Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x10 – "Despite Yourself" [** SPOILERS **]

Options
  • 08-01-2018 3:34am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Since my sleep pattern is messed up....

Well, that's some fan theories confirmed, others shot down. But the really unexpected twist
    well, that was the one for Culber.

I had expected a single mirror universe ep, they seem to have bought into it far more than I expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Enjoyed it and it's not a cringefest like the other mirror universe episodes.
    I'd say a lot of those who don't like Tilly will change their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hate to see the good doc go, decent character. Having just watched Ryker steal the Defiant earlier today this was some timing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3/4 through
    :eek:

brb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

God ****ing damnit, that was amazing.

Wow, that
    killing Culber scene came as a shock
    !

The whole episode was really good.

I guess the
    next few episodes, maybe the season, will play out in the mirror universe.

Cool to see the nod to Star Trek: Enterprise with
    the USS Defiant from their mirror universe episode.

So like, I guess it might be
    that we'll see the Discovery get to the Defian or find out about it and then maybe go after the Tholians to make a wormhole back to their universe.

Or ...
    maybe Empress Sato will have started work on tech to get back to the discovery universe

Finally.. Loca..
    in the pain chamber
    .. oh boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had no idea this was back until this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hal9550

EPIC

so basically that was EPIC - it was UTTERLY EPIC
    Nod to Enterprise was spectacular - The Mirror Universe.. it was class

I mean im basically watching it again as i type this - honestly i would challenge anyone to say that was below par

i am LITERALLY pacing around since i watched it

and i screamed when
    Voq/Tyler started reciting a klingon prayer -
    One question.. " Jim, if we're here, what do you suppose our counterparts doing back in our universe"
    ?????:D:pac:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Wow that was really really good.
    I loved the nod to Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well that certainly threw me a curveball, I suspected like Spear the plot twist but the rest was a cheerful surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Hail Captain Tilly! Long live the Empire! There is no Captain in my heart, but the black heart of Captain Killy! Death to the rebels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I thought that was excellent. Just annoyed there was the break over Christmas!

Very interesting to see where they go with this for the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well that certainly threw me a curveball, I suspected like Spear the plot twist but the rest was a cheerful surprise.

Given that they've given so many clues for many episodes now, mirror Stammets, the casting entry for Ash Tyler/Voq, they made the twists expected. So when the real twist appeared, it was completely unheralded and happened when a viewer wouldn't be expecting another just after Voq. Is it possible the writers actually know what they're doing?

Unfortunately I also already suspect how they're going to get round the departed doc.

Spear wrote: »
    Unfortunately I also already suspect how they're going to get round the departed doc.

Uh huh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The accent was very well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

CramCycle wrote: »
    The accent was very well done.

I thought he'd jokingly do his real English accent instead. Seems to have been an nod to ToS there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Maybe it was just the kind of weird vibe that strobing netflix gives, but I REALLY disliked that episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I really enjoyed that. Didn't really like the Doc, so no harm done in my book! Judging by the "Don't go to the Palace" remarks by Stammets, I'm hoping to see Terran Empire Earth and the Emperor (whoever that is!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That was pretty great!! Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I wonder which episode you all saw because it can't have been the same one I watched.

Nearly everything in this episode was telegraphed long ago, the writers choices were clear since a while and I have no problem calling them lazy.

But than again, it's supposed to be art and it's subjective, but for me this was just another example how they don't really have a clear vision and just make it up as they go ignoring existing canon.

And sure, we have this big important piece of information, but we totally did not think of transmitting it to Starfleet. Plus seriously who did not see it coming that the Doctor would be the first to confirm what was clear for month now and pay the price. That story line was so predictable it's a joke that it had to come.

Now let's see how long it takes before we move off the mirror universe, let's not forget in theory time moves the same in there, so it's of importance that we rejoin the other universe in light of the important info we need to bring to Starfleet. But I'm sure in this show time will move different too so we all going to have it wrapped up nicely at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

... Is it possible the writers actually know what they're doing?...

Just maybe!:pac:
    I really enjoyed that episode, I must say.
    The writers have pulled some really dumb ****, eg Security Chief Landry effectively committing suicide by tardigrade, the shuttle pilot getting eaten by space-microbes and then drifting dead by the windows of the shuttle scene and the whole magic mushroom drive concept just for a start........
    This is the only episode so far that makes me think they just might know what they are doing.
    Here's hoping!!!!!

Edited to add - I thought they could have pushed the boat out a bit more with the mirror universe uniforms.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

It was fine. The Tyler situation is dumb any sort of scan should reveal he's not Human. Captain Tilly is better than I expected.
    This is the only episode so far that makes me think they just might know what they are doing.
    Here's hoping!!!!!
    I wonder were the current showrunners saddled with stuff the previous showrunners had already done and just had to get through it to get to where they wanted to be.

The only gripe I have* is nothing can really happen on the Prime side because Mirror Mirror still has to happen. Enterprise kind of let the cat out of the bag in the Mirror Universe.

*aside from my usual complaints

I wonder which episode you all saw because it can't have been the same one I watched.

Nearly everything in this episode was telegraphed long ago, the writers choices were clear since a while and I have no problem calling them lazy.

But than again, it's supposed to be art and it's subjective, but for me this was just another example how they don't really have a clear vision and just make it up as they go ignoring existing canon.

And sure, we have this big important piece of information, but we totally did not think of transmitting it to Starfleet. Plus seriously who did not see it coming that the Doctor would be the first to confirm what was clear for month now and pay the price. That story line was so predictable it's a joke that it had to come.

Now let's see how long it takes before we move off the mirror universe, let's not forget in theory time moves the same in there, so it's of importance that we rejoin the other universe in light of the important info we need to bring to Starfleet. But I'm sure in this show time will move different too so we all going to have it wrapped up nicely at the end.

For a show you seem to hate, you do seem to watch it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

FutureGuy wrote: »
    For a show you seem to hate, you do seem to watch it a lot

Hate is such a strong word.

It has some entertainment value and there are good things in there too, but some of the things are just not good enough for what this show is supposed or wants to be.

Hate is such a strong word.

It has some entertainment value and there are good things in there too, but some of the things are just not good enough for what this show is supposed or wants to be.

Just going my your comments in the other thread. I must ask how you though the doctors death was evident weeks ago? I can’t believe anyone saw that coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched it there..

While I agree that a lot of the reveals were telegraphed long before, the execution (heh!) was excellent (note: I love the Mirror Universe/Alternate reality stuff anyway - except for what they did in DS9).
    I really liked the transformation to the ISS Discovery and crew montage, though it seems a bit convenient that a destroyed rebel ship would have such a complete database on current Starfleet crew manifests. Nice nod to the Defiant (but again, a bit odd how the random rebel ship happened to have this top secret piece of intel...)

Tilly suddenly became interesting and very watchable.. not just the annoying Wesley Crusher character of the show.

Agree that the dear doctor's departure will likely be easily resolved by the time they go back which is a shame as the character is no great loss IMO

Overall a solid return. As I've said previously, it helps that I've managed to take it for what it is and not worry about the canonical aspects so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

very good episode. Enjoyed it.

My current theory is Lorca knew about the Defiant and the Federation from the Prime universe. Maybe Archer never destroyed all the files.

I think Lorca tried to overthrow the Empire to create the Federation, but somehow got thrown into our universe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought he'd jokingly do his real English accent instead. Seems to have been an nod to ToS there.

I thought that as well but it wasn't like the TOS one, it sounded like a genuine accent, it was very well done. A nod without sounding like you were making a joke of it if you will. Probably the better call as we would all be giving out stink if he came out with a mimic of the great Mr. Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    though it seems a bit convenient that a destroyed rebel ship would have such a complete database on current Starfleet crew manifests. Nice nod to the Defiant (but again, a bit odd how the random rebel ship happened to have this top secret piece of intel...)
    Given that it was the Defiant that installed Hoshi as Empress it might have been hard to cover up. I do kind of want to know who the current Emperor is. If it was no one special they probably would have given a name. Georgiu or Culver are my bets.

The crew thing was a bit convenient but having lists of everyone in Starfleet on each ship seems to be pretty common in the Prime universe so it probably is in the Mirror Universe too so the rebels having it as well is pretty likely.

Was the schematic of the Defiant the first traditionally laid out Starfleet ship that's shown in STD?

Evade wrote: »
    Was the schematic of the Defiant the first traditionally laid out Starfleet ship that's shown in STD?

I think so.. though it does beg the question of why the Empire isn't significantly more advanced technologically given they had a starship from the future (and even after a few hours had figured it out enough to use it in battle in ENT)

Would have been cooler if something like a mirror TNG era ship intercepted them rather than the Shenzhou which (if I recall right) was already seen as old by the start of Discovery.

• Advertisement

(Picture from a post on Reddit)

w1VGyV2.jpg

I will also say though, that I'm glad they seem to have kept closer to the TOS designs than the JJ Prise version.

Advertisement