Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

10 grand to invest..where will I put it..shares or an investment..??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

butrasgali wrote: »
    10 grand to invest..where will I put it..shares or an investment..??

Have you a degiro account, probably a good place to start if you want to try buying your own shares. Start small until your very comfortable.
    You need to ask yourself how much you'd like the 10k to earn in how long a time frame. How quick your need the money back and how much your prepared to loose. How active your going to be with your investment, active or lazy.
    We all have different opinions on what you should buy so safest not listen to any of us and do your own homework but don't be afraid to ask for an opinion.

I have a davy account,some provident resources and c and c shares are in there a long time ..basically wasting away ..could do with a more active type share..is a degiro account better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Hi folks, I have a really newbie share question, I was looking to buy very small amount of Hive with Degiro, say 20 shares, I get a message saying this amount is not a percentage of lot (100) or something like that.
    Is this saying to me that I have to buy in lots of 100 ?
    Sorry for the complete novice question.

What's your opinion on dalata or applegreen..in Ireland and I'm also interested in valeant (vrx)in America..

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have a really newbie share question, I was looking to buy very small amount of Hive with Degiro, say 20 shares, I get a message saying this amount is not a percentage of lot (100) or something like that.
    Is this saying to me that I have to buy in lots of 100 ?
    Sorry for the complete novice question.

Hive I think your need to see what happen when the shares come out of lockup Monday, that's a very small amount about €25 worth.
    I think you can get that error if your entering the buy price wrong, make sure your using a limit order when buying. Let's say the price is 0.905 and your entering .905 it'll give that error, I'm nearly sure there's no minimum order.
    Thats a very risky stock, I know some of us are in it but go into it with your eyes open. Don't buy it on Monday. Might be a good day trade Monday through.
    If your buying in CAD is €2 + .01 a share and FX charge. Borse is €7 something.

What's your opinion on dalata or applegreen..in Ireland and I'm also interested in valeant (vrx)in America..

Don't know anything about dalata or applegreen always found Irish stocks very quite, the bots don't like Valeant even though there guide is way over the current share price https://online.capitalcube.com/#!/stock/us/nyse/vrx earnings report on the 28th this month could be one to watch alright, lot of rubbish here but worth watching the bullboards for news http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/bullboard/t.vrx/valeant-pharmaceuticals-intl-inc/1
    Canadian, cough, ahem, "pharmaceutical" stocks are on fire the last while A few of us here have made great gains. Can't give any recommendations as haven't been following them lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I too have noticed I can only buy shares in multiples of 100 for HIVE. Have a few thousand now which is a lot more than I planned.... good feeling in my gut.

I've way to many as well, bought my first bunch on the borse and that's an uneven number but I've an even number on the tsv so maybe borse let's your buy any amount. Not sure.
    I'll be buying more this week that's all I know. I really hope we've got this right. Everything is pointing towards this being a killer stock this year.

Same, another deposit Monday morning ahead of opening then wait to see it any opportunities arise. An exciting week ahead I reckon. Thinking of a 12 month hold anyway so not afraid of any dips in relation to the potential sell off. Heres hoping.

• Advertisement

Yea I'm thinking the same, wasn't my original intention but everything staying on track wouldn't dream of selling, still it's a long way to Christmas wouldn't mind dipping in and out and playing the price swings. Might run away on me though doing that.

https://medium.com/@blockxcapital/hive-blockchain-technologies-ltd-hive-the-base-case-for-268-upside-596a695b9331

Can't remember if this link was posted, apologies if so. Interesting reading considering the then price.

I listened to an the latest interview with Frank Homes and he's figures tie in with the base model in that example. That was Friday and what there currently mining.
    If you were to put any heed in the billboard I think a few of them reckon the shorts are the same guys with the $1.50 shares coming out of lock up today so they can now cover their short positions which could cause a spike today when they start doing that. An expected drop at opening though, that's all highly speculative.
    My buy orders will be at $1.50 or .99c on deborse. Not expecting to get filled but will review after first 10 minutes trading.

I listened to an the latest interview with Frank Homes and he's figures tie in with the base model in that example. That was Friday and what there currently mining.
    If you were to put any heed in the billboard I think a few of them reckon the shorts are the same guys with the $1.50 shares coming out of lock up today so they can now cover their short positions which could cause a spike today when they start doing that. An expected drop at opening though, that's all highly speculative.
    My buy orders will be at $1.50 or .99c on deborse. Not expecting to get filled but will review after first 10 minutes trading.

Eyes peeled from 2.30

Eyes peeled from 2.30

Up 10% this morning in Frankfurt, have my order in a 98cent, Not a hope!:D

Last € 1.32
    Day diff. € 0.12 / (10.00%)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Day off from work today so I woke up late,

I was expecting to see my HIVE investment reduced by about 30% today, but instead find its up !

Still early in the day/week!

All depends on what happens today i'd say, these are the last cheap shares at 1.50 the next bunch are at 2.80 in march. Think were going down a bit at open then onwards and upwards. It'll be interesting to see the volume, the other day when it was starting to look like we were out of the woods about a million shares moved in the first 20 minutes. If we have a big volume day today were going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Think I'll take a punt on Dalata and Providence Resources.

All depends on what happens today i'd say, these are the last cheap shares at 1.50 the next bunch are at 2.80 in march. Think were going down a bit at open then onwards and upwards. It'll be interesting to see the volume, the other day when it was starting to look like we were out of the woods about a million shares moved in the first 20 minutes. If we have a big volume day today were going up.

What do you make of the average volume so far today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

Think I'll take a punt on Dalata ....

Hi,

No doubt they have proven to be a good business, demand for hotel rooms in Ireland is high, so room rates are good and hopefully going to stay that way for a couple of years to come but one thing - I think I recall reading / hearing that they intended to push harder into the UK market. I can't recall the details, but might be worth checking out, then make your decision based on what you think the future holds for the UK, not just Ireland.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

What do you make of the average volume so far today ?

It's very low we had this done in half an hour the other day before it dried up, that's the day I thought we'd see the squeeze.
    Hopefully they'll have some weetabix for lunch.

Saying that we've done 400k since I posted above and we're up 8% doesn't look like my stinky bids will get filled. Not what I was expecting today.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

No doubt they have proven to be a good business, demand for hotel rooms in Ireland is high, so room rates are good and hopefully going to stay that way for a couple of years to come but one thing - I think I recall reading / hearing that they intended to push harder into the UK market. I can't recall the details, but might be worth checking out, then make your decision based on what you think the future holds for the UK, not just Ireland.

I agree. Think I might have read the same report! TBH a few years ago I wanted to throw a few euro behind them just after they went public (at about€270 or something) but in my wisdom I bought €1000 worth of PTSB shares instead.:o

Hive trading at $1.88 on marketwatch but just had two orders filled at $1.86 no hesitation.

Done increasing position for now (unless it gets down to $1.70 or less).

I'm still waiting for an entry during the week, looks like we're stuck in this range until earnings at the earliest. Won't be loading more after my next buy as I'll have my original target amount of shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Think I'll take a punt on Dalata and Providence Resources.

Dalata trades off a PE of about 22 which is pretty high. What this means is very good future earnings growth is already factored into the current share price soo although I like the Dalata story, I would wait and see if the price goes down a bit more during the current turmoil and try and buy on a dip.

Providence is an interesting punt. Maybe not for widows & orphans though :=]

Is degiro safe to invest with

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Is degiro safe to invest with

Wrong forum, plenty of threads on Degiro in investment forum, you just need to make an effort to read through!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any opinions on crh? It's crashed quiet a bit over the last 6 months, I'd expect it to rebound into the summer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Dalata trades off a PE of about 22 which is pretty high. What this means is very good future earnings growth is already factored into the current share price soo although I like the Dalata story, I would wait and see if the price goes down a bit more during the current turmoil and try and buy on a dip.

Providence is an interesting punt. Maybe not for widows & orphans though :=]

Can I ask who you compared the Price/Earnings ratio with? Don't think there's another hotel group on the ISE. I did look at one or 2 in London but their P/E was negative.

Advertisement