Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Grueller wrote: »
    No but Teagasc have the majority and publish the results of all of that data collated into a nice easy to read report with graphs to illustrate to me how thick I am to still be in the game.

As a neighbour of mine said he had stop going on farm walks because he was coming home more depressed than before he left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Limousin heifer. Lovely calf to be fair. Good pull though as the mother had took as lame as a duck on the slats and I had left her out to a paddock for her last 3 weeks just not thinking. Calf was way too well fleshed as a result which is not usually the case after my limo bull. A cheap lesson when all ended well.
    It will probably never cover the labour costs at anything near minimum wage but calves of the quality of this one always leave a twist here.

Ah Grueller you have to have your labour costs in order and allow that you earn the average industrial wage for anything you do on the farm. Did you schedule your breaks while you were at it no working longer than a 4.5 hour before a break of 30 minutes. As well you have to have 11 hours between work shifts

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ah Grueller you have to have your labour costs in order and allow that you earn the average industrial wage for anything you do on the farm. Did you schedule your breaks while you were at it no working longer than a 4.5 hour before a break of 30 minutes. As well you have to have 11 hours between work shifts

Sure isn't the whole thing a grand break from the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

4ever wrote: »
    First time poster. Watch this thread with interest. Was in killmallock today. Was well surprised at some of the prices. Everything not Friesan up €50 I reckon. Can’t understand what these people are thinking.
    My question is though is, how do the dealers make money on these sorts. 90% or more of calves seemed to be bought by dealers. Tall narrow angus heifers between 180 and 220. Add thirty more for bulls. They were nice calves but everyone knew they were never going to fill out to much. Do these go to contract rearers for Larry or do lads call to their yards and give another 30 for them again. Madness
    These calves were making close to 150 last week Personally don’t see the lift in the trade lasting. Everyone knows that these calves will be available as runners in June for the same money

€10-15 a head and move 70-100 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sure isn't the whole thing a grand break from the day job.

9.50pm just after calving a too posh to push cow, up since 5.50am-lie on for Bank Holiday-wonderful day job I have. In fairness I did escape to football for 2 hours during the day so I'm probably not a real farmer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

_Brian wrote: »
    €10-15 a head and move 70-100 a week.

It's not an enviable job imo and there well entitled to a margin on them after all that's involved. If you could drop them to a client on the way home and let the new owner set to work minding them then fair enough but landing a bunch of them back to your own yard would be my idea of hell tbh. Trying to keep them right and assemble bunches of them for lads to come and pick from all the while being on the road a few days a week buying the next offering would take some work.

I seen a Mayo based dealer in Killmallock today, that's half a day's work driving before you do anything, land back tonight wrecked and face into feeding and settling calves that were gone like yourself since early morning. At least with a bunch of strong cattle you could throw them in the shed till morning as they'll only drink and lie down after being on the go all day, more than likely you'd only be fit for the same after the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

In Bandon all the rubbish that made zip last week made at least 40 euro this week. Fr bulls were but hotter, exporters got a good clear out Saturday.
    Bought one strong Bb bull about 7 weeks old €305.... (For foster)

Was at mart today. Trade is improved. Angus bull calves to 220 smashing simx Cross calves to 430. Fr bulls from 20 to 80. Was a big group of hexje from no bid to 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was at mart today. Trade is improved. Angus bull calves to 220 smashing simx Cross calves to 430. Fr bulls from 20 to 80. Was a big group of hexje from no bid to 20 euro

Few boats after going with the weather improved as well apparently

visatorro wrote: »
    Few boats after going with the weather improved as well apparently

I got 35 euro each for 3 fr bulls 2 weeks old and 52 euro each for a set of Angus heifer twins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Castleisland yesterday 1 AAx f €290, 1 AAx f €265, 1Aax f small €140, 3 AAx my €240

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4ever

Castleisland yesterday 1 AAx f €290, 1 AAx f €265, 1Aax f small €140, 3 AAx my €240

Great prices. Fair play to you.
    Just struggling to understand how can any beef farmers make money at these kind of prices. Lads must just love tearing at it

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/12-top-quality-continental-bull-calves/21346571

Think this lad had a bit too much to drink. U grade calves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

johnnyw20 wrote: »

And out of br fr bulls !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

4ever wrote: »
    Great prices. Fair play to you.
    Just struggling to understand how can any beef farmers make money at these kind of prices. Lads must just love tearing at it

That question has been asked every year for the last 30 years and will for the next 30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Calf sale from Saturday the 16/3/19. With an entry of just under 400 calves saw a much improved trade for all classes with the Friesian bull calf being a much better trade driven by both farmer and export customers. The good shipping calf was up anything from 20-30 per head. With most shipping calves selling in the region of 50-70 per head. AA and He calves met a strong trade with bulls making from €170 to €250 with most calves selling between 190 and 220. AA and HE heifers selling between 150-170/ head. Continental calves were a very lively trade with lots of farmer demand. Bulls freely making up to 350 and heifers making €280 plus per head. Calf sale again this Saturday at 11am. For any Enquiries please contact Eugene on <snip> or the office on <snip>. Thank you

Message from carnew mart yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Calf sale from Saturday the 16/3/19. With an entry of just under 400 calves saw a much improved trade for all classes with the Friesian bull calf being a much better trade driven by both farmer and export customers. The good shipping calf was up anything from 20-30 per head. With most shipping calves selling in the region of 50-70 per head. AA and He calves met a strong trade with bulls making from €170 to €250 with most calves selling between 190 and 220. AA and HE heifers selling between 150-170/ head. Continental calves were a very lively trade with lots of farmer demand. Bulls freely making up to 350 and heifers making €280 plus per head. Calf sale again this Saturday at 11am. For any Enquiries please contact Eugene on <snip> or the office on <snip>. Thank you

Message from carnew mart yesterday

Ah the mart will always play up the trade

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah the mart will always play up the trade

Was just going to say the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is 400 a lot for that mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is 400 a lot for that mart?

They had 600 ish at the peak, athlo someone claimed it waa 900lol

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »

Never been, bandon would have crazy numbers this time of year, 1500 + are there any other marts that hit those numbers

Timmaay wrote: »

Never been, bandon would have crazy numbers this time of year, 1500 + are there any other marts that hit those numbers

Last week they had 1900 on Monday and 350 on Thursday

Pidae.m wrote: »

Do you reckon Mon or Thurs would be better for selling or does it make any odds?

Pidae.m wrote: »

Do you reckon Mon or Thurs would be better for selling or does it make any odds?

Monday, on Thursday there's only 4 lads sitting around the ring each taking there turn, they're very organised infairness :)

Calves are a good bit dearer. Buddy here got 55 Monday from an exporter who previously had given him 50 and then 40 for alot better fr bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Hes v optimistic asking that kinda money .
    Last year I bought a few Cont crosses from Friesian Herd .Jeez they eating 24/7 & still have look of abandoned waifs . Up against our own Weanlings they just dont compare . Reckon I wud take a Cont cross from Dairy Herd for a payment of circa 50 E..............:D..................P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Base price wrote: »
    €10 per head.
    yes

alps wrote: »
    That's how much I lost on them taking everything excluding labour into account.

whelan2 wrote: »
    How long do you have to wait for the cheque? In Ardee you have the cheque home with you from the sale
    A week and a day, sale on Tuesday paid Wednesday the following week.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Probably close enough to €100 but that price still not as disappointing as local guy who sold well fed fr yierlings last week 390 kg for €520
    €10 each cheque €5.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    €10 each cheque €5.6

Enfer and mullinahone will take that €5.60!!!!

Advertisement