Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

There's no comparison between Dowling and O'Dalaigh or Flanagan either.. let him develop..he's a sharp shooter but so far against 2 teams that have been fodder for Limerick. From what I've seen Cathal O Neill has moved on and will be a serious option this year.. but 7 into 6 won't go..

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

Out of interest....top scorers from play so far in the league:

Tom Morrissey: 0-14

O'Dalaigh: 1-9

Hayes: 1-6

Peter Casey: 0-8

Hegarty: 0-6

Flanagan: 0-5

Houlihan: 0-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Mod Edit

Warninng issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

O Dalaigh will start a championship match this year. Iv not much doubt about that. He's too good and he's tearing fellas apart in training. He gave Richie English an awful roasting the last week in training according to Melbourne and then Mike Casey got turned and burnt.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

O'Neill looked very good yesterday, he does look ready to start regularly.

7 into 6 doesn't do justice to the conundrum we face if all are fully fit. We've had selection headaches inadvertetly solved by long term injuries in the last few years. A nice problem now is Lynch coming back in. He'll presumably go back to 11 and Kyle goes back to 7. Which of Dan Morrissey or Mike Casey makes way? I actually think Dan is the better full back whereas Mike is a better all round hurler so I'd actually select Dan for that specific position. But Mike Casey on the bench alongside Richie English seems ludicrous.

O'Neill for me seems a good like for like replacement for Tom Morrissey but you could play the two of them alongside Hegarty if Lynch returns to midfield - meaning one of O'Donovan or O'Donoghue dropping out but the three of them were rotated in the 2019 championship so there is precedent. The full forward line will more than likely be Gillane - Flanagen - Casey; Mulcahy will still set a great example and absolutely empty himself in terms of defending from the front but he no longer appears to be a scoring threat at this level. Therein lies the opening for O'Brien and O'Dalaigh but the management team clearly rate David Reidy very highly and Conor Boylan and Oisín O'Reilly seem to be part of their plans. Add in Micheál Houlihan and we're talking about having to pick 6 starting spots and 4 second half sub appearances from at least 13 players.

The starting team may not be any stronger but the depth is shaping up very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rjoe90

The options in the full forward line is crazy, would expect Gillane, Flanagan and Casey will start. Donnacha O Dalaigh is proving to be a serious addition and would imagine himself and mulcahy would be the first subs here. It is maybe too early for o brien who might stay with the 20s.

O’Neill is looking like it will be tough to leave him out but as good as he is, it is a tough line to break into over Morrissey, lynch or hegarty and may have to settle for a spot on the bench.

Any word on when the 20s team will be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only yesterday you were telling us he is better than Flanagan. And just after this stupid post you have one saying he will start the championship.

Worry bout your own county Peggy.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

I wouldn’t say it’s stupid to suggest O Dalaigh will start a championship game. If you do well in training/matches Kiely will reward you. I would definitely have him over Boylan & O’Reilly for the corner forward spot if there is to be a change/injury and probably O’Brien given his age and also English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭billyhead

How did Hannon play yesterday. Great to see him back after his injury.

• Advertisement

Semi final confirmed for PnG 7:30 on Saturday.

Hannon was Very good, solid as ever.

Hannon was fine, wasn’t under any major pressure so was his normal efficient self, mopped up a lot of ball and distributed efficiently. Yellow card for a misjudged shoulder. He wasn’t that big of an injury concern, just being extra cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Will there be a bit of shadow boxing on Sat or will both teams go for it do ye think?

Ide say Limerick will continue with the same kinda mix they have used all league.

No need to shadow box. Everyone knows who we are and what we do.

I don’t think Limerick will shadow box. Once we have got this far I think they will go all out to win it. We will probably see the same mix of starters/backups as we have all year.

Interesting about Tipp, the last thing that they would want however is to take a heavy hiding only a few weeks out from Clare in ennis which is must win for them.

It will be a good test for both teams to see where they are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

oh I think it'll be full blooded why wouldn't it be? Great opportunity for tipp to test their wares v the all Ireland champs. Plus for us it'll be a good challenge, I reckon the 4 teams will want to win it from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Hopefully we'll see some of the players just outside the team get an outing, such as O'Neill, Murphy, R English, Boylan, don't need to go all out for it this early but no harm for those guys to be given a chance to get up to a more championship intensity.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Threadban list updated in op.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Does anyone know if Graeme is injured?

Thats what I meant will he leave Casey at corner back leave Hayes at wing back,maybe play Lynch at midfield and O'Neill at centre forward.Maybe start O'Dhailigh and Casey in the corners and Gillane at full forward.Theres lots of permutations open to Kiely to keep everyone guessing for the championship,and still have a very strong lineup.

• Advertisement

It's not really gonna keep anyone guessing though. Or starting 15 against Waterford will be our All Ireland final team with the exception of injuries.

Not too sure about that wouldn't be surprised to see Dan at full back,Hayes wing back and O,Neill maybe forcing his way in and Lynch is a certain starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think Kiely will start the championship with those who are performing in training irrespective of reputation. The in house games behind closed doors will be a factor.

Cian lynch and Peter Casey will come in from the all Ireland 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

A friend of mine from Wexford cannot see them qualifying through Leinster. Though Dublin can shoot themselves in the foot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

I'm guessing there has been rotation of players in and out of the match day panels also during the league for welfare/not over loading - we seem to have avoided bad injuries compared to other teams so far. I wouldn't get worried about starting teams either - this Limerick team has always been about the squad and the guys coming on just taking over. The intensity from here on in will only be going up and unfortunately injuries will be a factor I'd imagine. I think Tipp will be well up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The Waterfotd v Limerick U20 match has been postponed due to unplayable pitch

Common sense long overdue, pure daft that the minor game went ahead last night.

Will the team be named tonight?

• Advertisement

More than likely. Normally 9pm two days before the game.

That's a very strong side. Hayes and Hegarty off the bench if we need them.

Dan Morrissey and Flanagan too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That's as strong a 26 I've seen in Kiely's tenure, not good news for the rest of us. Would I be right in saying bar David Reidy and English and O'Brien playing u20 that's your strongest 26.

Maybe Adam English,the bench is looking very strong for later in the year hopefully for sure

Be interesting to see how good the full forward line works. Should be a good game.

Is Graeme Mulcahy injured?

Excellent opportunity for O’Dalaigh. We have 5 All-Star winners, a HOTY and a YHOTY on the bench.

Very happy with the depth. Injuries will happen again, hopefully no cruciate injuries this year, we’ve had more than our fair share of those in the last 6 years.

Very interesting team, happy to see o Dalaigh and O neil starting. Really like the look of that full forward line, real speed and scoring threat amongst the three of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Mackey stand sold out and half of openatand gone at 9AM this morning, be 20K there tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

How do you know half of the open stand is gone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Co Board get updates on tickets sold for steward numbers

Brilliant.

I'm sure loads more will sell today seeing as there is no panic of a sell out.

We're just that bit off. Tipp slicker. Not bad for a league game. Forwards not seeing much ball.

Odd performance. Had a burst of 10/15 minutes but otherwise messy enough with lot of misplaced passes. Definitely a league game! I thought Cian Lynch was man of the match.

O'Dalaigh looked brilliant tonight. He has serious pace for getting into to space for a pass.

Some great play around the middle especially the half backs.

• Advertisement

Cian Lynch played his best game of the year so far. O’Dálaigh put himself firmly in contention to be a starter, not just one of the 55 minute subs. O’Neill looks to have improved this year.

Potential second string - McCarthy; F.O’Connor, R.English, Costello; Coughlan, Connolly, D.Morrisey; A.English, Murphy; Houlihan, O’Neill, Boylan; O’Brien, Mulcahy, O’Dálaigh.

Reidy, O’Reilly not even on that. The training games must be something else. Seems ridiculous to be calling David Reidy a third choice. The depth is very healthy indeed.

When the midfield and half back line came into it in the 2nd half there was only going to be one winner.Great to win without emptying the bench ,and when u consider Mul,Reidy,Adam English and Shane O'brien weren't even there it shows the depth in the squad.Pleasantly surprised with Coughlan and O,'Dhalaig ,thought Lynch and Tom Morrissey were outstanding

Couldn't see Dan Morrisey as a second string player tbh

Only 11k in attendance - 17k went to the Munster game.

16k went to the Clare game on a Saturday night under lights. Fair to say that Thomond park won out for literally thousands who picked between the two.

Thomond is a better supporter experience. The concourse under the Mackey Stand is largely the same as it was in the 1980’s. The concourses in the other stands are basic at best.

The North Stand - the seats are 19 years old and need to be replaced. They are faded and the iron weight to keep them in an upright position when not in use has rusted and in many cases fallen off, leaving rusted metal bars just lying there. It is banked well however - if you sit up in the back row you will actually be looking down at the commentary gantry in the Mackey Stand. The North Stand does offer a decent view although it is still not on the same level as Thomond in that respect. It would be nice if the North Stand could be covered but may not be possible as the residents behind might rightfully object.

Oh, and give it a name at long last. Tommy Quaid stand. Done.

Mackey Stand. It’s covered, that’s literally the only positive thing I can say about it. Poorly banked, big pillars, outdated, knock it and start over!

Not looking for the Gaelic Grounds to rival Croke Park but we should be matching the facilities on offer at Semple Stadium and Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Pairc na nGael could definitely do with an update.

Didn't look like 17k on TV or when I passed by. Loads of seats empty and 2 terraces closed.

Just noticed too that Wikipedia has the Uncovered stand in PnG listed as the Angela's Ashes stand 🤔

• Advertisement
Advertisement