Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

looking to swop an n vidia sheild game controller for the new remote

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

jolter wrote: »
    looking to swop an n vidia sheild game controller for the new remote

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone using Plex on the Shield? I'm trying to stream stuff from a mate's account, but constantly getting buffering. I have a 500 mbps connection with Ethernet to router. I also have my settings set to Convert Automatically, so I'm not sure why it's constantly pausing. are there any other settings I should check?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

chewed wrote: »
    Anyone using Plex on the Shield? I'm trying to stream stuff from a mate's account, but constantly getting buffering. I have a 500 mbps connection with Ethernet to router. I also have my settings set to Convert Automatically, so I'm not sure why it's constantly pausing. are there any other settings I should check?

If it's set to Convert Automatically it might be trying to transcode on your friends PC and that's slowing it down. Try play at Original Quality and see if that helps.

If it's set to Convert Automatically it might be trying to transcode on your friends PC and that's slowing it down. Try play at Original Quality and see if that helps.

I had Convert Automatically turned off and still had the same issues. My mate suggested turning it on. A few weeks back it was working ok, and I updated the media server app and buffering issues came up again, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    clear cache and restart the shield maybe, i am using plex from a nother server and not getting any freezing

Tried that as well. I just always seem to get buffering issues, even when I stream from my own server which is in the next room.

have you tried reducing the quality of the stream just to see if that helps, i know my isp is getting hammered lately and i cant stream 4k at all

I can't see where I can do that. If I choose settings when playing, the only 2 options are Convert Automatically and Play original quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Maybe the problem is your mates server & his broadband speed.
    Just because you have 500 mbps doesn't mean your mates server can supply 500 mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's dependent on his upload speed, factors on his network and the possibility of multiple people streaming.

when you have the stream playing there should be options under the convert automatically with lower quality streams, i have reduced to 1080p now and then at peak times

I can only get that option when I choose to show the old video player. But whenever I try to choose a lower quality stream, I just get the following error and it won't actually change the stream. If I keep clicking retry, eventually Plex crashes out and closes.

50019239962_af50055736.jpg

• Advertisement

I can only get that option when I choose to show the old video player. But whenever I try to choose a lower quality stream, I just get the following error and it won't actually change the stream. If I keep clicking retry, eventually Plex crashes out and closes.

50019239962_af50055736.jpg

How is your TV connected to your broadband.
    Ethernet or WI-Fi ?

amdaley28 wrote: »
    How is your TV connected to your broadband.
    Ethernet or WI-Fi ?

I have the Shield connected via Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know this is unhelpful. But the problem is almost certainly serverside.

If you want you can PM me, I'll give you access to my Shield Based Plex server and you can try and play some content (no judging me on my basic AF movie library).

I have the Shield connected via Ethernet.

Only asked that to eliminate any WiFi problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyway of getting the rte player to work better on this device

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kala85 wrote: »
    Anyway of getting the rte player to work better on this device

It's not a device issue, it's an absolutely shít app.
    Clearing data and cache before every run of the app helps, but it's just a bad app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Is there any stable app for this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

banie01 wrote: »
    It's not a device issue, it's an absolutely shít app.
    Clearing data and cache before every run of the app helps, but it's just a bad app.

It's a nonsense that RTÉ haven't bothered their holes to fix it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's a nonsense that RTÉ haven't bothered their holes to fix it yet

It's a resource thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's a ****e app thing

• Advertisement

The app is great, it plays adverts no problem

Might be me,but the quality is crap,and the adds ,,,,,,awfulllllllllllll

Over the past few days I've been running speed tests on the Shield. I have a 500mbps account with my ISP through FTTH. I completely reset the router back to factory settings and ensured only the Shield was the only device connected via ethernet. Yet, I can't get above 90 to 100mbps! Even on wifi (5ghz) I could not get above 100.

I spent over an hour with ISP support and they couldn't figure it out. I tested a laptop on wifi and was getting 320 down. But no matter what I do on the Shield, I can't get anywhere near these speeds. Do you think this in an issue with the Shield itself? Or could it be the router? I'm wondering (as a last step) should I reset the Shield and then run the tests again?

I'm not sure if all these slow connection issues are a result of my buffering issues with Plex.

I came across this on the Nvidia forum. Don't know if its off any use to you.

I fixed ALL my slow download, upload, and wifi speeds by going into 192.168.1.1, logging into the router configuration page. Defaults are admin and password. Go into the Advanced tab, Go to Security on the left side of the page and select Access Control. This feature needs to be turned off and never used unless you need it. My download speeds for 1gb internet service were only 360's/sec. With this feature turned off, my internet is now at 963mb/sec. I repeated the problem by turning this feature on and then off again and the slow speeds were always present with Access Control turned ON and normal when turned OFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

I fixed ALL my slow download, upload, and wifi speeds by going into 192.168.1.1, logging into the router configuration page. Defaults are admin and password. Go into the Advanced tab, Go to Security on the left side of the page and select Access Control. This feature needs to be turned off and never used unless you need it. My download speeds for 1gb internet service were only 360's/sec. With this feature turned off, my internet is now at 963mb/sec. I repeated the problem by turning this feature on and then off again and the slow speeds were always present with Access Control turned ON and normal when turned OFF.

Going to try this now.
    Just ran a speed test in the Shield with wired connection
    84.4 down and 16.4 up, VF 100mb line.
    Did the same test on my phone through WiFi and got 82.8 down and 16.4 up, I expected a larger difference.

Can't seem to find this, Vodafone Huawei router, any ideas?

Yeah, I saw this as well. But I can't seem to find this on my Fritzbox admin page though.

Over the past few days I've been running speed tests on the Shield. I have a 500mbps account with my ISP through FTTH. I completely reset the router back to factory settings and ensured only the Shield was the only device connected via ethernet. Yet, I can't get above 90 to 100mbps! Even on wifi (5ghz) I could not get above 100.

I spent over an hour with ISP support and they couldn't figure it out. I tested a laptop on wifi and was getting 320 down. But no matter what I do on the Shield, I can't get anywhere near these speeds. Do you think this in an issue with the Shield itself? Or could it be the router? I'm wondering (as a last step) should I reset the Shield and then run the tests again?

I'm not sure if all these slow connection issues are a result of my buffering issues with Plex.

Something radically wrong there bud,I got 639 last night, average a 300 plus, I've my IPTV etc etc running through mine

Something radically wrong there bud,I got 639 last night, average a 300 plus, I've my IPTV etc etc running through mine

Cheers. When I was with Eir on the 300 package I was able to get around 280 down on wired connection. I'm with Digiweb now, but I'm just not sure if it's the ISP, the router or my Shield that's the issue now.

Cheers. When I was with Eir on the 300 package I was able to get around 280 down on wired connection. I'm with Digiweb now, but I'm just not sure if it's the ISP, the router or my Shield that's the issue now.

I reset my modem weekly I find it helps, some machine the shield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

No speed issues on any of my 3 shields

I have my virgin media router in bridge mode and use my own router (Archer C7)

I have DHCP disabled on the linksys router and thats handled by pihole on a raspberry pi.

I also run my own recursive DNS server on the raspberry pi by using unbound.

NordVPN is running on the 3 shields 24/7 and I'm using the wireguard protocol (Nordlynx), which is much quicker than OpenVPN.

I added Netflix as a "Trusted App" in NordVPN so i don't have to keep disabling Nord when I want to use Netflix.

The 3 shields are flat out all day, every day with Netflix, IPTV, Plex etc

No issues at all, no freezing, buffering etc and I like the privacy of my setup (Nord, Pihole & Unbound)

Advertisement