Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ide have Casey over Morrissey in the backs but it's very very fine margins as to who is the better of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Morrissey, Hegarty and Lynch start every day if available, it's not even up for debate. I think Morrissey has started every championship game for kiely since the start of 2018 plus he's been our best player this year.

Our FF line is the one that has competition. Flanagan has been so so. Casey only getting going. Gillane with just 1 game. Mulcahy near the end now.

To make space for the likes of an O'Neill or O'Dalaigh you're probably dropping Flanagan now or Gillane performance depending or moving Lynch back to midfield.

Minimum 7 of 8, Byrnes Hannon Hayes O'Donovan O'Donoghue Morrissey Lynch Hegarty will start every round robin championship game this year. All 8 start a Munster final or All Ireland semi or final. We can live with losing 2 of that 8 easily aswell and cope.

It's the FB and FF lines that have spaces available.

God knows what happens if Quaid gets injured. Pivotal to us, our quick resets and restarts. Laser puckouts. McCarthy named as 16. Havnt seen him since Cork where he was underwhelming but deserving of more time. Very little time given to backup gks considering Hennessey retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I agree totally on quaid, I'd go as far as saying he's irreplaceable, with the exception of possibly hannon everyone else is replaceable. not that we want any injuries.

strong kk team named I've no doubt they're the biggest threat this yr

Yep losing Quaid would involve a big rethink to how we play.

As for outfield player we managed to do it without Cian Lynch last year. He would be irreplaceable on 99% of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

A cakewalk today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shocs07

It was but their shooting was very sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

If ever there was proof needed how much TJ Reid is carrying that KK team today was it.I said it after last years final if he wasn't there the score would have been similar to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭MfMan

Can't believe how some here think Kilkenny are Limerick's closest challengers. Relying on aging players for inspiration and nothing coming through from the underage ranks. Shame on Dublin and Wexford for not being able to push them harder in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭rjoe90

Comfortable victory, really good league for Limerick who blooded a lot of players who can contribute come championship. Good to see O Dalaigh and O Brien get minutes who you would expect to play championship.

• Advertisement

Amazing how one match has turned the kilkenny page into a graveyard. Drop 9 players, get rid of Lyng, Cody is at fault etc. They had a bad day at the office for them end of.

I thought our lads did well. They certainly had to deal with alot of high awkward challenges.

Considering the wastlefulness of the forwards, they could have been beaten Kilkenny a far sight more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

our game in the football clashed so didnt see it , i imagine they will be stronger come the latter part of the championship , they in my opinion would be the closest to ye in fairness

Great win for Clare

That's a huge win for Clare or less likely Limerick. Winner I believe is in Sam at the expense of Kildare (as it stands)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, there has been strange stuff from Kilkenny such as constant assertions that Richie Hogan needs to come back when his day is done. They are in a dilemma with Walter Walsh and TJ Reid in that both, for ball winning capacity (albeit neither will trouble the scoreboard too much), are probably better than what they have but are at the end of their days too. If they go without them they are weaker in the short run, go with them and they are weaker in the long run. Padraig Walsh is finished as well.

The positive from their perspective is that they are nearly guaranteed qualification through Leinster, and you wouldn't put a farthing on Galway beating them in the Leinster final based on recent experience. They could end up in an All Ireland final again without needing to be the "second best" team. But in a way that's also a negative as it perpetuates high expectations and encourages the manager to defer confronting the difficult transition ahead.

But you are correct that the idea that they are Limerick's closest challengers is not based on reality and is probably heavily influenced by the fact that they managed to come out of an All Ireland final which they never led with honour intact. If Brian Cody looked at that match as a genuine sign of how close they were to Limerick he'd have stayed on for another year to win another title. Instead I think he left knowing that this would be as good as his exit was likely to be.

They have pinned their hopes on a manager with a very limited CV who was fortunate enough to win a single All Ireland under-20 title. And Shefflin has shown little enough with Galway to imply that he is a tactical genius waiting to return.

Kilkenny are firmly in the pack, with every sign that all the strong counties are at least as good as them. Even an in decline Wexford could beat them if they are willing to wire into them in Wexford Park. Dublin cannot be trusted to deliver a consistent enough performance. They seem to find a variety of ways to lose to Kilkenny. Difficult to see how they will get the hardness of attitude to beat Kilkenny rather than being honoured to play them. But today was poor. Limerick's League semi-final was a far more intense affair for long periods. Kilkenny are vulnerable against many opponents at this point and in no way an obvious second best team. It's a reality that will take many people in many counties time to process but it is a reality.

Post edited by Rosita on

i heard ye had a pretty deaccent win yourselves , will watch it tomorrow , sounded impressive

today was just only our 5th win in championship v cork

i believe today was only limericks 5th league win

hopefully for both counties its a sign of the future and a positive indicator of bridging gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick's 14th League title, now level with Cork. Tipp and Kilkenny level on 19.

For what it's worth the only county to win 5 leagues in a row. way back in the 1930's.

yeah sorry id be no good haggling down in and around Denmark st

Thanks bud , great win but remember last year , ye kinda done the grand slam on us , screw treaty united or young Munster it was that bad !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

On yesterdays league final & Tipp in semi final its hard to see anyone beating or getting close to Limerick this year , limericks second 15 would give most counties bags of it .

If Kilkenny hadnt caught Limerick in the All Ireland semi in 2019, Limerick would be going for 6 in a row!

• Advertisement

I hear that a lot but it's very insulting to the team who actually won the All Ireland in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I was one that thought kilkenny were a big threat I'm not sure about yesterday they were so poor, was moving lawlor and missing tj that big a deal? whatever about them being 2nd they're surely better than what they showed yesterday??

They completely lost confidence in the full forward line. Couldn't put it into them because are full backs were so good and afraid to shoot around the midfield. Just passing around like a football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Absolutely agree. This Limerick 2nd team talk is either bait or uninformed tripe imo. The combined championship starts for our 2nd 15 is probably around 20 in total across 15 players and about 16 of those starts would be from English.

Peoples memory of 2019 seems to be limited to the munster final aswell. We lost 3 of our 6 games that year. Tipp tore the championship up. To ignore our losses against cork tipp and Kilkenny and claim we should have won and would be on for 6 in a row is ridiculous.

We were a very beatable team in 18 and 19. Cork x 2 draws over 70 mins, a hammering in clare in 2018 and 3 losses in 2019.

2019 made this Limerick team what they are today. Without that years failure I think the future could perhaps have been different

Could always argue that if Limerick won 2019 that could've been our lot. We will never know. Jackie Tyrell reckons that defeat to the Cats was actually a springboard to the team Limerick have now become. he says Kilkenny suffered the exact same scenario themselves back in his day and they made a pact among themselves in the dressing room after that defeat that ultimately made them the great team we all know they were. Yesterday proved just how great TJ still is. Without him in last year's final it could well have been a 7/8 point victory for Limerick. When he returns, along with big Wallie and Richie Hogan (though both ageing too now) they will be a different team. Not A.I. winners but a big step-up from the shambles in Cork y/day. Semi-finalists or possibly even finalists again.

I think that's a bit unfair on Kilkenny to just say the difference was TJ or Hogan. There were great performances all over the pitch last year that were not there yesterday. Ide say the difference in just the flow of the game and also competition contributed.

I think more that anything this league proved what a loss Lynch was last year.

Agree. Huw Lawler for example was outstanding in the final. But think the contribution of TJ and the introduction of Wallie and Hogan was the difference between a one score game and a hiding. It's a testament to Kiely, Kinnerk and the sideline gurus who were able to rally the entire squad to win an A.I. without Lynch and Casey. If anyone had said on the night he hobbled off V Waterford that we would reach and win a final without him and Casey they would probably be laughed out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think this is far too simplistic a take, small margins got Limerick over the line in 2018 the same way small margins stopped Limerick in 2019, can't see ye being stopped this year, reminds me alot of Kilkenny in 2008. Would require freakish stuff in a knockout game like a raft of injuries to key players or a red card very early in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

One other point. How would the AIF have gone if Gullane was fully fit. His displays v Waterford, Tipp, Galway last year and KK yesterday were light years ahead of how he played, when restricted, in the Final last year.

• Advertisement

Yesterday showed how effective Gillane is when not having a player climb all over him every time he tries to run into space.

He has been let down far too often by refs and umpires.

Advertisement