Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭iHungry

Hallaz wrote: »
    Did you receive a delivery date as yet?
    Also was it on order from Amazon or via a different seller on amazon?
    thanks

I made sure to buy from Amazon directly. I actually made another order yesterday because it was actually in stock on Amazon. My original order I cancelled because it was still pending a delivery date.The new order is due to be delivered between 2-8 June.

Ps I also have prime delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got one from Scan.co.uk had it preordered last month.

Arrived yesterday for my parents all set up now. I know they have negative reviews online but good single experience from me anyway came two days early was due tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

iHungry wrote: »
    I made sure to buy from Amazon directly. I actually made another order yesterday because it was actually in stock on Amazon. My original order I cancelled because it was still pending a delivery date.The new order is due to be delivered between 2-8 June.

Great! I missed out again today but still have old order. I thought they would fulfill orders before showing available to everyone else. Seems not to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I've a 2017 Shield with a 128mb Sansdisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash drive set up as internal storage.

There's about 12 apps loaded onto the Shield such as Netflix, an IPTV client, SkyNews, VLC etc.

The app that gets the heaviest use is Plex as it acts as a Plex Media Server for both internal and external users but I've never seen more than two external users concurrently in addition to one internal user. The Shield is ethernet cabled to Virgin 200mb d/l 20mb u/l fibre and also ethernet connected to a 2TB NAS which is mounted as network storage.

All has been fine for the last few months but this evening I started getting persistent "Shields storage space is critically low" error messages.

Having had a good poke around the various storage settings etc I see that the 128gb USB drive is barely used with 119gb free but the 12gb internal is full and 8.5gb of that is due to Plex, see below.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a way to move Plex to the 128gb drive where it can have all the space it needs or what is the solution to this problem? Are the other Shield Storage Access settings correct or do they need to be adjusted?

LOhDMAP.jpg

tow4Wgb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes it's a known issue with Plex but was addressed long ago. You need to have your extra storage added as adopted storage which increases the Shield internal storage space. If you've very little on it it would be easy back up and restore as adopting storage formats and wipes the drive. You would also not be able to plug it in to Windows in this format, but can connect to it over your lan while it's connected to your Shield on the same network.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/moving-server-data-storage-location-on-nvidia-shield/

Yes it's a known issue with Plex but was addressed long ago. You need to have your extra storage added as adopted storage which increases the Shield internal storage space. If you've very little on it it would be easy back up and restore as adopting storage formats and wipes the drive. You would also not be able to plug it in to Windows in this format, but can connect to it over your lan while it's connected to your Shield on the same network.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/moving-server-data-storage-location-on-nvidia-shield/

Thanks Gooey, does that mean I need to remove the 128GB as Internal Storage and re-install it as removable storage so the Plex Server Data Directory can be moved to the 128GB drive per the process you linked to?

54and56 wrote: »
    Thanks Gooey, does that mean I need to remove the 128GB as Internal Storage and re-install it as removable storage so the Plex Server Data Directory can be moved to the 128GB drive per the process you linked to?

I'm not sure, I've not used Plex in ages, I moved to Emby. Adopted storage should just extend internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Howdy,
    You have the drive as adopted storage so you need to go into Plex and into settings.Scroll down to media server and beside it should be an option to move data to internal storage(it should move it to the flash drive then)

If you have thumbnail previews etc. selected in your plex settings these take up huge space also.
    Where is the media stored ?

I also advise you not to have the Flash Drive directly connected to the Shield(they heat up and burn out),twice it has happened to me and now I have gone to an SSD as adopted storage instead) If you're going to keep using that flash drive I would then suggest you get a USB3 extension cable to take the flash drive away from the port although it may still heat slightly-Nvidia have a list of recommended drives for the Shield

Howdy,
    You have the drive as adopted storage so you need to go into Plex and into settings.Scroll down to media server and beside it should be an option to move data to internal storage(it should move it to the flash drive then)

Thanks Clinton,

I removed the USB drive as internal storage and installed is as removable storage for just that reason but when I chose the option in Plex to move data to the USB file despite saying it did it successfully no data arrived on the USB disk and the 12GB of internal storage was still full so I went into the app info and could see that there was 8.5gb of data under the heading "Clear Data" which I cleared. Not only did that free up 8.5gb from the 12gb internal storage but it deleted my PMS all together so now I have to set up up again :mad:
    If you have thumbnail previews etc. selected in your plex settings these take up huge space also.

Yeah I read about that previously so had disabled it and will disable it again after I re-setup the PMS.
    Where is the media stored ?

On an 8 year old 2TB ZyXel NSA310 NAS Drive which is ethernet connected to my router which in turn is ethernet connected to the Shield. I'm worried it's going to fail one of these days so am thinking of re-purposing a PC to be a dedicated Plex server. It's a Win 10 PC with an Intel Core i5-4590 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card, 120GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I'm thinking of adding a 10TB HDD, copying over the 2TB NAS content, retiring the NAS and mounting the 10TB drive to the Shield so I'd run two PMS's, one from the Shield and one from the PC.
    I also advise you not to have the Flash Drive directly connected to the Shield(they heat up and burn out),twice it has happened to me and now I have gone to an SSD as adopted storage instead) If you're going to keep using that flash drive I would then suggest you get a USB3 extension cable to take the flash drive away from the port although it may still heat slightly-Nvidia have a list of recommended drives for the Shield

Thanks for the tip ref the heating, I'll do something about that.

One question, why do you set your SSD as adopted (Internal?) storage as my understanding is it can't be used for Plex data unless it's set as removable storage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Hallaz wrote: »
    Great! I missed out again today but still have old order. I thought they would fulfill orders before showing available to everyone else. Seems not to be the case

To Update
    I messaged Amazon and heads up for others they say stock due back in on 29th May
    (seems to be a trickle coming through from other sellers also)

I got a dispatch notice today coming via UPS from Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

@ 54and56 Have a read of this.

I just had a look there and my data has migrated to the SSD.

Heads up, I see currys.ie have the shield pro in-stock

Mr.S wrote: »
    Something I've always wondered, is there a faster / better way to transfer files over your network to the Shield? Currently I have an external SSD attached to the Shield and I transfer over SMB from my Macbook to the Shield which acts as my Plex Server. I don't attach the SSD to the Macbook because it's easier to just leave it plugged into the Shield hidden away.

All works fine, but it's not the fastest. I assume it's my internal network limitations versus how I'm actually transferring?

FTP will be faster for large files. If you're using wireless this may be your limitation, get them both on Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am using the SendFilesToTV app myself as tend to download a lot on phone and just send over. Not the fastest but solid!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Using WiFi for the connivance as connecting laptop to Ethernet would be a pain / the shield is in a different room then our router, so I'd imagine that's the down fall.

Will give FTP a go and see if that's any better.

If both devices are on wireless that will be the cause of it. If so connecting one of the devices to Ethernet (full duplex) will have a big effect. Wireless is half duplex.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-half-duplex-and-full-duplex-operation-and-how-does-it-affect-your-router/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Basq wrote: »
    Am using the SendFilesToTV app myself as tend to download a lot on phone and just send over. Not the fastest but solid!

This is my go to also, as basq says not the fastest, but flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

DopeTech wrote: »
    Virgin media player can be sideloaded to android TV boxes. It's not optimised for the big screen though so navigation is pants but you can usually get to what you want.

Is it stable or does it crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the difference between the new pro model and the new ordinary model.

I have a 2017 shield already but just thinking of getting another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

kala85 wrote: »
    Is it stable or does it crash

I only ever watched a few episodes of things on it but no, no crashing.

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the difference between the new pro model and the new ordinary model.

I have a 2017 shield already but just thinking of getting another one

The 2019 has added Dolby vision, Dolby Atmos and AI upscaling and the new remote with the Netflix button. If these don't interest you the 2017 is a better buy with a gaming controller. Performance wise there is negligible difference between the 2017 and the 2019

The tube model 2019 is mostly the same, same Tegra X1 chip but with only 2GB ram and one USB port. There's also a software difference, the tube is 32 bit and cannot run a Plex server and some emulators. It's fine if you're just using it as a streaming device

I noticed recently that my shield doesn't seem to be displaying in 4k anymore, tried tinkering with the settings both on the shield and on the TV but not making any difference.

The PS4 is grand, turn it on and you get the HDR notification in the bottom corner, has me tearing out the hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anybody experience a sound delay on the shield 2019, eg watching Netflix and sound cuts out for split second. Have the of TV hooked up to a sound bar ? Is there a case for interference maybe , don't get it if I watch Netflix on the lg OS

OmegaGene wrote: »
    try swapping the hdmi cables

Yep. Worked a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Never noticed HDR notice on the shield

Never noticed HDR notice on the shield

If you’re watching 4k then it comes up on the screen

Is that not a function of the TV?

Both

Yes but the displaying of the HDR icon, is that not a function of the TV?

• Advertisement

If you’re watching 4k then it comes up on the screen

Thanks,as I've a 4K TV I tried it a while ago ,nada, definitely Disney through the TV,and the smallies PS4 scream 4K,but na shield is hiding, though TBF my IPTV goes through it and it's good but definitely nowhere near 4K

Advertisement