Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Oprah go for it and beat Trump in the next US presidential election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

cantdecide wrote: »
    Old white racists "they just have to die".

Interesting quote for someone they say may be president.

[YOUTUBE.]tD7QfC0Xjwk[/YOUTUBE]

Screw it, I'll take the bait.
    I'm saying the problem's not solved. I'm saying that, you know, that's the beauty of a film like "The Butler," and it's the beauty of a film like "12 Years a Slave," and it's the beauty of what we're seeing on stage with "Scottsboro Boys" is that it allows people to see where the root of the problem started. It allows people to see, "Oh, that's where it all started, this is how far we've come, and now this is how much farther we need to go." Of course the problem is not solved. You know, as long as people can be judged by the colour of their skin, the problem's not solved. As long as there are people who still, there's a whole generation -- I say this, you know, I said this, you know, for apartheid South Africa, I said this for my own, you know, community in the south - there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die.
    The "problem not solved" she's referring to is racism. There's unrepentant ex-concentration camp guards in their 90s out there - is it that much of a leap to suggest there's some racists out there who'll never be reasoned with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    She is wasting her time if she runs. Trumps doing a brilliant job as President, economy soaring, jobs up, stock market up, starting to fix the absolute farce of a immigration system etc..

Its the economy stupid.

Stock market is "up". How exactly does that equate to a booming economy?

And how is that border wall coming along? Considering conservative estimates put the timeframe of construction at about 40 years and the cost about $150 billion don't you think your boy in the Oval Office ought to get cracking? He's only got 84 months left and that's if he's reelected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This shít needs to stop now before the sheep rule the roost. On the back of a populist speech at an awards ceremony Oprah is suddenly a presidential candidate. Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Trump will get another term after this. Democrats are so ****ing stupid trying to attack him that the don't realise that it didn't work the first time. Trump is setting the agenda.

Get a proper candidate. Warren etc have no chance, boring candidates. Gore and Kerry were the same as Hillary, they would put you to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Chrongen wrote: »
    Stock market is "up". How exactly does that equate to a booming economy?

And how is that border wall coming along? Considering conservative estimates put the timeframe of construction at about 40 years and the cost about $150 billion don't you think your boy in the Oval Office ought to get cracking? He's only got 84 months left and that's if he's reelected.

Economy is doing ok

If you only listen to the voices on this side of the Atlantic you would think America has developed into a basket case

It hasn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Aidric wrote: »
    This shít needs to stop now before the sheep rule the roost. On the back of a populist speech at an awards ceremony Oprah is suddenly a presidential candidate. Jesus Wept.

And Currently the 2nd favourite, 10notes and a long (inflation affected) wait would only return 90 in 2020, a slightly ludicrous expectation.

The other left trio of female career Senators in good contention for this position must be pulling their hair out at well meaning Oprah rise to politician stardom.

Oprah's role is best suited to it's current stretch as a 'social-worker type quasi chat show infomercial host adorned with vision boards', not in the nitty gritty details of steel dumping exports and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Oprah can stick to her Tv Shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

She Has No Chance .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

She's a billionaire media personality beloved by liberals the world over. She has every chance unfortunately.

Another symptom of how utterly deranged the U.S. has become as a nation.

Trump would beat her like a gong though. He'd have a field day with her admission of smoking crack cocaine.

That's just for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I hope she goes for it and does beat him. She would be a much better president and she is much more intelligent than Trump and I think would have more respect for the presidency and the American Constitution and all its amendments too. So yes go Oprah go for it. About time America has a Female leader.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Economy is doing ok

If you only listen to the voices on this side of the Atlantic you would think America has developed into a basket case

It hasn't

Correct, I know a few Irish people there and they are doing well and they say there is a lot of support for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 humpsterfire

its the dawn of identity politicians/politics, everyone splitting into their own stupid tribes (the baby step to national identity and world war 3 yay)

What boxes does she check/tribes does she belong to?

1) The blacks will vote
    2) the liberal goons will vote
    3) A large section of women will vote

Not bad! But

1) A large section of men wont vote
    2) Majority white wont vote
    3) Conservative nuts wont vote

She needs all the minority votes in America to win, but there aren't enough of them yet. Still a close call. Americas fate was sealed as soon as they started entertaining identity politics, something we should learn a lesson from (but wont)

Dividing your country into battling subgroups is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh !
    Maybe angelina jolie next?
    Then we may as well start a game show contest where all our favourite or least favourite celebs compete to be elected to rule the worlds most powerful government, economy and military

I for one hope that after Trumps reign americans go back to electing individuals fit for presidency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh !
    Maybe angelina jolie next?
    Then we may as well start a game show contest where all our favourite or least favourite celebs compete to be elected to rule the worlds most powerful government, economy and military

I for one hope that after Trumps reign americans go back to electing individuals fit for presidency

Big Brother in the White house, and the last to be evicted gets to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A lot of votes went to Trump because they didn't want some female career politician as their president. A black female career celebrity has no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A lot of votes went to Trump because they didn't want some female career politician as their president. A black female career celebrity has no chance.

She'll get black vote and women vote and the already blue states. Doesn't really matter what those red states think as she'll win swing states using that black vote and women vote. She'd have a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

She'll get black vote and women vote and the already blue states. Doesn't really matter what those red states think as she'll win swing states using that black vote and women vote. She'd have a great chance.

Why would women vote for someone known as "Weinsteins Pimp"???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Not a hope. All people have to do is show all those photos of her cosying up to her close friend Harvey Weinstein and she'll be gone in no time. She is a grade A hypocrite. I'd say she has a huge amount of skeletons in her closet just waiting to be exposed.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/hzQWB2z_Ce0-2JoDApH3HAs2iu4/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2014/01/16/123/n/1922398/619166a8d7b80f34_463109465/i/Oprah-kissed-Harvey-Weinstein.jpg

Economy is doing ok

It hasn't

hemmoragging jobs, 40 million in poverty, no increase in real wage terms in decades. Who are you kidding?

She's a billionaire media personality beloved by liberals the world over. She has every chance unfortunately.

Another symptom of how utterly deranged the U.S. has become as a nation.

Trump would beat her like a gong though. He'd have a field day with her admission of smoking crack cocaine.

That's just for starters.

There's also the small matter of her being black (truly black, not mulatto like Obama), female and a lesbian.

Tough sell to the Americans who think they are modern but are in fact medieval.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Economy is doing ok

It hasn't

From the article linked below:

In talking with people in the different states and territories I was frequently asked how the US compares with other states. While such comparisons are not always perfect, a cross-section of statistical comparisons provides a relatively clear picture of the contrast between the wealth, innovative capacity, and work ethic of the US, and the social and other outcomes that have been attained.
    • By most indicators, the US is one of the world’s wealthiest countries. It spends more on national defense than China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, the United Kingdom, India, France and Japan combined.
    • US healthcare expenditures per capita are double the OECD average and much higher than in all other countries. But there are many fewer doctors and hospital beds per person than the OECD average.
    • US infant mortality rates in 2013 were the highest in the developed world.
    • Americans can expect to live shorter and sicker lives, compared to people living in any other rich democracy, and the “health gap” between the US and its peer countries continues to grow.
    • US inequality levels are far higher than those in most European countries
    • Neglected tropical diseases, including Zika, are increasingly common in the USA. It has been estimated that 12 million Americans live with a neglected parasitic infection. A 2017 report documents the prevalence of hookworm in Lowndes County, Alabama.
    • The US has the highest prevalence of obesity in the developed world.
    • In terms of access to water and sanitation the US ranks 36th in the world.
    • America has the highest incarceration rate in the world, ahead of Turkmenistan, El Salvador, Cuba, Thailand and the Russian Federation. Its rate is nearly five times the OECD average.
    • The youth poverty rate in the United States is the highest across the OECD with one quarter of youth living in poverty compared to less than 14% across the OECD.
    • The Stanford Center on Inequality and Poverty ranks the most well-off countries in terms of labor markets, poverty, safety net, wealth inequality, and economic mobility. The US comes in last of the top 10 most well-off countries, and 18th amongst the top 21.
    • In the OECD the US ranks 35th out of 37 in terms of poverty and inequality.
    • According to the World Income Inequality Database, the US has the highest Gini rate (measuring inequality) of all Western Countries
    • The Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality characterizes the US as “a clear and constant outlier in the child poverty league”. US child poverty rates are the highest amongst the six richest countries – Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden and Norway
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/15/extreme-poverty-america-un-special-monitor-report

If that doesn't make it a basket case of a country, I don't know what does.

You should also read this other longer article by the UN's Philip Alston on his travels through poverty stricken America:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/15/america-extreme-poverty-un-special-rapporteur

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There's also the small matter of her being black (truly black, not mulatto like Obama), female and a lesbian.

Tough sell to the Americans who think they are modern but are in fact medieval.

First I've heard of that, live and learn.......

After all the tooing and froing on here, I still think she would give it a good go. The only thing I can see stoping her is if Trump can manage in his bumbling twittering way to start a war, and then we are all ****ed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

She seems like a good person and intelligent which in many ways is what America needs but they really need to elect a politician not a media celebrity. It’s recipe for disaster.

salmocab wrote: »
    She seems like a good person and intelligent which in many ways is what America needs but they really need to elect a politician not a media celebrity. It’s recipe for disaster.

I remember the missus watching that documentary series following her on the last season of the Oprah show and the pained expressions on her researchers and assistants throughout gave the impression that she was a bit of a twunt. And given her long association with all sorts of junk science, I think you can strike intelligent off the list as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Seal singer chap (the fella that had a number one 90's hit for about 134weeks), makes a fair enough point via the aul instagrammes
    https://www.instagram.com/seal/?hl=en 13k likes, he's got a new album out by coincidence.

Screen_Shot_2018-01-11_at_19.21.41.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

hemmoragging jobs, 40 million in poverty, no increase in real wage terms in decades. Who are you kidding?

Things went from bad to worse under Clinton and then Obama. Up to Trump to stop the relative decline / stand up for America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I remember the missus watching that documentary series following her on the last season of the Oprah show and the pained expressions on her researchers and assistants throughout gave the impression that she was a bit of a twunt. And given her long association with all sorts of junk science, I think you can strike intelligent off the list as well.

I used the word seems because to be honest I know f all about her but have rarely heard bad. As I said though America doesn’t need another celeb running the show.

Advertisement