Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It is interesting to note that like a lot of last week, much of the rest of this week will see higher temps over the greater midwest region of Ireland, not only by day, but also by night, than over in the UK, including the SE, which more readily experiences these types of temps relative to the time of year.

2mtemp_023.jpg?2018060518

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Not as nice today cloudy all day until about 7 this evening. Not complaining though at least could pop to shops without feeling guilty about wasting the good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It is interesting to note that like a lot of last week, much of the rest of this week will see higher temps over the greater midwest region of Ireland, not only by day, but also by night, than over in the UK, including the SE, which more readily experiences these types of temps relative to the time of year.

2mtemp_023.jpg?2018060518

Interesting...
    What is the reason for this?
    Colder North Sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Much more comfortable night for sleeping tonight. Although saying that getting used to the warm nights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    Much more comfortable night for sleeping tonight. Although saying that getting used to the warm nights now.

Not here 16.3c with an RH of 94%, I need to invest in a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Back home after a few days out of the country, 16.2C and 96% humidity in Castlebar currently, have all the windows open and a fan on beside me, even after dealing with these nights for a fortnight prior it still feels like a shock to the system tonight.

Edit - A heavy mist is rolling in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

There's a faint display of noctilucent clouds now on the northern horizon if anyone's still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I got a much better sleep last night than I have been getting recently. Also a brilliantly sunny morning now in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Worst nights sleep here last night. Was warmer then usual it felt and was very sticky and humid. Fan was too noisy to keep on :(.

I’d sacrifice my sleep though for this weather (if the cloud ever goes away again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Clear cloudless morning in Kildare, looks like another great day ahead :cool:

• Advertisement

Unreal morning again here in Dublin! Blue skies + not a cloud to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I can see water shortages being an issue if this patterns holds or if rainfall stays below normal.

As for people who can't sleep, sleep in your birthday suit and you should be fine.

Are you really that warm at night. I still sleep with my duvet not a bother. I love the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

RobertKK wrote: »
    I can see water shortages being an issue if this patterns holds or if rainfall stays below normal.

As for people who can't sleep, sleep in your birthday suit and you should be fine.

Water shortage must be a real possibly now in the east. With no real rain due for the next week or so.
    Liffey and Rye rivers are as low as I can remember . Golf course and garden hard as a rock and the summer is only starting.
    But I'm loving this weather. Ideally rain at night and keep days like today going:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

appledrop wrote: »
    Are you really that warm at night. I still sleep with my duvet not a bother. I love the heat.

Same
    And if it's too hot\humid like the end of last week then the duvet goes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've not been having any trouble at all sleeping at night and usually I'm the one who gives out about that sort of thing here. It's been grand. I'm certainly not complaining about it one bit.

EDIT: I only said this because of Artane2002's comment on difficult sleeping. P.S. you know me and how easy it is for my sleep to be disrupted even with temperatures like such we've been having in the east. Humidity is my problem, not necessarily the temperatures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Very cloudy here with some misty drizzle from time to time. Sunshine should hopefully break through later this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Le graph below shows the mean, mean maxima and mean minima since May 23rd up to yesterday June 3rd (12 days) at most of the reporting Met Eireann stations. The table is ordered by the highest mean down to the lowest.

Opbk7Hc.png

Keep in mind that the average max and min for the period in question is around 15.0 - 16c and 6.0 - 7.0c respectively.

Data from the mighty Met Eireann.
    I've not been having any trouble at all sleeping at night and usually I'm the one who gives out about that sort of thing here. It's been grand. I'm certainly not complaining about it one bit.
    I think this table explains why. The temperatures in the Dublin area have only been around average at best since this spell started.
    Its only 17.4c now which is nothing special for a summer's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »

In fairness, you are in one of the coolest spots of the country during this spell.

Regardless, today, even though it has just hit 22c again, there is a different feel in the air today with a good breeze and a much higher quality of sky. A real summer look with velvet blue skies that is turning every colour alive.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In fairness, you are in one of the coolest spots of the country during this spell.

Regardless, today, even though it has just hit 22c again, there is a different feel in the air today with a good breeze and a much higher quality of sky. A real summer look with velvet blue skies that is turning every colour alive.

I said that comment because of what Artane2002 said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I know we have had warmer days or 3 day spells over the years but this warm period has been going for over a month,give or take 1 or 2 days when it got cloudy or rained for a few hours but this is as good as anything i can remember and i'm 38.
    Even on those days when it rained for a while, its still seemed to brighten up in the evenings.
    Hopefully it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Beautiful day in cork city.
    Blue skies. Puffy clouds. Teeny bit of mist earlier but gone now.
    Hope this weather lasts and lasts, everything is so much better when the weathers good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Exceptional day in Dublin! No clouds at all and not overly warm. Currently relaxing in Fairview Park!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »

it hasn't really been that warm here compared to the west. Last night was chilly enough, temperatures got into the single digits.

Fantastic day here so far today, huge improvement over yesterday.

19C already, making today one of the warmest days of the year here so far at this time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1pm met met reports, very warm in the west already

Newport Co.Mayo 23 degrees
    Claremorris 22 degrees
    Athenry 22 degrees
    Finner 22 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fully cloudy all morning, although starting to see some blue make it's way towards here. 20.4c none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very warm indeed (west Mayo; offshore island) but a sweet breeze to offset the blast.

Last night was very warm... I am in a modern prefab dwelling made of.. wait for it.. aluminium.. and it gets like an oven. Especially if I cannot have the door open. Turkish bath last night

But so lovely today! Wild flowers here... calm still ocean.

The breeze makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

24.2C in Castlebar currently, blue skies since this morning, beautiful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Another day of 19 or 20 for Dublin it seems.

It’s pleasant and the clear skies are beautiful but at this stage I wouldn’t mind something a bit warmer as these are only slightly above average temps for the East coast. And the nights have been boarding on chilly!

Is it actually even possible for Dublin to get warmer in set-ups like this or does the sea always keep temps around 20 when there’s an easterly?

I’d understand if it were March or April, but it’s now coming into mid June and there’s still a huge cooling effect from the sea. It seems more pronounced than other years, even though we’re into week 3 of a mini heatwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

compsys wrote: »
    Is it actually even possible for Dublin to get warmer in set-ups like this or does the sea always keep temps around 20 when there’s an easterly?

Once the Irish Sea becomes warmer, given we had cold easterlies blowing in till late March it’ll possible be July before its influence is muted

Advertisement