Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Panch18 wrote: »
    It’s not that other industries have caught up, it’s that they have past farmers a million times over

The “dairy industry” pay damn good wages, certainly Glanbia do anyway, it’s just that the farmer part of the “dairy industry” has to work harder and harder for less and less

Farmers incomes were protected by locally run coops where the board would fix a fair price to ensure farmers got suitably paid to make a profit.

Progress in the guise of short term greed sold out the coops to become plc’s. The job of a plc is to provide profit for shareholders even if that means squeezing suppliers to break them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone been at sales the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan2 wrote: »

Wcc have free calves again :):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mf240 wrote: »
    Wcc have free calves again :):pac:
    Are you tempted?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

Was in Macroom today I see nothing cheap there bad calves made small money Good calves making big money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Are you tempted?

No. You have to buy replacer off him.

I'll just keep my own would be afraid of bringing in scour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

21/22e I averaged after commission for 8 4/5wk old frs/frx bulls in blessington Thur. Best price was 45e for one of the frx ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Who2 wrote: »
    If they were they were wealthy, I was in a large family home today that took 4K pound to build in 81. Interest rates at 17 or 18 %

Ate you dead sure I'd that price? My parents house, a normal 2000 ft' bungalow with no site cost £22k in 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It’s not that other industries have caught up, it’s that they have past farmers a million times over

The “dairy industry” pay damn good wages, certainly Glanbia do anyway, it’s just that the farmer part of the “dairy industry” has to work harder and harder for less and less

A million times over? The average industrial wage is around 40k is it not. Surely the average dairy man/woman is making plenty more along with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Murang wrote: »
    Was in Macroom today I see nothing cheap there bad calves made small money Good calves making big money

Ya fine trade there. Small sale too. There was a good row over a 3rd tier Bb heifer calf in skibb..... €410

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ate you dead sure I'd that price? My parents house, a normal 2000 ft' bungalow with no site cost £22k in 1979.

I asked my old fella there and he said he built the bungalow we were reared in for £8000 in 1980 . He was milking about 20 cows and selling the bullocks at about 3 and maybe 4 yrs old to a butcher and selling the heifers as calves .
    He would have been supporting his parents and the home house out of that but was able to build without borrowing all the same . Now it was a very straight forward small bungalow but werent they all back then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You can say that again my sister in laws daughter got a job with Kerry co op last year, it's a top job in fairness but her first week wages included a bonus of 2k. She thought it was a mistake and told them about it and they said it was a bonus for changing jobs :mad: I don't begrudge her as she worked her way to the top on her own from secondary school but it's easy see where the milk profits go.

Same size bungalow here in 1987 £33k, I know a man that built a 3 bedroom bungalow in the late 60's for £3k. I doubt it was built for £4k in 1981.

Bullocks wrote: »
    I asked my old fella there and he said he built the bungalow we were reared in for £8000 in 1980 . He was milking about 20 cows and selling the bullocks at about 3 and maybe 4 yrs old to a butcher and selling the heifers as calves .
    He would have been supporting his parents and the home house out of that but was able to build without borrowing all the same . Now it was a very straight forward small bungalow but werent they all back then
    Was that price ready to walk in or just the bare house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭mayota

Dakota Dan wrote: »

One and the same back then I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea I built a 1500sqft house for my parents in 1978, it cost £16000

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd hardly build a cabby house for 4k in 1981 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I built my 1500 sq/ft three bed bungalow in 1989 for £40k in NCD. My relations in Longford built a 4 bed double fronted/double storey house for £28 the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I build an 1800 sq ft dormer for 48K in 1991 not including site. It was finished with bathrooms, kitchen, Stanley oil range stove in sitting room. No carpets or painting. I did that after we moved in. The kitchen cost 2450 pounds, the oil range and stove cost 2800 pounds. I bought an antique cast iron surround cost 500 pounds. Ware for main bathroom cost 800 pounds and for other bathroom cost about 300 pounds. I tiled the bathrooms myself and the wall in the kitchen. That also included all digging out and grounds works. PVC windows and doors along with 2 patio doors cost 4500 pounds. The teak stairs cost 950 pounds.

Block layer cost 2900 pounds, the carpenter cost 1500 pounds for the roof and 700 pounds for the second fix. the plasterer cost 2100 pounds. Blocks were about 330/1K to buy. Concrete was about 38-40/cuM. Cannot remember how much the timber cost. Two Dublin Chimney pots cost 56 pounds each. This also included the ESB connection which cost 850 pounds. Did the road crossing for the water myself and the digger driver. Applied to the Council and got the licience no Public liability insurance at the time. Crossing was about 60 pounds

Slava Ukrainii

I'd say walk in but that wouldn't marble worktops kinda finish . Cot for myself anyhow would have to be bought :D

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »

Was there a boom in the buildings during the 70's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

It's only 10 years since calves were being imported into ireland.....now the natives are hard sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Probably, we were just gone into the EU, Interest rates rocketed after to 20%,
    I built a garage and fuel shed as well for that price, one builder did it all

Yes. The Central Bank in Dame Street would be a good example of the building boom at that time.

Anyway back to calf prices, I sold 3 well fed 4-5 wk old friesian bull calves in kanturk last week, 6L of milk in 2 feeds every day, anyone guess how much i'll be getting in the cheque next week?

Anyway back to calf prices, I sold 3 well fed 4-5 wk old friesian bull calves in kanturk last week, 6L of milk in 2 feeds every day, anyone guess how much i'll be getting in the cheque next week?
    €10 per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

farisfat wrote: »
    It's only 10 years since calves were being imported into ireland.....now the natives are hard sold.

I thought frx bull calves we're very cheap pre 2010's

farisfat wrote: »
    Surely you mean pedigree beef and dairy stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Base price wrote: »
    Yes. The Central Bank in Dame Street would be a good example of the building boom at that time.
    about 10 years ago my late dad (who was a brickie since 1954) & his mate (a property developer) sat down & work out the the prices of houses in the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's & 00's based on the price of a pint of Guinness in them years. What they found was it was more or less the same number of pintz to buy a house over all the years, but ur weekly wage bought less pints in each decade.....

Advertisement