Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ei9go wrote: »
    Was in the Kia dealers during the week and he told me that there had been a dealer meeting at which they were told there would be no eNiro here until 2020!

If that is the case they need to have a serious discussion with finance....

A 40k Niro v a potentially cheaper VW. I know which most people will go for.

Kia and Hyundai won't import anything the fell won't sell and one reason they never got the soul EV.

Hyundai predictably have only one trim Kona EV and not all 3 like the U.K because they import in bulk and if they don't sell they're stuck with them, it's an expensive car so they already probably feel it won't sell well.

40 odd K is more than most are willing to spend on a non German car, 60 Kwh or no 60 Kwh.

The i3 rex didn't even cost me that, close but would I pay 40 odd K for a Hyundai or Kia ? probably not a chance, it'a a bit gammy inside and the outside is covered in hideous plastic trim, eah for 40K ? no chance, it really does not feel like a 40 K car. Yes I got the i3 2nd hand as it was already priced about as high as I would pay for any car.

Perhaps this will be good for 2nd hand prices as people see value in it but even at 40 odd K it's still only mid spec car with halogen headlights for f1ck sake not even radar cruise control, or has it ?

As Shefwedfan correctly pointed out, 40K for a VW or 40 K for a Kia / Hyundai ?

No doubt it's a good EV but most people don't care , to them it's a car and they don't care what powers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If that is the case they need to have a serious discussion with finance....

A 40k Niro v a potentially cheaper VW. I know which most people will go for.

The real question is what will VW actually deliver for "cheaper"? If it's a car with 250-280km range vs the Kia's 455mm on the bigger battery and almost every feature you would expect a car to have at a substantial charge (try configuring a Polo or Golf today), maybe it is not worth waiting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

embraer170 wrote: »
    If it's a car with 250-280km range vs the Kia's 455mm on the bigger battery and almost every feature you would expect a car to have at a substantial charge (try configuring a Polo or Golf today), maybe it is not worth waiting for.

I dunno, 250 kilometres seems like a significantly better range than 455 millimetres to me :pac:

embraer170 wrote: »
    The real question is what will VW actually deliver for "cheaper"? If it's a car with 250-280km range vs the Kia's 455mm on the bigger battery and almost every feature you would expect a car to have at a substantial charge (try configuring a Polo or Golf today), maybe it is not worth waiting for.

Hence why I posted potentially

Based on the predictions of the lower range going for 25k starting. The details of the website with specific trims to reduce complexity I think it is a fair shout the longer range VW will be at most 40k. Probably less.

I like the Niro, the PHEV is good value at 32k versus Toyota at 38k. Would I pay 40k for the eNiro when I can buy a VW for the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Dropped into Kia Dundrum today. What they said was that Ireland should be getting a dozen e-Niro's in July but they'll be for press review and for demo models in dealerships.

They'll take orders starting then for first delivery of e-Niro's in Jan 2020. There are no prices released yet, but he guessed it would go for around 38K. Although that might have been a guess to match the Kona EV's price, which I think was 38K last year but is now 39.5K (checked in Hyundai dealer)

mrbongo wrote: »
    Dropped into Kia Dundrum today. What they said was that Ireland should be getting a dozen e-Niro's in July but they'll be for press review and for demo models in dealerships.

They'll take orders starting then for first delivery of e-Niro's in Jan 2020. There are no prices released yet, but he guessed it would go for around 38K. Although that might have been a guess to match the Kona EV's price, which I think was 38K last year but is now 39.5K (checked in Hyundai dealer)

So last time I talked to dealer the press version would arrive in Feb. So that has been pushed back so it will be a 2020 number plate

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I'm asking for my deposit back and will buy from the UK. Apparently there are still a few hundred cars available this year in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kuro68k wrote: »
    I'm asking for my deposit back and will buy from the UK. Apparently there are still a few hundred cars available this year in the UK.
    You won't get the UK grant so add £4.5k to the sticker price unless you have a UK address to register the car to.
    And to do 6k km and wait 6 months before registering here or be caught for VAT too.

And then there's the whole brexit uncertainty, if there's a hard brexit or no deal you may have to pay WTO import taxes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kuro68k wrote: »
    ELM327 wrote: »
    You won't get the UK grant so add £4.5k to the sticker price unless you have a UK address to register the car to.
    And to do 6k km and wait 6 months before registering here or be caught for VAT too.

And then there's the whole brexit uncertainty, if there's a hard brexit or no deal you may have to pay WTO import taxes too.

kuro68k... ^^ Everything ELM327 said

Unless you are moving back to the UK?
    If you live in Ireland you cannot drive a UK registered car in ROI for more than 30 days.

Now, if you could get a dealer demo model that is >6mths old and has more than 6000km's on it then you can bring that in and not suffer any extra taxes. Just get allocated an Irish reg and stick it on and your're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What Car magazine have given the eNiro the overall car of the year award for 2019.

They gave it the nod over the Kona in their comparison because...

Better handing and ride then Kona

Better interior space - especially in the rear.

More refined acceleration (less wheelspin etc).

Superior in terms of less wind noise.

All looks promising.

There was 7 miles range or thereabouts between the cars on What Cars real world test.

253 miles for Niro and 259 for Kona

KCross wrote: »

If you live in Ireland you cannot drive a UK registered car in ROI for more than 30 days.

Now, if you could get a dealer demo model that is >6mths old and has more than 6000km's on it then you can bring that in and not suffer any extra taxes. Just get allocated an Irish reg and stick it on and your're done.
    Oh and I forgot, if its the same as the Kona and ioniq (which it probably is), then you'll be stuck with a speedo and gom in miles not KM, which cannot be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,868 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Old diesel wrote: »

And of course it is pretty much a full size bigger, for about the same money. And no arguing with a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Looking forward to test driving one when they hit the showrooms in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

A dealer demo can be bought without UK VAT. The VAT is then paid here, so no extra tax. The mileage is irrelevant in this case. There will be a little VRT in either case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

A dealer demo can be bought without UK VAT. The VAT is then paid here, so no extra tax. The mileage is irrelevant in this case. There will be a little VRT in either case though.

It sucks tho that you can't change to km.
    If I was buying I'd be looking to the UK to get better spec but think having mph on the clock would annoy me too much.

Uriel. wrote: »
    It sucks tho that you can't change to km.
    If I was buying I'd be looking to the UK to get better spec but think having mph on the clock would annoy me too much.

Yeah it would piss me off no end. I suppose you would get used to it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You don’t have to purchase one with greater than 6,000kms on it, it can have 1km on it, it only needs to be above 6,000kms when presented for VRT which can be as late as 30days after entering the state so plenty of time to get the ODO up to avoid VAT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    You don’t have to purchase one with greater than 6,000kms on it, it can have 1km on it, it only needs to be above 6,000kms when presented for VRT which can be as late as 30days after entering the state so plenty of time to get the ODO up to avoid VAT

Yeah I'd be buying a test drive model with a few thousand km on the clock and then running up the balance to hit 6000km.

That will equate to extra tax as we have a higher Vat rate.

slave1 wrote: »

Indeed. Just as long as it’s also over 6mthd old when you import it. They usually look for ferry ticket and/or invoice to prove the date of import as opposed to the date of VRT appt.

Just trying to ensure kuro68k doesn’t get stung as he probably doesn’t understand our VRT system here.

• Advertisement

That will equate to extra tax as we have a higher Vat rate.

Yeah, but you'll be paying irish VAT anyway. Buying without VAT as a new means of transport means that you don't have to pay the UK VAT and then claim it back when you pay the Irish one. The mileage being below 6k doesn't matter then. No faffing around putting up a load of unnecessary miles in 30 days.

To clarify, the UK price of a demo will include UK VAT. This can be taken off, making the price significantly cheaper... until you pay the Irish VAT here.

Yeah, but you'll be paying irish VAT anyway. Buying without VAT as a new means of transport means that you don't have to pay the UK VAT and then claim it back when you pay the Irish one. The mileage being below 6k doesn't matter then. No faffing around putting up a load of unnecessary miles in 30 days.

To clarify, the UK price of a demo will include UK VAT. This can be taken off, making the price significantly cheaper... until you pay the Irish VAT here.

ok, I'm with ya.
    That will require you finding a dealer that is willing to:
    - register it as a demo to claim the UK grant as you cant claim the Irish grant
    - then sell it ex vat to you.

Thats easier said than done as it is extra paperwork for them. I believe PhilG was in discussions with dealers in NI to do just that a few months ago.

I guess the main point for kuro68k is that its not as simple as he may think. The grant, VAT and VRT all have to be accounted for to ensure he doesnt end up paying more than he is already expecting to pay. He needs to be sure of the paperwork and what the process of importing is.

ok, I'm with ya.
    That will require you finding a dealer that is willing to:
    - register it as a demo to claim the UK grant as you cant claim the Irish grant
    - then sell it ex vat to you.

Thats easier said than done as it is extra paperwork for them. I believe PhilG was in discussions with dealers in NI to do just that a few months ago.

I guess the main point for kuro68k is that its not as simple as he may think. The grant, VAT and VRT all have to be accounted for to ensure he doesnt end up paying more than he is already expecting to pay. He needs to be sure of the paperwork and what the process of importing is.

Yeah, it wouldn't work with a brand new car, without a very flexible dealer. It would need to be a demo that they're selling, which would be registered and grant applied. But in the UK, demos seem to be for sale as soon as they're registered.

The paperwork is 1 form to be signed: HMG form VAT 411. I was ready to buy a demo last year. The dealer was more than happy to invoice VAT free and sign the form. A new one came up here, and I bought that instead. But a boardsie (Irishgrover) did buy the car and brought it in. From his report it was completely painless. The dealer picked him up at the local airport, took him to the dealership and completed the paperwork and he drove it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Old diesel wrote: »
    What Car magazine have given the eNiro the overall car of the year award for 2019.

Better handing and ride then Kona

Better interior space - especially in the rear.

More refined acceleration (less wheelspin etc).

Superior in terms of less wind noise.

All looks promising.

There was 7 miles range or thereabouts between the cars on What Cars real world test.

253 miles for Niro and 259 for Kona

Video review from WhatCar:

https://www.whatcar.com/kia/e-niro/estate/review/n18388

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Yeah, it wouldn't work with a brand new car, without a very flexible dealer. It would need to be a demo that they're selling, which would be registered and grant applied. But in the UK, demos seem to be for sale as soon as they're registered.

The paperwork is 1 form to be signed: HMG form VAT 411. I was ready to buy a demo last year. The dealer was more than happy to invoice VAT free and sign the form. A new one came up here, and I bought that instead. But a boardsie (Irishgrover) did buy the car and brought it in. From his report it was completely painless. The dealer picked him up at the local airport, took him to the dealership and completed the paperwork and he drove it home.

Yes, I did this, and it was painless....but only because
    1. I did my homework and got all the facts right, including informing the dealer exactly what would happen, and why, and giving him links to articles from HMRS detailing the same etc.
    2 <ninjaEdit> plus the same dealer has already been softened up by another boardsie who has some interenst in the car. Was is Silent Running? I think so!?(/ninjaEdit>
    3. The dealer was intelligent and willing - the first dealer I spoke with, albeit very briefly (10 minutes) suspected I may have been a Nigerian prince.

I'm strongly considering doing it again for the Niro EV in 6 months or so....

Yes, I did this, and it was painless....but only because
    1. I did my homework and got all the facts right, including informing the dealer exactly what would happen, and why, and giving him links to articles from HMRS detailing the same etc.
    2 <ninjaEdit> plus the same dealer has already been softened up by another boardsie who has some interenst in the car. Was is Silent Running? I think so!?(/ninjaEdit>
    3. The dealer was intelligent and willing - the first dealer I spoke with, albeit very briefly (10 minutes) suspected I may have been a Nigerian prince.

I'm strongly considering doing it again for the Niro EV in 6 months or so....

Yep, that was me :D I gave Richard an education on the subject. To be fair, he was a very willing student and he did his own homework on the subject. :)

Just jumping back to a previous discussion - a UK import of the Niro {or Kona} and the situation re miles rather kms on odometer, speedo etc. Is it definite that you can't change? And is it only software limitation that could be patched or is there a deeper (hardware) issue preventing the change?

Just jumping back to a previous discussion - a UK import of the Niro {or Kona} and the situation re miles rather kms on odometer, speedo etc. Is it definite that you can't change? And is it only software limitation that could be patched or is there a deeper (hardware) issue preventing the change?

I'm sure I read somewhere that an Irish dealer changed the miles to kms. It required the car to be left at the dealership overnight and there was mention of connecting to a Korean server.

I can't remember where I read it though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

to give an indication, what was the price of the EV you imported after getting it Vat Exempt in the UK, and paying the Irish Vat here, and also with no SEAI grant, was it cheaper/more expensive,

I know the Spec is better in the UK, but just wondering what the price all in it was compared to locally purchased.

I have imported my 2 current cars from the UK (not EV's, both were 9mts olso and circ 10k miles) so know the rules to an extent, but given the limited supply of EV's here,

Also I have found there is a reluctance of some dealers to do scrappage, also Hyundai Irish Scrappage scheme seems more onerous than the UK, where you only need to own and tax for 3mts, whereas here its own, tax, insure for 6mts I was quoted, when its Hyundai thats covering the 4k reduction or whatever, not the Dealer.

• Advertisement

You cannot do it yourself at all, the dealer will most likely not be able to help either. It is hard coded to the car and needs the ECU version flashed.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that an Irish dealer changed the miles to kms. It required the car to be left at the dealership overnight and there was mention of connecting to a Korean server.

I can't remember where I read it though. :o

That was a backend hack done by a friend of a friend that happened to work at a dealers, not something open for general populous

Advertisement