Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie flu? Stay at home!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that there is going to be a death in my office over the Aussie Flu.

If the dude that sits beside me coughs on me one more time, I'm going to murder him.

Same here, and when to fcuk then it become acceptable for someone to openly and very loudly blow there nose in the middle of an office, fcuk off and do that in a bathroom or somewhere a bit more approriate than in my fcukin ear :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Skedaddle wrote: »
    In Japan people actually wear face masks when THEY have colds to avoid spreading the germs.

Yes why don't we do that here? Seriously its like some people enjoy the flu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Here's the problem OP. Sensible people don't need to be told not to go in to work wih Flu. It's only the ' I don't take sick days' brigade who would attempt this. No amount of encouragement will dissuade fcktrds like this from struggling in to work on their last breath.

Its more likely people who have contracted the flu but not showing symptoms yet go to work, they're still contagious so it spreads to people before they even know they're sick and can spread it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

titan18 wrote: »
    Half the people think they have it and all they have is a cold.

I have a friend who has never had a cold in his life. He gets the 'flu a few times a year though...

How to tell the difference: if it was just coughing and sneezing, it wasn't the 'flu. If you got over it after a couple of days, it wasn't the 'flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Feckin' Australians, coming here taking out jobs and our women and giving us their 'flu...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

embraer170 wrote: »
    And what do you do when your boss expects you to be at work unless you are in bed dying?

Come into work. Meet him/her face to face. Make sure to breathe/cough/sneeze in his/her direction. Make them loads of cups of tea, don't forget to handle the cup in an unhygienic manner and maybe bring them a cake/scone you baked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Repsulive wrote: »
    'Aussie flu' is the cover story for the lethal, highly contagious, superflu.

A month from now, you and everyone you know, will be dead.

I'm running up a MASSIVE bill on anything I can then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So, is this like a down under flu where your ass is dizzy and constantly coughing and sneezing phlegm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

putting the actual flu aside, I love all these posters advising people to stay at home while sick. Every single boss I ever had would do the nut if you phoned in sick, you would want to be on your deathbed ( with a note from your undertaker) before they grudgingly allow you the day off ffs.

In factories most of my coworkers would come in while sick, not to be the hero, just to avoid the grief. In the shops I worked in you would often have people coming in, dosed up, coughing and sneezing into their hand and then handing you money. But by far the worst were the dirty feckers who would look you in the eye while coughing in your face...luckily I was an asshole so I would commonly spray water from a spray bottle I kept under the counter right back at them, then explain it disinfectant to kill the germs.....for their benefit of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Maybe they can't afford to take the day off work? Or they don't want to piss off their colleagues who will have to pick up the slack if they have to take time off. Sure there's always people on here moaning about how unfair it is on them that people have kids.

A child with the actual flu would be seriously ill.I can't imagine any parent sending in a child in that condition in fairness.
    If you are a parent then that child has to come first. If they have a fever that requires medication, are vomiting or have diarrhoea they should be kept home, not spreading their virus to everyone else. Next thing you know it spreads like wildfire to other children, staff and families. Some staff members may be pregnant and are put in the firing line of parents who send their ill child to school no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I can see both sides of the story, yes Crèche’s don’t want illness or flu spread around to other children but parents need to work and the Crèche’s do not forego their fee when a child is off sick so it’s a case of ‘keep your child at home till they recover but still pay us our €350 a week’ so I can see why parents feel they have no option. If Crèche’s were to reduce or waive fees when a child is off sick then parents might be more inclined to keep them at home. I do realise Crèche’s still have their overheads but they can’t have it every way. There needs to be some give and take.

I personally work in a preschool where the children are eligible for the free school places. No charge at all to parents. Still children are sent in with fevers or vomiting bugs. I understand that parents may need to work but this is their child, their sick child. The parents do not have to fork out for days attended or missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

vicwatson wrote: »
    But sure I've never been to Australia

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must come to the mountain. Er.. flu flew here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

I hate that feeling, when you read about something like this thread and then you feel like you're actually getting it!! I feel phantom throat, fever and body pains now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

snowgal wrote: »
    I hate that feeling, when you read about something like this thread and then you feel like you're actually getting it!! I feel phantom throat, fever and body pains now....

Me too. Germs through the keyboard I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Avoiding all things Australian to be sure so no fosters or neighbours for me.

Aussie Flu: Keep it Home and Away.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Loss of life isn't inevitable if people are treated in time surely?
    Guy I used to know died yesterday morning, reckoned that he caught "Aussie Flu" and had such a bad reaction to it he quickly developed complications and the doctors couldn't save him. Supposed to have been fine on Friday. He was in his early 30's, fit as a fiddle. Leaves behind his wife and two children. A sobering story of how no one is invincible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Guy I used to know died yesterday morning, reckoned that he caught "Aussie Flu" and had such a bad reaction to it he quickly developed complications and the doctors couldn't save him. Supposed to have been fine on Friday. He was in his early 30's, fit as a fiddle. Leaves behind his wife and two children. A sobering story of how no one is invincible. :(

What, seriously? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

His poor family, what a horrible shock for them. May he rest in peace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What, seriously? :eek:
    It can happen and happen that quickly too. Particularly in young healthy people, depending on the form of flu virus you get. The flu itself doesn't kill you as such, it's either your immune system's overreaction to it, or complications from secondary infections like pneumonia. And all that can happen quite quickly. For start you're infected a couple of days before you get get symptoms. Then if the immune system overreacts and you have a strong immune system it attacks all the cells that the flu virus has hijacked with collateral damage. This can cause bleeding in the lungs, the lung tissue itself becomes less efficient at bringing in oxygen and you drown in your own juices. With some strains that cause the immune system overreaction the usually vulnerable people, the very young and the very old tend to survive it, but young fit healthy men and women are more affected. Pneumonia goes a similar way, but its often a bacteria that takes advantage of your state, with added complications if the bacteria get into the bloodstream causing sepsis and then septic shock which usually sets off a cascade failure in organs like the liver and kidneys and th heart can be involved and go into "shock" and stop. Sepsis can go from "sure I'm feeling grand" to "we regret to tell you they've passed away" within hours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It can happen and happen that quickly too. Particularly in young healthy people, depending on the form of flu virus you get. The flu itself doesn't kill you as such, it's either your immune system's overreaction to it, or complications from secondary infections like pneumonia. And all that can happen quite quickly. For start you're infected a couple of days before you get get symptoms. Then if the immune system overreacts and you have a strong immune system it attacks all the cells that the flu virus has hijacked with collateral damage. This can cause bleeding in the lungs, the lung tissue itself becomes less efficient at bringing in oxygen and you drown in your own juices. With some strains that cause the immune system overreaction the usually vulnerable people, the very young and the very old tend to survive it, but young fit healthy men and women are more affected. Pneumonia goes a similar way, but its often a bacteria that takes advantage of your state, with added complications if the bacteria get into the bloodstream causing sepsis and then septic shock which usually sets off a cascade failure in organs like the liver and kidneys and th heart can be involved and go into "shock" and stop. Sepsis can go from "sure I'm feeling grand" to "we regret to tell you they've passed away" within hours.

Well, that's great to hear. So glad I read all that. Wasn't worried at all before! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Just to add to what Wibbs mentioned, a century ago seen the beginning of the outbreak of "Spanish Flu" that spread worldwide.
    The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus. It infected 500 million people around the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million (three to five percent of the world's population), making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. Disease had already greatly limited life expectancy in the early 20th century. A considerable spike occurred in the first year of the pandemic. Life expectancy in the United States dropped by about 12 years.

Most influenza outbreaks disproportionately kill juvenile, elderly, or already weakened patients; in contrast, the 1918 pandemic predominantly killed previously healthy young adults.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

snowgal wrote: »

The good old nocebo effect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    If you had the flu in the first place you wouldn't be able to go to work, people still can't seem to grasp the difference between a head cold and the flu.

Not so it seems if you read Arlessienne's post (#17):
    I really don't think comments like this, or the many similar ones in the "worst flu" thread, are helpful or sensible. I completely understand the annoyance at people with the sniffles claiming to have the flu at every hand's turn, but the fact is that sometimes people can have the flu and still be able to be up and about. I too used to believe this stuff being peddled about the "real flu" having you unable to even type a message. And then I had swine flu confirmed with a swab while I was still working and carrying on with my daily life. I had what I considered to be just a moderately bad sinus infection.

I too thought that if you had the flu it knocked you for six in all cases. I'd say its down to each person's immune system and how they react to the virus. A person who has the flu and can actually be up and about during the whole time of the infection could potentially infect alot more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

One of the red tops is reporting that the 'influenza B Yamagata' strain might overtake the Aussie's h3n2.
    Thankfully it's not as severe as the Aussie one, but B-Y may not be completely covered by the main flu jabs.

Also confirms the story of the young sporty chap in his 30's, RIP.

Maybe governments should consider handing out free silver nano-particle facemasks, and '3 second' UV sanatisers at all public transport terminals.
    Think of all the work day/weeks lost to the flu season, nevermind the cost to society.

2 interesting articles. Apparently you can have flu and show no symptoms at all!! Doesn't mean though you aren't giving the virus to others. I'd say this is why it spreads so quick. The second article claims that up to three quarters of those that are infected show no symptoms or only mild symptoms from having flu.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_6-1-2016-10-1-44

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Me too. Germs through the keyboard I bet

Computer virus,deffo!
    Run everyone,run for your lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Irregardless if it's the flu or not you should stay at home if you have a contagious disease.

This notion that you have to go to work when you're sick is madness or at least the people who insist on it. My sister was out sick for 2 days from an Italian guy in her work who insisted in coming in and spluttering everywhere. Insisted he was getting better. I could have gotten it luckily I stayed away from my sis. But are people that thick? or just completely selfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Irregardless if it's the flu or not you should stay at home if you have a contagious disease.

This notion that you have to go to work when you're sick is madness or at least the people who insist on it. My sister was out sick for 2 days from an Italian guy in her work who insisted in coming in and spluttering everywhere. Insisted he was getting better. I could have gotten it luckily I stayed away from my sis. But are people that thick? or just completely selfish?

Tell that to the bosses and companies around the country that don't pay for people who are out sick and give them a far from easy ride if they do miss a day.

Its not as black and white as you make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Loads of people sneezing into their hands at Mass yesterday and then eagerly reaching out to everyone in the vicinity during the sign of peace. I became very interested in my Mass leaflet and unfortunately didn't see most of them!

Seriously, people need to use a bit of cop on when they're ill. Struggling into work coughing and spluttering and whining about your sore throat doesn't make you a brave soldier. It makes you a pain in the arse.

Stupid Catholics who think that missing mass because of illness is some kind of mortal sin! They'll be richly rewarded for their Trojan efforts in the next life. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

In every pocket of the continental United States, people are experiencing flu symptoms right now.

The first time that has happened, in the 13 years of the CDC’s current tracking system.
    And thus, the 1st year of having the entire continental US at the same level (of flu activity) at the same time.

Not every single person obviously, by enough for it to be classed as 'widespread' in nearly every state as of now.

CDC estimates^ that this season so far, influenza has caused 9 million to 35 million illnesses
    ^difficult to estimate.

Advertisement