Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misuse of Disabled parking badges!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Tickets for parking in disabled spaces are probably one of the most enforced offences. The problem that arises is that most disabled spaces are on private property and unless a space is designated by the council the disabled sign may as well be a decoration. Give Gardaí the power to enforce this issue on private property and there'd be a big change.

I booked into a motel in the US recently and, the only room available was the "disabled " room which I was given as it was very late at night and no further guests were expected. However as the space outside the room was designated disabled I could not park my car there . Even thought it was on private property the police still had enforcement powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Wasn't it a Michael Mcintyre bit where he said we all secretly watch people getting out of cars in disabled spaces to see if they're disabled enough? I remember one time when I had a leg injury I limped from one of the back car parks in work and passed a fella getting out of a car in a disabled spot right at the front. There didn't seem to be much wrong with him at all! I was limping more than that ****er! :D

As others have said though, abuse does get reported and prosecuted. I often moan about the sheer number of disabled spaces around when parking is scarce, but those few months of limping around were a stark reminder that I'd never swap with someone who genuinely needs one of those badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Just as an aside, can someone genuinely explain to me why handicap is offensive but disabled is not?

The definition of disable is "to put out of action"and disabled came about as a past tense of that word. Obviously in daily usage people know that disabled means that someone has a physical impairment.

The definition of handicap is "a disadvantage imposed on a superior competitor in sports such as golf, horse racing, and competitive sailing in order to make the chances more equal." Handicapped came about as an adjective from this root. Again obviously in daily usage people understand it to mean that someone has a physical impairment.

Why is one offensive and the other ok? Being honest I'd prefer if someone considered me at a disadvantage than being put out of action.

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wasn't it a Michael Mcintyre bit where he said we all secretly watch people getting out of cars in disabled spaces to see if they're disabled enough? I remember one time when I had a leg injury I limped from one of the back car parks in work and passed a fella getting out of a car in a disabled spot right at the front. There didn't seem to be much wrong with him at all! I was limping more than that ****er! :D

As others have said though, abuse does get reported and prosecuted. I often moan about the sheer number of disabled spaces around when parking is scarce, but those few months of limping around were a stark reminder that I'd never swap with someone who genuinely needs one of those badges.
    Not all disabilities are visible. You can't diagnose by watching someone walking from their car. That's why we leave it to doctors to diagnose.
    Just as an aside, can someone genuinely explain to me why handicap is offensive but disabled is not?

The definition of disable is "to put out of action"and disabled came about as a past tense of that word. Obviously in daily usage people know that disabled means that someone has a physical impairment.

The definition of handicap is "a disadvantage imposed on a superior competitor in sports such as golf, horse racing, and competitive sailing in order to make the chances more equal." Handicapped came about as an adjective from this root. Again obviously in daily usage people understand it to mean that someone has a physical impairment.

Why is one offensive and the other ok? Being honest I'd prefer if someone considered me at a disadvantage than being put out of action.

Genuine question.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/toolbox/acc/acc02.htm

http://www.onestops.info/article.php?article_id=14

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm confused now. Are you saying that you're using the pass that belongs to a dead person?

No. Of course I'm not. Just out of interest, have you read any of my posts, or did you just go straight to team outrage?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

endacl wrote: »
    No. Of course I'm not.

So you're going to risk him losing his pass for the sake of you paying a few quid for parking, or just finding shop(s) with free parking, as most people do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He hasn't got one. He's dead.
    No. Of course I'm not. Just out of interest, have you read any of my posts, or did you just go straight to team outrage?

:D

I'm totally confused now. What did you mean by 'he's dead', then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm totally confused now. What did you mean by 'he's dead', then?

He was talking about using his friends pass in the past tense. His friend has since passed away. As a result he doesn't use the pass anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In Texas, citizens can train to become volunteer parking enforcers!!

http://www.houstontx.gov/parking/volunteer.html

Advertisement