Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I wonder how long low wage workers will bask in the warm glow of economic nationalism when every single thing made in China becomes 20% more expensive. Will they still cheer and clap when The Donald tries to blame that on Mexicans?

Probably, villains are always necessary in this game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Probably, villains are always necessary in this game

Yes, and what they don’t understand is the actual villan is the one they are cheering for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So apparently, its not just one recording that Cohen has that the FBI now have, but 12. And you can bet there are more.

It certainly has the feeling that Cohen is flipping, and that can only spell more trouble for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So, Trump wants to revoke the security clearances of former intelligence officials because they have not geneflected to their dear leader. Those officials have actually done the United States some service unlike Jared Kushner who for some baffling reason still has some kind of security clearance even though he has no qualifications to hold any security clearance. His only qualification appears to be that he's the President's son in law which isn't a valid reason IMO.

Using that reasoning why on earth should Obama have been allowed to appoint Ben Rhodes? The man's only qualification up until then was in creative writing, literally that was what he majored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Townton wrote: »
    Using that reasoning why on earth should Obama have been allowed to appoint Ben Rhodes? The man's only qualification up until then was in creative writing, literally that was what he majored in.

I think you're missing the point the previous poster is making.
    His argument is the withdrawal of clearance whereas yours seems to be about under qualified people getting clearance?

As for Trump's idea, it really doesn't seem like a good idea that when you deny demanding loyalty from Comey before firing him, to then go on and try punish the intel community for not being loyal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Townton wrote: »

Rhodes was working in politics for years at that stage, he was involved with the compilation of the 911 commission and the Iraq Study Group Report. So that's considerable political experience. So it's substantially different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I wonder how long low wage workers will bask in the warm glow of economic nationalism when every single thing made in China becomes 20% more expensive.
    Will they still cheer and clap when The Donald tries to blame that on Mexicans?

Economic nationalism (ie tarrifs) are hit and miss. Some sectors gain, some don’t.

And if Chinese goods are too expensive then companies may build in the US. Plenty of counties use this kind of economic protectionism including the EU. Or use it to protect industry or agriculture.

In fact there’s a guy in prison in Ireland for importing garlic as apples, or onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So apparently, its not just one recording that Cohen has that the FBI now have, but 12. And you can bet there are more.

It certainly has the feeling that Cohen is flipping, and that can only spell more trouble for Trump.

These are recordings with trump? Is that admissible?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

These are recordings with trump? Is that admissible?

They are admissible as Trump has waived his attorney Client privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The indications were that, this recording is the most revelent. Nothing much in the others except arranging meeting times etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Water John wrote: »
    The indications were that, this recording is the most revelent. Nothing much in the others except arranging meeting times etc.

Yes, the point is that clearly the FBI have a huge amount of stuff relating to Trump and Cohen. That Cohen kept these recordings indicates that he was wary of covering his back, for a time such as this when he might be in trouble.

So Trump is now faced with the possibility that if anything untoward was undertaken and they discussed it, that Cohen has record of it. And probably the documentation. Can we rule out contemporaneous notes?

Does Trump take the risk or does he look to pardon Cohen? But he hasn't been charged with anything, never mind convicted. My understanding is that a pardon only works after a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Economic nationalism (ie tarrifs) are hit and miss. Some sectors gain, some don’t.

And if Chinese goods are too expensive then companies may build in the US. Plenty of counties use this kind of economic protectionism including the EU. Or use it to protect industry or agriculture.

In fact there’s a guy in prison in Ireland for importing garlic as apples, or onions.

How will that make these goods cheaper ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes, the point is that clearly the FBI have a huge amount of stuff relating to Trump and Cohen. That Cohen kept these recordings indicates that he was wary of covering his back, for a time such as this when he might be in trouble.

So Trump is now faced with the possibility that if anything untoward was undertaken and they discussed it, that Cohen has record of it. And probably the documentation. Can we rule out contemporaneous notes?

Does Trump take the risk or does he look to pardon Cohen? But he hasn't been charged with anything, never mind convicted. My understanding is that a pardon only works after a conviction.

And we don't know who it is that has been given immunity from prosecution already. Could be that Muller has already effectively "pardoned" Cohen, so Trump can't do it in order to try and get him to keep his mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

weisses wrote: »
    They will be built in the US and not subject to tarrifs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

robinph wrote: »
    And we don't know who it is that has been given immunity from prosecution already. Could be that Muller has already effectively "pardoned" Cohen, so Trump can't do it in order to try and get him to keep his mouth shut.

Also, the flip side of a pardon means you can't plead the fifth on something that you might have reasonably claimed before would have amounted to self-incrimination. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a pardoned Cohen could still be compelled to provide a full, truthful account of his dealings with Trump or risk prosecution for contempt of court or, worse still, perjury.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ELM327 wrote: »

That won't nearly be enough to offset the higher costs of American labour.

Trade wars aren't strategic, they're economic idiocy. It's a lazy way of copping out to his support base without putting any real effort in.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That won't nearly be enough to offset the higher costs of American labour.

Trade wars aren't strategic, they're economic idiocy. It's a lazy way of copping out to his support base without putting any real effort in.

Oh. Ok.Great.

My post was a straight one line answer to a straight one line question.
    No need for the rhetoric.

As an aside, I don't support the trade wars. I live in a country that experienced the impact they have. (the UK vs Ireland trade wars in the 30's). However, as a populist, Trump is playing to his voter base and I can see why.

ELM327 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

He is also doing it too early - the fallout is already hitting the states which elected him, since the EU, Canada etc are targeting them with tariffs. Voters will be very unhappy with his trade wars by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

That businessman was jailed for 6 years in March 2012 - was later released in March 2013 as the sentence was reduced to 2 years and he was allowed early release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think the idea is for it to boost the local economy .I doubt goods can be made cheaper although perhaps they can in some cases if the manufacturing methods evolve.

That "idea" may not be why the tariffs were introduced though. I feel they have been introduced for political (and personal) gain.

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    I doubt goods can be made cheaper

Of course they can't - if they could, they would compete without tariffs.

Trump's tariffs are simply a tax on US consumers who will pay higher prices, and the retaliatory tariffs will hit US businesses in Trump country. Neither of these will make Trump voters happy when they sink in.

Of course they can't - if they could, they would compete without tariffs.

Trump's tariffs are simply a tax on US consumers who will pay higher prices, and the retaliatory tariffs will hit US businesses in Trump country. Neither of these will make Trump voters happy when they sink in.
    What if (supposing it has the intended effect) they increase coal and steel worker job numbers?

That's a group of people that voted Trump en masse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He is also doing it too early - the fallout is already hitting the states which elected him, since the EU, Canada etc are targeting them with tariffs. Voters will be very unhappy with his trade wars by 2020.

It is but they'll just blame the EU as being hostile while ignoring actual hostile entities. America First, MAGA and all that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 37,533 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think he cares about the EU all that much.

I'm actually watching this Brexit stuff because it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he offered the UK a free trade agreement. He could make it a three way and bring Canada back into the fold too.

We'd actually be left in a very bad spot if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

eagle eye wrote: »

I'm actually watching this Brexit stuff because it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he offered the UK a free trade agreement. He could make it a three way and bring Canada back into the fold too.

We'd actually be e left in a very bad spot if that happened.

He doesn't have to care about the EU, he has to care about the voters in the US who are going to be affected by the EU's very targetted tariffs. Already evidence is emerging of the impacts of the various retalitory tariffs, including collapses in pork prices and huge build ups of American agricultural products.

Offers the UK a trade deal? These aren't pardons, he can't just dish them out at will. In addition Canada and the European Union's free trade agreement is already in provisionally in place.

The European Union even minus Britian will still be one of the worlds richest and largest trade blocs. That so many people, particularly Trump acolytes seem to regard it as some kind of feeble beggar state is very telling.

Why exactly? The US would hold the cards in these negotiations, especially regarding the UK as they're much more dependent on trade deals due to Brexit.

H. H. Asquith

It is but they'll just blame the EU as being hostile while ignoring actual hostile entities. America First, MAGA and all that.

Voters in the UK are trained to blame the EU for stuff.

Voters in the US are far less conscious of a world outside the US, they certainly won't blame the Germans or whoever no matter what Trump says.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That is actually fantasy land, Utter Fantasy land.

There is nothing to give any indication of a 'three way deal on trade between canada the UK and the US'

Of course the US will come looking for trade deals post Brexit with the UK but they will solely be on US terms.

If you are popping out nonsense of 3 way inclusive deals then you dont have a notion of how trade deals work for 1 or the way trump has operated for the last year for 2.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would Britain turn down a free trade agreement with USA if it meant higher tariffs with EU?

At the moment are they looking to have their cake and eat it but when push comes to shove will geographical neighbourhood count more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That's never going to happen. If Britain crash out of the EU, which is looking more and more likely, America is going to completely ride the UK when it comes to any trade deal because they'll have the upper hand and the UK will be desperate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement