Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living alone, yay or nay?

Options
1235»

Comments

Was at an event recently and it struck me, 2 of the people at it were single and living alone and you could tell it straight away. They were both inclined to say stuff that was less...diplomatic than others. Not remotely a criticism, in fact I kinda like it when someone says what they think, I was more interested in the fact that it was so obvious from their mannerisms.

Is that a mannerism from being alone or a mechanism of why they are alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Haha. I'd say I'd be more inclined to be "weird" when living with housemates as I need a certain amount of space to maintain sanity and without that space I tend to be crabby and default at "pissed off".

When you live alone you tend to appreciate other humans that bit more as you don't have to deal with another stranger's oddities and annoying habits night and day. I find my house is more "my home" when I either live alone or live with a partner.

Is that a mannerism from being alone or a mechanism of why they are alone :D

Touche, hard to tell if it was effect or cause. I'd probably need more than 2 to form any wider conclusion beyond...if you were asked to identify 2 who lived alone in the group (of 15), you would definitely have picked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Was at an event recently and it struck me, 2 of the people at it were single and living alone and you could tell it straight away. They were both inclined to say stuff that was less...diplomatic than others. Not remotely a criticism, in fact I kinda like it when someone says what they think, I was more interested in the fact that it was so obvious from their mannerisms.

You don't sound terribly diplomatic yourself.

Is that post meant to be taken seriously?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I lived alone for about a year and a half. I loved it to be honest, after years of weird housemates and annoyances I could do what I wanted. Did force me to go out and about for proper social interaction.

After I got married, herself moved in and the alone days ended. I can still walk around in my boxers when she's away though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I never lived alone although in several houseshares I ended up having a lot of time on my own as my housemates would leave at the weekend, so I had the best of both worlds. Living with my husband is perfect, as we each get our own space and never feel crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Have the best of both worlds!

Have the house to myself Monday to Thursday. Then the wife comes home Thursday night for The Weeknd as she works Too far away to
    Commute

I send her away again on a Monday morning.

The key to a long lasting relationship

You don't sound terribly diplomatic yourself.

Is that post meant to be taken seriously?:eek:

It is serious, as in it is true.

I'm certainly not saying it's a universal trait, far from it, there may have been others in the group that live alone...but you could tell these 2 did anyway. Furthermore, as MicksJaguar pointed out, it's hard to tell if it was the reason or the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

But what about all the people who don't live alone who say stupid, undiplomatic things or who behave oddly in social occasions. It really is a very sweeping statement you're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

c_man wrote: »
    I lived alone for about a year and a half. I loved it to be honest, after years of weird housemates and annoyances I could do what I wanted. Did force me to go out and about for proper social interaction.

After I got married, herself moved in and the alone days ended. I can still walk around in my boxers when she's away though :)

you do know you can still do this while she's there?
    i'm sure she's seen you in less.

take 'em off and get some fresh air:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

I've lived alone for the past 7 years, and I love it, no annoying habits to deal with. As I have Asperger's I find socializing stressful and tiring and I often need my own space. I was a bit lonely when I first moved in but over time I got used to it and I'm rarely lonely these days. I'm currently half living in my folk's house for health reasons and while I love them very much I'm very much looking forward to being in my apartment regularly

I didn't think I'd ever be able to live alone, but in all my time in shared houses, I loved when I had the place to myself. I was never able to rent a place for myself. I live with my fiance now and it's great. He does shift work so I ofter spend nights alone here, and it's awesome!

I know where OP is coming from though. If I was single I'm not sure I'd like to live alone either. I need humans around.Though after so many house shares I've seen everything, I'm just delighted I never have to go back to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I live alone and would prefer to have company. It’s funny, I lived alone in the family home 5 days a week for my last couple of years of secondary school, at age 16 and 17 and was fine. But now at 42, I find I yearn company more than ever.

Fortunately, my ex who is also my closest friend com over and stays in my spare room nearly every week.:) I’m a social animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I’m 38 and I’ve lived alone for 17 years or so. I absolutely love it, there’s no way I could go back to living with someone. I’m happy out in my own company, quite comfortable being alone and I don’t get lonely. (As an aside, people often ask me if I’m lonely when they hear I’ve lived alone for so long- I tell them honestly that the loneliest I ever felt was when there was someone less than a foot away from me in bed, my then boyfriend who I was beginning to realize was a prick, and I felt really alone and isolated due to his behaviour.)

I go on holidays alone, initially started off going on weekend breaks in Ireland, then I went to various places in Europe and then I ventured to the States. Dining or sight-seeing alone never bothered me, the only issue was being more conscious of personal safety.

While I can be quite sociable and I have a wide circle of friends, I am introverted by nature and don’t enjoy casual social interaction very much. A cuppa with a friend? Lovely. Casual chat with a stranger at a bar? No thanks.

I’m sure that I’ve developed oddities and quirks by virtue of living alone and not having to share my living-space with anyone for so long, but if I’m in a situation that I have to share with someone I can keep a lid on most of them for a few days at least!

Advertisement