Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need to talk...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pter wrote: »
    It's not a mod action, it's an admin one if it were possible and it's not a runner I am afraid.

h$$p://changeofplangames.com/wwforum/showthread.php?tid=613&pid=35585#pid35585

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's not a mod action, it's an admin one if it were possible and it's not a runner I am afraid.
    sKeith wrote: »
    I've asked before and was told it's a small bit of work, but not too much. Request access removed from WW Forum. If there's a list, add my name to it.

Ah well, was just an idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

@sk I know I know but in fairness that was my worst outing and I've been much better in terms of not posting in the wrong account.

Might wanna break that link btw. Taking your advice and gonna start doing that myself too!

sKeith wrote:
    I've asked before and was told it's a small bit of work, but not too much. Request access removed from WW Forum. If there's a list, add my name to it.

I was referring to the no edit thing. We could probably do the remove access one game by game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The accidental posting under wrong account can be easily avoided imo. Just dont follow the game thread on you boards account.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    The accidental posting under wrong account can be easily avoided imo. Just dont follow the game thread on you boards account.

Most of the rule breaking incidents can be avoided. I’m just testing to see what level of live and let live there is in this community.

People being tired, tipsy or just having brain farts is as human as it gets. Expecting the same standard of rule application by everybody is rigidly naieve and to be honest takes a bit of the fun out of a game.

I feel there is a difference between genuine mistakes and actions intended to assist in a victory. Maybe some people feel they both result in the same outcome but that will have a massive impact on the sort of community that’s being harnessed.

Edit: I’m reading a philosophical book so in a bit of a ponderous mood.... It will pass.

Drumpot wrote:
    Edit: I’m reading a philosophical book so in a bit of a ponderous mood.... It will pass.

Get off the Jack's drummer

Get off the Jack's drummer

This is how I imagine myself

twain.jpg

How I look

pulpfiction-travoltaontoilet.jpg

Actually when I get into this sort of headspace my wife gives me the same empty look I give her when I am playing WW.

The - “I’m not paying attention to a word you are saying and hope you don’t notice so I don’t actually have to give whatever you are saying some thought” stare...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Drumpot wrote: »
    Actually when I get into this sort of headspace my wife gives me the same empty look I give her when I am playing WW.

The - “I’m not paying attention to a word you are saying and hope you don’t notice so I don’t actually have to give whatever you are saying some thought” stare...
    I do that when he's talking about football or politics. Which is often. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Have removed ww forum access for this account and skeiths as per the request in this thread. Anyone else wants their normal account access removed for the duration of the game let me know please.

I can still see and, I presume, post, due to being a mod. Should be restricting you though sk!

I'll have to keep my wits about me and do the browser shuffle for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sully and I have been discussing this topic and it was something I was going to post about once the meta discussion had run its course a bit. I'll be updating the charter to reflect the below, but you can take this as a mod update from both of us.

Mod note

From this point onwards, personal abuse of any other posters will be taken very seriously and will result in the poster(s) at fault receiving an infraction and potentially a thread/forum ban. Regardless of whether they are playing in an active game.

Consistent provocation to obtain a reaction and instigate mod action will also be monitored and punished.

End mod note.

I've a small q to ask on this, need to share a pm from Sully, not sure on the rules there so I'm posting this first.

Its game implications of players receiving infractions in the thread.

Without being privy to the pm I think you should consult with her or wait for her to post permission.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I've a small q to ask on this, need to share a pm from Sully, not sure on the rules there so I'm posting this first.

Its game implications of players receiving infractions in the thread.

Send me a message- I don’t know what you want to share!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

Have received a PM from digi. In the sake of openness the discussion was regarding a PM exchange that I had with him during the game he modded. A player received an infraction and I said something along the lines of “by right it should be a thread ban”. Digi was querying why it was the case in WW but not in other fora.

I will speak with co-mods to come up with a plan, but my thinking on it at the time was that a yellow card is a warning, a hand slap of sorts. A bending of the rules, as such. However a red signifies a major breakage, and in order to stop these outbursts/breakages, a zero tolerance approach should be taken. Not a full out ban, but if it is a continuous thing it would be considered.

However, I have not cleared this with co-mods so we will discuss and revert back.

Feel free to ask q’s if you need anything clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

WW is a game about pushing people till you get a reaction. You're going to get situations that in other parts of boards would warrant very strong responses but should not really be viewed outside their game context here.

I'd recommend you always play with the Anon accounts and, if desired, post a list of account assignments in a non Anon game so the mods and players are insulated from potential fallout of a major meltdown.

In terms of sanctions, in my view, if it's a charter violation then it has nothing to do with the game mod. If it's a game rule violation it's up to the game mod to determine severity and sanction. Forum mods would only come into it if assistance is required in enforcing a game sanction (eg thread ban) that a player resists. And it's up to individual mods of subsequent games how or whether they consider any prior game infractions when admitting players to their games.

What happens in the village should stay in the village, otherwise it's not a game anymore.

Banjo wrote: »
    WW is a game about pushing people till you get a reaction. You're going to get situations that in other parts of boards would warrant very strong responses but should not really be viewed outside their game context here.

I'd recommend you always play with the Anon accounts and, if desired, post a list of account assignments in a non Anon game so the mods and players are insulated from potential fallout of a major meltdown.

In terms of sanctions, in my view, if it's a charter violation then it has nothing to do with the game mod. If it's a game rule violation it's up to the game mod to determine severity and sanction. Forum mods would only come into it if assistance is required in enforcing a game sanction (eg thread ban) that a player resists. And it's up to individual mods of subsequent games how or whether they consider any prior game infractions when admitting players to their games.

What happens in the village should stay in the village, otherwise it's not a game anymore.

The issue was that it was a forum charter break - not a game break. There will always be outbursts; it’s the nature of the game.

- “It’s my ball and I’m going home”: outburst okay
    - “it’s my ball, I’m going home and you’re a dickhead”: outburst not okay.

Forum rules > game rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

sullivlo wrote: »
    The issue was that it was a forum charter break - not a game break. There will always be outbursts; it’s the nature of the game.

how about if you put an if clause in there?

- "If you think hitler was right to kill all those jews, then you're a dickhead!!"

sullivlo wrote: »

Doesnt that depend on whether or not the target *is* being a dickhead? In a fast moving game where how, when and if you react are part of how it's played and how your loyalties are assessed, there needs to be headroom.
    I would see that as a situation where the insulation of Anon accounts affords the game mod space to have the first say on the merits of the game and the players' behaviour therein. But I don't play any more so I'm almost arguing for the sake of it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Doesnt that depend on whether or not the target *is* being a dickhead? .

No

Then you have a problem, the game is fundamentally incompatible with the site rules. It's far easier to act the prick and get a reaction that gets your target pushed out of the game than it is to endure such prick acting and shape a description of the behaviour in such a way that the prick gets kicked. The victim in that situation would need to rely on game mods to step in, and make a decision independent of the effect on the balance of the game. That adds additional weight to an already valid strategy.

Can't see a solution other than "don't act the prick" and sure if you could rely on people to do that there wouldn't be a need for the rule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It seems to be going ok with a few minor exceptions.

Then you have a problem, the game is fundamentally incompatible with the site rules. It's far easier to act the prick and get a reaction that gets your target pushed out of the game than it is to endure such prick acting and shape a description of the behaviour in such a way that the prick gets kicked. The victim in that situation would need to rely on game mods to step in, and make a decision independent of the effect on the balance of the game. That adds additional weight to an already valid strategy.

Can't see a solution other than "don't act the prick" and sure if you could rely on people to do that there wouldn't be a need for the rule.

How about a Gif to help give the offender a subtle nudge?

6QX8U7Q.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

But I don't play any more so I'm almost arguing for the sake of it at this stage.

But we haven't run the Ninty themed game yet!

Still waiting on the 3rd save in the Pokemon game, so my expectations are low :)

I dunno if it’s just me thinking this but I think everyone needs to lighten up.

It’s only a game, a bit of fun. Personally, werewolf make me laugh when the rest of my day is just monotonous and often soul destroying.

Stop sucking the life out of it!

I dunno if it’s just me thinking this but I think everyone needs to lighten up.

It’s only a game, a bit of fun. Personally, werewolf make me laugh when the rest of my day is just monotonous and often soul destroying.

Stop sucking the life out of it!

Mods - can we put this as rule number 1 in the charter? Special emphasis on 'sucking the life out of it'

:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I like cake. And also, this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Necrominus wrote: »
    I like cake. And also, this :P

Get on with your holiday Necro! Caio!!! :D

Advertisement