Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Suckit wrote: »
    No mention of any fine in any of the articles that I read, so it looks like that's that.

The ASAI never issue fines anyway.
    It just upholds voluntary codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The ASAI never issue fines anyway.
    It just upholds voluntary codes.

Yeah, they probably do not have the authority. (I don't know). But somebody should fine them.
    Is there anything from stopping her doing it again, or Rimmel from approving another influencers touched photo?

Do it, make money, convince followers it was a mistake, rinse and repeat.

Dove Launches Global 'No Digital Distortion Mark' Campaign

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/dove-launches-the-no-digital-distortion-mark-851278.html
    Beginning in July 2018, Dove is taking another step in ensuring beauty is a source of confidence and not anxiety with the launch of a 'No Digital Distortion Mark'.
    The Mark will roll out across all branded content globally beginning in July with deodorant campaigns leading the initiative. By January 2, 2019, the mark will be incorporated into all static imagery showcasing women, across print, digital and social and will represent that the image is not distorted.
    Dove will be held accountable to only show accurate and genuine portrayals of people, showing them how they are in real life.
    The ambition of the Mark is to help women and girls navigate the media landscape letting them know that the image they see has not been digitally distorted to fit the ideals of what beauty is and isn't....

https://www.checkout.ie/unilever-takes-stand-digital-medias-fake-followers-2/61163

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is there anything from stopping her doing it again, or Rimmel from approving another influencers touched photo?
    To be honest I don't think there is. A filter or a bit of photsoshopping does really fall into false advertising.

However honesty and integrity comes into play. If an influencer or a brand is known for photoshopping their images quite heavily, then it affects how consumers perceive them.
    In this example, if Rimmel continued using heavily photoshopped images when advertising foundations and became known in the industry for doing it, do you think people are going to continue buying their foundation knowing that the coverage, finish etc is not as they advertise it.

Consumers don't doubt that a bit of photoshop and tidying up does happen in advertising. But when you have someone who has been vocal about her struggles with acne and her skin, to then show a seemingly flawless face from a light to medium coverage foundation, it's taking it too far IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Some Blogger getting hammered on BLoggersunveiled for slating some old guy who was working out on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Floppybits wrote: »
    Some Blogger getting hammered on BLoggersunveiled for slating some old guy who was working out on the beach.

Who is it? BU will never accept my follow request for some reason :(

JaMarcus wrote: »

What did you do on BU that they won't accept your request. The bloggers name is [font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@juliaholbanel[/font][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]  I have never heard of them but seemingly she posted a video on her instagram of some old guy working out on the beach and she was taking the mickey out of him on the video.  BU called her out on it and the comments are flying in. :)[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Some young wan called Juliaholbanel.
    She's made her profile private now though so you can't see it but fitfamfailures had it up aswell.

What did you do on BU that they won't accept your request.

Didn't do anything! My account is complete empty, only signed up to follow that page. Maybe they think I'm a blogger trying to see what they're posting!

viv2 wrote: »

Some young wan called Juliaholbanel.
    She's made her profile private now though so you can't see it but fitfamfailures had it up aswell.
    I see on some of the comments on BU that this Julia one was going out in the sun with Olive Oil on to get a good tan, Is that true? Cant believe in this day an age someone would do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

BloggersUnveiled and FitfamFailures are the best thing that happened to Social Media.
    I dont understand how people are calling the people behind these pages "bullies", how are the bullies exactly ?
    Calling someone out for photoshopping themselves to bits!

Before these pages surfaced, i use to follow all these so called "influencers", Then when these pages came along and spilled the beans i unfollowed every single one of them and feel 10 times more confident in myself.
    Im a girl in her early 20's so these influencers really did effect me, saying to myself "This is how i should look" or "im not feeling comfortable in my body" all because of these people. These pages have helped me learn to be confident in myself and im sure they've helped thousands of other girls out there too.

Im 100% for these caller-outers!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

They wont accept your request if you profile is on private.
    I requested to follow at least 20 times, I had to make mine public in order for them to accept me

I see on some of the comments on BU that this Julia one was going out in the sun with Olive Oil on to get a good tan, Is that true? Cant believe in this day an age someone would do that.

Yes she did. She also made some joke about being autistic.

Yes she did. She also made some joke about being autistic.
    Yeah I just seen the autistic comment. :O This one has no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

JaMarcus wrote:
    Didn't do anything! My account is complete empty, only signed up to follow that page. Maybe they think I'm a blogger trying to see what they're posting!

She doesn't accept accounts that have no followers or posts as someone has been buying followers for her, in a bid to make it look like she's buying followers :) send her a message so she knows you're not a bot.

That's my productivity gone now, looking a FitFam Failures.  :)

rawn wrote: »
    She doesn't accept accounts that have no followers or posts as someone has been buying followers for her, in a bid to make it look like she's buying followers :) send her a message so she knows you're not a bot.

I don't think I can send her a message unless I'm a follower. So I'm kinda stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Did anyone see RMC's piece on blogging in Ireland?

Couldn't get over this bit:

It is exceptionally rare that you will make a living from your blog – even Ireland’s biggest names, Pippa O’Connor and Suzanne Jackson, are subsidising their blogging income with appearances, product lines and more. If it was possible to make millions sitting at home behind a laptop, don’t you think we’d all be doing it? (I, for one, would never leave the house!)

Poor Pippa and Suzanne, must be such a struggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Yeah, no concept that the blog is the enabler for the opportunity to launch a product or flog workshops and appearances and endorsements...

GavMan wrote: »
    Yeah, no concept that the blog is the enabler for the opportunity to launch a product or flog workshops and appearances and endorsements...

Exactly, it's not that they're doing it to make a living as she implies, it's capitalising on the success of their blogs. Also she mentions making millions, most people don't need to make millions to make a living.

• Advertisement

She also seems to refer to many blogs as though they are writers/journalists.

Many of them write the minimum amount possible, caption their photographs or product and maybe the odd slanted review.

Also, quick question, did she ever work for the Irish Times? :rolleyes:
    I ask because she only mentioned it three times in that article as opposed to the standard 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She wrote for the property section. A copy and paste job basically.

Oh not forgetting this amazing piece on what to wear for Halloween

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/don-t-be-a-square-this-halloween-be-a-rubik-s-cube-instead-1.668432%3fmode=amp

Is there no independent media left here? It seems anyone working in the media will not ask tough questions of anyone and if they do they are usually staged.

Has anybody wrote an article questioning the carry on of these "social influencers"? All i can see are articles giving them the poor me like the one above and the one a coupe of weeks ago where the social influencer had to take to the bed for weeks because BU said they didn't need to touch up their pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Poor Pippa and Suzanne, must be such a struggle!

When did Pippa or Suzanne last write a blog post themselves? They ain't depending on blog posts to fund their lifestyles.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    When did Pippa or Suzanne last write a blog post themselves? They ain't depending on blog posts to fund their lifestyles.

Yes, exactly

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Is Pippa the one that does the cooking or is that another one? I often wonder do they have someone do the cooking for them and then just do the end bit making it look like they do it all.

Is Pippa the one that does the cooking or is that another one? I often wonder do they have someone do the cooking for them and then just do the end bit making it look like they do it all.

Pippa is the one with the jeans and candles.

Pippa is the one with the jeans and candles.

The jeans and candles that she's selling to subsidise her paltry income according to RMC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's Roz Purcell ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

She also seems to refer to many blogs as though they are writers/journalists.

Many of them write the minimum amount possible, caption their photographs or product and maybe the odd slanted review.

Also, quick question, did she ever work for the Irish Times? :rolleyes:
    I ask because she only mentioned it three times in that article as opposed to the standard 4.

That article is hilarious.... By her constant banging on about "her journalism" thought she was some kinda up and coming war corespondent in the making, i may have over-estimated her.

Advertisement