Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    might as well wait for e-tron then and vw evs theys should be readily available by 2020 :D

eTron is 100k+

VW will not be launching a Crossover till 2021 in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

icom wrote: »
    Fair play, they called me about two hours after submitting the request saying that the e-Niro is not available to order (as far as they are aware), and no pricing is available yet, but they would get back to me again as soon as they know.

Bad communication between the Head Office and the Dealer Network ? :)

Why am I not surprised? Am contacting Kia in Dundrum now, see what they say.

I would think price would be in the 40K region, maybe a bit less if we're lucky. It's a better car than the Kona EV by all accounts (except in looks perhaps), and I think the Kona is around 38K.

From Kia Dundrum:
    Thank you for your enquiry. The car can be reserved but unfortunately at present we do not have a confirmed price.

About what I expected, and no mention of a possible delivery date, I will check but sincerely doubt it will be April, sounds more like we should expect Q2 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

mrbongo wrote: »
    From Kia Dundrum:

About what I expected, and no mention of a possible delivery date, I will check but sincerely doubt it will be April, sounds more like we should expect Q2 2019.

At least they know it can be reserved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Baller23

Kona is €38K with Grant but is paddy spec, niro is supposed to get here in full premium model

• Advertisement

This article claims Niro will start at €39,590 in Norway, so expect it more expensive than that here of course.

Article also says price is 12.5% more than Kona in Norway - if that happened here then e-Niro could be €42,750 ... or more, since we're just getting Paddy-spec Kona. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 64kwh model is the only direct comparison we can have as Kona are not importing the 39kwh version.
    64Kwh Kona starts at over €49K before any deductions. you can take €11K off that. Garage price to you around €38K.
    64kwh Niro?

mrbongo wrote: »
    This article claims Niro will start at €39,590 in Norway, so expect it more expensive than that here of course.

Article also says price is 12.5% more than Kona in Norway - if that happened here then e-Niro could be €42,750 ... or more, since we're just getting Paddy-spec Kona. :eek:

The Niro is more expensive in Norway. Hence why I wouldn't be expecting it to be cheaper than the Kona

The difference is that Hyundai thought they could put out a sh*t spec and the paddys would buy no problem. Keep a healthy margin. It hasn't really worked so Kia should know they need to keep the spec "decentish".....it was a shocking decision to take off adaptive cruise control on the Kona

They need to keep it under the 50k limit for company car, so expect it into the hadn at 39,999 after grants...what spec you get for that is no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

any of the future niro ev owners: have ye inquired about insurance policies? would they be within "norm" of say average ICE car or do they tend to go up due to rarity of EVs on Irish roads?

Some posters on here have got money back changing to EV. Certainly didn't affect OH's insurance.

• Advertisement

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    any of the future niro ev owners: have ye inquired about insurance policies? would they be within "norm" of say average ICE car or do they tend to go up due to rarity of EVs on Irish roads?

Insurance is not affected by how many of the cars are on the road.

If you have insurance on a 1.6 petrol and valuation is 10k and you buy an electric and the valuation is 40k then expect your insurance to increase

If you have a 2ltr 40k car and swap to electric then expect it to go down.....probably the best way to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Insurance on my 2008 Saab was 550 euro per year. Switched yesterday and insurance on my brand new electric Ionic (which is worth 30 times more) is 383 euro per year. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,866 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We also got about 140 refund for the 9 months remaining on the insurance when we traded in our 16 year old end of life car for a brand new Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Insurance on my 2008 Saab was 550 euro per year. Switched yesterday and insurance on my brand new electric Ionic (which is worth 30 times more) is 383 euro per year. Go figure!
    We were the same couldn't figure it out but gladly took the cash

Insurance is much more to do with what profile you fit than how "fast" your car is. An EV driver is seen as progressive, family car, and safe. So a low risk. Even though you're quicker away from the lights than say a Honda Civic Type-R. A high risk car by way of the number of claims that are made against drivers of one of them.

Saabs BTW are traditionally cheap to insure. Again the profile. Not many a boy racer would want to be seen in a Saab :D

unkel wrote: »
    Insurance is much more to do with what profile you fit than how "fast" your car is

I don't think that's completely true. Tesla's are expensive and difficult to insure, the more so the higher the performance due to their speed off the line (up to supercar acceleration).

The typical EV is quicker off the line than ICEs but generally not significantly enough to be dangerous. Niro EV's 0-60 mph is 7.8 seconds I think, not bad but nothing to get to excited about, nor affect insurance I'd say.

Tesla would have high insurance because they cost an arm and leg to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

BigAl81 wrote: »

Do you mind me asking who is your insurer please, I switched from a 2yo Yaris Hybrid to a new Zoe and was charged €50 extra by AA insurance.

A 2yo Yaris Hybrid would also have a pretty good safety profile. The Zoe is worth 10k more, so the €50 extra seems pretty justified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Shame it has all gone so quiet about the Kia in Ireland when many testers in Germany are describing it as the only real Model 3 alternative - doesn’t have the looks or performance but has superb build quality and is practical as a family car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I wouldn't compare it to the Model 3, that car is only really suitable for warm climates with little rain. In all of northern Europe it's next to useless due to a massive design flaw.

https://youtu.be/hCv_Ha0oWjE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

kuro68k wrote: »
    I wouldn't compare it to the Model 3, that car is only really suitable for warm climates with little rain. In all of northern Europe it's next to useless due to a massive design flaw.

https://youtu.be/hCv_Ha0oWjE

Who opens a boot like that in the rain?

You open and close as quick as you can

Open the doors of a Lamborghini in the rain and see the rain piss in

That's not a design flaw

Of course it is a design flaw. I believe it has been rectified and no longer occurs in cars currently being produced though.

A Tesla Model 3 is a mass manufactured car for the masses. Not some sort of exotic car that needs to be garaged and babied and only driven on nice dry days like a Lamborghini.

unkel wrote: »
    Of course it is a design flaw. I believe it has been rectified and no longer occurs in cars currently being produced though.

A Tesla Model 3 is a mass manufactured car for the masses. Not some sort of exotic car that needs to be garaged and babied and only driven on nice dry days like a Lamborghini.

True but honestly it's no big deal

Tesla have to be the most scrutinised cars in the world

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Who opens a boot like that in the rain?

You open and close as quick as you can

Open the doors of a Lamborghini in the rain and see the rain piss in

That's not a design flaw

Of course it isn't a flaw

It never rains in Europe or many countries in the World.

And sure who wants to use the boot anyway.....

I did find one bit strange, what way do you open the boot in rain?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    True but honestly it's no big deal

Tesla have to be the most scrutinised cars in the world

I had a mondeo, 08, the hatch back version. It had a issue similar to this

It was a big deal, when I was selling the car it was first thing guy said to me, he had read about it online as a huge design flaw

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I had a mondeo, 08, the hatch back version. It had a issue similar to this

It was a big deal, when I was selling the car it was first thing guy said to me, he had read about it online as a huge design flaw

Agree

Its not good, but all manufacturers get things wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Was in the Kia dealers during the week and he told me that there had been a dealer meeting at which they were told there would be no eNiro here until 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ei9go wrote: »
    Was in the Kia dealers during the week and he told me that there had been a dealer meeting at which they were told there would be no eNiro here until 2020!

My local dealer was saying last November that 2020 would be the time for first registrations. The problem for Kia is that it might just be coming up against the VW offerings then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

ei9go wrote:

Jasus, I was on to a dealer trying to buy one in October 2018 as it had been officially released in a Motor show that month. That's almost an 18 month wait from "releasing" a car to being able to buy one here!!

Advertisement