Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Co Board get updates on tickets sold for steward numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Brilliant.

I'm sure loads more will sell today seeing as there is no panic of a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

We're just that bit off. Tipp slicker. Not bad for a league game. Forwards not seeing much ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

Odd performance. Had a burst of 10/15 minutes but otherwise messy enough with lot of misplaced passes. Definitely a league game! I thought Cian Lynch was man of the match.

O'Dalaigh looked brilliant tonight. He has serious pace for getting into to space for a pass.

Some great play around the middle especially the half backs.

• Advertisement

Cian Lynch played his best game of the year so far. O’Dálaigh put himself firmly in contention to be a starter, not just one of the 55 minute subs. O’Neill looks to have improved this year.

Potential second string - McCarthy; F.O’Connor, R.English, Costello; Coughlan, Connolly, D.Morrisey; A.English, Murphy; Houlihan, O’Neill, Boylan; O’Brien, Mulcahy, O’Dálaigh.

Reidy, O’Reilly not even on that. The training games must be something else. Seems ridiculous to be calling David Reidy a third choice. The depth is very healthy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

When the midfield and half back line came into it in the 2nd half there was only going to be one winner.Great to win without emptying the bench ,and when u consider Mul,Reidy,Adam English and Shane O'brien weren't even there it shows the depth in the squad.Pleasantly surprised with Coughlan and O,'Dhalaig ,thought Lynch and Tom Morrissey were outstanding

Couldn't see Dan Morrisey as a second string player tbh

Only 11k in attendance - 17k went to the Munster game.

16k went to the Clare game on a Saturday night under lights. Fair to say that Thomond park won out for literally thousands who picked between the two.

Thomond is a better supporter experience. The concourse under the Mackey Stand is largely the same as it was in the 1980’s. The concourses in the other stands are basic at best.

The North Stand - the seats are 19 years old and need to be replaced. They are faded and the iron weight to keep them in an upright position when not in use has rusted and in many cases fallen off, leaving rusted metal bars just lying there. It is banked well however - if you sit up in the back row you will actually be looking down at the commentary gantry in the Mackey Stand. The North Stand does offer a decent view although it is still not on the same level as Thomond in that respect. It would be nice if the North Stand could be covered but may not be possible as the residents behind might rightfully object.

Oh, and give it a name at long last. Tommy Quaid stand. Done.

Mackey Stand. It’s covered, that’s literally the only positive thing I can say about it. Poorly banked, big pillars, outdated, knock it and start over!

Not looking for the Gaelic Grounds to rival Croke Park but we should be matching the facilities on offer at Semple Stadium and Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Pairc na nGael could definitely do with an update.

Didn't look like 17k on TV or when I passed by. Loads of seats empty and 2 terraces closed.

Just noticed too that Wikipedia has the Uncovered stand in PnG listed as the Angela's Ashes stand 🤔

• Advertisement

Based on an assumed starting line up of Finn, Casey, Nash; Byrnes, Hannon, Hayes. Dan at 3 means benching Casey. Dan at 7 means either benching Hayes or pushing him into the forwards at the expense of another big name.

A wonderful problem to have.

I didn’t see it so maybe that figure is just the total number of tickets sold including season ticket holders rather than a count of bodies through the turnstiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

There were FAR more than 11K in the Gaelic Grounds. Under 16’s were free admission last night, 11K included seasonn tickets and online sales.

I was in Thomond as well , good crowd but certainly not 17K !!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

A really really good league for us. Make no mistakes that was a proper test of our metal. Adding competition to the starting lineup and a bit more depth than we have had. Coughlan O'Neill, O'Dalaigh all excellent. Have we seen the last of Mulcahy, one of our greatest ever in my opinion.

Barring the 2nd half wind down against Cork and the 1st half yesterday it has been cruise control in the league. Tipp gave us something to think about 1st half yesterday but our power play after half time won the game. I can see Tipp improving in the next month, they might be a 35th to 50th minute performance away from being our biggest opposition this year.

Pity we didnt give Power another go in goals but it was a team set up to win the game and probably the league.

Agree with everything said on the Gaelic Grounds. Mackey stand is not fit for purpose as a main stand in so many ways and with the alternative being an uncovered stand its a poor offer for fans on a cold wet Saturday night not even taking into account the rugby and traffic. The facilities are poor under the stands. The two terraces, while having really good slopes, railings and access, are both let down badly by having the two floodlight pillars basically block each corner.

Rebuild the Mackey with some proper facilities. Build corporate facilities at the back of the uncovered stand, re-seat and roof it. Fit out proper facilities underneath, shop/bar spaces and better toilets and move the floodlights. That would make it a better stadium to the Pairc at an absolute fraction of the cost of what Cork spent.

There definitely wasn’t. Mackey stand was at most 80% full. 7k or 7.5k at a push in an 9k capacity stand.

Open Stand was about a third full. 12k capacity stand. Reasonably full in the middle but practically empty either side.

Capacity of both stands is 21k, it was definitely no more than a bit over half full.

Roofing the Uncovered and building new facilities on the ESB station which PnG owns now are in the plans but god knows when especially the way things are right now.

They started taking card in the shops which is about as much of an upgrade as we will get any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭C4000

Would love to see redevelopment but its the costs in the current climate that are the issue. The previous redevelopment in the early 2000s cost 10m, with JP writing a cheque for half of that. You'd be looking at multiples of that now. They had no choice but to redevelop at the time as the fire officer had capped the capacity at a level which prevented championship matches being held there after the crush at the Clare match in 96.

Jaysus I don’t remember that in 96. I was in the sideline seats that day. Was anyone injured?

Great match last night, akin to a championship match. Powerful stuff in the second half with Hannon, Nash and Lynch excellent. O'Neill getting very close to a starting position at this stage. O Dalaigh looks a natural corner forward, he has a lovely sidestep and ability to make space for himself.

In fairness the redevelopment being asked for above is much less work that what happened in the 00s

• Advertisement

It got very dodgy at the end......the game wasn't all ticket and there were way to many left in. Huge surge towards bottleneck exits at the final whistle. I was 12 at the time and right in the middle of it getting carried along by the crowd. It was pure luck that there wasn't a disaster.

Knocking the mackey and rebuilding with corporate facilities and roofing the uncovered stand would be as big a job as what was done then and would cost several times the price.

Ya I missed the knock the Mackey bit.

The 3000 seater stand and upgrade works in Kildare are costing €12.9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Attendance at Limerick v Tipp last night was 11,812 Adults,Students & OAPS. It doesnt count under 16s who go through free turnstiles, at a reasonable guess there was 4000 juveniles in free last night so there was circa 16,000 people inside the ground but 11,812 only paid in. This is from someone who does the gates.

The GAA generally ( apart from croke park & PUC) only counts those who pay on the night whereas some other organisations count season ticket holders as well even if their not in attendance . Limerick have 3,500( maximum allowed ) hurling season ticket holders but these are not counted ad only counted if they attend the match in question.

PS There was a very small amount of Tipperary supporters there last night maybe 1500 tops.

Going by whatever counting system they used in the last World Cup both matches were a sell out 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

Correct

Garda estimated 15-16 K

Very poor attendance from Tipp either way

My wild guess of venue, date and time of the league final is Saturday the 8th at 7:00 in Thurles.

Didn't see the match today,what was it like did they go for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement

Just a wild guess. Not that wild though as I think it’s exactly what happened last year anyway.

Advertisement