Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need to talk...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

sKeith wrote: »
    I have been of the persuasion that it is not breaking the rules to re-reg and not declare.

FYI: As you didn't notice, somebody re-reged last game and joined the non-anon game, something that you will see in the quoted posts is said to be derailing and against the premise of a non-anon game.(i don't believe it is, but was interested in why when one person does it, we get a whole hate thread set up, and when another does it, its like, oh wow, i didn't know that was you)

This about me??

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

This about me??

Catch up Murray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sullivlo wrote: »
    Can you clarify that part digi?

As game mod ofc

Pter wrote: »
    Catch up Murray :)

You try pressing buttons when you have no hands or fingers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Pffft!!! You still have teeth, and a jaw, and a forehead, don't you? No excuse!!

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Pffft!!! You still have teeth, and a jaw, and a forehead, don't you? No excuse!!

Its difficult to keep ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m still not completely clear on this, particularly what is going to be a mod kill action or yellow card in game.

Should we just get rid of “another village” reference and flat out say “I’ve seen villagers , villages or wolves do xxxxx in the past” .... for the benefit of newer players? As I said , I’ve never played this game outside of boards so I’m learning everything from you guys. If anything would this not help new players that haven’t seen a certain tactic used? Also, fairly quickly In games the themes can be forgotten and it’s about finding roles so does it really take away from the strategizing?

The killing players for previous games is an interesting one. Day 0 do wolves really have a good read on players? If you know certain players are at least not wolves then they are a threat how do you make a call on day 0? Should first munch be a “pick a number” from mods to make the kill random?

Didn’t a newb get killed in the first munch in one game? That was harsh! I like the sub idea whereby the first person killed can get a reprieve. The wolves can still
    Kill a rolled goody and surely the mods can come up with some game dynamic to reward the wolves if needed?

With regards to “mass reveal” is there a rule on this? I have not seen it happen but I would of thought that maybe something like a 3 day rule whereby this can’t be done before this term. In the last game I made a suggestion in game (think it was day 3) of all remaining rolled players to come out. I thought cause of the amount of players that technically day 3 was like day 5 in a bigger game.

One player said they felt it was prob a bit against the spirit of the game. I didn’t mind them saying it, it’s just I thought my suggestion was fair considering the amount of players (think there was 12 left at the time). So what’s the sort of non dickish rule with that?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Didn’t a newb get killed in the first munch in one game? That was harsh! I like the sub idea whereby the first person killed can get a reprieve. The wolves can still
    Kill a rolled goody and surely the mods can come up with some game dynamic to reward the wolves if needed?

I was a wolf that game, and yes, it was harsh, but it wasn't meta. In fact it would have been meta to *not* kill them purely based on them being a newbie when we thought (rightly as it turned out, though it might not necessarily have turned out that way) that they had a role.

But a second chance for the same player in a different role might not be such a bad idea, but that would be up to each Game Mod to decide.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote:
    But a second chance for the same player in a different role might not be such a bad idea, but that would be up to each Game Mod to decide.

People were so disappointed I only killed off Donald Duck and Goofy (NPCs) on night 0 in the Disney game.

No thought at all spared for the beloved Disney characters... you Monsters! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jesus, some amount of posts since I last checked into this thread :) I'm at a stage where I'm almost beginning to think we should just play every game anon, stops the bull**** but takes away from the community somewhat.

As for the personal abuse thing, if there is an issue then the report post function should be used or at the very least a game mod notified to address it on thread or in private if needs be. If you don't report it or at least request it to be stopped then someone doesn't know if they've gone too far.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    As for the personal abuse thing, if there is an issue then the report post function should be used or at the very least a game mod notified to address it on thread or in private if needs be. If you don't report it or at least request it to be stopped then someone doesn't know if they've gone too far.

Agree. This was a failure of mine previously, in that I sat quietly stewing over incidents instead of actually reporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I’m still not completely clear on this, particularly what is going to be a mod kill action or yellow card in game.

Should we just get rid of “another village” reference and flat out say “I’ve seen villagers , villages or wolves do xxxxx in the past” .... for the benefit of newer players? As I said , I’ve never played this game outside of boards so I’m learning everything from you guys. If anything would this not help new players that haven’t seen a certain tactic used? Also, fairly quickly In games the themes can be forgotten and it’s about finding roles so does it really take away from the strategizing?

The killing players for previous games is an interesting one. Day 0 do wolves really have a good read on players? If you know certain players are at least not wolves then they are a threat how do you make a call on day 0? Should first munch be a “pick a number” from mods to make the kill random?

With regards to “mass reveal” is there a rule on this? I have not seen it happen but I would of thought that maybe something like a 3 day rule whereby this can’t be done before this term. In the last game I made a suggestion in game (think it was day 3) of all remaining rolled players to come out. I thought cause of the amount of players that technically day 3 was like day 5 in a bigger game.

One player said they felt it was prob a bit against the spirit of the game. I didn’t mind them saying it, it’s just I thought my suggestion was fair considering the amount of players (think there was 12 left at the time). So what’s the sort of non dickish rule with that?

>Should we just get rid of “another village” reference.
    If it's allowed, you shouldn't need subtifuge to get your point accross. In a dream, in another village etc, is the sneakey way of saying, in back to the future game, fred was a wolf who tried to blag his way in as a seer, maybe something along those lines is happeing again.

>for the benefit of newer players?
    exactly, letting it continue if its not on, is teaching new players that this rule doesnt matter, or confuses them to what metagaming really is.

> Didn’t a newb get killed in the first munch in one game?
    yes, rolehunting.

> That was harsh!
    it was, but lesson can be learnt and next game you play differently.

> With regards to “mass reveal”
    game mods should build a game that cant be broken by mass reveal.
    Everybody should know the exact wording of the nrv pm, put it in the op.
    if mass reveal happens, the roles are all out and the wolves and sk hide in a big bunch of nrv's, the roles get picked off, and wolves should win whats left more times than not. so disadvantage village for mass reveal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

duffman13 wrote:

That's a bit unfair, I think players also need to have personal responsibilty and not take 'banter' too far. Pawning it off and saying 'oh you should report this' is enabling personal abuse tbh.

Calling someone a wolf or that you don't trust their methods? Fair game.

Bringing personal info into it in the name of banter? That's bull and people need to cop on.

Necrominus wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair, I think players also need to have personal responsibilty and not take 'banter' too far. Pawning it off and saying 'oh you should report this' is enabling personal abuse tbh.

Bringing personal info into it in the name of banter? That's bull and people need to cop on.

True too. The onus shouldn't be wholly on the complainant. The "don't be a dick" and Boards' own rules *should* cover abuse. But it's not always easy to know where that line between banter and abuse will be. Some posters may feel it's crossed sooner than others may. So, if somebody does feel it's crossed, and protests on thread aren't being heard, then it should be reported.

quickbeam wrote:
    True too. The onus shouldn't be wholly on the complainant. The "don't be a dick" and Boards' own rules *should* cover abuse. But it's not always easy to know where that line between banter and abuse will be. Some posters may feel it's crossed sooner than others may. So, if somebody does feel it's crossed, and protests on thread aren't being heard, then it should be reported.

Yeah, you see the thing to me is there's an obvious line.

Joke around about someone playing 24/7, jokingly campaign to have them lynched, disagree with their plans - all absolutely fair game.

Mentioning anything to do with personal life outside of the game - not at all fair game.

I wasn't, I really wasn't going to come back to this but people need to understand it's very difficult to report a post to the mods that 6 or 7 people thank and find funny, it makes you look like a terrible killjoy.

I'm not a snowflake, I've a thick skin and I'm well able for the laugh, but there are certain things that just do not need to be brought up.

To be quite honest people putting the blame back on, well me in this case need to seriously think about what they would do if it was them the 'hilarious banter' was directed at.
    Meltdowns have happened over much less.

At the same time I was completely over the line in my reaction and accepted my infraction because I deserved it, but this isn't the place to discuss individual punishments and that's all I'm saying on the issue.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you to an extent but I've often pushed the boat to try get a reaction, I went to far once and got a reaction which i apologised for, think it was the Ted game but if the poster in question didn't let me know id probably not have known to wind my neck in.

I do think in previous games the easiest solution would be to:

A) use the report function
    B) Alert the game mods
    C) ask the poster on thread to drop the personal stuff.

Any of those three things sort the problem. Preferably going from C to A. I dont think there is malice in anything posted in the games ive played therefore if you or anyone else feel they are being attacked personally well then sort it out in any of the ways above and nip in the bud as soon as it becomes offensive to you.

Yeah, you see the thing to me is there's an obvious line.

Joke around about someone playing 24/7, jokingly campaign to have them lynched, disagree with their plans - all absolutely fair game.

Mentioning anything to do with personal life outside of the game - not at all fair game.

I wasn't, I really wasn't going to come back to this but people need to understand it's very difficult to report a post to the mods that 6 or 7 people thank and find funny, it makes you look like a terrible killjoy.

I'm not a snowflake, I've a thick skin and I'm well able for the laugh, but there are certain things that just do not need to be brought up.

To be quite honest people putting the blame back on, well me in this case need to seriously think about what they would do if it was them the 'hilarious banter' was directed at.
    Meltdowns have happened over much less.

At the same time I was completely over the line in my reaction and accepted my infraction because I deserved it, but this isn't the place to discuss individual punishments and that's all I'm saying on the issue.

I completely get that it's difficult to report a post. I said so above, that it was a failure of mine to do so in the past.

In the recent situation I don't blame you. I can't speak for everyone, but I can't imagine most people blame you either. You had made it clear you weren't enjoying that particular "banter" yet it continued. Somebody else *may* not have minded, but that doesn't make them right and you wrong. It just means people have different lines. The one doling out the banter *should* regulate themselves when it's clearly not being taken up well.

I know in my situation (far less recently than yours) I felt lines had been crossed that *some* others disagreed with me on, though I know others did agree with me on. It just goes to show that we all take things up differently is all. But being here, playing the game *should* be fun more than anything, and if somebody's posting makes it not fun, then they should stop of their own free-will or by being directed so by a mod after their posts have been reported.

So, tldr version:
    (1) banter away while not deliberately being a dick or breaking Boards rules
    (2) if the person obviously doesn't like the banter then lay off
    (3) if the person doing the bantering doesn't lay off then report the to the mods

Sorry Necro, just seen your follow up post to the one I quoted. It's not a killjoy to report something you find offensive. Throughout the thread I got no indication you were offended by what had been posted till the point were you said you were pissed. It's a small tight knit community so if that's how you feel say it like that, no one takes that as a killjoy and it stops you getting worked up.

I say all of this as someone who's had to replace a laptop because of this game so I'm not infallible nor is anyone else to letting the game get to them :)

Sorry i may have missed that. Replaced a laptop?

This made me think of

mrmO7.gif

By the way all, predator is on rte2... F*ckin deadly.... and two future American governors to boot!

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote:
    By the way all, predator is on rte2... F*ckin deadly.... and two future American governors to boot!

I wish aul prawn face would hop over to rte and take care of jedward there.

During the back to the future game I bounced my laptop off the ground, pure accident! Absolutely nothing to do with the game :) I know just stick to playing on the phone

duffman13 wrote:
    During the back to the future game I bounced my laptop off the ground, pure accident! Absolutely nothing to do with the game I know just stick to playing on the phone

Probably an almanac power BJ didn't tell us about.

Can we add in the much talked about but non existant, 'dont be a dick' rule.

this is a summary for overwatch game.

no editing
    metagaming frowned upon
    dont take abuse personally
    dont dead post
    don't cheat
    be active, contribute
    don't post exact content of pms (post the NRV post in OP will cure this) [human being]
    you are obliged to vote (you cannot get anyone to proxy vote for you)

As it stands as of writing this post.

forum charter rules.
    Game rules
    The OP of each game will outline the general rules of the game being played, however the following rules apply to all games:
    1) There is to be absolutely no editing of posts. There will be a zero tolerance approach.
    2) Metagaming is very much frowned upon.
    3) Things can get heated - you may be called a liar or untrustworthy, deceitful etc etc and that is part of the game. If at any stage you feel a personal attack outside of the remit of the game has occurred, report the post for the attention of the forum moderators who will respond as appropriate.

If there are any questions, feel free to PM one of the moderators.

overwatch game Rules:

1) 1) If you are dead, do not post in the thread.
    2) Don’t cheat, it’s a game that relies heavily on the players having integrity. No PMing other players in the game, and no chat about the game outside of this game thread.
    3) Please all try to reasonably contribute to the game thread and always remember to get a vote in as a minimum. Try to have a minimum of 5 posts per day.
    4) No posting of any PM's from the game mod or referring to the content of them.
    5) If you've got any questions for us send the mods a message. Game MODS: Digital Solitude; Raze_them_all; partyjungle
    6) Win conditions are listed below.
    7) Don’t be a sensitive soul. While boards own forum rules clearly take precedence over any in-game rules that I have, this is a game where people will be insulted, there will be some bad language and people will try to provoke a reaction out of each other. Please accept this is part of the game and don’t go annoying the mods with the report post button unless really needed.
    8) There is no rule 8.
    9) If someone misses 2 votes in a row without a good reason they will be modkilled and, where possible, replaced with a substitute.
    10) DO NOT EVER EDIT A POST. IF YOU HIT THE POST REPLY BUTTON THEN LIVE WITH IT. YELLOW CARDS AND RED CARDS WILL BE HANDED OUT TO PLAYERS WHO EDIT POSTS.
    11) Do not share your vote form password to anyone else. All votes for the lynch have to be made by yourself.
    12) Have fun, make meme’s, take the piss and try to enjoy the game.
    13) The votes will be published when we announce the Lynch. They will be posted in order of who received the most votes and then in chronological order but with no timestamps.
    14) People are free to post in the thread until the lynch and slaughter are announced. You are not dead until I make a post in the game thread announcing it.
    15) In the event of a tie in lynch votes, the last vote cast before a certain time to be decided by the mods will be the decider.
    16) Lynches will take place at 9pm, munches at 10am, and SK kills at 9pm also. First scheduled action will be a wolf munch on Monday 10am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't be a dick is a site rule*. It doesn't need to be in every forum charter as site rules take precedence.

*and probably the only rule most posters need to worry about.

Is it possible for to turn off edit option in sub forum and/or turn off non anon accounts access during a non anon game?

If it’s a lot of work then fair enough, but it’s very easy to have a brain fart and do either, especially on your phone.

I ninja edit my posts quite regularly in other forums, mostly for word spelling or grammar and I’ve found myself nearly doing it here by accident.

I’m not sure if posting with your own username is that big a Deal to be honest cause the only person that really affects is the person posting.

Is it possible for to turn off edit option in sub forum and/or turn off non anon accounts access during a non anon game?

If it’s a lot of work then fair enough, but it’s very easy to have a brain fart and do either, especially on your phone.

I ninja edit my posts quite regularly in other forums, mostly for word spelling or grammar and I’ve found myself nearly doing it here by accident.

I’m not sure if posting with your own username is that big a Deal to be honest cause the only person that really affects is the person posting.

If gertie had pretended to post like drumpot for 2 days, and then the drumpot account posted gertie is full of crap, it'd effect more than the drumpot account, it would have screwed gertie.

sKeith wrote: »
    If gertie had pretended to post like drumpot for 2 days, and then the drumpot account posted gertie is full of crap, it'd effect more than the drumpot account, it would have screwed gertie.

True.

I suppose my point is that mistakes are made innocently and while every player is responsible for their actions if steps can be taken to minimize the risk of a mistake should it not be consideered?

Again, as an example, in the 5 aside I play they took slide tackles out of the game. Very simple , players simply can’t slide tackle so nobody has to worry about it or getting injured. It’s not an issue on any level.

Unless Somebody corrects me, it seems like The editing post or accidentally posting with wrong account can be made a non issue by restricting access or functions in the game forum. Perhaps there would be too much work for mods to apply it, in which case fair enough, but if not I don’t see why it wouldn’t be worth trying.

Drumpot wrote:
    Unless Somebody corrects me, it seems like The editing post or accidentally posting with wrong account can be made a non issue by restricting access or functions in the game forum. Perhaps there would be too much work for mods to apply it, in which case fair enough, but if not I don’t see why it wouldn’t be worth trying.

It's not a mod action, it's an admin one if it were possible and it's not a runner I am afraid.

• Advertisement

True.

I suppose my point is that mistakes are made innocently and while every player is responsible for their actions if steps can be taken to minimize the risk of a mistake should it not be consideered?

Again, as an example, in the 5 aside I play they took slide tackles out of the game. Very simple , players simply can’t slide tackle so nobody has to worry about it or getting injured. It’s not an issue on any level.

I've asked before and was told it's a small bit of work, but not too much. Request access removed from WW Forum. If there's a list, add my name to it.

Advertisement