Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

2020! My trade in value :(.

(Comparing to me taking a half day, going to look at the Niro, test driving, buying and having one of the first a week later lol ! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Whens the soul coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Whens the soul coming out?

2020 according to the dealer. He was trying to get me to test drive it the day after I test drove the E-niro. It just landed in Ireland.

No word on price for it but really not sold on the design at all compared to the E-niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Which dealer had it? Didn't even know they were in the country yet.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Which dealer had it? Didn't even know they were in the country yet.

Joe Duffy Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Saw my first e-Niro 'in the wild' today at Tesco Maynooth. Looked lovely in the flesh. Black 191-MH Reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy Swords

That’s the one I test drove

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Test drove the Niro last weekend at Swords.
    Going to replace the Ioniq with the Niro EV and have placed a deposit for January.

Feels very like the Ioniq to drive, though with a lot more room in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,159 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh wow, I was convinced you were going for an ID next year :)

Well wear!

Care to share what deal you got on it with your Ioniq as trade in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

liamog wrote: »
    Going to replace the Ioniq with the Niro EV and have placed a deposit for January.

I presume that is not the 64kw version?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Oh wow, I was convinced you were going for an ID next year :)

Well wear!

The Niro is for wifey, the ID.3 will replace my e-Up!.
    There is a fair bit of man math involved in justifying the purchase.

dbran wrote: »
    I presume that is not the 64kw version?

The January order is for the 64kWh version with the 150kW motor, the demonstrator they have is the smaller battery and 100kW motor. We were assured that all other specs on the car were the same.

liamog wrote: »

Wait, a deposit? They wouldn't let me put one down last week when I test drove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

I have a deposit down but it is part of the grant approval for me. The January delivery would make sense but i would expect it to be a higher spec. The spec available in the demo is what will be available for about 50 cars coming in June. There will be a press day on June 11th. I am expecting mine a few days after that. Im still struggling with choice for home charger. Will be using local sparkie but there are a few options that I just cant make a decision on. I like the small design of the wallbox but its seems expensive and the rolec seems to be more reasonable but there are so many options you can add. I just cant make my mind up. Any advise on this. The zappi i feel is just too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The grant is a waste of time.....you could get charger installed pre-grant for 200 quid etc.....as soon as grant came in everything starts at 1k

kevin16w wrote: »
    I have a deposit down but it is part of the grant approval for me. The January delivery would make sense but i would expect it to be a higher spec. The spec available in the demo is what will be available for about 50 cars coming in June. There will be a press day on June 11th. I am expecting mine a few days after that. Im still struggling with choice for home charger. Will be using local sparkie but there are a few options that I just cant make a decision on. I like the small design of the wallbox but its seems expensive and the rolec seems to be more reasonable but there are so many options you can add. I just cant make my mind up. Any advise on this. The zappi i feel is just too big.
    So the deposit is to get the grant for the charger then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The grant is a waste of time.....you could get charger installed pre-grant for 200 quid etc.....as soon as grant came in everything starts at 1k

To be fair, the quotes for €1k existed prior to the grant. I was quoted that back in 2016!

If you are putting in a new charge point the cheapest is around €400 for the charge point and then a few hundred to install it. So, its possible to get it free if you pick your electrician wisely.

It was never possible to install one for €200 unless you buy secondhand and why do that if you can get a new one installed for almost free?

The €1k quotes are just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

dbran wrote: »
    So the deposit is to get the grant for the charger then?

The deposit was at the request of the dealer to begin his paperwork for the 10k grant only. i applied for the home charger grant myself and was approved even though i still had no registration plate. i have the paperwork to complete for that grant but wont get paid until work done and i have the registration too at that stage. but the deposit was more to get things moving for them as they said it can take up to 2 weeks to get all sorted and the car would be coming soon enough.
    On the home charger note - i had a great call from Des Mulhare of Mulhare electrical. they are the largest installers of EVBox in country and had a great conversation regarding my options. He is an installer but was not put out when i had advised that i would be using local sparkie. He continued to provide huge assistance and said he would be available if i had further questions or if my sparkie did. It was excellent customer service and i know alot is said positively about Nigel Daly but its great to see that he isnt the only one.
    I can believe that as soon as the grant went in, the prices piled up... its a disgrace. Thats why im trying to do local, hoping i can get it close enough to grant. Saying that EVbox elvi will be approx €700 and then priority switch between €150 and €170, then RCBO and cabling and labour. It will all add up.

kevin16w wrote: »
    The deposit was at the request of the dealer to begin his paperwork for the 10k grant only. i applied for the home charger grant myself and was approved even though i still had no registration plate. i have the paperwork to complete for that grant but wont get paid until work done and i have the registration too at that stage. but the deposit was more to get things moving for them as they said it can take up to 2 weeks to get all sorted and the car would be coming soon enough.
    On the home charger note - i had a great call from Des Mulhare of Mulhare electrical. they are the largest installers of EVBox in country and had a great conversation regarding my options. He is an installer but was not put out when i had advised that i would be using local sparkie. He continued to provide huge assistance and said he would be available if i had further questions or if my sparkie did. It was excellent customer service and i know alot is said positively about Nigel Daly but its great to see that he isnt the only one.
    I can believe that as soon as the grant went in, the prices piled up... its a disgrace. Thats why im trying to do local, hoping i can get it close enough to grant. Saying that EVbox elvi will be approx €700 and then priority switch between €150 and €170, then RCBO and cabling and labour. It will all add up.

What about this for €149

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/electric-vehicle-home-charger

• Registered Users Posts: 65,159 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a very good charger (ABL, German made), but the version that Electric Ireland sell is software limited to just 3.6kW charging

I have one of those myself* and I hooked it up to my laptop and re-programmed it to have 7.2kW charging. But during the install they have to use thicker cable and you also need a higher amp RCBO than what the installer would use for just 3.6kW charging. So bear that in mind. If you are unable / unwilling to upgrade it yourself, I wouldn't go for that one.

*Mine was installed in early 2017 and back then it was the install that was done for free (previous grant scheme). I persuaded the installer (Nigel Daly) to use the thicker cable I provided and when he was done, I upgraded the charger itself and a friendly eletrician swapped out the 16A RCBO for a 40A one that I provided (5 minute job)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

Has anyone heard anymore news on actual dates for delivery of e-niro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

jmpie wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anymore news on actual dates for delivery of e-niro?

Immediate delivery after grant paperwork. But I'm holding off until 1st July. There are some 64kWh cars in the system, even a choice of colour.

Immediate delivery after grant paperwork. But I'm holding off until 1st July. There are some 64kWh cars in the system, even a choice of colour.

That's Great, I asked my dealer about the grant application but they said they didn't have a chassis number yet and will need that for the application which is fair enough. But I still didn't get an approx date of anything like that. July would suit me fine, but I would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Do you know what the colour choices are?

They told me that they could get any color, especially White or dark colors. I asked for the graphite (Grey) and they said no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

jmpie wrote: »
    They told me that they could get any color, especially White or dark colors. I asked for the graphite (Grey) and they said no problem.

Apologies for jumping in but what price are dealers quoting for an EV Niro on the road after grants? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do I need the grant if there's an electrician in the family to install the charger for me!?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

tk123 wrote: »
    Do I need the grant if there's an electrician in the family to install the charger for me!?

Even if he does it for free you'd want to claim back the cost of the materials/charger surely. They would have to be registered with Safe Electric to do that.

tk123 wrote: »

No you could just buy a charger ( I got a Zappi for €595) and get your electrician family member to install for free. But if they are a Safe Electric certified electrician you can still get the grant and then it would be completely free.

I got a friend (Safe Electric certified) to install and he only charged materials and a small charge for time. so after the grant it only cost me €250.

• Advertisement

Bif wrote: »
    Apologies for jumping in but what price are dealers quoting for an EV Niro on the road after grants? Thanks.

They were saying approx €5k above the 39kwH to me so that around €39 for the 64kWh

Advertisement