an expensive hotel? She claimed it would promote the hotel, via her instagram, and whatsapp, among other social media accnts.
    Well, the hotel (without naming her) posted her email, and justifiably mocked her. She wasn't revealed, at all, but idiotically revealed herself on youtube (even claiming that 'old' people don't understand social media. (She's 22, and describes herself as 'a girl'-and that they are 'harming her business'. Coupled with allegations of bullying).

There are so many deluded and incredibly immature people on the web. McCabe is one of too many. I will admit, I'm as immature as the next person. The difference being that I don't seek to blame anyone else for my foibles. Nor do I claim people are responsible for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The gym she works in charges premium pricing, no Ben Dunne deals here. Tiny place too

Maybe none of the members care but if just a handful say they don’t want to pay for classes with Rosemary then management are in a difficult place regarding keeping her employed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The gym she works in charges premium pricing, no Ben Dunne deals here. Tiny place too

Maybe none of the members care but if just a handful say they don’t want to pay for classes with Rosemary then management are in a difficult place regarding keeping her employed

That radio station she got into a spat with named the 'exact' place she worked, which some are alleging is doxxing. I don't buy that, since she lists it in her twitter.
    But it is an interesting conundrum-if she refuses to train men, she's a misandrist. And if she accepts money from men while hating them, what does that make her?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

She is one of many, unfortunately. Did anyone read about the 'social media influencer' who tried to get a free stay in an expensive hotel? She claimed it would promote the hotel, via her instagram, and whatsapp, among other social media accnts.
    Well, the hotel (without naming her) posted her email, and justifiably mocked her. She wasn't revealed, at all, but idiotically revealed herself on youtube (even claiming that 'old' people don't understand social media. (She's 22, and describes herself as 'a girl'-and that they are 'harming her business'. Coupled with allegations of bullying).

There are so many deluded and incredibly immature people on the web. McCabe is one of too many. I will admit, I'm as immature as the next person. The difference being that I don't seek to blame anyone else for my foibles. Nor do I claim people are responsible for it.

I love the way that girl used the term "collaborate" so freely while in the real world we call that being a tight moocher

And if she accepts money from men while hating them, what does that make her?

Practical? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Sonics2k wrote: »

In fairness, you could say this to justify just about any negative stereotype about a large group of people.

As the majority of men are on the receiving end of nagging at some point in their lives....you get the idea

Any men who make negative generalisations about women are branded as misogynists. Why is the misandry in our media tolerated when women make negative generalisations about men?

Advertisement