Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

The question of which is the best team in the country is subjective. It can be anyone you like. The point I made about Limerick in 2018/19 is that the team suffered 4 defeats in those two championships.

The team in 2020/21/22 suffered no defeats. I would say that means something. The team now is undeniably a great team. Back in 2018/19 it was not a great team. In 2018 Limerick lost heavily to Clare and drew with Cork twice. In 2019 they lost to Cork and Kilkenny (we'll leave out Tipperary if it's easier for you). So they played Cork three times in 2018/19 and were ahead of them in none of these games after 70 minutes. Funny now how Limerick are considered so dominant over Cork.

By definition I would say that "great" teams do not have gaps in their record where they lose a few matches. So by that metric I would stand over the view that Limerick were "not great" back then. To me it's self-evident. Not sure that's really controversial unless someone is motivated by blind loyalty?

Obviously the team had great qualities as shown most notably on the All Ireland semi final in 2018 when Cork had them seriously on the ropes, and unlike the 2019 Munster Final it was actually a do or die game. But genuine greatness was still down the road.

Like I said, the question of the "best team" is whatever you're having yourself. But the argument about a "great" team has been fleshed out by me. Can't say much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

My God but he's full of sh1t...no need for a Championship this year, just present Liam to Limerick before the Waterford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

I hope it doesn't come back to bite him in the hole,a stupid article if ever there was one

• Advertisement

I doubt anyone is gonna remember a sensationalist Extra.ie article come July.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Tom is a funny dude, he wears his heart on his sleeve, has a way with words and a tendency to put his foot in his mouth, [or both feet] a great entertainer no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

The same lad who didn’t know what to do when limerick had a spare man in 96 against Wexford. As he said himself you wouldn’t know wether to laugh or cry.

One thing I will agree with Tom on is everyone else being behind on tactics.

It might just be the media and not the actual managers but it sounds like a lot of teams are showing up with tactics to beat 2022 Limerick whereas we have already moved on.

"You need goals against this Limerick team" is the current one or "exploit the slow start" but that can lead to wasting chances or burning out of you force it.

Of what I have heard only Anthony Daly is saying teams need to play their own game first.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭rjoe90

You can come up with all the tactics in the world but when you come up against 15 better players who are exceptionally well drilled it won’t be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Just like Derek McGrath said about Waterford last year. Hope the outcome is not the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Another win for the minors against Tipp, they play Cork at home next for a place in the final, if they win or draw into a Munster Final and a guaranteed All Ireland Semi, if they lose they get another chance against a very impressive Clare side.

Derek wasn't talking about 4 time All Ireland winners.

Either way it doesn't matter. If you are any good a bit of waffle from Derek or Tom won't be what wins or loses the All Ireland for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭shocs07

Anyone see the minor match last night. Good to win again but how did they perform?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

wasn't at it but will be for game v cork, there's a report up on munster gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Very strong looking Limerick team named for Sunday, hard to see that team been beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭shocs07

Great fightback by the u20s in the 2nd half. Woeful in the 1st half.

Not sure what they're feeding them in Tipp but 2nd halves don't suit them

So the narrative for tomorrow is we're going to steamroll Waterford?? I don't see this happening, look I know we're top class but Waterford are an excellent side that despite most people thinking the opposite I actually think they've a right chance of getting out of munster.

Davys not my cup of tea but he's around too long not to get a performance out of top players.

Limerick to win but way tighter than most think for me

The narrative is we will steamroll everyone but it's mostly coming from outside. Limerick fans are smarter than falling for that.

1st season Davy usually has everyone fired up so I'm expecting a game.

Yes agreed.

The "real stuff" starts tomorrow no more holding back. I think limerick mgmt have the lads well drilled on what to expect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

There will be no steamrolling this whole championship but Limerick are an 80 minutes team!

I expect Waterford to come out hard and fast but they won't be able to maintain it!

I fancy Limerick to take charge midway through second half they always have another gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many teams have given Limerick bags of it in the opening half but tend to fizzle out in the second half.

Waterford in Limerick last year was like that , the quiteness of the Waterford camp is really unusual...like been on the front line in Ukraine waiting for the russians to come at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If the league is anything to go by,(which I'm not sure if it is)..since last year limerick have improved considerably/ tipp have improved also..and everyone else has regressed..I would write Waterford off due to crazy Davy..he is toxic wherever he goes..kinnerk covered for.him with clare ..its easy see how other teams think limerick will.win the all.ireland at their ease..

Pick any team and ask yourself how.many of.them.would make.the limerick team.. in most cases its 2or 3 tops..

Who for example from Waterford would break onto the limerick starting 15..de burca.. hutchinson..Gleeson maybe..that's even very debatable

There is an idea floating around that if you get in the face of this Limerick team early on and get a few goals you can take them.

All evidence suggests it's clearly untrue and teams are burning themselves out but it still gets mentioned by lazy pundits.

Davy's record is very good. He usually leaves a team in ruins and days it goes wrong it goes very wrong but overall teams get further with Davy than they do before or after him.

Made winners out of barely contenders like Clare and Wexford. Brought Waterford to a first final in 45 years (went horribly wrong)

He is a very good manager but as a big personality manager he just like his soccer equivalents can't be relied on long term.

Does that mean you agree with everything else i said 😀

That is a very good point..teams seem to think they need to beat limerick in the first 5 minutes..its almost like the Ali rope a dope....limerick soak up the pressure in the first 20/40 minutes depending on quality of the opposition then up it a gear and game over within the next 10 minutes..its impressive to be fair

They had 3 close games against Clare, Galway and Kilkenny last year and all 3 were fairly level in intensity all the way through iirc.

I also felt all 3 teams played their own game and played Limerick man to man.

• Advertisement

Agreed..I said it my own county page..Limerick won't be beaten by trying to copy them

Tipp in 2010 beat us by doing their own thing

We beat cork in 2006 by doing our own thing

Advertisement