Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie flu? Stay at home!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Open a window if stuck on public transport irrelevant to weather (don't do this on a plane)

Good job I read this before I get on my flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Good job I read this before I get on my flight.

Some fella decided to pop out of FR8164 Ryanair (Stanstead to Malaga) last week for a spot of fresh air after feeling a bit stressed, or possibly asthmatic.

Maybe all those announcements to buy raffle tickets did his nut. Anyway 45k cost for the privileged. The chap beside him said 'I don’t blame him'. Both of those lads should only ever travel by sea.

Avoiding colds/flu from airlines is tricky, probably some sort of nano-silver saltine nasal lining, or a scarf might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sadb wrote: »
    If someone is able to go to work then they don’t really have the flu.

I went to work with the flu. I didn't realise it, I thought it was just a bad cold. I needed a day off work to finish a college assignment so I went to the doctor. After I honestly described the symptoms and he took my temperature etc he told me it wasn't a cold but was a flu and I shouldn't go to work until I was better.

Thee are different strains and everyone has different tolerances. I'm lucky now. The place I work says that if your sick just work from home or take a sick day. Plus they gave us free flu vaccinations if we wanted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Fcukin' Auzzies.. first they came for our convicts, then our wimmins, an' now the bastids are spreadin' their blasted superbugs upon us.
    'Why, I've a good mind to...cough, cough, splutter...aghhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Nature has revenged the Aussies for all their sneezing and excessive abbreviations towards Europe's direction.
    It's 47oC in Sydney today (80yr record high), sure a bit of sweating is good for you flaming galahs.
    Crack open a few tinnies of castlemaine xxxx from the bottle shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I wish parents would take heed of advice to keep sick children at home. Working in a preschool amazes me. Parents bringing children in, child vomits within the hour, parents collect child and say they thought 'they'd vomited it all up after breakfast.' Or saying if the calpol wears off to give them a call. No consideration for other children, staff or even their own child. Trying to explain the contagious illness policy can be maddening. They just do not want to know. Hopefully this cold weather may help startle the bugs and put an end to this Aussie flu.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's amazing the amount of people who have no cough hygiene whatsoever. Parents can help by revising the hygiene protocol with their children . Many schools have children and staff with chronic long term conditions.
    http://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/guidance/schools/

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Many parents still think that teaching a child to cough into their hand is correct. Into the elbow is far better or at least into a tissue that can be thrown away. Maybe times like this flu season would be a good time to try to reeducate parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Avoiding all things Australian to be sure so no fosters or neighbours for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I wish parents would take heed of advice to keep sick children at home. Working in a preschool amazes me. Parents bringing children in, child vomits within the hour, parents collect child and say they thought 'they'd vomited it all up after breakfast.' Or saying if the calpol wears off to give them a call. No consideration for other children, staff or even their own child. Trying to explain the contagious illness policy can be maddening. They just do not want to know. Hopefully this cold weather may help startle the bugs and put an end to this Aussie flu.

Maybe they can't afford to take the day off work? Or they don't want to piss off their colleagues who will have to pick up the slack if they have to take time off. Sure there's always people on here moaning about how unfair it is on them that people have kids.

A child with the actual flu would be seriously ill.I can't imagine any parent sending in a child in that condition in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

embraer170 wrote: »
    And what do you do when your boss expects you to be at work unless you are in bed dying?

or refuses to pay you a sent if you call in sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Make sure to keep your hands clean and use hand sanitiser often

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Sharing is caring I always say.:)

biko wrote: »
    Make sure to keep your hands clean and use hand sanitiser often

And spray Glen 20 everywhere,they say it kills 99% of germs and viruses.

It's amazing the amount of people who have no cough hygiene whatsoever.

You're not wrong there, I DREAD going on public transport. The flu and virus supermarket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

The arrival of Aussie flu has already caused several deaths. At a time when our hospitals are already under a lot of pressure, the last thing that is needed is a large influx of patients due to this strain of flu.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news

Surely the best course of action that we, as a country, can do is to encourage people who are unfortunate enough to be suffering from this outbreak to stay at home, not go to work, or onto public transport? Same thing in relation to kids who are infected re: schools. To do otherwise is simply to encourage the spread of the disease, and inevitable loss of life.

Fcuk that! If I'm dying of the flu then I'm taking as many of you bastards down with me as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Last year the vomiting bug was in our house, so I went around the house and cleaned off all the surfaces and door handles with bleach, then I washed all the delf and cutlery. Luckily it didn't spread and only 1 person got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I can see both sides of the story, yes Crèche’s don’t want illness or flu spread around to other children but parents need to work and the Crèche’s do not forego their fee when a child is off sick so it’s a case of ‘keep your child at home till they recover but still pay us our €350 a week’ so I can see why parents feel they have no option. If Crèche’s were to reduce or waive fees when a child is off sick then parents might be more inclined to keep them at home. I do realise Crèche’s still have their overheads but they can’t have it every way. There needs to be some give and take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Loads of people sneezing into their hands at Mass yesterday and then eagerly reaching out to everyone in the vicinity during the sign of peace. I became very interested in my Mass leaflet and unfortunately didn't see most of them!

Seriously, people need to use a bit of cop on when they're ill. Struggling into work coughing and spluttering and whining about your sore throat doesn't make you a brave soldier. It makes you a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

There are a few things going around at the moment :

1. A very bad cold that seems to last, and last and last with mostly upper respiratory symptoms - sinuses and postnasal drip.
    2. Winter vomiting bug (norovirus)
    3. At least two strains of flu.

You can get vaccinated against the flu and it’s wrll worth doing. With the other two all you can do is exercise caution with hand hygiene. The winter vomiting bug is AWFUL. I had it around New Years and had to sleep on the floor in the toilet and couldn’t eat for about 3 days! Even worse my entire household got it over Xmas.

Tips: avoid hand to mouth contact. Wash your hands - it survives alcohol wipes and gels. You need to actually wash for 20 seconds with soap and water.

If you do get it, clean your bathroom and anywhere you’ve thrown up with bleach based disinfectant. There is a flash with bleach that works well on floors and surfaces. The normal disinfectant and antibacterial sprays have no impact on it!

Also wash your clothes on a long cycle with a good dose of bio detergent. You need a wash long enough to actually remove stuff and at af least 40C. Towels and bed linen should go on 60+ if they can take it.

Also don’t shake hands with people if you have it.

Other than that:

Eat well, sleep well and keep yourself in good immune system form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jiltloop

embraer170 wrote: »
    And what do you do when your boss expects you to be at work unless you are in bed dying?

Tell your boss that you're in bed dying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Loads of people sneezing into their hands at Mass yesterday and then eagerly reaching out to everyone in the vicinity during the sign of peace. I became very interested in my Mass leaflet and unfortunately didn't see most of them!

Seriously, people need to use a bit of cop on when they're ill. Struggling into work coughing and spluttering and whining about your sore throat doesn't make you a brave soldier. It makes you a pain in the arse.

some clever priests out there in Northern Ireland has suspended the sign of peace due to the flu

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/catholtic-diocese-northern-ireland-suspended-sign-peace-due-flu-epidemic-611975

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The arrival of Aussie flu has already caused several deaths. At a time when our hospitals are already under a lot of pressure, the last thing that is needed is a large influx of patients due to this strain of flu.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news

Surely the best course of action that we, as a country, can do is to encourage people who are unfortunate enough to be suffering from this outbreak to stay at home, not go to work, or onto public transport? Same thing in relation to kids who are infected re: schools. To do otherwise is simply to encourage the spread of the disease, and inevitable loss of life.

You can encourage all you want but unless someone gets sick pay they are unlikely to miss a day of work for what they assume is the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Skedaddle wrote: »
    There are a few things going around at the moment :

1. A very bad cold that seems to last, and last and last with mostly upper respiratory symptoms - sinuses and postnatal drip.
    2. Winter vomiting bug (norovirus)
    3. At least two strains of flu.

You can get vaccinated against the flu and it’s wrll worth doing. With the other two all you can do is exercise caution with hand hygiene. The winter vomiting bug is AWFUL. I had it around New Years and had to sleep on the floor in the toilet and couldn’t eat for about 3 days! Even worse my entire household got it over Xmas.

Tips: avoid hand to mouth contact. Wash your hands - it survives alcohol wipes and gels. You need to actually wash for 20 seconds with soap and water.

If you do get it, clean your bathroom and anywhere you’ve thrown up with bleach based disinfectant. There is a flash with bleach that works well on floors and surfaces. The normal disinfectant and antibacterial sprays have no impact on it!

Also wash your clothes on a long cycle with a good dose of bio detergent. You need a wash long enough to actually remove stuff and at af least 40C. Towels and bed linen should go on 60+ if they can take it.

Also don’t shake hands with people if you have it.

Other than that:

Eat well, sleep well and keep yourself in good immune system form!

:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that there is going to be a death in my office over the Aussie Flu.

If the dude that sits beside me coughs on me one more time, I'm going to murder him.

jiltloop wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Fixed that -- postnatal drip is a lot worse. Damn you iPhone and your artificial "intelligence" that doesn't understand context!

Postnasal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that there is going to be a death in my office over the Aussie Flu.

If the dude that sits beside me coughs on me one more time, I'm going to murder him.

I'm in the same boat today. Guy opposite me is smothered with a cold, coughing and spluttering. I can see the cold germs just floating over to me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat today. Guy opposite me is smothered with a cold, coughing and spluttering. I can see the cold germs just floating over to me.

It's rotten isn't it. I'm at the stage where I can taste his cough. Rank.

In Japan people actually wear face masks when THEY have colds to avoid spreading the germs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Half the people think they have it and all they have is a cold.

Advertisement