Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Dunshaughlin news

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a chat about the level and speed of traffic down the Drumree Road and one possibility raised was ramps. The traffic that is avoiding the toll is using the Drumree Road as the feeder back onto the M3 where its signposted correctly back to the water tower on the r147 and then onto the M3. Where I live there is a huge amount of HGV traffic going down what is a very narrow road by the Arch Bar onto the Drumree Road.

Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had a chat about the level and speed of traffic down the Drumree Road and one possibility raised was ramps. The traffic that is avoiding the toll is using the Drumree Road as the feeder back onto the M3 where its signposted correctly back to the water tower on the r147 and then onto the M3. Where I live there is a huge amount of HGV traffic going down what is a very narrow road by the Arch Bar onto the Drumree Road.

Any thoughts

I would agree with you re: speed ramps. I live in an estate near the secondary school and there are always cars flying up and down that road. It's a constant danger trying to get out of the estate a lot of the time, never mind the lorrys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

I think with Lidl opening and such an amount of development in the 'village' there will hopefully be a good level of consultation/planning re the traffic plans for a number of areas in Dunshaughlin, not just the above named areas.

There's new estates being built at almost every entrance to the village and this is going to result in an absolute bottleneck for traffic in the centre. It's fantastic to see such life breathing into Dunshaughlin, but it's vital that the proper infrastructure is in place by MCC to ensure slower traffic, safe road crossings, and better parking with some level of enforcement for those who double park etc.

There's roadworks going on starting today for the next four weeks from Bank of Ireland past Lidl for the new entrance to the retail units as well.

Might give people a kick in the hole to get a train station next! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another very large area of land seems to be for sale and is already zoned residential. This one is on the Ratoath side of Dunshaughlin right next to the huge development already taking place at Seachnails road.

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/meath-residential-lands-at-525m-36962356.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Gonzo wrote: »
    another very large area of land seems to be for sale and is already zoned residential. This one is on the Ratoath side of Dunshaughlin right next to the huge development already taking place at Seachnails road.

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/meath-residential-lands-at-525m-36962356.html

"An abundance of restaurants " is included in that,ha come on....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bussywussy wrote: »

pity the article didn't mention the abundance of hairdressers!

Excuse me...there actually is an abundance of restaurants.

You must be forgetting Massimo's, The Village Grill, Dragon Chinese Take Away, Pizza Point, The Snug, Apache Pizza, The Golden Phoenix and now Supervalu has a hot food counter and a salad counter.

Any discerning upwardly mobile professional couple would be mad not to factor in Dunshaughlin's thriving food scene when considering a move.

Exile59 wrote: »
    Excuse me...there actually is an abundance of restaurants.

You must be forgetting Massimo's, The Village Grill, Dragon Chinese Take Away, Pizza Point, The Snug, Apache Pizza, The Golden Phoenix and now Supervalu has a hot food counter and a salad counter.

Any discerning upwardly mobile professional couple would be mad not to factor in Dunshaughlin's thriving food scene when considering a move.

:-) I'll settle if we got a fifty 50

Cafe Bella is opening tomorrow 21st at 11am

• Advertisement

Cafe Bella is opening tomorrow 21st at 11am

Is that in behind Jennys?

Is that in behind Jennys?
    Indeed it is...i won't get a chance to try it until next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

Any thoughts

I came to live here nearly 40 years ago and the Drumree Road was quiet, none of the hair raising speed chasers or HGVs tormenting us. A letter was sent in years ago by someone asking could something be done, it didn't even warrant a reply so that just goes to show you. There was an announcement recently about installing road signs telling HGV drivers the road is only for local access, yep, that is really going to stop them. If Cavan County Council can put huge ramps everywhere, so can MCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

If this development goes ahead, hopefully they will get realign that stretch to get rid of the hairpin bends on the Ratoath Road. When you have had a late night in town, you always feel those bends the worse on the 109A.

If this development goes ahead, hopefully they will get realign that stretch to get rid of the hairpin bends on the Ratoath Road. When you have had a late night in town, you always feel those bends the worse on the 109A.

yeah hopefully they will realign the road and build a footpath. That stretch of road is not good and incredibly dangerous for anyone walking.

Have walked that road many a time back on the day (never mind back from the vortex/swans/Ashbourne!!!) and would absolutely love a footpath connecting the two villages.

So it's a Costa Coffee opening in the new glass unit at the front of Lidl. Not a big fan of their coffee at all myself, but hey, it's a vote of confidence in the town.

As for the most recent opening in Dunshaughlin, we had a coffee and carrot cake in Cafe Bella last weekend. The coffee was nice, the carrot cake was really tasty. Huge portion, easily enough for two of us in the one slice. There's seats outside which is good for the nice weather. I have to say though, the decor inside was definitely not to our liking. Very dark.

Best of luck to them though and great to see new business opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Just found this thread today, I didn't know of it's existence till now, but I will be posting here in future.

New Pharmacy CarePlus (Conaty's) to go into one of the new units in front of the new Lidl, which is opening on 19th July.

Any thoughts

Has anyone heard a rumour that the Drumree road from the village out to the roundabout near the GAA pitches is to have a HGV ban? If it's true it would be great news.

• Advertisement

I had brought this up as a solution to one of the councillors but he was more of the opinion to use ramps on that road. Id be delighted to see that and other measures to slow all traffic on that road.

I found something in relation to this HGV Ban on the Meath County Council Site.
    Road Notices & Information

Traffic / Roads Update - Regulatory HGV Signage - 7.5 tonne maximum vehicle gross weight signs on a section of the L-2208 Dunsany Road in Dunshaughlin - takes effect from 10.00a.m. on Monday, 16th July 2018

Date Released: 13 June 2018

Road Traffic Act, 1961

REGULATORY HGV SIGNAGE - DUNSHAUGHLIN

Section 95 (3) (b) of the Road Traffic Act 1961 (as amended) provides that a road authority may, after consultation with the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána, provide in respect of public roads in their charge such regulatory signs as they consider desirable.

Meath County Council, having already consulted with the Commissioner, intends to provide regulatory 7.5 tonne maximum vehicle gross weight signs on a section of the L-2208 Dunsany Road in Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath between its junction with the R147 at Dunshaughlin/Cooksland to its junction with the R125 at Readsland/Roestown.

This will now take effect from 10.00a.m. on Monday, 16th July 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I suspect this is directly related to Kilsaran getting the go ahead to accept 5.6 billion tonnes of heavy construction waste at Swainstown between Dunsany and Kilmessan over a period of 14 years.

This is roughly speaking one truck every 10 minutes 6 days a week between 8am to 6pm (2pm on Saturdays).

Next on the agenda is the speed of the car traffic on that road

Next on the agenda is the speed of the car traffic on that road

Ramps more than likely? Especially with the school on that road.

Hopefully

So I went into the new Lidl this morning to grab one of the lawnmowers before the rest of ye got yer hands on them...

It really is very impressive. I'm not exactly a supermarket aficionado but as far as Lidl's go, it really is impressive. It's really big, there's a coffee machine, bakery inside the door and the car park is great. And there's a huge selection of goods. As I was driving out looking at the new store and the new buildings on Main street, the village all of a sudden seemed much less like a village. Which is great.

Siro (a joint venture between ESB and Vodafone), have started work on bringing their gigabit fibre network to the urban areas of Dunshaughlin.

FTTH will bring speeds of up to 1000 meg through the urban part of Lagore Road and the Maelduin estate. They will probably also rollout the service to other estates around the town.

Siro (a joint venture between ESB and Vodafone), have started work on bringing their gigabit fibre network to the urban areas of Dunshaughlin.

FTTH will bring speeds of up to 1000 meg through the urban part of Lagore Road and the Maelduin estate. They will probably also rollout the service to other estates around the town.

Any idea how long it will take for the roll out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Did anybody get a chance to see the tumbleweed at Supervalue yesterday? Never seen it as quite, perhaps because of the Lidl opening day, Kinda felt sorry for them :pac:

Advertisement