Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids. Yes or no ?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

no

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Always thought I would have them when I was younger but I'm 43 now and if it doesn't happen in the next few years I think I will be too old to become a father.

I was the opposite.. was never a "must have", I wasn't really a "kids" kinda person when I was younger, and had pretty much decided it wasn't going to happen anyway, and then in my late 30s...

I'll be honest.. it wasn't planned and I wasn't ready (the practicalities of money, job security - recession was only starting to lift and I'd already been made redundant once - and the distance at the time really worried me) and having never really been around young kids (no nephews/nieces etc) and no dad of my own around (kicked out when I was 7), I was very worried about how I'd handle it and what kind of parent I'd be (mam wasn't exactly a great example either).

But I managed. It wasn't easy (still isn't at times), but I found having a little fella to provide for and think of really focused me in terms of work and advancement (you're not as inclined to put up with the nonsense because of the social aspects you enjoy for example), and the whole experience has really changed me (for the better I hope).

If I could go back and change it, I genuinely wouldn't. He's the best thing that's ever happened and that "love you Daddy" and hugs makes all the worry and sacrifices worthwhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I suppose I never really thought about it when young, all I seen was pay day and partying, going away at weekends etc. I lived alone from 17. Loved the life. Then had a kid at 21 (Have two now). Everything went through my head, life change, cant feck off fishing when I want, can't up and go abroad to Formula1 when i want etc. Eldest now 8, and comes with me 😀. Me and there mum still going strong too. Life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having children can make a person who was previously liberal or centrist in their political outlook more conservative and right-wing.

Do any boards parents agree with this statement?

God no, quite the opposite in fact. The older I get the less I care about what other people want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Im 35 now - still dont want kids :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Always thought I would have them when I was younger but I'm 43 now and if it doesn't happen in the next few years I think I will be too old to become a father.

My dad was 50 when I was born. I'm the eldest. When I was young, I think I might have a been a bit self-conscious that he was a bit older than other dads. That was just me though - he was a great dad when we were little, always bringing us places and playing with us. Now he's in his 80's and he's getting to do it all over again with his granddaughter. It's really got little to do with age and more to do with outlook. There's guys I work with who are barely into their 30s and act like joyless old farts and are brutal Dickens-esque disciplinarians with their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

jooksavage wrote: »
    My dad was 50 when I was born. I'm the eldest. When I was young, I think I might have a been a bit self-conscious that he was a bit older than other dads. That was just me though - he was a great dad when we were little, always bringing us places and playing with us. Now he's in his 80's and he's getting to do it all over again with his granddaughter. It's really got little to do with age and more to do with outlook. There's guys I work with who are barely into their 30s and act like joyless old farts and are brutal Dickens-esque disciplinarians with their kids.

I can relate to that situation as well, my own father was 57 when I was born.

Advertisement