Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus - Dead after powered off for a week

Options
  • 15-08-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi folks,

This is the third time this has happened and wondering if anyone has experienced the same or suggestions, please;

Tiviar Alpha Plus unit, about a year old.

When going on holidays, I remove power to the unit by switching off the anti-surge extension lead (Monster PowerCenter) at the wall. On return I turn back on the power, the unit will not show any sign of power, no lights, no HDD spin up, etc.

In the past two times with an combination of unplugging/flicking the power switches, the Tiviar came back to life. No real pattern.Once the unit comes back to life, there is no issue.

This time no combination of attempts will power on the unit, currently dead.

Thoughts on what could be causing this and what I should investigate/troubleshoot to fix, please?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

Take power lead out from back of box and push it back in firmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,277 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

swoofer wrote: »
    Take power lead out from back of box and push it back in firmly.

Or try power lead from similar device, could be fuse in plug gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭endeval

Tried a different power lead and power source. Will try brute force (though I never touched the power lead when shutting down).

Hard push of power plug, no joy.

I opened the unit and first glance I see significant deposits of brown material on the power supply board.

I assume/hope this is excessive assembly glue as opposed to a capacitor leak (never saw a cap do that)?
    523070.jpg
    523071.jpg
    523072.jpg

Thoughts?

yes thats normal, its a while since i opened mine, wiggle that power lead and do on off at front,

• Advertisement

The power supply board is getting constant 240V power to the on/off switch and the switch is working.

The output power to the main board 12V / 4.5A is missing, according to my multimeter.
    Unless the something in the board which senses trickle power and has a relay to boot, it seems the Power Supply Board is shot?

Question for those with units - once you flick the power switch on at the back, does the unit boot automatically or require pressing the on/off button at the front (one of the illuminated white switches) ?

If it's the Power Supply Board - is it possible to get parts for these?

Thanks
    J

That's a bummer, if you got box from WORLD OF SAT you have a 2 year guarantee. I am sure I saw a post on here where someone who provides these boxes has a workaround the power failure will have a look as day goes on and may find it.

Just to add I had a spare box in loft and left there for a few months, when plugged in dead as a door nail,so opened it, checked HDD ie took off leads, and then undid power lead, in fact I am sure I use a different one, each time I powered it up I used rocker switch at back and eventually it came back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

endeval wrote: »
    The power supply board is getting constant 240V power to the on/off switch and the switch is working.

The output power to the main board 12V / 4.5A is missing, according to my multimeter.
    Unless the something in the board which senses trickle power and has a relay to boot, it seems the Power Supply Board is shot?

Question for those with units - once you flick the power switch on at the back, does the unit boot automatically or require pressing the on/off button at the front (one of the illuminated white switches) ?

If it's the Power Supply Board - is it possible to get parts for these?

Thanks
    J

It's a fairly common issue with power supplies, especially on devices that are plugged in 24/7 and the turned off for a while. Most likely culprit is the capacitors on that board, given there are not many on it and they are cheap you could just replace them all (or any that look bulged at top or bottom). Brown stuff is glue.

Obvious disclaimer: plug it out first and leave for a few hours , don't do it if you can't solder, get someone who can. The capacitors have a +and - side so don't mix them up or they will pop especially that big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Mods can move this if it's in the wrong forum.
    This is a long shot, has any one got the firmware (sathunter RM001) for the Promax prodig 1 as it is no longer available on the Promax site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Thanks swoofer but that software is not for my instrument. Not to worry I think I may have sourced it from a colleague

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Since Storm Ellen , my tiviar is having power issue.

It wouldnt boot up at first so switched off and on at back of box. Now it is dropping power, it will turn on for a few minutes then loose power completely and reboot .

Any suggestions to fix or is it lost cause ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Just FYI I had/have the same problem with my Tiviar where it would not power on. I simply had to leave it for anything up to 20 mins and it would 'decide' itself when to power up!. It has now developed into rebooting/crashing/freezing at daily intervals. The best explanation from the forums is the crap PSU. I'm in the process of replacing it.

discussion on PSU replacement HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I have exactly the same issue with mine now.
    I've left it powered off in the attic for the bones of a month and now it won't power on at all.

Edit: so after powering on and off at the rocker switch for 5 mins it is now booting up ok.

Here's my ps 20200823-180515.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Looks like my box is dead also. I'll get a multimeter from work today and take out the power board and see if I can see what's happening with it.
    Not a happy bunny considering it's about 2 yrs old.

Payton wrote: »
    Looks like my box is dead also. I'll get a multimeter from work today and take out the power board and see if I can see what's happening with it.
    Not a happy bunny considering it's about 2 yrs old.

Mine is 2 years old since the start of August.
    Can't get it to power on again.

I have an Amiko Alien that's around 7 years old still running fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The common thread appears to be that they come back to life after being left powered on for a while. That makes the capacitors they most likely cause of failure. (Some types of electrolytic capacitor can degrade, especially when not powered on. They then can 'heal', temporarily, when power is supplied for a period of time.)

Sometimes a capacitor can bulge, if it is damaged, but not always. If it were me I'd look at replacing all the capacitors, if one fails they are all suspect. Capacitors can be got from the likes of Farnell, in Ireland. If you have the time to wait they can be got online for way less.

Another source is if you know someone getting rid of a reasonably new item of electronics, such as a TV. I have a couple of circuit boards that I use for cannibalising.

If you are replacing them, I would suggest soldering to the leads of the old ones, rather than removing them. It won't look pretty but avoids any risk to the pcb, if you're not used to working with them. Be very careful to connect them the correct way around (+ to + and - to -). If reversed they can pop with enough force to damage an eye. This is not hypothetical - I once saw one hit the ceiling, just missing the eye of the apprentice building the project.

Just saw emaherx'S post, sorry for the duplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

endeval wrote: »
    523072.jpg

Thoughts?

Is that water deposit on the brown glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Well as was stated above my box has come back to life!! Let's see how long it lasts.

Mine powered on once, hasn't powered on since.

I'm not familiar with soldering and it's out of warranty by a couple of weeks so might need to bin it.

Very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

cork_south wrote: »
    might need to bin it.

Very disappointing.

That would be disappointing - there are many here, I'm sure, (myself included) who would happily take it off your hands. :)

I powered mine off and on again this morning as a test and there was a spark followed by a smell of burn from the power supply. The box still won't power on.

Opened the box back up now but am not seeing any obvious damage to the power supply.

As previously pointed out there has been a discussion on the faulty PSU on THIS thread. I have replaced mine and the box is working fine again. It was replaced with a laptop PSU from amazon so a little bodging is required.

Hi all,
    Update on mine.

I dropped mine into a Cork AV repair company about 3 weeks back.
    They are waiting on a specific power regulator which was blown. Seemingly slow to get.

I'll ask for more info when I collect (hope next week).

Thanks
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

ESB was off today for 8 hours and I had turned the unit fully off prior to electricity going, now it will not power up.

Will follow "a clanger" method re psu and see how I get on.

Just as a follow up its been 3 weeks and The Tiviar has been humming along. All the issues (freezing/rebooting/missing epg/switching on!) have been resolved. It also runs much cooler than with the original PCU.

Hi all,
    I followed the recommendations and thanks a_Clanger for the pics - I replaced the inhouse PSU with a laptop PSU.
    Running fine for a few hours.

(OK, I did try a OpenVIX update and it's in a software boot loop so have to flash it :) - )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Went looking for the fix but must have been withdrawn .

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Couldn't find these instructions, the link is dead. Any ideas where I could find it? Searched through the main Tiviar thread too, no luck there either.

Is it just a case of swapping out the entire brown coloured power supply board and connecting in a laptop PSU to the 12v and ground terminals for example?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

i haven't done this, but from memory...

You replace the psu board with a standalone PSU of at least 5A. In doing this take care to join all the +ve cables together and all the -ve wires together.

It appears that the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply fail. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can replace these. The easiest way is to snip off the capacitors leaving the leads in place. You can then solder the replacement to the leads, avoids having to desolder the leads from the PCB, which can cause damage, if you're not experienced. If doing this be VERY careful to observe polarity - I.e. connect the replacement the correct way around.

Advertisement