Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S9/9+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SachaJ wrote: »
    Mine arrived yesterday and I’m still trying to figure it out after coming from an iPhone 6. The weight of the 9+ is surprising. Quite heavy.

Any recommend a charger? Need to get something for work. Or just use the micro-USB to USB-C adapter? Also need to get a screen protector, tempered glass or similar.
    If you want something for a desk at work I find the wireless charger very handy.
    If you want cables then as Pat mentioned Anker are top notch and good value on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So, I've had the S9 Plus for 36 hours now, as an upgrade from an S7 Edge. Obviously the battery is better, that much I'd expected, but lots of other things are different.

The phone is heavy, much heavier than the S7. On the spec sheet it isn't, but in the hand it defintiely is. That's not a bad thing though, and it feels sturdy. I bought a £4 Moko clear plastic case for it and it's excellent - it's such an attractive phone that I didn't want a full cover case to hide it and this one offers excellent protection without taking away from the look of the phone.

The absense of a fingerprint reader on the front had been an issue. I enabled face-unlock, however one of the key things I liked about the S7 was being able to read and dismiss the notifications on the screen without unlocking the phone, but face-unlock means this can't happen as no sooner have you picked the phone up and pressed the power button than the screen is unlocked, so I'll probably be disabling it. Half the time I just want to see what my notifications are without unlocking the phone!! What I didn't realise was that the fingerprint reader on the back is essentially the button that was on the front of the S7. I thought I had to press the power button, then use the fingerprint reader (which felt like a right pain), however holding my finger on the rear fingerprint reader unlocks the screen, which is great (I realise this is probably how the S8 works, but it's a change from the S7)

The screen is amazing, absolutely stunning. The customisation options, as you'd expect with an Android phone, are brilliant. I'm loving it so far.

A few gripes though - the AR stuff is very gimmicky. It's fun for a laugh, but like with the iPhone X I can't imagine anyone really using it after about 10 minutes. At least you can put these characters into any messaging app, if you were bothered. At the moment, my mail and WhatsApp icons aren't updating with unread message counts, which is annoying - I don't know if that's just me? Bixby is fairly ****e. There are some cool things it can do, but its voice recognition is only ok, and you can't ask it the range of questions you can ask Google, so it has only some very specific uses. It interacts with certain applications well but the amount of apps is limited. The face unlock feature needs light - it won't work in a dark room, unlike the iPhone one, so you have to switch between unlock methods, which is a bit stupid. The fingerprint reader is probably the best bet and getting used to it on the back, especially below the camera, doesn't feel that difficult. Finally, the new way Android shows notifications (such as WhatsApp) while you've unlocked the phone is... interesting. I'm not sure I like it yet, but we'll see after more time with it.

That's about it tbh. It's a fantastic phone, and I haven't even had a chance to try the camera properly yet. If you're going from the S7 it's a significant upgrade though I can't vouch for going from the S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

What screen protectors are people going for? The free case with Vodafone is quite good but I still have the peel off plastic screen cover on the phone. I know we can get a free screen replacement with Vodafone but still I'd prefer not scratch it. The Whitestone Dome is on Amazon but £40 is a bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

SachaJ wrote: »
    What screen protectors are people going for? The free case with Vodafone is quite good but I still have the peel off plastic screen cover on the phone. I know we can get a free screen replacement with Vodafone but still I'd prefer not scratch it. The Whitestone Dome is on Amazon but £40 is a bit steep

What cases are vodafone giving with the s9?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    What cases are vodafone giving with the s9?

Its an official samsung case. Kind of beefy, has a kickstand.

• Advertisement

Like a wallet or an 'open front' one?

It's the Rugged Protective Cover. I'm impressed with it. Seems tough as nails

Thing is I don't know what screen covers will work with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Like a wallet or an 'open front' one?

This one. Its fairly good to be fair

galaxy-s9_accessories_protective_c01_1_s.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I can't vouch for going from the S8.[\quote]

Just went to have a look at the 9+ in a local shop, the Samsung rep told me not to bother upgrading from a 8+ as apart from the camera, I wouldn't see any improvements.

I walked out with my money still in my pocket, so I guess that the Samsung rep wasn't working for commission :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

On mobile, it may have been asked sheath. Has anyone gone with a glass screen protector for their S9+? Any recommendations? Thanks PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have picked up a S9+ on Vodafone, coming from a flat S6, this is a major change for me :eek::D

The free Samsung case is great though. Just need to find a screen protector as I'm so worried about damaging the screen!

Such a beautiful amazing phone! and the camera is spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

€4.32 for a Glass protector that's case friendly. I use these the whole time for my S8 with various covers on, will definitely work. A couple of weeks shipping time though and only available in black colour for S9 at the moment. (They are €1.91c for an S8 one too)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Suntaiho-Case-Friendly-Tempred-Glass-For-Samsung-S9-S9-Plus-S8-S8-Plus-Note-8-Note/32848818459.html

There's some on mobile fun that are the same but over 20 euro.

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have picked up a S9+ on Vodafone, coming from a flat S6, this is a major change for me :eek::D

The free Samsung case is great though. Just need to find a screen protector as I'm so worried about damaging the screen!

Such a beautiful amazing phone! and the camera is spectacular!

You FINALLY got a new device.....congrats!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Basil3 wrote: »
    You FINALLY got a new device.....congrats!! :)

Haha I know!! Loving it though! :D

I'm having huge difficulty finding an OEM charger with at least 2 ports that will charge the phone quickly, as in the screen displays 'fast charging', like when using the original charger. I bought 2 different adapters on Amazon, both of which claim fast charging, and although I'm sure they're quick enough, neither work in the same way as the original.

Any suggestions?

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm having huge difficulty finding an OEM charger with at least 2 ports that will charge the phone quickly, as in the screen displays 'fast charging', like when using the original charger. I bought 2 different adapters on Amazon, both of which claim fast charging, and although I'm sure they're quick enough, neither work in the same way as the original.

Any suggestions?

Any of the ones that show Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 and above should be fine. I have an Anker multiport one that works fine.

Can you tell me which Anker it is? I bought an Anker, which I found out afterwards didn't support Qualcomm 2.0, and bought a RavPower which doesn't seem to support it either - both have gone back now.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Can you tell me which Anker it is? I bought an Anker, which I found out afterwards didn't support Qualcomm 2.0, and bought a RavPower which doesn't seem to support it either - both have gone back now.

I have something like this one.

Anker 63W 5-Port USB Wall Charger with Dual Quick Charge 3.0 Ports, Anker PowerPort Speed 5 for Samsung Galaxy S8 / S7 / S6, Note 4 / 5, LG G4 / G5, HTC One M8 / M9 / A9, Nexus 6, iPhone, iPad and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KUTRGS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HouQAbD8XHW96

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Any recommendations on a good case and screen cover for the S9+

I just purchased the ZAGG glass curve and Samsung standing cover. I haven't put them on the phone but will let you know how I get on.

I purchased them both in a bricks and mortar as I didn't want to use the phone without *some* protection on the phone. I will order a different case soon.

• Advertisement

What shop did you buy them in? I'm looking for the Zagg cover but can find it.

My local Vodafone shop tried to tell me there will be no accessories released until the 26th.

I just purchased the ZAGG glass curve and Samsung standing cover. I haven't put them on the phone but will let you know how I get on.

I purchased them both in a bricks and mortar as I didn't want to use the phone without *some* protection on the phone. I will order a different case soon.

The ZAGG screen protector was purchased in a Three store (bricks and mortar). It was 40 EUR. The Eir/Vodafone stores had no cases or covers.

My local Carphone Warehouses have the official Samsung Hyperknit Cover, Protective Standing Cover and Alcantara Cover. None of the local phone stores had the LED View Cover.

Most of the stores had an Otterbox case and one or two had some generic brand rubber type case.
    j14 wrote: »
    What shop did you buy them in? I'm looking for the Zagg cover but can find it.

My local Vodafone shop tried to tell me there will be no accessories released until the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Can I ask what made you go with a ZAGG protector ( basically a plastic one? - Excuse my ignorance - I think I had one put on for me about 5 years ago in a CPWH store on an old Sony phone before Glass protectors became popular) intead of a glass protector? Would I be correct in saying there is little to no protection to the screen? Just curious :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

j14 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a good case and screen cover for the S9+

I bought the Spigen Hybrid Case and the Whitestone Dome screen protector. Both are excellent!

Dylan94 wrote: »
    I bought the Spigen Hybrid Case and the Whitestone Dome screen protector. Both are excellent!

Does the Whitestone come off after the glue bonds? As in can I get the protector off if I need to?

I think I need a screen protector but not altogether sure as Vodafone will give me a new screen within 12 months.

It is a glass protector, "ZAGG InvisibleShield glass curve".
    rizzee wrote: »
    Can I ask what made you go with a ZAGG protector ( basically a plastic one? - Excuse my ignorance - I think I had one put on for me about 5 years ago in a CPWH store on an old Sony phone before Glass protectors became popular) intead of a glass protector? Would I be correct in saying there is little to no protection to the screen? Just curious :)

I'm in Dublin and no screen protectors in 3 store Liffey Valley, Vodafone Liffey Valley or Carphone Warehouse Carrickmines.

The ZAGG screen protector was purchased in a Three store (bricks and mortar). It was 40 EUR. The Eir/Vodafone stores had no cases or covers.

My local Carphone Warehouses have the official Samsung Hyperknit Cover, Protective Standing Cover and Alcantara Cover. None of the local phone stores had the LED View Cover.

Most of the stores had an Otterbox case and one or two had some generic brand rubber type case.

I think it's fair to say the S9 doesn't offer anything amazing above previous devices. If there was some kind of stand out feature that was blowing people away then we would probably be hearing about it rather than chargers, screen protectors and cases. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Im upgrading from an s7 so im expecting a big enough jump tbh

Advertisement