Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misuse of Disabled parking badges!

Options
  • 03-01-2018 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭

Every so often we get a thread about people parking in disabled spaces with out a badge and they are called every name under the sun/etc.
    I was watching crimecall a few months ago and the odd time on Twitter the Gardai often come across people using these badge who have no disability. They are basically given them by friends/family to park where ever they want.
    When I went to college a girl nearly always had her mothers badge so she could park at the door.
    So, what do people think of this and do they think the badges should be be revoked?
    I think in a lot of circumstances they should be for a period of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

There are so many disabilities that are not "obvious" to the naked eye, it's going to be very hard to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The person who gave them the badge should be banned for life from ever getting another and the car should be turned in to a cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There are so many disabilities that are not "obvious" to the naked eye, it's going to be very hard to enforce.

Putting a photo on the badge of the person who's meant to be travelling in the vehicle at the time would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How hard would it be?

Does the disc contain the persons name? Can't the driver be challenged to identify himself as the owner of the disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CoconutSky

The badge contains the persons name and photo so if asked to identify yourself, it can be enforced that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Putting a photo on the badge of the person who's meant to be travelling in the vehicle at the time would help!

Sometimes the non disabled person might be parking up to collect the badge holder, or they might have dropped them off and are returning to the car without the badge holder. How do you differentiate between this and someone incorrectly using the badge?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Del2005 wrote: »
    Sometimes the non disabled person might be parking up to collect the badge holder, or they might have dropped them off and are returning to the car without the badge holder. How do you differentiate between this and someone incorrectly using the badge?

From what I remember from crimeall Gardai all ready do this at the moment by phoning the owner of the permit! I think they get the number of disabled badges Ireland(not correct name).
    CCTV could also be checked.
    Stings in known hot spots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There is a photo, it's on the other side of the permit.
    From what I remember from crimeall Gardai all ready do this at the moment by phoning the owner of the permit! I think they get the number of disabled badges Ireland(not correct name).
    CCTV could also be checked.
    Stings in known hot spots.

I'd expect they call the DSP. Inspectors on Irish Rail and Dublin Bus, used to contact DSP regularly with the old cardboard travel passes to verify the cardholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I used to use a friend’s when I was going to get stuff for him. I’d never use a disabled space, but the badge meant I didn’t have to pay for parking when I was popping round various shops.

Naughty, I know....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

There is a photo of the disabled person on the badge. My Mam has one ... the picture is on the back of the card... when it is scanned in by the police or traffic warden they get the information.

I also think it should be inforced better, but for me its the people who don't even have a badge and park in the spots that should be sorted first. It happens quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AryaStark wrote: »
    There is a photo of the disabled person on the badge. My Mam has one ... the picture is on the back of the card... when it is scanned in by the police or traffic warden they get the information.

I also think it should be inforced better, but for me its the people who don't even have a badge and park in the spots that should be sorted first. It happens quite a bit.

I don't know. If someone is giving their badge away it's a bigger issue as they know how necessary it is but are allowing a non disabled driver take the space from someone who needs it. There already are penalties for no badge, but like motoring offences they are not regularly enforced. Both no badge or someone else's badge should be tackled together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

why is there a higher 'diagnosis' of disability in Ireland than in almost any other western country?

cause there are a lot of people who want to be entitled to something that they shouldn't be, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

There is a number on each Permit. If you suspect fraud you can report the user. I have one for my daughter. I am much more pissed off at people parking in these bays with no permit. This is by far the most common problem I come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Operation enable is still running, if you read the garda twitter thread you will often see people getting done for parking in disabled bays without a permit.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/OperationEnable?src=hash

e.g

Tralee Garda: Car discovered parked in disabled bay displaying disabled parking permit issued to elderly relative. Elderly relative at home.

Court summons issued for fraudulent use.

and

Driver stopped in disabled bay with expired parking permit
    ‘belonging to a friend’. Permit seized, Court to follow.

Driver using relative’s disabled permit for ‘handy parking’ near workplace. Parking for Court may not be quite so handy!

etcetc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

endacl wrote: »
    I used to use a friend’s when I was going to get stuff for him. I’d never use a disabled space, but the badge meant I didn’t have to pay for parking when I was popping round various shops.

Naughty, I know....

That's not naughty, that's disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    why is there a higher 'diagnosis' of disability in Ireland than in almost any other western country?

Inbreeding.

It also causes the intellectual impairment which causes people to give their badges away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The simple solution is to make them eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The DDA could also help address this problem by changing the colour of the disc every couple of years. From the 'time of the flood' these badges have been blue and the amount of faded and blurred discs thrown up on dashboards is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

cause there are a lot of people who want to be entitled to something that they shouldn't be, maybe?

It's too sad to read things like this in 2018...

It's actually very difficult to get one of these cards even if you have big disabilities and mobility problems like a MS patient could have. You usually have to be blind or unable to walk at all. It's not enough to have mobility problems.

And of course, it's impossible to fake those symptoms.

To link the wheelchair symbol to disabled people is one of the worst errors that society have made around the world. Now some organisms are trying to educate about it but it's maybe too late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Del2005 wrote: »
    I don't know. If someone is giving their badge away it's a bigger issue as they know how necessary it is but are allowing a non disabled driver take the space from someone who needs it. There already are penalties for no badge, but like motoring offences they are not regularly enforced. Both no badge or someone else's badge should be tackled together..

Tickets for parking in disabled spaces are probably one of the most enforced offences. The problem that arises is that most disabled spaces are on private property and unless a space is designated by the council the disabled sign may as well be a decoration. Give Gardaí the power to enforce this issue on private property and there'd be a big change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Have a badge for my child, after a few seconds of looking at her you can spot the mental disability sadly, even worse, after a few short metres the physical disability can also be seen.

What is becoming more frequent outside schools are parents parking in the only disability parking spot there is, the amount of times I’ve had to park 2/300 yards down the road and carry her to the school is sickening, all while the inconsiderate pr1ck in the space stands outside the car in their nightwear smoking a cigarette.

I never ever use that badge unless the child is with me and never will.

Anyone who ‘rats’ these people to the cops, fair play to them.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, they’ll take the space but they won’t take the disability.

Blood boiling now :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In Norn Iron it was one in nine on DLA. In some areas one in six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If people become residents of nursing homes their disabled parking permits should be cancelled.
    How did I come up with that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭threetrees

endacl wrote: »

Naughty, I know....

Did you park in a disabled space with the badge or a regular space and just didn't pay because you displayed a badge? As far as I understand the badge only allows free parking in a disabled space, not regular spaces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

diomed wrote: »
    If people become residents of nursing homes their disabled parking permits should be cancelled.
    How did I come up with that idea?
    Not sure, but do you presume people don't need to go to med. appts just because they go into care?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

threetrees wrote: »
    Did you park in a disabled space with the badge or a regular space and just didn't pay because you displayed a badge? As far as I understand the badge only allows free parking in a disabled space, not regular spaces.

Nope, you can park in any regular spot. I have a permit but more often than not will use a regular space of they are close to the door in case a more disabled person needs the closer spot. I have good days and bad days so park accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where did you get that from? Please give details of your source.
    Tickets for parking in disabled spaces are probably one of the most enforced offences. The problem that arises is that most disabled spaces are on private property and unless a space is designated by the council the disabled sign may as well be a decoration. Give Gardaí the power to enforce this issue on private property and there'd be a big change.
    It is up to the private operator to manage the spaces on private property. Speak to whoever manages the site if they aren't managing it properly.
    What is becoming more frequent outside schools are parents parking in the only disability parking spot there is, the amount of times I’ve had to park 2/300 yards down the road and carry her to the school is sickening, all while the inconsiderate pr1ck in the space stands outside the car in their nightwear smoking a cigarette.

I never ever use that badge unless the child is with me and never will.

Anyone who ‘rats’ these people to the cops, fair play to them.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, they’ll take the space but they won’t take the disability.

Blood boiling now :mad:

Just park beside/outside the space blocking them in. Tell them you'll only be a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Where did you get that from? Please give details of your source.

It is up to the private operator to manage the spaces on private property. Speak to whoever manages the site if they aren't managing it properly.

Just park beside/outside the space blocking them in. Tell them you'll only be a few minutes.

Lollipop lady moved me on for obstructing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Yes it’s wrong to use someones parking badge if not disabled or in their company but for the relatively small number of people doing it, it’s not financially feasible to have wardens going around verifying every driver with a blue badge on display is entitled to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Not sure, but do you presume people don't need to go to med. appts just because they go into care?
    My experience is a taxi is called or an ambulance if necessary.

Advertisement