Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is your hdd setup correctly and mounted as ext4.
    If you have a usb also in use make sure size is listed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

greasepalm wrote: »
    If you record saorview on box you cannot view another on box but should be able to use tv.
    Or get a splitter and feed box and tv and then they have their own feeds.

Can you not view another channel on the same mux from which it is recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Had a look there gp. Using same HDD for 2 yrs now without a bother. Looking into it I see an option to change from ext3 to ext4. I assume that would format and I'd have to put all my stuff on another drive to backup beforehand.

All along I've had a 16GB USB 3.0 for picons and crossepg. Swapped it for a 4GB the other day and it's still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

teach nua wrote: »
    it has just dawned on me now that I need to use tv remote to switch tv source from HDMI (fed from TA box) to saorview feed. The tv is only looking to the HDMI feed from the TA box at the minute which only has its own single tuner available to it. This is annoying!..trying to use one remote only as much as possible

Hi there, You can do exactly as you wish (record on one Saorvoiew channel while watching another from the same MUX) by purchasing a USB DVB-T2 Tuner (Enigma2 & PC). I purchased one a few months back on Amazon for stg£34. I've gone back in to the order but the exact item is no longer available. Freetv.ie used to stock them too but i cant currently find them there either.
    I did find an item that looks similar but buyer beware i'm afraid it may not be exactly the same item with the same chipset. Once you plug it in, connect the aerial from the loop out of the Tiviar, download the plugins for it, it will appear as an extra tuner and eliminate the issues your having. Here is the link for the 'similar' item but as I say your taking a chance. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anmyox-Portable-Receiver-Antenna-Control/dp/B0761L81CK/

Might be worth ringing Freetv.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

When recording saorview channel on TA box tonight, I was unable to watch any other saorview channels. Message said no tuner free.

I have saorview feed into TA box and rf out cable from box to aerial input on tv. The tv has a built in saorview tuner. I thought I woulf have had no problem recording one saorview channel while watching another with my setup. Is there a particular setting I should be applying to the TA box?

No you dont need any settings to acheive this. Do you have a live Saorview picture on your TV, ie not the box parked on Saorview but watching Saorview via the TV tuner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭NewClareman

it has just dawned on me now that I need to use tv remote to switch tv source from HDMI (fed from TA box) to saorview feed. The tv is only looking to the HDMI feed from the TA box at the minute which only has its own single tuner available to it. This is annoying!..trying to use one remote only as much as possible
    robbKer wrote: »
    Hi there, You can do exactly as you wish (record on one Saorvoiew channel while watching another from the same MUX) by purchasing a USB DVB-T2 Tuner (Enigma2 & PC). I purchased one a few months back on Amazon for stg£34. I've gone back in to the order but the exact item is no longer available. Freetv.ie used to stock them too but i cant currently find them there either.
    I did find an item that looks similar but buyer beware i'm afraid it may not be exactly the same item with the same chipset. Once you plug it in, connect the aerial from the loop out of the Tiviar, download the plugins for it, it will appear as an extra tuner and eliminate the issues your having. Here is the link for the 'similar' item but as I say your taking a chance. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anmyox-Portable-Receiver-Antenna-Control/dp/B0761L81CK/

If you're only interested in the Saorview channels any dongle based on the RTL2832U Chipset will work, once you install the driver. This is an example from Amazon. Cheaper ones are available on eBay or AliExpress.

With the limited channels on saorview,might you find another one,at least on sat you had a chance of 4 or 5 on the same tp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

If you can't watch one Saorview channel while recording any Saorview channel you wish to, then this box does not have a Twin Tuner

If you can't watch one Saorview channel while recording any Saorview channel you wish to, then this box does not have a Twin Tuner

Twin sat and single Saorview tuner and i can record on box and view on tv if needed.

i refer to my previous post above where it is possible to make this box have a twin dvb t tuner as well as the twin dvb s tuners.

• Advertisement

i refer to my previous post above where it is possible to make this box have a twin dvb t tuner as well as the twin dvb s tuners.

Possible if your drivers are in the plugins feed then your usb tuner will work.I wish they had more channels that worked as it would have been worth it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

With the limited channels on saorview,might you find another one,at least on sat you had a chance of 4 or 5 on the same tp.

I don't understand this reply.

Is that a 'yes' or a 'no' to my question?

Thanks.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Possible if your drivers are in the plugins feed then your usb tuner will work.I wish they had more channels that worked as it would have been worth it then.

Hi greasepalm,
    What channels are not working.

hs5424 wrote: »
    Hi greasepalm,
    What channels are not working.

Saorview has how many channels about 8 or 9
    Freeview Uk has way way more was my point and buying a second tuner dvb/t/t2 usb would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

yes, i might look into this, was worried first that I would not be able to watch saorview ch. at all while recording another saorview ch

my TA box seems to have frozen while installing movieorganisor plugin (from techkings website)

i'm running latest openvix and had put the plugin in tmp folder using filezilla

the tmp folder seemed to be the only one where I had the option to go and install from.
    Box went through the motions and asked to restart, hit ok, but now im just looking at screen with openvix and '92' on the front panel.

do i need to just knock off power and restart this way...bit worried now :(?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

My freeview terrestrial stations are all jumbled. I’ve changed nothing and when I restart the box it fixes it for awhile but it goes back to jumbled after a while.

Anyone seen this before and know what the issue is?

I’m wondering if the aerial has moved a bit during one of the storms.

TIA

Kagawa wrote: »
    My freeview terrestrial stations are all jumbled. I’ve changed nothing and when I restart the box it fixes it for awhile but it goes back to jumbled after a while.

Anyone seen this before and know what the issue is?

I’m wondering if the aerial has moved a bit during one of the storms.

TIA

I'd hazard a guess that its your AutoBouquet maker, probably some of the settings for the AutoBouqet maker aren't quite as they should be.....its a bit of a minefield so I'd be suggesting doing a reflash, sounds drastic but at least youd know the settings are fully correct then....

some EPG programme titles are truncated, e.g., real housewives of orange county appears as 'real housewives..' and real housewives of Dallas also appears this way.

trust me this is a serious issue!

any ideas if there are setting I can adjust to fix this?

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

What channel is that on?

swoofer wrote: »
    What channel is that on?

I'd have to check latet but I think it's ITV, although I remember when trying to set auto timer, other channels were also not showing the full programme name

You can rest easy its the way the epg is set up I found it on ITVBE and its the same on other boxes. It does tell you when you select the one that does not say dallas. But with automtimer that could be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Autotimers can be configured for specific channels, days of week, time-spans etc. There is also an option to check that the description is unique for each show, however that can cause problems because lazy broadcasters just reuse the same one each time.

Autotimers can be configured for specific channels, days of week, time-spans etc. There is also an option to check that the description is unique for each show, however that can cause problems because lazy broadcasters just reuse the same one each time.

when I browse the EPG I can see part of the name in the 'grid' e.g., 'real housewives of..' and the remainder of the name is with the epg overview description of that particular episode (in the top right of the screen), in my case, 'of orange county'. So I know in the grid which version of 'real housewives' I am selecting.

When I then go ahead and select autotimer, as you said you can see a unique description for what you want to record, in my case the unique description is 'real housewives of..' Do I know if there is a more detailed 'tag' for want of a better word behind this truncated name that I can see and that 'real housewives of orange county' will be recorded as this is the one that I set my autotimer through? or will it just record all versions of 'real housewives of..' as this text appears in all versions of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Using the WEBIF select the autotimer you wish to edit. At the bottom there is an option to enable filtering. Set this to include the required terms (Orange County) in the Short description.

525969.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    Havung a bit of trouble. Not sure if hard ware or software. Hope someone can shed a light.

A few weeks ago I hit "record" for something. Got message saying "Cannot record. Hard drive full", despite there being over 400G free out of a TB. I'd do a reboot and everything would be fine. It's starting to happen a bit more often. As well as that the picons and EGP info are only coming up for some channels.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    Had a look there gp. Using same HDD for 2 yrs now without a bother. Looking into it I see an option to change from ext3 to ext4. I assume that would format and I'd have to put all my stuff on another drive to backup beforehand.

All along I've had a 16GB USB 3.0 for picons and crossepg. Swapped it for a 4GB the other day and it's still happening.

An update on this.

I did a settings restore to back to march. It seems to be working fine now, except only random picons are showing up. I've them on two mem sticks but the result is the same. I'm trying to find a setting for "picons" but can't find them.

On another note.

. I'm on THHB image using Open Atv 6.2. Should I upgrade to 6.3?

Using the WEBIF select the autotimer you wish to edit. At the bottom there is an option to enable filtering. Set this to include the required terms (Orange County) in the Short description.

525969.jpg

looks like what I need exactly..will give it a go..thanks

"An update on this.

I did a settings restore to back to march. It seems to be working fine now, except only random picons are showing up. I've them on two mem sticks but the result is the same. I'm trying to find a setting for "picons" but can't find them.

On another note.

. I'm on THHB image using Open Atv 6.2. Should I upgrade to 6.3?"

You have probably got corrupted software so best bet would be start from scratch with THHB image but note use the very latest one on this thread. However flashing the Tiviar can be a bind so go slow and use a good usb stick. The picons are held on the HDD and its usual for a few to be missing.

Upgrading to 6.3 will just be an upgrade and usually for people who use a lot of plugins as old images sometimes wont load them. I have tivair on 2 boxes with 6.1 and 6.2 still perfect but dont do a lot of pausing etc.

Make sure box is nice and cool ie well ventilated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

So last Saturday, i decieded i needed a new skin.
    (Before i downloaded the new skin, I saved all my software settings as per the blue button.)

After the Tiviar restarted, i did not like the skin, so tried to revert back to the old settings and now nothing is available when I press the blue button.

Completely Blank,

So I cannot revert back, the epg is there, and all my recording do not swow, when i press the option to watch them.

I can watch TV, all channels are still on their old numbers.

Any ideas on how to get back to my old settings please ?

Advertisement