Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

Seems to be a group of fake carol singers going around estates in the village. While 2 are singing at the front door there is another checking side gates. Best keep an eye if anyone calls to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

After years of Supervalue "take-it-or-leave-it", how are we getting on with a choice now of two more supermarkets? At a point in time, typically, the SV car park always seems pretty full still, less so with Lidl and Aldi.

Personally, I tend to alternate between SV and Lidl...SV for the quality/favourite brands and Lidl for the less cramped aisles, and a browse round the hardware/gadget shelves. Tried Aldi's but haven't been "hooked" yet.

I still have a residue of resentment about how Supervalue blocked competition for so long but I have to admit there is definitely a warmer, friendlier shopping experience there compared to Lidl's. The latter seems more impersonal and there always to be just a skeleton staff.

Each to their own, I suppose...but it's great to have a choice and having three supermarkets really helps the buzz of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd agree. To be honest, I've only been into Aldi 2 or 3 times. I live up the Lidl side of the village but I'd say I'm 60/40 split shopping in Lidl compared to SV.

Always nice to have the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Same I split between the 3 shops depending on certain goods that only SV has.

But I would say I am 40/40 Lidl/Aldi and last 20 on SV.

Staff in both Lidl and Alid seem fine to me but I would say I would be there every 2nd day so more likely to get to recognise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I'm also split between the 3 shops, again it does depend on certain goods that only Aldi, Lidl or SuperValu have and I would say I am 60/30/10 between Aldi/Lidl and SuperValu. I'm also glad Aldi and Lidl are located in the village, as I do remember Lidl was planning on building where the new school is currently getting built on the Dublin Road next to the Willows. I find it so handy as I can park in Aldi, do the majority of my shopping in Aldi, then walk over to Lidl for a few things and even get some eggs from the machine outside the EuroMart on the way back to the car!

I was put off by Lidl for the first year or so after it opened here, but the ques at the tills has improved a lot in the last year or so.

I do agree with the comments from CUCINA about the "residue of resentment" for Supervalu blocking the competition for so long, I always thought it was very short sighted of SuperValu, as I could see SuperValu in Trim was still busy with Lidl there and then followed with Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 TJ Valentine

I heard a rumour a while back that Tesco Metro/ Express coming to town?

Pretty significant build size wise. Seems an odd place to build it too.

https://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/212334/0

Well that not going to be a Tesco Express!! 😂

Interesting development alright, two manufacturing buildings, so that's the last leg of the link road from the Willows also shown

Nope not the kinda shopping I would need to do. Not in the market for precast concrete so often! Yes link road shown in the planning. I don't know if the builder across the road will object or do a deal on materials lol.

I think the Tesco would have been where the development on the opposite side of the above planning application.

• Advertisement

Ah there's been rumours of a Tesco Express coming to Dunshaughlin since Adam was a boy, the latest one I heard, was in the current development beside The Arch Bar.

Yep I heard that one too and before that where the Auto Shop is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TJ Valentine

The commercial unit in the development beside Arch Bar is quite sizeable by the looks of it. Had a peep in when walking dog.

I see on Dunshaughlin Grapevine, that there's going to "Watermain Works" on the main street of Dunshaughlin, starting on the 21st February 2022, with approximately 3 month duration. the work is to start on the Dublin side of the village, outside St. Seachnall National School and work their way through the village and finish at Dunshaughlin Motor Company.

The 10KM race is back on the 18th June - registration will open on the Pop Up Races site at 6pm today (19/02)

I see on Meath Chronicle this morning that Irish Water are going to be doing additional works in Dunshaughlin from end of May to end of June.

"The additional works, which will take place from St Seachnalls National School

to the Church of Saint Patrick and Seachnall, will start at the end of May and

are expected to be completed by the end of June 2022."

A sellout of 1200 entries for the annual 10km race this Saturday evening in the village, back after 3 years. It should be a great buzz, especially with all the new families in the area.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to install traffic lights at The Willows?

Should be fun when the traffic lights are turned on at Dun Ríoga and when the schools reopen!

Yep thats what was taking so long at the beginning of the works. They were laying the electric and signal box stuff. They re also adding a new lane to turn left from the estate.

The works are supposed to last 6 weeks we were told.

Taken fom Cllr Gerry O Connor

FYI

Good news today

Applegreen, have lodged their planning application for an off motorway development to include a service station, retail units and and large carpark for statutory long hall driver breaks. The development will include a take away and sit down fast food outlet. It will be similar to the Enfield development. The location of the development is as per the map.(marked in red stripes ref 1)A similar application in 2016 received full permission from Meath County Council but was refused by An Bord Pleanala on the grounds that the land was not zoned.

During the County Development Plan process, I put a motion in to change the zoning from agriculture to economic development. The motion was opposed by MCC but my fellow Councillors supported me and the motion was passed. Similarly, the Office of the Planning Regulator opposed the motion but having given reasonable responses subsequently changed their stance.

This is a multi million euro development for Dunshaughlin and will create around 25 local jobs.

Its been a long road but I'm delighted.

Dropped pin to where the site is.

https://goo.gl/maps/UvycD1EDHLg4gvz18

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There is going to be a creche in the retail unit opposite the Arch Bar, spaces for 42 children (dont know where they will fit them)

Gourmet Food Parlour open 10th October above Costa.

Harvest Festival next weekend with plenty of activities throughout the couple of days. Should be a busy one with the influx of new families and with it been cancelled the last couple of years.

DYFC and Dunshaughlin Athletic Club joint open day of pitches and running track beside the Willows on Saturday 1st October. Day out for the family!

Running track doesnt look ready at the moment.

Was down there yesterday.

Full steam ahead this week!

It was getting worked on today in certain parts. Hopefully it'll be ready by the opening day on Saturday.

Yeh saw some flurry of activity yesterday afternoon down there.

Good few people using the running track this afternnon. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭maik3n

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

Does anyone know is the creche still going ahead where the Tesco was supposed to go opposite the Arch Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

Parking at the front of Lidl has become very bad since Gourmet Food Parlour opened..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭joficeduns1

That'll tend to happen when a new business opens. The car park is never near full anyway.

We went to GFP on a whim on Saturday. Decent buzz in there but quite a poor vegetarian selection i.e. they can make a fish curry vegetarian, and the chef can make a mushroom pasta that's not on the menu. What we found most odd is that there is a designated "vegan" dessert, but no other outright vegan dishes?

What's the story with opening times for this track? I notice that GEM seem to have control over when the barriers are open or not.

Advertisement