Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes but the displaying of the HDR icon, is that not a function of the TV?

Specsavers for me but 100 percent no 4K icon on my shield

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Specsavers for me but 100 percent no 4K icon on my shield

Make sure it's activated in the TVs settings

McMurphy wrote: »
    Make sure it's activated in the TVs settings

Feckin sure it is but maybe reset or such as I've noticed my shield doesent boot up when my son reconnects his PS4 weekly,
    I have to take the power lead out from the shield and it boots back up again, maybe that does something, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi all,

Just for clarification 4K and HDR are 2 different things.
    4K is the resolution and HDR being the colour range.

You need a 4K TV which has HDR capability and also receiving a HDR signal in order for the HDR icon to drop down in the corner of the TV,this is the case for LG and I believe Samsung also.

There are also several settings that need to line up in order for this to happen.

Source media being in HDR
    Both Samsung and LG TV's in their settings have whats called a deep color mode and this also needs to be turned on within the TV settings.

Samsung HDR TVs: Menu->Picture->Picture Options->HDMI UHD Color->On->Restart
    LG HDR TVs: Home->HDMI->Settings->Advanced->Picture->HDMI ULTRA DEEP COLOR->On->Restart
    Sony HDR TVs: Home -> Settings -> External inputs -> HDMI signal format -> HDMI [select the SHIELD input] -> Enhanced mode (TV will reboot)

If you have an AVR between Shield and TV then your receiver must also support HDMI 2.0a and HDR. Your receiver should report this capability in the product manual.

My own Shield output settings are the default recommended ones.
    I get the HDR drop down notification for Netflix,Plex,Kodi etc. when the content is HDR

Hi all,

You need a 4K TV which has HDR capability and also receiving a HDR signal in order for the HDR icon to drop down in the corner of the TV,this is the case for LG and I believe Samsung also.

There are also several settings that need to line up in order for this to happen.

Both Samsung and LG TV's in their settings have whats called a deep color mode and this also needs to be turned on within the TV settings.

LG HDR TVs: Home->HDMI->Settings->Advanced->Picture->HDMI ULTRA DEEP COLOR->On->Restart
    Sony HDR TVs: Home -> Settings -> External inputs -> HDMI signal format -> HDMI [select the SHIELD input] -> Enhanced mode (TV will reboot)

If you have an AVR between Shield and TV then your receiver must also support HDMI 2.0a and HDR. Your receiver should report this capability in the product manual.

I get the HDR drop down notification for Netflix,Plex,Kodi etc. when the content is HDR

Appreciate that I've a Samsung and will try that immediately

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Na no notification, definitely 4K on Disney etc, shield setting automatically 4K if available etc,it's good but not 4 k,

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If it comes on your tv with Disney and PlayStation then it should do with the shield, might be worth checking the shield settings

ThankS I did, mandolorian is absolutely gorgeous in 4Ketc,that's the way all tv should be, definitely shield set to 60 -( 4K)

just to separate the 2 topics above i.e 4K and HDR

Is it 4K that you cannot get ?

we will go step by step

just to separate the 2 topics above i.e 4K and HDR

Is it 4K that you cannot get ?

we will go step by step

4k think I'm going to switch around HDMI cables and thanks

So no 4k playing through the shield what so ever and shield is set to recommended output ?
    Is this a case of there never has been 4k or its now not playing 4K ?
    Have you swapped out HDMI cables ?
    Have you an AVR between the shield an TV or direct ?
    There should be an info button for your tv on its remote that should show what kind of picture is being transmitted to it.

You can go into Youtube also and play a video you know is 4K and go to the options for that video in Youtube and select the "stats for Nerds" option it will show the playback info in terms of resolution etc.

• Advertisement

So no 4k playing through the shield what so ever and shield is set to recommended output ?
    There should be an info button for your tv on its remote that should show what kind of picture is being transmitted to it.

You can go into Youtube also and play a video you know is 4K and go to the options for that video in Youtube and select the "stats for Nerds" option it will show the playback info in terms of resolution etc.
    Thanks for the advice, going to try the you tube now, shield connected directly to tv

Thanks for the advice, going to try the you tube now, shield connected directly to tv,and AFAIK 4 K never played through shield,yes 4K you tube video plays fantastic,was adjusted to play automatic (1080- you tube) thanks
    Says current / optimal res-3840x2260@30

Also try something one of the native apps on the TV itself like Netflix or Youtube and again use the info button to see what the TV is playing back that would rule out a problem on the side of the TV itself

Thanks for the advice, going to try the you tube now, shield connected directly to tv,and AFAIK 4 K never played through shield,yes 4K you tube video plays fantastic,was adjusted to play automatic (1080- you tube) thanks
    Says current / optimal res-3840x2260@30

Is that through YouTube app on the Shield or the TV?

Also try something one of the native apps on the TV itself like Netflix or Youtube and again use the info button to see what the TV is playing back that would rule out a problem on the side of the TV itself

Great ideas, Netflix is out as paying for HD not UHD

Shield,tried directly from TV and it's super,was at 480

So we have established that the YouTube app within the Shield itself is playing back on your TV at 4K ?

So we have established that the YouTube app within the Shield itself is playing back on your TV at 4K ?

Yes v much so

Yes now,was set at auto and double checked it plays at the highest resolution automatically now,ie if it's 1080 it plays at that,if it's 4k it goes straight to that,thanks

• Advertisement

Ok,

So do you now still have an issue with playback of something ?.

You mentioned getting notifications of 4K playback which you wont get unless you select the info button for the TV to check yourself.

There was a mention of HDR which you wont get with Netflix unless you're on the Ultra HD plan.

Ok,

So do you now still have an issue with playback of something ?.

You mentioned getting notifications of 4K playback which you wont get unless you select the info button for the TV to check yourself.

There was a mention of HDR which you wont get with Netflix unless you're on the Ultra HD plan.

No I didn't mention notification at all,but did mention that because I don't pay for UHD on Netflix I can't check it,I'm now going to upgrade
    Thanks for your help,as you can gather I'm a bit of a luddite,stats for nerds is a new one for me,but bloody handy

No I didn't mention notification at all,but did mention that because I don't pay for UHD on Netflix I can't check it,I'm now going to upgrade

Its well worth it I think.

Are you sorted so or need anything else ?

If you wanted to get a look at HDR etc. on the Shield and use Plex you can download files from the link below,Some are fabulous to look at in 4K HDR

https://4kmedia.org/

Thanks for your help,as you can gather I'm a bit of a luddite,stats for nerds is a new one for me,but bloody handy

No problem,I've only learnt through trial and error myself.

Its well worth it I think.

Are you sorted so or need anything else ?

If you wanted to get a look at HDR etc. on the Shield and use Plex you can download files from the link below,Some are fabulous to look at in 4K HDR

https://4kmedia.org/

I don't use Plex,I really appreciate it be help and guide ,thank you.

No problem,I've only learnt through trial and error myself.

Star

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

On the topic of 4K (and slightly off topic)....If I have a 4K monitor and connect it to my laptop, would I still be able to view videos (e.g. YouTube) in 4K? Or would the laptop have to have a good enough graphics card to handle 4K?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Shield Pro is available on the Nvidia UK site at the moment of anyone's looking for one.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Pro stock on Amazon now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

OmegaGene wrote: »
    it has been there a few days, i did link it previously

It sold out since then. In fact it sold out again today.

Advertisement