Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

No speed issues on any of my 3 shields

I have my virgin media router in bridge mode and use my own router (Archer C7)

I have DHCP disabled on the linksys router and thats handled by pihole on a raspberry pi.

I also run my own recursive DNS server on the raspberry pi by using unbound.

NordVPN is running on the 3 shields 24/7 and I'm using the wireguard protocol (Nordlynx), which is much quicker than OpenVPN.

I added Netflix as a "Trusted App" in NordVPN so i don't have to keep disabling Nord when I want to use Netflix.

The 3 shields are flat out all day, every day with Netflix, IPTV, Plex etc

No issues at all, no freezing, buffering etc and I like the privacy of my setup (Nord, Pihole & Unbound)

I wonder is it worth resetting my Shield? I'd rather not as it's a pain to add back in everything. But I'd rather rule it out before going back to ISP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

chewed wrote: »
    I wonder is it worth resetting my Shield? I'd rather not as it's a pain to add back in everything. But I'd rather rule it out before going back to ISP!

I had a similar issue regarding speeds. I reset the Shield and bought a new Cat6 or 7 cable and havent looked back since. I found I had a lot of sh1te on the Shield that I never used, so that was all cleared. Not sure if it was the reset or the cable....but I now get close to 450mbit download and 50mbit upload on the Shield (connected directly to the Fritzbox), with NordVPN running I am getting close to 300mbit and 25mbit upload via my cable operator.

I had a similar issue regarding speeds. I reset the Shield and bought a new Cat6 or 7 cable and havent looked back since. I found I had a lot of sh1te on the Shield that I never used, so that was all cleared. Not sure if it was the reset or the cable....but I now get close to 450mbit download and 50mbit upload on the Shield (connected directly to the Fritzbox), with NordVPN running I am getting close to 300mbit and 25mbit upload via my cable operator.

Cheers for that. Sounds like a reset might be advisable then! I have a cat6 cable currently, but tried other cables and ports with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

To the folk having issue with speeds on their shield.
    Can I ask, are you running your speed tests whilst any VPN is enabled?

That will place a limit on your connection that is outside your and your ISPs control.

As an example, I have a VPN tunnel setup on my router for my shields WAN connections.
    When it's switched on, my speed test can vary anywhere between 50-350.

When it's switched off my connection maxes at 360.

banie01 wrote: »

That will place a limit on your connection that is outside your and your ISPs control.

As an example, I have a VPN tunnel setup on my router for my shields WAN connections.

No, I have my VPN turned off whilst running the speed tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

As above, I have NordVPN on the shield directly and it runs fine with split tunneling for the stuff I didnt want to hide, didnt like it on the router. More than enough to do what I want anyway. Important is to connect to a server close to you, in my case even though I am in Germany it runs faster if I connect to Holland for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Amazon Warehouse has a few Shield Tubes in stock for £111.62 (less than 1x1" scratch on the device). Who cares if there is, I have bought 2 from the Warehouse so far and the scratch was tiny, next to the power connection port. These go really fast (I have a Keepa alert for them) and there is only 4 of them, go go go! ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07Z6QQZPF/?condition=used

BANPdQv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

All, Just got the Shield TV Pro, searching various forums to try and find the answer to this question....
    How do I transfer files from my computer to a USB drive connected to the Shield? Getting write access was simple on the Zidoo X9S i've switched from but can't get a simple answer to this anywhere!

Apologies in advance as i know probably asked before but coudln't find any simple guide, and it's late and I'm tired :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

All, Just got the Shield TV Pro, searching various forums to try and find the answer to this question.... How do I transfer files from my computer to a USB drive connected to the Shield?

Haven't I read somewhere that USB drives aren't recommended for the Shield because they keep running when the device is in standby mode and eventually burn out or something as a result? Has that issue been sorted?

Haven't I read somewhere that USB drives aren't recommended for the Shield because they keep running when the device is in standby mode and eventually burn out or something as a result? Has that issue been sorted?

Oh i hadn't heard that, I splashed out and treated myself just thinking I was getting the most powerful least hassle option out there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

USB thumb drives have been known to overheat and burn out when plugged in direct but a USB hub fixes that. I'm using one for 2 years

USB thumb drives have been known to overheat and burn out when plugged in direct but a USB hub fixes that. I'm using one for 2 years

Maybe they've fixed it on the new one, else I'll get a hub thank you.
    I'll research over weekend

Have you a way of coping files from your computer to drives plugged into the shiled over the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Maybe they've fixed it on the new one, else I'll get a hub thank you.
    I'll research over weekend

Have you a way of coping files from your computer to drives plugged into the shield over the network?

If you are doing a one time move of a lot of media etc.Then firstly connect up the Drive to the Shield and allow the Shield to create the NVIDIA Shied folder as this will be the only editable folder on the drive.You can then disconnect the drive and connect up to your laptop and drag and drop as usual and create your sub-folders within the Drive folder that the Shield has created.
    You can then map the Drive once reconnected to the Shield and just drag and drop after this for the addition of any future media.

If its only a small bit of media/data then map the Drive onto your computer and again go to the Nvidia Shield folder that was created and again set up the sub folder structure and then drag and drop again.

If you are doing a one time move of a lot of media etc.Then firstly connect up the Drive to the Shield and allow the Shield to create the NVIDIA Shied folder as this will be the only editable folder on the drive.You can then disconnect the drive and connect up to your laptop and drag and drop as usual and create your sub-folders within the Drive folder that the Shield has created.
    You can then map the Drive once reconnected to the Shield and just drag and drop after this for the addition of any future media.

If its only a small bit of media/data then map the Drive onto your computer and again go to the Nvidia Shield folder that was created and again set up the sub folder structure and then drag and drop again.

Great thanks for that, I had read something about copying stuff to that folder but didn't fully understand it! So simple now that I know that answer, much apprecited
    EDIT: Works for windows but my linux mint is throwing up some issues, which a quick google shows to be common! Speeds aren't that great mind you, was getting up to 30 MB/s on my zidoo, more like 2 MB/s with a wired connection to the box from 1GB router, wireless from laptop with 5Ghz wireless. Most look up to see if normally this slow!

EDIT: Set up an FTP server on the shield so that I can send files to it from linux.....a learning experience, took a bit of time! Speeds are a bit better. I'm wondering would a powered usb 3.0 hub speed things up as I've got two 4 tb hard drives pugged in, maybe not getting enough power!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, been through 2 expensive ones so far.

Bought a USB extender cable and have USB plugged in that.

And have a fairly large microSD in Shield TV so hoping for more luck there.

Must give Nvidia's support a thumbs up here.

I have 3 of the 2015 model shield, latest purchased in 2017 and all well outside any warranty period and honestly even if I was feeling particularly belligerent outside the scope of SOGA too in all fairness.

One of the power supplies is failing, causing intermittent but fairly regulate reboots.
    Quite annoying.

I contacted Nvidia's web chat, looking to buy a replacement as I couldn't find it listed and a few questions later they offered me a free replacement.!

Anyone having problems with bbc iplayer? Tried to launch it today and got black screen with web page not found error on top left

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Can you rent 4k movies on the shield in Ireland? I’ve tried Google play & Rakuten but can’t find any 4k content.

zac8 wrote: »
    Can you rent 4k movies on the shield in Ireland? I’ve tried Google play & Rakuten but can’t find any 4k content.

Yes should be available
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7184994?hl=en

Is your Shield connected using Ethernet? Wireless could limit you to HD

Yes should be available
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7184994?hl=en

Is your Shield connected using Ethernet? Wireless could limit you to HD

Yes its wired. I can watch 4k content on Netflix.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Netflix 4k isn’t actually steaming true 4k it’s a very down scaled version from what I’ve read online, what speed are you getting on the shield ?

87mbps. Netflix & prime are showing the hdr logo for content.

87mbps. Netflix & prime are showing the hdr logo for content.

It may be 4k but at a reduced bitrate to save bandwidth
    https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-degrading-hd-video-quality-europe-bit-rates-1234605316/

My issue is that I can’t see 4k movies to rent on Play or Rakuten. Are they only available in HD in Ireland does anyone know?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to rent or buy 4k movies in Ireland as the previous poster mentioned

After searching it seems there was a bug preventing some apps including Play from serving 4k content. Maybe thats my issue. Only got the shield the other day so all new to me. I can rent 4k movies on my 4k tv Play app but not through the shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I have 3 of the 2015 model shield, latest purchased in 2017 and all well outside any warranty period and honestly even if I was feeling particularly belligerent outside the scope of SOGA too in all fairness.

One of the power supplies is failing, causing intermittent but fairly regulate reboots.
    Quite annoying.

I contacted Nvidia's web chat, looking to buy a replacement as I couldn't find it listed and a few questions later they offered me a free replacement.!

Did they ask for proof of purchase at all

Did they ask for proof of purchase at all

Of course, and it was supplied.

After searching it seems there was a bug preventing some apps including Play from serving 4k content. Maybe thats my issue. Only got the shield the other day so all new to me. I can rent 4k movies on my 4k tv Play app but not through the shield.

I’m wrong - I can only rent hd on Google Play on 3 different devices I’ve tried and also through a browser. I don’t have a vpn - is that the issue? Appreciate any help because I bought the shield specifically to rent 4k movies!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bill36

Hi anyone selling NVidia shield pro 2019? Or where I can find a good price on it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Quite annoying.

Had a similar experience with their customer service myself when the original remote decided it was only going to work when it felt like it.

They picked it up from my office, DHLd it to Netherlands, emailed me to inform me engineers had it and had started to work on it, then emailed me to say a new one was on the way out to me, again with DHL tracking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

Does anyone know how to get the Shield to mount an internal SSD sitting in a Win 10 pc both of which are connected to the same router via ethernet cable?

The Shield sees the PC but won't connect as a guest and won't accept my normal login and password for the PC. I don't have a network username & login for the PC so I'm stumped.

I'm trying to mount an 8TB SSD which has all my Plex content as I want to use the Shield as a backup server. The PC currently acts as the main server.

Has anyone overcome this problem in the past who can share the solution with me?

Advertisement