Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

We could turn them into unmanned drones and charge the yanks to use them as target practice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭sparky42

We might still have a seafire tucked away somewhere.

I'd love if we did just for the history (makes me wish Defence was valued enough that we'd kept an operational "historical flight")

We could turn them into unmanned drones and charge the yanks to use them as target practice :D

Or the Belgian technicians...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sparky42 wrote: »
    I'd love if we did just for the history (makes me wish Defence was valued enough that we'd kept an operational "historical flight")

Yeah that would be nice. The Air Corp museum does have parts of though, including an engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I cant even imagine the number of mistakes they had to make for that to happen. Interview without coffee for that gentleman.

The Titanic didnt sink because it hit an iceberg, I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I see there have been some sightings of UFO's over the Kerry coastline. Fast jets needed to go in hot pursuit! I'm beginning to come around to the idea of leasing a squadron of Gripens. The PC9's just can't cut it with these boyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sure if Macron gets his way with a European army ;)
    And it is where Pesco is aiming.

We can just build the bases and rotate some EU fast jet detachments thru on a similar basis to Baltic air policing.
    Has the advantage of minimum outlay and with intraoperability would give our own pilots a route onto Fast jets.
    Would allow us to build capability at low cost and with a dedicated support environment.

The one thing that always comes to mind with Fast Jet operations for me, is the time to build capability.
    An air policing and pilot exchange programme would give us that, cheaply.

Thats a good idea as an interim measure. Could use Knock as a base. Just need to build some bomb proof shelters for the fast jets and install some AA missile defences and upgrade the radar.

Thats a good idea as an interim measure. Could use Knock as a base. Just need to build some bomb proof shelters for the fast jets and install some AA missile defences and upgrade the radar.

No, no we don't.

No, no we don't.

You need to remind yourself what the title and theme of this board is!

• Advertisement

You need to remind yourself what the title and theme of this board is!

Fantasy fighters?

If we even went to a rotating system (and convinced someone else to provide it (their response would most likely be spend more than feck all on defence first)), then all we'd need is some normal shelters for the planes and testing areas for weapons.

We wouldn't be talking about hardened shelters or missile defences, any radar upgrades would be the talked about Primary upgrades anyway.

I see there have been some sightings of UFO's over the Kerry coastline. Fast jets needed to go in hot pursuit! I'm beginning to come around to the idea of leasing a squadron of Gripens. The PC9's just can't cut it with these boyos.

Exactly! Nobody is going to provide free air cover unless we are prepared to put our hand in our pocket and buy some aircraft ourselves. If you are going to build shelters you might as well put in some extra rebar and build em quite robustly.

Why? Iceland has frig all and they get air cover.

Why? Iceland has frig all and they get air cover.

Member of NATO,instead we are going to be asking other EU nations to deploy aircraft to Ireland explicitly because we want air cover but can't be bothered funding the DF.

Or join NATO :p

Or join NATO :p

But then we have to deal with the Orange manchild screaming about how little we spend etc etc...

But then we have to deal with the Orange manchild screaming about how little we spend etc etc...

I wonder what Iceland spends?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They let the US base a squadron of F-15s there.

They let the US base a squadron of F-15s there.

Ohhh I dunno if we could have that. The French maybe? Arnt we all friendly with them now?

That's not what you should be wondering about, it should be how much does Trump (and others) already have issues with the Multinationals here in Ireland already. If we were in NATO there's ZERO chance we could avoid a massive increase in spending.

• Advertisement

That's not what you should be wondering about, it should be how much does Trump (and others) already have issues with the Multinationals here in Ireland already. If we were in NATO there's ZERO chance we could avoid a massive increase in spending.

But isn't that really what this tread is about? Everything in here would require a massive increase in spending!!!

But isn't that really what this tread is about? Everything in here would require a massive increase in spending!!!

Of course anything we do would mean more spending, like anything. My point is that trying to convince anyone to do a Baltic CAP type operation is going to go down like a Rat Sandwich (NATO or EU).

Of course anything we do would mean more spending, like anything. My point is that trying to convince anyone to do a Baltic CAP type operation is going to go down like a Rat Sandwich (NATO or EU).

Well like anything new or different in this country, you'll always have a shower of moaners for a while. Eventually they get sick of it and find something else to whinge about.

Exactly! Bring on the jets....8 off trainer type aircraft to get the guys in jet mode and a squadron of Gripens to follow a couple of years later.

Exactly! Bring on the jets....8 off trainer type aircraft to get the guys in jet mode and a squadron of Gripens to follow a couple of years later.

We already have 8 trainers ;)

Well like anything new or different in this country, you'll always have a shower of moaners for a while. Eventually they get sick of it and find something else to whinge about.

Given what the PANA types did to the USN plane how much protection do you think we'd have to give to any new planes? Besides as I said I wouldn't expect much support from anyone else unless we'd already started the process.

Given what the PANA types did to the USN plane how much protection do you think we'd have to give to any new planes? Besides as I said I wouldn't expect much support from anyone else unless we'd already started the process.

The same kind of protection you'd have to give to any military installation.

The same kind of protection you'd have to give to any military installation.

REmind me how that worked when they got on to the airstrip of Baldonnel and damaged it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

REmind me how that worked when they got on to the airstrip of Baldonnel and damaged it a few years ago.

well clearly that should never have happened but one would hope it is slightly more difficult to access a military installation than a civilian airport.

• Advertisement

Seeing as you seem to know about it already I think you dont need reminding. Are you saying our defence forces arnt up to the job?

Advertisement