Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misuse of Disabled parking badges!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Lollipop lady moved me on for obstructing.

Do you mean you allowed her to move you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Do you mean you allowed her to move you?

Legally you’re obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

diomed wrote: »
    My experience is a taxi is called or an ambulance if necessary.

Some people in nursing homes have relatives who care about them, and take them for outings.

It's not prison they're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

diomed wrote: »
    If people become residents of nursing homes their disabled parking permits should be cancelled.
    How did I come up with that idea?

Well this is certainly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

My mother has given me her pass as she can't really drive anymore. I use it to bring her to the shops and mass and that.

Of course if in have the pass I'll use it myself when I'm in a rush or can't find a spot. Everyone here on their high horse would do the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My mother has given me her pass as she can't really drive anymore. I use it to bring her to the shops and mass and that.

Of course if in have the pass I'll use it myself when I'm in a rush or can't find a spot. Everyone here on their high horse would do the same!

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lollipop lady moved me on for obstructing.
    You'd certainly not want to be stopping in a place that causes danger to the lollipop lady or the kids that she is guiding, so that complicates it a bit. Find another way to shame the lady in question - take photos or video for a start.
    Yes it’s wrong to use someones parking badge if not disabled or in their company but for the relatively small number of people doing it, it’s not financially feasible to have wardens going around verifying every driver with a blue badge on display is entitled to use it.
    No-one is suggesting that there is a new team of wardens for this specific issue. But we do have gardai and we do have traffic wardens in many urban areas. A bit of extra focus on this issue would be helpful.
    No. Most half-decent people would NOT do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, everyone here is completely self centered and inconsiderate.
    We're all just like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I have one in the window of my car for my mother, I'm her carer. She has it 3 years now so it is the plastic type card. On the card it says that it needs to be renewed every 2 years but yet I've seen some in windows that look very old and others that just look like a piece of dog eared paper with a bit of laminate on them. Is this just people not bothering/knowing to renew them or people just chancing their arms?

You'd certainly not want to be stopping in a place that causes danger to the lollipop lady or the kids that she is guiding, so that complicates it a bit. Find another way to shame the lady in question - take photos or video for a start.

No-one is suggesting that there is a new team of wardens for this specific issue. But we do have gardai and we do have traffic wardens in many urban areas. A bit of extra focus on this issue would be helpful.

No. Most half-decent people would NOT do the same.

Sadly if i try and do that i'll be accused of discrimination, boss!

• Advertisement

Of course if in have the pass I'll use it myself when I'm in a rush or can't find a spot

It is people like your "good" self are the reason that people who genuinely need the spots can't access them.

I hope #OperationEnable is coming to a street near you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You rightly run the risk of losing the badge altogether and then you will be solely responsible for the extra hardship you will inflict on your mother when she can't park near the shop or church. Then again, I doubt that worries you, once you're OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

No they wouldn't. If you had any understanding or were a nice person at all this would not be your view. I am afraid instead of being on a high horse you are one of the lowest of the low and fortunately there are not too many horrible people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

That's a crock of ****. My wife has a permit over 4 years, I have never used with her not in the car in all that time. We know what it's like trying to find a space a seeing a car with no permit on it and wouldn't do it to anyone.

Legally you’re obliged to.

I'd be parking beside the car in question and bringing my reason for doing it to the lady's attention.

All she can really do is call the gardai who i'd be explaining my reasons to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be parking beside the car in question and bringing my reason for doing it to the lady's attention.

All she can really do is call the gardai who i'd be explaining my reasons to also.

And while you are having a shouting match with an ignorant low-life, you will be trying to calmly manage your disabled child into the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Like others here, my father-in-law has a permit and it's displayed on my car most of the time. I would never take up a disabled space if he wasn't in the car with me. If he left the permit at home and he was with me, I still wouldn't use a disabled space.

The abuse of permits and spaces is a far bigger issue than the number in circulation (which I believe is lower here than other countries as the bar to get one is very high). I regularly challenge people parking in disabled spaces without permits. Some of the excuses I get are hilarious - "I'll only be a minute", yes, seriously! "I've applied for a permit and I'm waiting for it" - then don't park here until you get it! "I left my permit at home" - tough!!

Does anyone know the law when it comes to disabled spaces on private property like shopping centres? I'm not sure if the Guards can enforce them and that's where the biggest abuse is. The businesses themselves don't appear interested in enforcing them. I've reported cars without permits to shopping centre security previously and just get a shrug of the shoulders.

Some people also seem to think that once they're sitting in the car waiting for someone, that it's ok to take up a disabled space without a permit. Lazy fu*kers the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It is up to the private operator to manage the spaces on private property. Speak to whoever manages the site if they aren't managing it properly.

All they can do is clamp it, which doesn't really free up the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

All they can do is clamp it, which doesn't really free up the space.
    Short term pain for long term gain. It doesn't free it up today, but it is a big deterrent to stop that driver doing the same the next day and the next day. And the same for all the people she tells about how terribly she was treated at the supermarket. And the same for all the people who see the car stuck there with the clamp.

I know one supermarket car park security guy who routinely clamps his own or another staff car just to create this deterrent effect.
    markc1184 wrote: »
    I have one in the window of my car for my mother, I'm her carer. She has it 3 years now so it is the plastic type card. On the card it says that it needs to be renewed every 2 years but yet I've seen some in windows that look very old and others that just look like a piece of dog eared paper with a bit of laminate on them. Is this just people not bothering/knowing to renew them or people just chancing their arms?

Just to clarify - are you saying that you're using an expired pass?

Some cars that are being clamped nowadays is resulting in the car being outright abandoned as I mentioned here recently.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057762523/2/#post105578889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Tropheus wrote: »
    Like others here, my father-in-law has a permit and it's displayed on my car most of the time. I would never take up a disabled space if he wasn't in the car with me. If he left the permit at home and he was with me, I still wouldn't use a disabled space.

The abuse of permits and spaces is a far bigger issue than the number in circulation (which I believe is lower here than other countries as the bar to get one is very high). I regularly challenge people parking in disabled spaces without permits. Some of the excuses I get are hilarious - "I'll only be a minute", yes, seriously! "I've applied for a permit and I'm waiting for it" - then don't park here until you get it! "I left my permit at home" - tough!!

Does anyone know the law when it comes to disabled spaces on private property like shopping centres? I'm not sure if the Guards can enforce them and that's where the biggest abuse is. The businesses themselves don't appear interested in enforcing them. I've reported cars without permits to shopping centre security previously and just get a shrug of the shoulders.

Some people also seem to think that once they're sitting in the car waiting for someone, that it's ok to take up a disabled space without a permit. Lazy fu*kers the lot of them.

I posted in another forum, what I have seen a few times is young able bodied people with no permits leaving elderly relatives in the car whilst they go off shopping. The cars have no badge.
    Who's going to tackle an elderly person who is not the owner of the vehicle?

looksee wrote: »
    And while you are having a shouting match with an ignorant low-life, you will be trying to calmly manage your disabled child into the school?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it resolved things.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tropheus wrote: »

Basically it's private property and it's up to the business.
    I noticed with local supermarkets that if there's only one or two spaces they don't really get abused but when they have loads of disabled spaces then they seem to get abused a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it resolved things.

It might not bother you, but what effect would it have on the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Roanmore wrote: »
    I posted in another forum, what I have seen a few times is young able bodied people with no permits leaving elderly relatives in the car whilst they go off shopping. The cars have no badge.
    Who's going to tackle an elderly person who is not the owner of the vehicle?

Me. I have done it. No Permit. No Parking. I have no problem doing it either. Those Permits are not free either.

I was at Tesco Clear Water yesterday. One of the worst spots for abuse. It was very unusual to see no cars parked there without permits. Maybe the fear of being caught is making them cop on. Several times I have seen the Garda check cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There was a thread in legal discussion a couple of years back where the consensus was that the Gardaí could get involved, as even though it was private property it was still a public place that the public has access to. It was the same reasoning as why you still need tax and insurance in a private car park.

I seriously hope you are joking. That is a scumbag thing to do. If I said any more I would get a ban.

No actually I think most decent members of society who have morals would never do the same. You are exactly what this thread is about. Scumbags who do this should get a driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Short term pain for long term gain. It doesn't free it up today, but it is a big deterrent to stop that driver doing the same the next day and the next day. And the same for all the people she tells about how terribly she was treated at the supermarket. And the same for all the people who see the car stuck there with the clamp.

I know one supermarket car park security guy who routinely clamps his own or another staff car just to create this deterrent effect.

Just to clarify - are you saying that you're using an expired pass?

No hers is not expired, but it clearly states an expiry date on the card but yet I have seen people using cards which look very old and tattered.

markc1184 wrote: »
    No hers is not expired, but it clearly states an expiry date on the card but yet I have seen people using cards which look very old and tattered.

The older cards were laminated pieces of card so that is probably what you saw & they are out of date for several years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I once saw a letter to the editor of a free Dublin paper that read ‘Anyone parking in a disabled parking space is an inconsiderate buffoon and should be put in front of a judge’.

In their furious rage they forgot to add that it was those without disabled badges who they were referring to. At least I hope so. :)

Advertisement