Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living alone, yay or nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candlemass

if i could afford to live on my own i would, still feel like student sharing.

The only time ive enjoyed living with someone was with a partner but sharing with strangers has run it course with me, ive got my faults but always respect my housemates privacy, unlike most people ive shared with. Most are friends by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I live alone because I am single and 36. My good friends are either coupled up, emigrated, or are very settled into long term house shares.
    Truth be told I am not a solitary person at all and I am desperately lonely most of the time. However, in my opinion, I am too long in the tooth for sharing with strangers.

Absolutely Love living alone and have done so most of my adult life. Don't get this "lonely" thing other people go on about, and if I do want company, it's easy to invite people (or a gf) over. But mostly, my home is my castle, and I prefer to keep it to myself.

Staying with my parents (I need to be on-call for them) for the last few months, and while it's been interesting/fun, I'm seriously looking forward to having my own space again.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Kirby42

Why hidden results?

I've hidden my opinion and experience to match.
    And let you see the results only to exit out without voting yourself? I don't think so pal! Not on my watch!

I just find it more interesting living with other people. I'm pretty social and an extrovert so I guess that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I dunno, I just know that I love watching movies and football with roommates. Living alone presents the challenge of not having anyone to help you or be there for you, that's not really a problem if your family or friends are nearby, but I live on my own outside of Ireland and I do feel that the loneliness can creep up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm not keen on it. I get lonely and I get all nervy, every sound and movement gets me paranoid there's someone trying to break in, and thats only when I'm in the house on my own for a night. Saying that I'm not very social and pretty introverted so I wouldn't want to constantly be around people, so to speak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kirby42 wrote: »
    Living alone presents the challenge of not having anyone to help you or be there for you, that's not really a problem if your family or friends are nearby, but I live on my own outside of Ireland and I do feel that the loneliness can creep up on me.

I'd say its very to easy feel like that alright when living abroad, especially if its a non english speaking country and you don't know the language.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't get this "lonely" thing other people go on about,

Me either. Don't understand this concept at all. Over christmas once I left the family, given I wasn't in work, the only humans I spoke to face to face where the lads in the local shop.
    I'd even just go for a walk round the estate for 20 mins sometimes if I feel like I need to get out - during Spring/Summer/Early Autumn you might find a neighbour (or just someone with a dog) to chat with.
    Suspect it is an introvert / extrovert thing - as a few people are exasperated when I tell them I don't experience this lonely feeling they go on about. Then again, I'm pretty awesome and I'm great company, so it's hardly surprising I enjoy having myself to myself so much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Best thing is living alone and watching horror films or programs at night and it will toughen you up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm not keen on it. I get lonely and I get all nervy, every sound and movement gets me paranoid there's someone trying to break in, and thats only when I'm in the house on my own for a night. Saying that I'm not very social and pretty introverted so I wouldn't want to constantly be around people, so to speak.

Ha that's me too. Love having the house to myself all day and then when I go to bed it's "Murder. Murder is how I die. And it will be tonight".

But saying that, I did live alone for a few months and loved it. I'm probably someone who's a bit too comfortable in my own company and it's healthier for me to live with others but I'd be happy out living alone. Apart from the fear of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Mr.S wrote: »
    Lived on my own for a while and much preferred it to having housemates, I would say the only downside is having to front all the cost yourself, you generally don't notice the bills if you have 2/3/4 people splitting the costs!

If having visitors is anything to go by, I'd say the bills go up exponentially when you start adding in extra people. Other than my phone line (flat rate broadband & calls), everything else is billed according to usage and it's impressive how many "little things" bump up the amount of water, electricity and gas used by another person.

Dardania wrote: »
    It's great for a week, but I get a bit lonely later, and also find myself quite selfish - a bit like Father Fintan Stack mango hammering in the middle of the night

Worse than Hitler you are. You wouldn't find him playing jungle music at 3 in the morning :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I'm an introvert though and really need the me time. Between work and training I'm only really alone between 7:30/8pm and bedtime so only really a few hours a night

This was the only thing that took me(and my gf) time to adjust to in living together, I badly need alone time after work, I spend 8 hours a day speaking with customers and my colleagues(who I like!...but still), the last thing I want to do when I get home is speak anymore, I find human interaction exhausting and it really drains me

My gf gives me space now after work so I have an hour or two to myself when I need it particularly after busy days(and even normal days somethings tbh) and its fine but it took her a week or so to realise it wasn't personal I just needed time to unwind(she's quite introverted too so she understands), I think I may have the opposite of loneliness in that sometimes I absolutely crave solitude, I feel most peoples batteries are down to 80% after dealing with people for a day but mine is more in the 5-10% range and I just need time to build it back up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

if one can afford to live in apartment/house alone its grand but many posters seem like they would develop depression if they had opportunity, id say many would prefer that and it sort of makes you realize your responsible for everything and what you do in your spare time its up to you.

This thread really cements an opinion of mine that "opposites attract" isn't really true, not in my experience at least, I think introverts and extroverts can only match up so much, I know I couldn't live and be in a relationship with someone who was incapable of shutting the f*** up for more than 2 mins and enjoying peace and quiet or couldn't do things on their own, I have friends who not only can't do certain things without their partner but can't even conceive of the idea, i.e going to the cinema or to a cafe etc alone

Friend : Im bored today
    Me: Im working but why go not go to the cinema?
    Friend : Sure the wife is working
    Me: Ya but just go alone, its dead on a weekday
    Friend: what do you mean?
    Me: cinema....go there
    Friend : alone?? *acting as if I'm a serial killer psycho for suggesting such a thing*

You get the idea.....I don't know how that could work but it would be interesting if people find it works for them though maybe I'm wrong

This thread really cements an opinion of mine that "opposites attract" isn't really true, not in my experience at least, I think introverts and extroverts can only match up so much, I know I couldn't live and be in a relationship with someone who was incapable of shutting the f*** up for more than 2 mins and enjoying peace and quiet or couldn't do things on their own, I have friends who not only can't do certain things without their partner but can't even conceive of the idea, i.e going to the cinema or to a cafe etc alone

Friend : Im bored today
    Me: Im working but why go not go to the cinema?
    Friend : Sure the wife is working
    Me: Ya but just go alone, its dead on a weekday
    Friend: what do you mean?
    Me: cinema....go there
    Friend : alone?? *acting as if I'm a serial killer psycho for suggesting such a thing*

You get the idea.....I don't know how that could work but it would be interesting if people find it works for them though maybe I'm wrong

Ha I actually loled at that.
    Oh god no I couldn't cope. I used to date a guy that literally couldn't be alone...he'd have friends over all the time. So if we'd stayed together...moved in etc...he would have had people over constantly. I'd have been miserable with people over like that all the time.

Lots of people I know couldn't cope with the idea of doing things alone. There is not many things I love more than going out on the bike for 6 hours. Alone. Just me and all the crazy sh*t that goes on in my head. People ask me what I *think* about while I'm out running/cycling/swimming for a long time. I'm all like "uhhh I dunno...stuff"

People ask me what I *think* about while I'm out running/cycling/swimming for a long time. I'm all like "uhhh I dunno...stuff"

Ha ha yes! I've gotten that too!......."what are you thinking about?"......I mean Jesus I don't know lots of things!

I actually prefer going to the cinema alone for example than going with certain friends because they'll talk through it or play with their phones and Ill have a big f*** off light shining in my face as they do it, if i go alone I can go when I want (weekdays only so theres hardly anyone else there naturally:o) and to what I want....its great!.....and thats whats great about my gf, she's so anti social that she doesn't like to go at all "there'll be too many annoying people there" so I don't have to compromise in what I see or anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've only recently discovered going to the cinema alone. Great job during the week. No one else around, the whole cinema to yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you're a male over 30 then people will think you're a nonce if you go to the cinema alone.

:(

That's the end of that so.

But seriously, I see no issue with anyone of any age doing it.

Yep!.....my friends think its really weird I do it but I couldn't care less

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've only recently discovered going to the cinema alone. Great job during the week. No one else around, the whole cinema to yourself :)

I got to see "inglorious Basterds" alone years ago on some Tuesday morning, only time Ive ever managed it and it was bliss!.....massive screen all to myself and no one talking, eating loudly or updating f***ing Facebook near me

Yes Im a cranky bastard :o

Only if you're male?

You can also go to a coffee shop alone (sans laptop), a pub alone, a restaurant alone etc...sometimes servers in restaurants can be a bit taken aback when you request a table for one(only ever done it at lunch if I'm going for a late lunch at work or if travelling alone)
    Enjoying time alone so much, makes me really appreciate and enjoy the people I do spend time with

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It has its advantages but i can find it pretty tough on occasion. Sometimes I feel I'm gonna break down and cry. Nowhere to go nothing to do with my time. I get lonely. So lonely, living on my own.

Bring a book, or a newspaper. :)
    What did people do pre-smartphones?

• Advertisement

Advertisement