Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

a clanger wrote: »
    Sorry to be pain any recommendations for a 12V PCU

Would THIS be OK ?

Wouldn't recommend; not sufficiently powerful.

Maybe something like this would do
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/12v-5a-power-supply/mt5jo2jtaysz8xs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I have just purchased a Tiviar Alpha Plus which is running the following

System OE: OE-Alliance 4.0
    Firmware version: OpenATV 6.0.0 (2017-10-15)
    Kernel / Drivers: 4.10.6 / 20171016

I see lots of folks on here who have used a build provided by NewClareMan (Thanks for your time and generosity) and I was wondering if there would be a benefit in upgrading my STB to this build? If yes, there is a post that gives the steps involved in performing the upgrade? Would it give me FreeSat and Saorview on the same channel list?

I am familiar with Linux but not familiar with STBs so if there was a step by step guide it would be great for a first timer to STB upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I have just purchased a Tiviar Alpha Plus which is running the following

System OE: OE-Alliance 4.0
    Firmware version: OpenATV 6.0.0 (2017-10-15)
    Kernel / Drivers: 4.10.6 / 20171016

I see lots of folks on here who have used a build provided by NewClareMan (Thanks for your time and generosity) and I was wondering if there would be a benefit in upgrading my STB to this build? If yes, there is a post that gives the steps involved in performing the upgrade? Would it give me FreeSat and Saorview on the same channel list?

I am familiar with Linux but not familiar with STBs so if there was a step by step guide it would be greatl for a first timer to STB upgrades.

If you look at the link at the first post on this thread, it gives everything you need.

For others reading this thread: the instructions at that link work on OpenATV6.0, but not more recent versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Sorry this has probably been asked and answered, but I don't know how to find it.
    What size external hard drive do i need for recording TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

kig wrote: »
    Sorry this has probably been asked and answered, but I don't know how to find it.
    What size external hard drive do i need for recording TV
    A rough rule of thumb is to allow 4Gb for every hour of HD recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

kig, the tiviar takes an internal 2.5 IN HDD, better option, and 500gb is a good choice and better still if you get an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Wouldn't recommend; not sufficiently powerful.

Maybe something like this would do
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/12v-5a-power-supply/mt5jo2jtaysz8xs

Thanks for the help @johnboy1951

@Tommyknocker . Yes saorview and freesat on same epg. I have been using NCM image since 2019 and its been great and straightforward and upgrading flashing the image is strightforard if you follow the instructions at linked in post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Thanks for the help @johnboy1951

@Tommyknocker . Yes saorview and freesat on same epg. I have been using NCM image since 2019 and its been great and straightforward and upgrading flashing the image is strightforard if you follow the instructions at linked in post above.
    Do the instructions in this post still work today as post is from 2 years ago.

Instructions are

Flashing
    Place the tiviaraplus folder on a USB stick formatted to FAT32. A stick no larger than 8GB is recommended.
    Turn the receiver off fully.
    Plug in the USB fob to the front USB port, and power on.
    Press the power button (the one with the white light on the front panel, when prompted to do so.
    The front panel will show flashing, if USB recognised.
    While the firmware is flashing DO NOT power down the unit, as this can cause permanent damage.
    Comprehensive Flashing Guide http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-bui...r%20Alpha+.pdf (Thanks to THHB)

The software is provided without warranty and you use it at your own risk. smile.png
    Picons
    The picon folder has to be installed on your hard drive directory /media/hdd/.
    On a Windows PC this can be done from the network folder as Samba makes the Tiviar Alphaplus drives visible.
    If the WebIF is working, but the drives are not visible, Samba may have stopped.
    Restart under: Main Menu => Setup => Network => CIFS/Samba Setup.

But in the downloadable .zip file there is no picons folder.

As said above, no experience with STB so just don't want to brick the box I just bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

Tommy this thread is for the image made by THE HIGH HORSE BRIGADE (THB) and your link is from the NEW CLAREMANS image in the thread entitled "COST EFFECTIVE etc"

Don't mix and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Hey all,

My setup...
    Running THHB's image.
    Open ATV 6.1 + internal SSD hard disk installed.
    2 sat feeds and an aerial feed connected - all working fine.

I have random problems with pausing live TV. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I am pressing the 'Time' button which is under the green button on the remote control. Sometimes a program will pause, sometimes it won't and instead displays the screen in the second pic below, this is very frustrating:mad: Sometimes changing a channel which I cannot pause and then going back to the channel will allow me to pause it. Can anyone offer an explanation of why this is happening please?

Paused correctly
    523800.jpg

Not pausing and this pops up on screen.
    523801.jpg

Cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I was out for weekend and came back this evening and my box is dead. Tried different power sockets and joy so I popped the cover off and noticed what seems like a capisator is gone by what seems like a leak? I could be wrong. Is it possible to get a new power board?

I was out for weekend and came back this evening and my box is dead. Tried different power sockets and joy so I popped the cover off and noticed what seems like a capisator is gone by what seems like a leak? I could be wrong. Is it possible to get a new power board?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Payton wrote: »

If that is 'goo' rather than some glue then it appears there are three (or four) caps needing replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Stick up a photo as could be helpfull.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Stick up a photo as could be helpfull.
    Photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Sorry to be pain any recommendations for a 12V PCU

Would THIS be OK ?
    It should be ok.
    The original psu is rated at 4.5A but I never measured the draw from it when the box is recording to the hard drive which I suspect would be max. I repaired another Tiviar yesterday that had dead PSU. I popped a 5A one into it and wired directly. It looks like a PSU for a laptop but is a 12V. It might be worth noting that depending on the PSU that you try some might not like the initial surge when you apply the mains with the output connected directly so I use the rear switch to apply the 12V dc to the main board. Plug in the mains and then use the switch to bring the box on.
    I intend to sort out the original PSU's when I get time and post the outcome so don't throw away your faulty PSU's.

Odd brown stuff around many caps and wonder if the big one went.I would have thought when caps go they bulge up.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Odd brown stuff around many caps and wonder if the big one went.I would have thought when caps go they bulge up.
    Looks like the black cap near the top left looks distorted as you can see from the top.

Photo attached

That's glue that has discolored with heat and time. No need to wory about it. Back in the 80's this caused a problem with some JVC VCR's. I found that it became conductive over time and caused problems with the system control IC's. Later on a service bulletin was released from JVC advising service engineers to remove the glue to cure some faults.

Ahh yes as had to move laptop screen for better view and see top is funny.
    Wonder if that brown stuff is interlinked with the issues.

• Advertisement

Looks like the black cap near the top left looks distorted as you can see from the top.

That's not a cap, it's an inductor covered with heat shrink. It's vertically mounted and what you think is a bulge is in fact one of the wires running down the side to connect to the PCB.

hs5424 wrote: »
    That's not a cap, it's an inductor covered with heat shrink. It's vertically mounted and what you think is a bulge is in fact one of the wires running down the side to connect to the PCB.
    Thank you for that. Is there anything I could try to establish what the fault could be?

Hi Payton,
    Unless you have a meter to measure the value of the capacitors they you are shooting in the dark. The easiest thing is to connect a 12V 5A PSU in there. You can even confirm by substituting the PSU with an alarm or car battery. Any 12v source that can deliver 4.5A is enough. Car battery can deliver 300A so don't get the polarity wrong if you try car battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Strange. It seems several people are having similar issues suddenly

Strange. It seems several people are having similar issues suddenly

Yes.
    No surprise to me as I have been servicing down to component level for 35 years . In recent days with storms etc there has been a lot of power cuts, spikes and surges. Most power supplies go faulty at switch on. I have seen gear running fine for 10 years + and I arrive to say remove the TV for repair. I remove the power from their satellite box by mistake and then it won't power up. Try and explain that to the customer. If the caps in the startup circuit go low in value for example at power up when they are only required they you get a problem. With older switch mode power supplies you would get a bang and a puff of smoke at startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi guys, just got hold of one of these, first look seems a nice "not so little" box, one quick question can you disable the light slashes on the front or is it a case of black electricians tape (its in the bedroom at the moment). I've been in the display settings and reduced all the brightness settings to 0 but no change. Thanks

mjatkey wrote: »
    Hi guys, just got hold of one of these, first look seems a nice "not so little" box, one quick question can you disable the light slashes on the front or is it a case of black electricians tape (its in the bedroom at the moment). I've been in the display settings and reduced all the brightness settings to 0 but no change. Thanks

Yes you can dim the front display. I have vix on all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭NewClareman

mjatkey wrote: »

You can't dim the lights if you have changed over to enigma 2 (OpenATV, Vix...). If you're still using Fortis OS, I think you can. Otherwise it's some tape, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

hs5424 wrote: »
    It should be ok.
    The original psu is rated at 4.5A but I never measured the draw from it when the box is recording to the hard drive which I suspect would be max. I repaired another Tiviar yesterday that had dead PSU. I popped a 5A one into it and wired directly. It looks like a PSU for a laptop but is a 12V. It might be worth noting that depending on the PSU that you try some might not like the initial surge when you apply the mains with the output connected directly so I use the rear switch to apply the 12V dc to the main board. Plug in the mains and then use the switch to bring the box on.
    I intend to sort out the original PSU's when I get time and post the outcome so don't throw away your faulty PSU's.

I've ordered a laptop PSU from ebay and will take your advice with regard to using the back switch as a 12V on/off. It will be generally be a spit/bodge and tape job but will see how it goes. I think there is now a market for repairing Tiviar PSU's ......if you are interested hs5424:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mjatkey

Thanks, yeap running enigma, seems na ok box will put it down stairs next to the Edision OS mega to compare the picture, speed etc. Thanks

Advertisement