Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misuse of Disabled parking badges!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

TheChizler wrote: »
    There was a thread in legal discussion a couple of years back where the consensus was that the Gardaí could get involved, as even though it was private property it was still a public place that the public has access to. It was the same reasoning as why you still need tax and insurance in a private car park.

I think the parking bay must be designated by the council as a disabled bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I have always hated people who do this, unlike other posters however I seem to see it non stop in every disabled parking space. I used to say it to people but I got so many threats, so much abuse and so many i don't care answers that I just gave up. Maybe Dundalk is worse than the rest of the country or maybe I just see these things more, but either way am not tackling one of these again lest I be made to qualify for a badge myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's not naughty, that's disgraceful.

Not really. I wasn't discommoding any other disabled badge user. I wasn't ever in a disabled space. I wasn't ever using the badge for my own benefit. I only used it when acting as my friend's agent. The only benefit was to him, not having to pay a few quid for parking. If I'd insisted on him being with me, the only difference would have been (a) we'd have unnecessarily used a disabled space, or (b) even more on-street parking would have been used and not paid for because it'd take extra time lifting him in and out, loading/unloading his chair etc...

threetrees wrote: »
    Did you park in a disabled space with the badge or a regular space and just didn't pay because you displayed a badge? As far as I understand the badge only allows free parking in a disabled space, not regular spaces.

Regular space. I'm not a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ginger83

endacl wrote: »
    Regular space. I'm not a cnut.

To use the badge without the disabled person would mean YES YOU ARE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

My mother has given me her pass as she can't really drive anymore. I use it to bring her to the shops and mass and that.

Of course if in have the pass I'll use it myself when I'm in a rush or can't find a spot. Everyone here on their high horse would do the same!

No, we wouldn't. How would you feel if you couldn't park near enough to the shops or the Church for your mother to be able to access them because someone who didn't need a disabled space had just taken one because they happened to have a relative's badge in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

No, we wouldn't. How would you feel if you couldn't park near enough to the shops or the Church for your mother to be able to access them because someone who didn't need a disabled space had just taken one because they happened to have a relative's badge in the car?

There's always more than enough handicap spaces. Never had any bother finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There's always more than enough handicap spaces. Never had any bother finding one.

Thats disgraceful, i'd just block you in whether there were free spaces or not.

Why dont you spend a day in a wheelchair to see if your attitude changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Handicap Spaces? Are you 80 years old? That term is no longer used as it is deemed offensive.

How come then that I find it very hard to get a space? Oh wait....... it is because of ignorant 'people' like you.

Sooner or later you will be caught or someone will report you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Not really. I wasn't discommoding any other disabled badge user. I wasn't ever in a disabled space. I wasn't ever using the badge for my own benefit. I only used it when acting as my friend's agent. The only benefit was to him, not having to pay a few quid for parking. If I'd insisted on him being with me, the only difference would have been (a) we'd have unnecessarily used a disabled space, or (b) even more on-street parking would have been used and not paid for because it'd take extra time lifting him in and out, loading/unloading his chair etc...

You keep telling yourself that. The badge is a huge benefit to those with difficulties, like myself. The badge comes with responsibilities which the badge owner has agreed to and should be honoured. If the scheme gets undermined by cnutish behaviour like yours, it could easily lose credibility with the public and that will affect so many people.

Obviously, you have no moral problem abusing the badge, but hopefully the illegal aspect of it will catch up with you shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is the reality of parking problems experienced by many people with disabilities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/the-shortage-of-disabled-parking-spaces-prevents-us-from-participating-in-society-1.2785517

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

In Norn Iron it was one in nine on DLA. In some areas one in six.

DLA doesn't automatically qualify you for a blue badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I’ve learned that Losty is a bloody troll at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Your friend is risking losing his badge if it's found that you are using it. If he has a disability that will be a real loss to him. It's good if you to do things for him when he can't himself but leave the badge at home. Use like this is putting both him and you at risk of finding yourselves on the wrong side of the rules. The badge could be taken or you could be fined.

Ah here. For God sake. You'd swear I was going around murdering disabled people in their sleep. I have my mam's pass in the car for bringing her to and from mass and meeting her friend for a cup of tea.

It's already in the car so obviously the temptation is there to just pull the audi in to a spot when I see 3 or 4 in a row unoccupied. Half the time I'm doing the shopping for her in anyways.

I seen on Facebook today that Operation Enable are issuing Court Proceedings for misuse of the Permits plus seizing it. Long may it continue.

Ah here. For God sake. You'd swear I was going around murdering disabled people in their sleep. I have my mam's pass in the car for bringing her to and from mass and meeting her friend for a cup of tea.

It's already in the car so obviously the temptation is there to just pull the audi in to a spot when I see 3 or 4 in a row unoccupied. Half the time I'm doing the shopping for her in anyways.

Doing shopping for her is no excuse. You're just being lazy, at the expense of people with disabilities.

Doing shopping for her is no excuse. You're just being lazy, at the expense of people with disabilities.

You'd prefer if I dragged her along with me. Just so me using the pass is justified.

You'd prefer if I dragged her along with me. Just so me using the pass is justified.

No, I'd prefer that you didn't abuse her disabled parking pass. Is there any good reason why you can't just park properly?

We would prefer to see a photo of your car being towed by Operation Enable and a Court Summons.

• Advertisement

If you don't have the physical ability to bring your shopping trolley to a standard parking spot like most able bodied people, perhaps you should apply for your own badge.

You keep telling yourself that. The badge is a huge benefit to those with difficulties, like myself. The badge comes with responsibilities which the badge owner has agreed to and should be honoured. If the scheme gets undermined by cnutish behaviour like yours, it could easily lose credibility with the public and that will affect so many people.

Obviously, you have no moral problem abusing the badge, but hopefully the illegal aspect of it will catch up with you shortly.

Ah, calm yerself down, FFS.

I wasn't abusing it. My pal was using it. He just wasn't there. I was acting as his agent.

Jerry* was profoundly disabled. He enjoyed painting. I used to pick up his art supplies for him from a shop in town.

Jerry didn't like the hassle/indignity of being lifted in and out of a car. He also didn't like to pay for accessible taxis. Fond though I was of him, I have to say that Jerry was a bit of a tightwad. He only had functional use of one hand, but he could use that hand to peel an orange in his pocket. :D

Now, if Jerry made things stricty 'legit' by coming along, we'd have to pack a bag with supplies in case of accident (pads/urinal etc. - I won't get too graphic). In the case of an accident, we'd have to find a pub with a disabled bathroom with plenty of floor space, and then explain that no, we weren't customers, but we really needed the loan of their jacks for 20 minutes...

We'd have to drive around hoping to find a free disabled space. And then unnecessarily use it. We'd spend a chunk of time at either end of the journey lifting him in and out, and packing a wheelchair.

Alternatively, I could spin in meself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours I spent visiting would be spent actually visiting, rather than farting about, doing things by the book. The only loser here was DCC, missing out on a euro or two in parking fees about once a month. And I left the disabled space free for you.

Not much chance of the 'illegal aspect' catching up with me. Jerry passed away a few years ago. If he was still with us, I'd still be happy to pick his bits and bobs up for him though.

*not his real name. Obviously.

Alternatively, I could spin in meself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours I spent visiting would be spent actually visiting, rather than farting about, doing things by the book. The only loser here was DCC, missing out on a euro or two in parking fees about once a month.
    Or alternatively, you could spin in yourself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours you spent visiting would be spent actually visiting. And you just pay for whatever parking you use, just like everyone else - and that avoids the risk of both you and him losing his disabled parking pass.

Or alternatively, you could spin in yourself, grab a handy spot, and be in and out of the shop in a matter of minutes. And the few hours you spent visiting would be spent actually visiting. And you just pay for whatever parking you use, just like everyone else - and that avoids the risk of both you and him losing his disabled parking pass.
    He hasn't got one. He's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Knine wrote: »

Handicap Spaces? Are you 80 years old? That term is no longer used as it is deemed offensive.

I think you’re overreacting a bit there and being ageist and intolerant. I still use that term and don’t think it’s offensive. They keep coming up with new words because whatever the current one is seems to have an expiry date where it suddenly becomes offensive.

Yeah, they’re trying to be nice but what they’re actually doing to giving people more words to abuse people.

Ah, calm yerself down, FFS.

I wasn't abusing it. My pal was using it. He just wasn't there. I was acting as his agent.

I gave up reading at this point. If you cannot grasp that this is illegal, immoral and against the conditions of use of the badge, what's the point of discussing it with you?

I think you’re overreacting a bit there and being ageist and intolerant. I still use that term and don’t think it’s offensive. They keep coming up with new words because whatever the current one is seems to have an expiry date where it suddenly becomes offensive.

Yeah, they’re trying to be nice but what they’re actually doing to giving people more words to abuse people.

Do you have a child with a disability? I do. I take offence to someone referring to her as handicapped? It is no longer a socially accepted term thankfully and anyone with a bit of cop on would not use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Well my late father did, because of people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

In some places / car parks there are plenty of disabled parking places, in others very few.

• Advertisement

He hasn't got one. He's dead.

I'm confused now. Are you saying that you're using the pass that belongs to a dead person?

Advertisement