Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie flu? Stay at home!

Options
  • 07-01-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

The arrival of Aussie flu has already caused several deaths. At a time when our hospitals are already under a lot of pressure, the last thing that is needed is a large influx of patients due to this strain of flu.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news

Surely the best course of action that we, as a country, can do is to encourage people who are unfortunate enough to be suffering from this outbreak to stay at home, not go to work, or onto public transport? Same thing in relation to kids who are infected re: schools. To do otherwise is simply to encourage the spread of the disease, and inevitable loss of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

But sure I've never been to Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Aussie Flu sounds like a term you'd use for a hangover or something. Something about using 'Aussie' that doesn't quite transmit the gravity of a potentially fatal illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Does it make the dizziness go the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Poochie05

By the time you know you have the actual flu you'll be in no condition to stand up, let alone go to work or school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I'd have called it Chazzwazzas flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

And what do you do when your boss expects you to be at work unless you are in bed dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It would be much better if it was more socially acceptable to wear a face mask all day while you're sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ya Flamin' gallah

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Here's the problem OP. Sensible people don't need to be told not to go in to work wih Flu. It's only the ' I don't take sick days' brigade who would attempt this. No amount of encouragement will dissuade fcktrds like this from struggling in to work on their last breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

embraer170 wrote: »
    And what do you do when your boss expects you to be at work unless you are in bed dying?

You explain to your boss that you could stay at home and recover or you could go into work and potentially infect his other staff causing him bigger problems. Most bosses are smart enough to know what is right despite what their employees think of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Here's the problem OP. Sensible people don't need to be told not to go in to work wih Flu. It's only the ' I don't take sick days' brigade who would attempt this. No amount of encouragement will dissuade fcktrds like this from struggling in to work on their last breath.

If someone is able to go to work then they don’t really have the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

SteM wrote: »
    You explain to your boss that you could stay at home and recover or you could go into work and potentially infect his other staff causing him bigger problems. Most bosses are smart enough to know what is right despite what their employees think of them.

do you think that everyone works in an office?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I’m just back from England and mother of god everyone is coughing and sneezing and on the plane we really are a disgusting bunch
    Also I’m back to work in school tomorrow guaranteed all the kids be sick
    If I don’t catch something the next few days it be a miracle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Sadb wrote: »
    If someone is able to go to work then they don’t really have the flu.

Exactly Sadb. When the legs buckle and you dive into the scratcher.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

vicwatson wrote: »
    But sure I've never been to Australia
    I flu there in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Poochie05 wrote: »
    By the time you know you have the actual flu you'll be in no condition to stand up, let alone go to work or school.

I really don't think comments like this, or the many similar ones in the "worst flu" thread, are helpful or sensible. I completely understand the annoyance at people with the sniffles claiming to have the flu at every hand's turn, but the fact is that sometimes people can have the flu and still be able to be up and about. I too used to believe this stuff being peddled about the "real flu" having you unable to even type a message. And then I had swine flu confirmed with a swab while I was still working and carrying on with my daily life. I had what I considered to be just a moderately bad sinus infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

do you think that everyone works in an office?

Yeah, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If you had the flu in the first place you wouldn't be able to go to work, people still can't seem to grasp the difference between a head cold and the flu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Repsulive

'Aussie flu' is the cover story for the lethal, highly contagious, superflu.

A month from now, you and everyone you know, will be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's hard to understand how it's considered a necessary politeness to stand there nodding and smiling at someone actively spluttering in your face. We understand how disease is spread. Why can't it just become unacceptable to go around visiting people and working in close confines in that state. It is potentially fatal to people who are immunocompromised or already ill. It's completely unnecessary suffering.

If you want to avoid it wear woolen or leather gloves going out and if you want to rub your eyes or eat etc take them off.
    Wear a scarf "casually" around your mouth and nose area if you're out in public.
    Wash your hands regularly.
    Make angry faces at sick people trying to harrang you into conversation about how they're "dying with the dose" etc.

If you care about not spreading it, just stay the hell at home!

I know a few people who've had real difficulties with infection during chemo etc in recent years so I feel strongly about it now.
    I'm also a curmudgeon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The arrival of Aussie flu has already caused several deaths. At a time when our hospitals are already under a lot of pressure, the last thing that is needed is a large influx of patients due to this strain of flu.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news

Surely the best course of action that we, as a country, can do is to encourage people who are unfortunate enough to be suffering from this outbreak to stay at home, not go to work, or onto public transport? Same thing in relation to kids who are infected re: schools. To do otherwise is simply to encourage the spread of the disease, and inevitable loss of life.

Loss of life isn't inevitable if people are treated in time surely?

Anyway, I'm in hospital at the moment and they have a policy implemented where there are no children allowed during visiting hours, and patients are only allowed one visitor at a time.

I don't think it does anyone any favours to be stirring up a panic around this latest virus tbh, and would suggest that people would continue to go about their daily lives as most of us aren't in the "at risk" groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I'd have called it Chazzwazzas flu

That’s an odd name!

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Loss of life isn't inevitable if people are treated in time surely?

Anyway, I'm in hospital at the moment and they have a policy implemented where there are no children allowed during visiting hours, and patients are only allowed one visitor at a time.

I don't think it does anyone any favours to be stirring up a panic around this latest virus tbh, and would suggest that people would continue to go about their daily lives as most of us aren't in the "at risk" groups.

I'm sorry to hear you are in hospital, I hope you'll be home and well soon.

While most of us aren't in the "at risk" group a lot of us have friends and family who are. Lots of people know someone with asthma, on chemo, over 65 etc who are at risk though. Once you get it you quite likely will pass it on. Taking measures to prevent the spread of it as much as possible is the sensible thing to do.

And loss of life for people in at risk groups isn't a question of being late seeking treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

And don't go back to work early after having it, that's when it's most contagious.

If you're a regular attendee at the aul mass, don't be shaking hands.
    A nod, a wink or pat on the back will suffice this winter.

Other easy ideas:
    Increase Zinc (and Vit C)
    Increase cooked shiitake mushroom intake
    Increase yougurt intake (Lactobacillus rhamnosus)
    Have plenty of chicken soup and green curry
    Salt: garles, lamps, infusers (with thyme or eucalyptus oil)
    Open a window if stuck on public transport irrelevant to weather (don't do this on a plane)
    If you don't like antibac gel, vinegar may be a substitute
    Dash of honey with hot drinks (as long as not DT2)
    Swap mucus forming c&tea, for green tea.

Most importantly: Don't ask for antibiotics for viral cold/flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The house could be burning down around you and you still wouldn't be able to get out of the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

And don't go back to work early after having it, that's when it's most contagious.

If you're a regular attendee at the aul mass, don't be shaking hands.
    A nod, a wink or pat on the back will suffice this winter.

Or a chest bump.the elderly love them in mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you truly have the flu, you’ll be immobile for several days at least. But even after you’re better, you’ll still be infectious for about a week.

If you have a really bad cold, you should also try to stay at home, work from home if that’s possible. No need to be bringing that cr*p into the workplace and infecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Beasty wrote: »
    I flu there in 2010.

So you got aviation flu? A.k.a. avian flu :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Feck it anyway, I was in Canada... knowing my luck ill get something like "Canuck Syndrome" i better go to my Vet and get a booster asap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Had flu last week, cane on me last Saturday and it wasn’t till Thursday that I started to feel half normal again. I spent Sunday Monday and Tuesday in bed.

How do I know if it was the normal flu or Aussie flu??? I wouldn’t want to be telling people I had normal flu if it were the worser and far badder Aussie version!!

Advertisement