Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Oprah go for it and beat Trump in the next US presidential election.

Options

Comments

She won't beat Kanye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

FFS why not just get Maury, Dr. Phil, Geraldo, or Jerry Springer to run while we are at it.

In fact, let's just get Steve Wilkos to run...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Michelle Obama vs Oprah in a ladder match.

Stone Cold as the special guest referee.

Vince McMahon sitting in to commentate with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler.

The Pay-Per-View can be called Black On Black Crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Michelle Obama vs Oprah in a ladder match.

Stone Cold as the special guest referee.

Vince McMahon sitting in to commentate with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler.

The Pay-Per-View can be called Black On Black Crime.

That would be better than most of the dreck the WWE is serving up these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Oldtree wrote: »
    I think she will and announced her intentions with the words "A new day is on the horizon" in her speech at the Golden Globes.

Reminiscent of Mya Angelou words from 1993
    "The horizon leans forward, Offering you space to place new steps of change."

And I also think she will win it, attracting all but the far right to her cause.

No she won’t run. She’ll milk it for publicity, but won’t run. Way too much dirt in her background. Known as Weinsteins pimp in certain Hollywood circles.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    Jerry !

Jerry !

Jerry!

Former mayor of Cincinnati

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She's sycophantic and egotistical enough to definitely think she should do it.

I look forward to more made up stories from her like the Swiss Handbag incident that never really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

She is an influential person for sure. A positive or negative word from her can make or break businesses and livelihoods.
    She is also an actual, like, self-made billionaire, but has never courted a role in politics.

A modicum of common sense, in a bizarro political scene where 'The' Donald is President, would suggest that having Winfrey as a democratic running mate would be somewhat palatable, a vote grabber, running on a platform of women's issues.

In the aftermath of 2016, the DNC may just look at such a prospect and clear the way so to speak to allow that to happen and court Winfrey for such a role. But that won't be enough, it's the top job or nothing, thank you for stroking my ego but no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

To have gotten as far as she has in Hollywood, there are skeletons in her closet and I don't think bible belt America will be as quick to "forgive the sins" a black woman from the wrong side of the tracks who's made good as they were to forgive an orange man born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I opened a thread on this and it was thrown in to the politics cafe graveyard.

Very disappointing editorial decision making :(

Oprah, just like Trump, is not qualified in any way.

I didn't look there before posting, I now look forward to joining you there shortly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

piplip87 wrote: »
    No she won't get past the Democratic nomination. Super delegates will not let that happen. I think Biden will walk it both in general and primary's.

How old is Biden tho ?
    - 75 ... he'll be 77 in 2020, can't see it happening to be honest.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You could equally apply that here but substitute celebrities for..

Publicans
    Teachers
    Lawyers
    GAA "stars"
    Offspring of career politicians who've achieved nothing

We're just as bad in our own way.

This is very true. Imo the American elections seem to be who can hype the mob up the most wins, and Ophra is an expert with that particular skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

piplip87 wrote: »
    No she won't get past the Democratic nomination. Super delegates will not let that happen. I think Biden will walk it both in general and primary's.

That would also be a terrible idea since he'll be 78 in 2020. Either way, she shouldn't run for this and won't run for this in my opinion.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Michelle Obama vs Oprah.

Now there's a novel idea. Was Michelle the power behind the throne and could she take it for herself?

Yeah good point, I'd see Michelle Obama as a president before Oprah.

What are her policies? Her view on foreign and domestic policy?

Or is that based on her looking nice and smiley standing beside Barack??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'd say Yoda would make a better President. In fact Lassie the famous sheepdog would probably make a better President than either of these two. The bar has dropped so low for Presidential candidates in America that I am sure if Lassie declared interest and ran for it that he'd probably win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I hope not. It would probably mean getting that dick Deepak Chopra as Vice Guru :(

Trump wasn't nice amd smiley and had no policies only rhetoric before running, I'm sure Michelle could come up with some motivational rhetoric as well as being nice and smiley should she run. :)

Lassie and yoda are both fictional characters and neither of them are able to speak properly :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

She is wasting her time if she runs. Trumps doing a brilliant job as President, economy soaring, jobs up, stock market up, starting to fix the absolute farce of a immigration system etc..

Its the economy stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

She might. Just shows how much of an utter utter farce politics is. The whole thing like an episode of Dallas.

Amazing thing is many yanks so brainwashed so dumbed down now that they will think with Oprah as president their lifes will improve tremendously.

+1

The whole country is a farce and their political system is a pantomime.

Look at the dummies who have been president or have run for president/VP in the last 35 years.

And the same old slogans get these chimps elected time and time again and the clueless Americans vote for them and still get shafted.

"tough on crime"
    "take the country back"
    "no new taxes"
    "make America great (again)"

These losers whoop with glee when "their guy" gets (s)elected, their jobs get sent abroad, their water gets more polluted, their house gets repossessed, their diabetic mother's health coverage is slashed so they have to change her nappy and spoonfeed her and still they think that "their guy" is the man because he's not "the other guy"

Cretins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Chrongen wrote: »
    +1

Look at the dummies who have been president or have run for president/VP in the last 35 years.

And the same old slogans get these chimps elected time and time again and the clueless Americans vote for them and still get shafted.

"tough on crime"
    "take the country back"
    "no new taxes"

These losers whoop with glee when "their guy" gets (s)elected, their jobs get sent abroad, their water gets more polluted, their house gets repossessed, their diabetic mother's health coverage is slashed so they have to change her nappy and spoonfeed her and still they think that "their guy" is the man because he's not "the other guy"

Cretins.

That's not exclusive to the U.S.

The same could be said of the perceived ideological divides of the political parties in Ireland.

Probably not as fashionable to say though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Chrongen wrote: »
    +1

"tough on crime"
    "take the country back"
    "no new taxes"

Cretins.

Fianna Fail/Fine Gael. /argument

Look at the clowns we continue to put into power here and look at the ever worsening problems we have in our society. We cannot say much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't think it is in her, she might initially run then pull out after she has had her say. The first Female President of the US will most likely be a Republican at some point in the future

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BillyBobBS wrote:
    She is wasting her time if she runs. Trumps doing a brilliant job as President, economy soaring, jobs up, stock market up, starting to fix the absolute farce of a immigration system etc..

It's disturbing to see the amount of people that actually believe this, the damage this administration is doing to their own country and beyond could be irreversible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Fianna Fail/Fine Gael. /argument

Look at the clowns we continue to put into power here and look at the ever worsening problems we have in our society. We cannot say much.

True, and people here almost incredulously elected a Dragon's Den judge as President of Ireland ahead of Michael D until Martin McGuinness's thankful intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A f*cking multi-millionaire celebrity who lectures people; that'll go down well with the working class people who abandoned the Democrats in their droves.

Of course because she happens to be black and a woman the gobsh*tes in certain sections of the left will tell us it's automatically a good idea.

• Advertisement

I agree, but we all know the US political system is broken, and a wife of a former popular president with I'd imagine far less skeletons in her closet has a much bigger chance.

Advertisement