Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭sparky42

Seeing as you seem to know about it already I think you dont need reminding. Are you saying our defence forces arnt up to the job?

I'm saying that people got on to the base and damaged the runway just for whatever the feck was their issue then, so at the very least I'd expect a large increase of base security (which raises the issue about cross using a civilian airport).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

20-30 F35s for the Irish Air Force (IAF).

The Irish Air Corps could become the Army Air Corps, with the same functions as the UK Air Corps.

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Around about 20 F35s for a new branch of the Irish Armed Forces, named the Irish Air Force.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to run what we have in terms of fuel? Then there is issues with maintenance, training, problems with maintaining and retaining existing technicians? These F-35 avionics dont grow on trees. They cost a lot to train and maintain their training and certification. Its not like our Fixed Winged (with the CASA's excluded) get a lot of air time and return for the tax payer. I do understand they are a vital part of Air Corps cadet training program.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Around about 20 F35s for a new branch of the Armed Forces, named the Air Force.

The Air Corps would become a corps of the Army, providing the airborne resources for the soldiers similar to the British Army Air Corps, consisting of helicopters.

The air corps is already a separate branch of the defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

We should follow trump and have a space force as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Troll feeding.

The air corps is already a separate branch of the defence forces.

Didnt you know since last March we are part of the European Army. The European Army have a common defence procurement policy and centralised HQ in Brussels since last March? The Common Defence procurement has been around for years. The Western European Union has been on many missions, a European version of NATO. The next thing will be standard uniforms and a standard rifle probably from either H&K or FN in the next 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

20-30 F35s for the Irish Air Force (IAF).

The Irish Air Corps could become the Army Air Corps, with the same functions as the UK Air Corps.

UK AAC fly's Apaches & Defenders & Gazelles & Lynx, it is not an Air Force, I don't understand how you expect an IAF to have the same function as the AAC. A single F35A costs $89.2M, the B model is US$115.5M, you have no idea what you are on about.

In reality the best we should be aiming for is F16's, Id argue for the F16, its small, lightweight, combat proven & a multirole aircraft. Not that long ago the Dutch sold 15 their F16 fleet to Jordan for €76Million, that's a more achievable budget.

Norway, with a smaller population than Ireland, have Jaysus F35s.

Ah no they don’t. At 5.3 million compared to our 4.6ish million. Added to that the nations are significantly different.

Norway, with a smaller population than Ireland, have Jaysus F35s.

Is that the same Norway with a booming offshore oil industry? Its own state oil company? with access to cheap fuel?

We are buying all our fuel from Shell for the DF? Just wanted to sort of put that in perspective? ..... and the Providence fields have come up dry? Problems with deep under sea drilling in the Gulf of Mexico? You see how that dream could be a little far off?

• Advertisement

Is that the same Norway with a booming offshore oil industry? Its own state oil company? with access to cheap fuel?

We are buying all our fuel from Shell for the DF? Just wanted to sort of put that in perspective? ..... and the Providence fields have come up dry? Problems with deep under sea drilling in the Gulf of Mexico? You see how that dream could be a little far off?

And Russia as a neighbour?

I mean a united Ireland population.

In which case we’re not going to have the budget anyway dealing with NIs economic black hole.

I mean a united Ireland population.

Ah would you go away out of that. You’re like a Biggles meets Walter Mitty hybrid.

In terms of population, Switzerland is slightly larger than Ireland but are geographically smaller and have a considerable amount of F/A18s and are ordering F35s.

They have early model 18s and haven’t even voted on a new fighter yet. Also again we are not Switzerland.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Ah would you go away out of that. You’re like a Biggles meets Walter Mitty hybrid.

Best description really.

My point being, all these neutral countries, some with smaller populations and land area than Ireland, have F35s - for DEFENCE. Ireland would still be neutral.

Well first Norway isn’t neutral, it’s a NATO nation and is a wealthier and larger nation than us. Other than what is your point?

In terms of population, Switzerland is slightly larger than Ireland but are geographically smaller and have a considerable amount of F/A18s and are ordering F35s.

Is that the same Switzerland with the booming banking economy? Size and populations arent everything. Ireland is better equiped than all African countries of the same or slightly bigger size. It has to be proportional. Not just to size and economy and population but to perceived threats too. If you are living next to a "friendly" nation like the UK rather than Georgias proximity to Russia is going to effect to perspective.

My point is that should a threat arise we will need better defences than we currently have.

If a united Ireland comes about, threats posed by the likes of the UVF and UDA will mean that a bolstering of the military will be a necessity.

And your suggestion is to go from turbo props to a 5th gen fighter?

As for a unification situation, basically look back at the bailout fondly, if there's any funding for defence it would be the army getting it (as we aren't going to be bombing loyalist areas).

sparky42 wrote: »
    In which case we’re not going to have the budget anyway dealing with NIs economic black hole.

An annual investment of £26Bn into a £16Bn economy? Biggest industries are civil service, justice, film making and begging from Brussels/London or we are going back fighting? Best of luck with that

If air strikes are carried out on ISIS how come the same couldn't happen with the UVF?

National security is front and foremost of the Armed Forces.

Are you F*cking kidding? Like just trying to be beyond silly?

And the Gardai tend to have that role in Ireland as well.

• Advertisement

No, I'm being serious.

The Defence Forces have a part in dealing with threats to the security of the state along with the Gardaí.

We are not going to be bombing loyalist areas of NI. No more than the RAF bombed republican areas.

And escalating to the DF being deployed straight away is unlikely.

Are you F*cking kidding? Like just trying to be beyond silly?

And the Gardai tend to have that role in Ireland as well.

UDA/UVF are now degraded from terrorist to organised gangs. Their business is licensing and taxing hard working girls and independent pharmaceutical salesmen. That is their real business. The IRA kept the majority of their stock piles. Ya' arite there Slab?

Whilst going slightly off topic, the number of DF active staff needs to be increased to around 20,000 in order to be effective.

That is a matter for another thread.

And escalating to the DF being deployed straight away is unlikely.

That is a last case scenario. Any time you see the Defence Forces out and armed you know the civil power are out of their depth. Hostage takings, civil uprising, serious terrorism with suspects at large. I think the last time I saw anything of that description, was Dessie O'Hare and kidnapping that innocent dentist. Sick ****er chiseled off his fingers. He should never have been released under the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

If you are wondering what I think the Air Corps should do.

Buy 18 top fighter jets.

Upgrade facilities.

Employ the needed personell.

Then i'll take them seriously.

Until then we are reliant on the UK.

I think Kermit be hittin' that bong ... hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

REmind me how that worked when they got on to the airstrip of Baldonnel and damaged it a few years ago.

The damage was caused by lightning, my cuz'n was based there at the time and was involved in the investigation. It was a shame the media jumped to conclusions and didn't bother reporting the outcome.

I see that Piaggio aerospace has gone into administration due to dearth of orders from the Italian defence forces. That twin engined pusher prop plane they make would have come in handy for our guys. Beautiful aircraft and all!

I see that Piaggio aerospace has gone into administration due to dearth of orders from the Italian defence forces. That twin engined pusher prop plane they make would have come in handy for our guys. Beautiful aircraft and all!

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Counting seals :D

• Advertisement

Counting seals :D

Various semi military Italian agencies use the aircraft for duties such as coastguard / air ambulance / VIP transport etc. So it looks suiable for the same roles as the PC12NG is destined for. Worth googling it and having a look if you are interested in aviation. I've seen a few in the flesh and it sure is a stunning looking piece of kit!

Advertisement